(If we go down) what will you miss about the Premierleague?

Wiggles31

Are Championship clubs really charging over £30 for away fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwich, Ipswich and Leeds definitely charged a few above that, think maybe Derby did too. I'm sure i remember reading that Championship fans pay more than premier league fans on average for away days (can't remember when that was) in part because gate receipts are more important to income so they charge more for perceived "big clubs".

Anyway aside from the £30 away tickets, which i believe are coming to an end or being reviewed soon anyway, i can't think of much i'm going to miss.

Living abroad obviously the main thing will be televised games. There will be zero streaming so being able to watch 38 games a season will drop down to a handful unless we get PL teams in the cups.

- Winning or drawing against some of the biggest teams in world football.

- Full stadiums and going to quality modern stadiums. And missing out on new ones ie Spurs.

- If I still had a season ticket I would say paying £700 to watch some of the best players in the world.

As I think I mentioned somewhere before people like to do the whole "**** the pl its all about money, the championship is proper football blah blah" when the reality is it is exactly the same.

Championship clubs spent more than five times as much as all of the French, German, Italian and Spanish second tier clubs combined last season "Clubs spent an estimated £297.9m on transfers, with the equivalent clubs from France, Germany, Italy and Spain spending just £57.3m between them - five time less than their English counterparts". "Sides who finished in the top six spent an estimated £102.8m" Last season alone Newcastle spent £60m on players. Wolves spent £67m in the past 18 months.

The idea that we will go down and money is somehow no longer important is a joke.

Its going to be so much fun in the championship. The good old days where we won 57 of our 184 matches last time we went down. That season where we lost 21 games was so much fun....

Being able to watch some of the best saints football in decades, and against some of the best players in the world....

But why would we want to see that as fans when we could be scrapping in the lower leagues like the good ol days... At least we can win some games right? Even if they mean less than f'all.

By the time we get to the end of this season, I wouldn't describe the last 76 matches as "the best Saints football in decades".

Whereas the last 92 matches in L1 and the Championship, I would. Absolutely brilliant. And they meant a hell of a lot more than "less than f'all".

But that's just me.

By the time we get to the end of this season, I wouldn't describe the last 76 matches as "the best Saints football in decades".

Whereas the last 92 matches in L1 and the Championship, I would. Absolutely brilliant. And they meant a hell of a lot more than "less than f'all".

But that's just me.

Personally I wouldn't put League 1 and Championship over our poch and koeman seasons. For me the first game back against city was incredibly special, as were the 8-0 and 6-1 games, wins at old trafford and anfield, as well as watching players like Mane in a saints shirt. Can't think of a lower league game that comes close. But to each his own.

Although i do have a soft spot for the 2-2 Norwich cup game with Papa :)

Edited by Saint86

Personally I wouldn't put League 1 and Championship over our poch and koeman seasons. For me the first game back against city was incredibly special, as were the 8-0 and 6-1 games, wins at old trafford and anfield, as well as watching players like Mane in a saints shirt. Can't think of a lower league game that comes close. But to each his own.

Although i do have a soft spot for the 2-2 Norwich cup game with Papa :)

Agree. There are good games in the championship and L1 -often reflecting the ebb and flow of the game rather than our league position (thus our 3-2 win away at Preston under the Dutch clowns remains one of my favourite games); but nothing beats winning at one of the big clubs, silencing 50,000 fans, outsinging them and seeing their shellshocked, complacent little faces. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body wants to watch their side playing at the highest level possible.

Agree. There are good games in the championship and L1 -often reflecting the ebb and flow of the game rather than our league position (thus our 3-2 win away at the Preston under the Dutch clowns is one of my fav games); but nothing beats winning at one of the big clubs, silencing 50,000 fans, outsinging them and seeing their shellshocked, complacent little faces. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body wants to watch their side playing at the highest level possible.

Yes, i understand the opposite mentality. But ultimately it is one of thinking we can't hack it at the top level, so rather than try we'd rather be a big fish in a small pond... its fun for a while, but ultimately demeaning and pointless.

Better to compete at the best level we can. Always.

And anyway, we may yet survive! I think we'll know if there is a chance after Leicester and this weekend.

Edited by Saint86

Agree. There are good games in the championship and L1 -often reflecting the ebb and flow of the game rather than our league position (thus our 3-2 win away at Preston under the Dutch clowns remains one of my favourite games); but nothing beats winning at one of the big clubs, silencing 50,000 fans, outsinging them and seeing their shellshocked, complacent little faces. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body wants to watch their side playing at the highest level possible.

Not quite I want to see my side winning the level is less relevant than the winning. If that's at the highest level great we would all take I'm sure. I wouldn't describe the last season and a half as enjoyable or fun though. The seasons before that were good but they still lacked something of the excitement and fun that winning promotion over two seasons gave me.

I'd enjoy a season winning promotion from league 1 a lot more than a season of coming 12th in the PL but maybe that's just me.

Yes, i understand the opposite mentality. But ultimately it is one of thinking we can't hack it at the top level, so rather than try we'd rather be a big fish in a small pond... its fun for a while, but ultimately demeaning and pointless.

Better to compete at the best level we can. Always.

And anyway, we may yet survive! I think we'll know if there is a chance after Leicester and this weekend.

Yes that's the point we haven't competed this season we've been shyte I wouldn't want to be like, say, Sunderland (or even saints of old) hanging on for grim death season after season just scraping by and then rinse and repeat. Ultimately even if you become a solid mid table side in the Pl there comes a point when it all becomes a bit meh because you realise that's as good as it gets unless you get and Arab or Russian sugar daddy to push you on.

Presume those who won't miss a thing will be hoping we don't get promoted?

Relegation will be gutting. PL is where its at. Championship is an afterthought and everyone in it is trying to get out of it.

That's such a shyte argument of course people want to get promoted because it means you have a good season with lots of wins which is what everyone wants. Doesn't mean you have to love the destination the journey there can be the most fun part.

Nothing, I would rather be a big fish in a small pond than a small joke fish in a big pond.

Rubbish kick off's, big time charlie's, tourists, sky bigging up rubbish

The championship and div 1 were in my opinion, great times.

Nothing, I would rather be a big fish in a small pond than a small joke fish in a big pond.

yes. when you are winning like 2009-10/2010-11/2011-12.

the rest of it was awful.

That's the rub of it imo fans want to see their team win. Losing most weeks is shyte whether its in the PL or league 2 winning most weeks makes for a good season regardless of the league we are in. I'd enjoy a season winning most weeks in league 1 more than a season finishing 17th in the PL but that might just be me.

You may think of us as a "small joke fish" but I don't and neither do other Saints fans that I know. We have the 11th biggest avreage home gates in the top flight and the 12th biggest in the country this century and social media figures indicate that we have the 10th biggest fanbase. To want to hide below the top 20 clubs because it's easier is pathetic. We have been in the top flight for 41 of the last 50 years. It's where we belong.

I will miss being the top club on the south coast. To be a league below Bournemouth and Brighton is frankly embarrassing. Where tf is your pride?

Where tf is your pride?

my pride is being a saints fan for almost 40yrs regardless how we are playing. Pride like Leeds fans, is forever regardless of division, and to think because we have a large social media following equates to pride, is frankly, wrong. Pride comes from watching the club grow and develop, unlike saints atm, who are dying a slow and painful death as a direct result of poor management.

I wasn't saying you did. But, now you've said that.... within the last 76 premier league matches you'll find Koeman ;)
I did say "by the time we get to end of the season". Basically I could be bothered to add up last season and the 33 we've played this.

There are plenty of pretty tedious Prem seasons we've had in our history and nothing to suggest that next season is going to see us "playing our best football" or whatever if we stay up. I'm perfectly reconciled with idea that a Championship season could just as enjoyable as another drab Prem season.

With Mr. Invisible in control I doubt we'll be a big fish in the small pond. Unless by small pond you mean League 1 or 2.

Yep.

Oh the championship will be so much fun. Who wants foreign mercenaries like Mane playing for them when they can get mercenaries like Hajto and Licka. It is galling when home grown talent like multi capped England players like Lallana join Champion League teams like Liverpool. Wait until home grown players like Chris Baird get snapped up by the likes of Fulham.

Our last championship season was great fun. Even more so with rose tinted glasses. Our previous 4 championship seasons were complete s hyte. Unless we can find another Markus prepared to substantially invest in the team we risk being another so called big club in the championship along with the likes of Villa , Forest , Derby , Leeds etc etc

Oh the championship will be so much fun. Who wants foreign mercenaries like Mane playing for them when they can get mercenaries like Hajto and Licka. It is galling when home grown talent like multi capped England players like Lallana join Champion League teams like Liverpool. Wait until home grown players like Chris Baird get snapped up by the likes of Fulham.

Our last championship season was great fun. Even more so with rose tinted glasses. Our previous 4 championship seasons were complete s hyte. Unless we can find another Markus prepared to substantially invest in the team we risk being another so called big club in the championship along with the likes of Villa , Forest , Derby , Leeds etc etc

I don't know why there are multiple arguments like this harking back to the likes of Lallana and Mane etc etc.

If we stay up next season we still haven't got a Lallana and we haven't got a Mane. And we've been pretty sh it in this division this season.

No one is saying we'd rather be in the Championship than finish 6th in the Prem as we did under Koeman.

But what some are saying is that being in the Championship next year might not be so bad if the prospect is another drab Prem season of nothingness.

And the chances are we are going down so you can post all the comments you like - at some point you'll have to get used to it.

Wolves have been through absolute misery this season.

See, it's easy this.

Indeed. They are having a great time. Backed by the £70m their owner spent on players over the last few windows.

Fair play to them, they got a Chinese owner who seems to have a bit of ambition. Let's hope ours does the same?

Until the financial investigation starts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That will be interesting to see what happens with that. I know they paid a **** load for Helder Costa and Ruben Neves. Who are way better than that level. Can only imagine they are on monster contracts.

Living abroad obviously the main thing will be televised games. There will be zero streaming so being able to watch 38 games a season will drop down to a handful unless we get PL teams in the cups.

- Winning or drawing against some of the biggest teams in world football.

- Full stadiums and going to quality modern stadiums. And missing out on new ones ie Spurs.

- If I still had a season ticket I would say paying £700 to watch some of the best players in the world.

As I think I mentioned somewhere before people like to do the whole "**** the pl its all about money, the championship is proper football blah blah" when the reality is it is exactly the same.

Championship clubs spent more than five times as much as all of the French, German, Italian and Spanish second tier clubs combined last season "Clubs spent an estimated £297.9m on transfers, with the equivalent clubs from France, Germany, Italy and Spain spending just £57.3m between them - five time less than their English counterparts". "Sides who finished in the top six spent an estimated £102.8m" Last season alone Newcastle spent £60m on players. Wolves spent £67m in the past 18 months.

The idea that we will go down and money is somehow no longer important is a joke.

Its going to be so much fun in the championship. The good old days where we won 57 of our 184 matches last time we went down. That season where we lost 21 games was so much fun....

Seems to me given what you'll miss about the premier league all you're interested in are the other teams anyway. Pay £700 to watch some of the best players in the world, go to quality modern stadiums and get to see plucky little saints get a draw against some of the worlds biggest teams. It's all about who the other team are, who is playing for the other team and where the other team plays. You ain't a saints fan mate, you're a premier league consumer.

Seems to me given what you'll miss about the premier league all you're interested in are the other teams anyway. Pay £700 to watch some of the best players in the world, go to quality modern stadiums and get to see plucky little saints get a draw against some of the worlds biggest teams. It's all about who the other team are, who is playing for the other team and where the other team plays. You ain't a saints fan mate, you're a premier league consumer.

As I said at the start I can't watch games anymore in person. So I am looking at it in terms of how I can watch/follow us. That will be much harder without the ability to 'acquire' ways to do so.

Just because I can't go doesn't make me less of a fan. I had a season ticket up until 2 seasons ago so I saw the vast majority of our home and away games when we last were relegated. And personally I didn't find it that much fun.

My point was that even if we had **** players and the football from our team was not good. You could still see other teams with players who are world class. There is no shame in getting dicked by teams like City because we are not expected to beat those teams. How many teams in the championship will we not be expecting to beat?

As you say that makes me a bit of a consumer but you expect value from what you pay right? The high ticket prices will still be there in the championship. The difference is you will pay the same for watching lower quality football.

The players will still be on high wages, the difference is we will be paying them to players of even less quality to what we have now.

Money has ruined the whole game not just the PL. To think things will be different when we are not in it is a tad deluded isn't it.

I don't know why there are multiple arguments like this harking back to the likes of Lallana and Mane etc etc.

If we stay up next season we still haven't got a Lallana and we haven't got a Mane. And we've been pretty sh it in this division this season.

No one is saying we'd rather be in the Championship than finish 6th in the Prem as we did under Koeman.

But what some are saying is that being in the Championship next year might not be so bad if the prospect is another drab Prem season of nothingness.

And the chances are we are going down so you can post all the comments you like - at some point you'll have to get used to it.

Its so selective. From my memory, the only truly good season in the championship was the last one... The rest were pretty dire. Even the ones chasing promotion weren't that great. The others were terrible and far worse than this season.

As I said at the start I can't watch games anymore in person. So I am looking at it in terms of how I can watch/follow us. That will be much harder without the ability to 'acquire' ways to do so.

Just because I can't go doesn't make me less of a fan. I had a season ticket up until 2 seasons ago so I saw the vast majority of our home and away games when we last were relegated. And personally I didn't find it that much fun.

My point was that even if we had **** players and the football from our team was not good. You could still see other teams with players who are world class. There is no shame in getting dicked by teams like City because we are not expected to beat those teams. How many teams in the championship will we not be expecting to beat?

As you say that makes me a bit of a consumer but you expect value from what you pay right? The high ticket prices will still be there in the championship. The difference is you will pay the same for watching lower quality football.

The players will still be on high wages, the difference is we will be paying them to players of even less quality to what we have now.

Money has ruined the whole game not just the PL. To think things will be different when we are not in it is a tad deluded isn't it.

Personally i'm not interested in who the other team is or who plays for the other team. Would I rather see us play a Man City with De Bruyne, Aguero, Kompany, etc or with them all out injured? Without them every day of the week, because we'd have more chance of winning. And damn right, give me a season of games where we've got a great chance of winning every week, rather than going there with the attitude as you put it "no shame in getting dicked as we aren't expected to win anyway" As a saints fan there is far more pleasure in seeing saints win 1-0 against Stoke than losing 5-0 against Man City, but hey, the stadium was nice and I got to take a nice picture of Sterling when he took a corner and Aguero, isn't he amazing, it's an honour to breathe the same air as him.

Like I said, you're a consumer, in your posts it's all about value for money, the quality of the football, even if Saints getting smashed you've still enjoyed seeing other players run rings round us, then to cap it all claim that it's deluded to think Saints fans might actually enjoy seeing games where we've got a decent chance of winning more often than we don't.

That will be interesting to see what happens with that. I know they paid a **** load for Helder Costa and Ruben Neves. Who are way better than that level. Can only imagine they are on monster contracts.
Just wonder if they're doing a P*mpey.

Personally i'm not interested in who the other team is or who plays for the other team. Would I rather see us play a Man City with De Bruyne, Aguero, Kompany, etc or with them all out injured? Without them every day of the week, because we'd have more chance of winning. And damn right, give me a season of games where we've got a great chance of winning every week, rather than going there with the attitude as you put it "no shame in getting dicked as we aren't expected to win anyway" As a saints fan there is far more pleasure in seeing saints win 1-0 against Stoke than losing 5-0 against Man City, but hey, the stadium was nice and I got to take a nice picture of Sterling when he took a corner and Aguero, isn't he amazing, it's an honour to breathe the same air as him.

Like I said, you're a consumer, in your posts it's all about value for money, the quality of the football, even if Saints getting smashed you've still enjoyed seeing other players run rings round us, then to cap it all claim that it's deluded to think Saints fans might actually enjoy seeing games where we've got a decent chance of winning more often than we don't.

This. Since we've been in the PL we've unfortunately gathered any number of "fans" who are only pleased Saints are in that division because it lets them see the big names.

I get more than a little annoyed when I have people around me at SM swooning over opposition moves, saying how brilliant they are and how Saints of course can't match them.

It's as bad as the arrogant away fans of the "big" clubs suggesting home fans only really attend to see the opposition. Which is sadly true in some cases.

I go to every game to watch Saints, cheer them on and hope they win. I don't give a toss about the opposition. The bigger they are, the harder I hope they'll fall.

Its so selective. From my memory, the only truly good season in the championship was the last one... The rest were pretty dire. Even the ones chasing promotion weren't that great. The others were terrible and far worse than this season.

Just to confirm you are massively enjoying this season and loved last season, right? Because you seem to have selected some of our greatest ever seasons as representative of our Premier League existence.

I'd take the Burley play off season over this one any day of the week.

Just to confirm you are massively enjoying this season and loved last season, right? Because you seem to have selected some of our greatest ever seasons as representative of our Premier League existence.

I'd take the Burley play off season over this one any day of the week.

You'd take our five seasons in the championship (2005/06-2008/09 and 2011/12) over the last six seasons in the premier league (including cup runs and Europe which were conditional on being in the PL)?

Edited by shurlock

You'd take our five seasons in the championship (2005/06-2008/09 and 2011/12) over the last six seasons in the premier league (including cup runs and Europe which were conditional on being in the PL)?

Europe was pretty depressing as it turned out. How many away goals did we score?

You don’t have to be in the PL to get into Europe.