(If we go down) what will you miss about the Premierleague?

Wiggles31

I don't know why there are multiple arguments like this harking back to the likes of Lallana and Mane etc etc.

If we stay up next season we still haven't got a Lallana and we haven't got a Mane. And we've been pretty sh it in this division this season.

No one is saying we'd rather be in the Championship than finish 6th in the Prem as we did under Koeman.

But what some are saying is that being in the Championship next year might not be so bad if the prospect is another drab Prem season of nothingness.

And the chances are we are going down so you can post all the comments you like - at some point you'll have to get used to it.

I would suggest that another drab season in the Premiership would be much better than a drab season in the Championship. We had plenty of those between 2005 and 2009.

..... and if Callum Slattery, Alfie Jones , Sam Gallagher or any of the other youngsters prove to be any good it will be so annoying to see them picked up by the likes of Brighton , Huddersfield or Bournemouth in the way that Baird and Surman left us.

The biggest miss for me is the profile. The Premier League is the highest profile domestic league on the planet. People all around the world know Southampton for Premier League reasons.

The consequences of relegation are felt throughout the city, not just by football fans.

That said, I can honestly say that the League One promotion year is the most I have enjoyed football, even going back to the early eighties and coming second. It was attacking, goal scoring, winning, big fish in a little pond, fun.

We're on a down-wards trajectory and I don't think that will bottom out next season, and unusually for our fan base, I think we will be aligned in our distaste for the board and senior figures within the club.

Gao will need to pull a rabbit from his hat in the summer, or we will quickly turn against him and he will quickly recognise that a Championship side, or possibly even a league one side, is not the vehicle that he wanted/needed.

Our revenue in League One was something like £15m if my memory serves. Not a lot you can do with that from overseas.

From being a financially well run club, to being £200m in debt to someone, with Championship income levels, is one almighty reversal of fortune.

Living abroad obviously the main thing will be televised games. There will be zero streaming so being able to watch 38 games a season will drop down to a handful unless we get PL teams in the cups.

- Winning or drawing against some of the biggest teams in world football.

- Full stadiums and going to quality modern stadiums. And missing out on new ones ie Spurs.

- If I still had a season ticket I would say paying £700 to watch some of the best players in the world.

As I think I mentioned somewhere before people like to do the whole "**** the pl its all about money, the championship is proper football blah blah" when the reality is it is exactly the same.

Championship clubs spent more than five times as much as all of the French, German, Italian and Spanish second tier clubs combined last season "Clubs spent an estimated £297.9m on transfers, with the equivalent clubs from France, Germany, Italy and Spain spending just £57.3m between them - five time less than their English counterparts". "Sides who finished in the top six spent an estimated £102.8m" Last season alone Newcastle spent £60m on players. Wolves spent £67m in the past 18 months.

The idea that we will go down and money is somehow no longer important is a joke.

Its going to be so much fun in the championship. The good old days where we won 57 of our 184 matches last time we went down. That season where we lost 21 games was so much fun....

Going to modern stadiums is one of the things i'm looking forward to getting rid of. Give me a proper football ground over a horrible soulless stadium any day of the week.

This is basically the new 'SaintsPlayerHD' stuff, we changed our website so I'd imagine we won't be using any of that integrated stuff.

Watching highlights on QUEST it is then....

The Football League's struggling Saturday night highlights show will be screened by low-profile freeview channel Quest from next season.

The official announcement will follow when the presenting team are known and the time of the broadcast, crucial to the show's success, is agreed.

The highlights have been shown at 9pm on Channel Five for the past three seasons, but the programme has never attracted the audiences expected for such a prime-time slot.

This is basically the new 'SaintsPlayerHD' stuff, we changed our website so I'd imagine we won't be using any of that integrated stuff.

Watching highlights on QUEST it is then....

iFollow is only available to clubs playing in the EFL during the 2017/18 season and who have opted in to utilise the iFollow platform. Any club which is not listed above will still be able to offer fans live match audio commentary of their games, but will provide their fans with access through their own club digital services should they wish to. We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Forest Green Rovers, Fulham, Hull City, Middlesbrough, Queens Park Rangers, Sunderland and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

So it'll be up to the club to provide their own service.

Edited by Saints foreva

Europe was pretty depressing as it turned out. How many away goals did we score?

You don’t have to be in the PL to get into Europe.

You don't need to be in the football league to get into Europe - not sure what your point is.

You don't need to be in the football league to get into Europe - not sure what your point is.

You said (or implied) that you have to be in the PL to get into Europe but winning the odd cup or two is possible for a team in any division.

I we were to win the FA Cup this season wouldn’t that give us Europa League?

You said (or implied) that you have to be in the PL to get into Europe but winning the odd cup or two is possible for a team in any division.

this will never happen. not in the next 50 years, and not in the last 35 either.

Load of rubbish on this thread, people saying they won’t miss anything about the Prem are kidding themselves. Seems like some people are pleased we are getting relegated?! The seasons after we got relegated to the Championship last time where absolutely awful are people forgetting that? Bar this season our stint in the Premier League this time round has been brilliant and I for one will miss it.

I don't really mind where we are as long as we're playing well. When we were 2nd in the Prem for such a long period under Koeman it was great. Getting our arses kicked every week, less so.

I liked the kids-for-a-quid in the Champ, evening games, cheaper tickets, different clubs to watch, more vocal support. I won't be heartbroken if it happens. I'll definitely get to more games.

Going to modern stadiums is one of the things i'm looking forward to getting rid of. Give me a proper football ground over a horrible soulless stadium any day of the week.

What would you consider a proper football ground then?

The season we went down I went to every away game. Off the top of my head I remember Millwall (because it was dead and half full). Plymouth as that was actually a decent day out even though we lost. And Luton because we went 0-2 up and ****ed it up in the 90th minute and lost 3-2. Other then them I don't recall us doing very well away that season and didn't leave thinking "at least I got to experience some epic atmosphere".

Turkish (don't know how to multi quote) - So if you appreciate other players that makes you not a supporter of your own club? Juventus the other day gave Ronaldo a standing ovation, does that make them idiots?

At the end of the day football is a game. I want Saints to win every game no matter who the opposition is. If it is City or if it is Rochdale. You have a far better chance of beating those teams if you are actually in the same league.

Since we went back to the PL we beat City three times. Remember winning 4-2? Winning twice at old Trafford? Thrashing Arsenal 4-0? Beating Liverpool at Anfield? Or possibly the game I will remember most when they were 0-2 up and we came back to win 3-2?

Beating Chelsea away?

Point being that as much as people want to bash the PL we had a team that could give any team including the big boys a game of football. The fact we can't anymore has nothing to do with the PL, it is to do with who runs the club and the decisions they have made over the past few seasons. Those things will not change one bit just because we are in a lower league. I wonder who would swap the season we finished 6th and finished just 3 points behind the Manchester clubs for any of the seasons we had in the championship including the one where we got promoted?

Load of rubbish on this thread, people saying they won’t miss anything about the Prem are kidding themselves. Seems like some people are pleased we are getting relegated?! The seasons after we got relegated to the Championship last time where absolutely awful are people forgetting that? Bar this season our stint in the Premier League this time round has been brilliant and I for one will miss it.

You thought last season's league campaign was "brilliant"? Really?

The season we went down I went to every away game. Off the top of my head I remember Millwall (because it was dead and half full). Plymouth as that was actually a decent day out even though we lost. And Luton because we went 0-2 up and ****ed it up in the 90th minute and lost 3-2. Other then them I don't recall us doing very well away that season and didn't leave thinking "at least I got to experience some epic atmosphere".

Turkish (don't know how to multi quote) - So if you appreciate other players that makes you not a supporter of your own club? Juventus the other day gave Ronaldo a standing ovation, does that make them idiots?

At the end of the day football is a game. I want Saints to win every game no matter who the opposition is. If it is City or if it is Rochdale. You have a far better chance of beating those teams if you are actually in the same league.

Since we went back to the PL we beat City three times. Remember winning 4-2? Winning twice at old Trafford? Thrashing Arsenal 4-0? Beating Liverpool at Anfield? Or possibly the game I will remember most when they were 0-2 up and we came back to win 3-2?

Beating Chelsea away?

Point being that as much as people want to bash the PL we had a team that could give any team including the big boys a game of football. The fact we can't anymore has nothing to do with the PL, it is to do with who runs the club and the decisions they have made over the past few seasons. Those things will not change one bit just because we are in a lower league. I wonder who would swap the season we finished 6th and finished just 3 points behind the Manchester clubs for any of the seasons we had in the championship including the one where we got promoted?

This 100%

You’re much more likely to win the FA cup if you have a PL quality side - indeed with the sheer number of games in the championship, teams chasing promotion are much more likely to field weakened teams for the cups than your average PL side, another poke in the eye to those who think that the championship is some kind of paradise lost.

Edited by shurlock

I don't really mind where we are as long as we're playing well. When we were 2nd in the Prem for such a long period under Koeman it was great. Getting our arses kicked every week, less so.

I liked the kids-for-a-quid in the Champ, evening games, cheaper tickets, different clubs to watch, more vocal support. I won't be heartbroken if it happens. I'll definitely get to more games.

This for me I'm really not precious about the league we are in as long as we are doing well at that level.

Beating Chelsea away?

Off the cuff games in the championship that’ll be better than the premier league and grounds I enjoy more are, forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford, qpr, Millwall, Bristol city, Fulham (if they don’t go up), Ipswich and Norwich.

I’ve probably missed a few too, but compared to a lot in the premier league they’re all far better away games.

Obviously winning at Chelsea was great, as was winning at white hart lane, but normally we get dicked in those grounds in an “atmosphere” where you can hear a pin drop, surrounded by people taking photos on their phones (in our end as well as theirs).

There’s far less day trippers in the lower leagues and it’s just generally more of a laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You thought last season's league campaign was "brilliant"? Really?

We finished 8th, admittedly the football wasn’t as good. I also saw us play at the San Siro and play in a league cup final. So no it wasn’t that bad, certainly a lot better than playing in the Champioship

We finished 8th, admittedly the football wasn’t as good. I also saw us play at the San Siro and play in a league cup final. So no it wasn’t that bad, certainly a lot better than playing in the Champioship

I went to the San Siro and Wembley too but they weren't league games.

For people that say how brilliant it all is there ain't half been some pi ssing and moaning over the last two seasons.

I will miss the excitement and anticipation of us making a new classy signing, who we all hoped would be the next big thing.

None of us had a clue who they were normally, but the hope and expectation normally outweighed reality!!

Memories - handing Arsenal their arses on a plate on Boxing Day 4-0, the fab Liverpool at home comeback and Koemans reaction, Wembley and the performance there last season, putting 8 past Sunderland, Manés record breaking hat trick etc

No Leeds or Cardiff fans at St Mary’s - total w4nkers the lot of them, sadly about to change...

Pochettino and has high press exciting game style, Koemans amazing end of season run.

All of the above were amazing memories, and may not be repeated or bettered for a very long time now.

To be replaced with:-

A sale of almost all of our players so mr silent can get most of his money back.

Nutters going on about how brilliant it will be to play academy players and do away with the foreign mercenaries. It won’t be. It will be terrible. Harrison Reed and Gallagher being viewed as the returning saviours- a season of long and deep disappointment awaits if that is next seasons reality.

More Sunderland than Villa I rather fear...

Not a lot in all honesty. It's about whether you are competitive, whatever the league. Our seasons in league 1 were a darn sight more enjoyable than the last 2 in the prem.

The club obviously want the prem cash but as a fan I'm indifferent.

Beating Chelsea away?

Lets be honest, you know damn well we are in the same relative league as Rochdale, as City are to us.

This is a case of fans assuming we can go down and be the big fish in a small pond. Doesn't always work out. And in fact, for the majority of our time in league 1 and the championship we weren't. We've actually been more successful in the prem this time around that the time between premier league football in the lower divisions.

Going down does not equate to great times. Often it equates to years of utter dross followed by a couple of seasons of going up the leagues (if you are lucky).

Just look at Leeds, Coventry, Sheffield United, Charlton, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday... amongst others.

Beating Chelsea away?

Which season? 2008/09? That Plymouth game -Boxing Day iirc- was horrendous. And I don’t recall us playing Millwall that season. Or do you mean the 2005/06 season?

Edited by shurlock

Off the cuff games in the championship that’ll be better than the premier league and grounds I enjoy more are, forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford, qpr, Millwall, Bristol city, Fulham (if they don’t go up), Ipswich and Norwich.

I’ve probably missed a few too, but compared to a lot in the premier league they’re all far better away games.

Obviously winning at Chelsea was great, as was winning at white hart lane, but normally we get dicked in those grounds in an “atmosphere” where you can hear a pin drop, surrounded by people taking photos on their phones (in our end as well as theirs).

There’s far less day trippers in the lower leagues and it’s just generally more of a laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest do you think St Mary's is a hotbed of day trippers and tourists?

You’re much more likely to win the FA cup if you have a PL quality side - indeed with the sheer number of games in the championship, teams chasing promotion are much more likely to field weakened teams for the cups than your average PL side, another poke in the eye to those who think that the championship is some kind of paradise lost.

Of course, but it’s not impossible.

Lets be honest, you know damn well we are in the same relative league as Rochdale, as City are to us.

This is a case of fans assuming we can go down and be the big fish in a small pond. Doesn't always work out. And in fact, for the majority of our time in league 1 and the championship we weren't. We've actually been more successful in the prem this time around that the time between premier league football in the lower divisions.

Going down does not equate to great times. Often it equates to years of utter dross followed by a couple of seasons of going up the leagues (if you are lucky).

Just look at Leeds, Coventry, Sheffield United, Charlton, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday... amongst others.

err we very much were we spent a million on league 1s top striker at the time, went out and bought another one of the leagues top scoring strikers from Southend that Jan, we went out and got Colchester's captain and convinced a Palace player to drop down a division to join us (for another million) the two seasons in league 1 we were one of if not the biggest fish in the pond...

In reality of course everyone will miss being in the Prem - its the goal of all clubs - however I don't think we can argue we don't deserve to go down - some absolute howlers decisions by the management of the club this season.

If you only win 5 games then you deserve to go.

The current bottom 3 all deserve to go.

I chatted about this last evening with my lad.

The only thing he said he'll miss is having the opportunity to go the the new Spurs ground and also beating Wolves. Plenty of new Wolves fans have appeared at his school/6th form who were once City/Utd/L'pool/Chelsea/Arsenal fans. They still don't appear to go though apparently. He takes great umbridge at that. As long as we still get to go to games, then he's content.

I know we haven't felt like this for a couple of seasons, but I'll miss going to an away game, anywhere, and feeling we've got a chance. What I really won't miss is "entitled" Saints fans demanding we push onto the next level, and tourist fans that appear to be at the bigger away games in increasing numbers, killing the atmosphere.

Whilst we should never be in the position we find ourselves, and those running the club are 100% guilty of negligence, and I appreciate we should always aspire to play in the highest league, I'm not that bothered by relegation. Maybe it's an age thing and football simply isn't as important to me personally now I'm a codger, or I've become disillusioned with the greed, big 6 bias, entitled fans all over social media and the like, but in the big scheme of things, to me, relegation, meh.

The only thing he said he'll miss is having the opportunity to go the the new Spurs ground and also beating Wolves. Plenty of new Wolves fans have appeared at his school/6th form who were once City/Utd/L'pool/Chelsea/Arsenal fans. They still don't appear to go though apparently. He takes great umbridge at that. As long as we still get to go to games, then he's content.

I know we haven't felt like this for a couple of seasons, but I'll miss going to an away game, anywhere, and feeling we've got a chance. What I really won't miss is "entitled" Saints fans demanding we push onto the next level, and tourist fans that appear to be at the bigger away games in increasing numbers, killing the atmosphere.

Whilst we should never be in the position we find ourselves, and those running the club are 100% guilty of negligence, and I appreciate we should always aspire to play in the highest league, I'm not that bothered by relegation. Maybe it's an age thing and football simply isn't as important to me personally now I'm a codger, or I've become disillusioned with the greed, big 6 bias, entitled fans all over social media and the like, but in the big scheme of things, to me, relegation, meh.

Show him this VFTT Wolves are the new Saints don't ya know :-) https://talksport.com/football/liverpool-fc-transfer-news-reds-set-move-wolverhampton-wanderers-ace-ruben-neves

I’m sure you’ll be able to get tickets to Tottenham or Wolves. They just won’t be playing Saints though.

Long shot but here’s always hope of a cup draw too.

wont miss anything of the overhyped ****e that is the premier league,its all about the top 6 and ****** to everyone else.

theres plenty of good clubs in the championship and we are one of them.

wouldn't bother me if we never came back up coz we will just be pillaged again for our best players and then our **** owners will just pocket the money.

goodbye and goodriddance to it and modern football.

supporting saints not the premier league,whatever division we are in

Yeah Spurs new ground is the big one i'm disappointed to not go to, mainly because there's so many good breweries on the way to the ground which would make it a really good day out.

Wolves i don't care about, i've been there before and their fans are d*cks, Huddersfield is the other away game i'd really miss, result aside that was definitely the best away this season.

That's the rub of it imo fans want to see their team win. Losing most weeks is shyte whether its in the PL or league 2 winning most weeks makes for a good season regardless of the league we are in. I'd enjoy a season winning most weeks in league 1 more than a season finishing 17th in the PL but that might just be me.
Nope, not just you, me as well. Couldn't care what league we are in so long as we are being entertained and winning more than we lose. I won't be hankering for the premiere league, and actually think that we won't be back in it for many years anyway.

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowds we get in the championship as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Will obviously miss pitting ourselves against the best teams in the country. Struggling to get excited for Bolton away on a tuesday night
I'd find it more exciting because we'd have a much better chance of winning.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Meantime, a take on our diminishing chances

0ee7bab22c97eb348d5b3405301106da.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks, very interesting and sums up what we all thought. What I find surprising is how thinly the spread of possibilities for Swansea are and Huddersfield still have their work cut out.

I bet this will all look a lot more different after this weekend.

I won’t miss the Prem League at all. It’s a competition for a handful of clubs massively over-promoted by the print and broadcast media for their own financial greed. Players and managers, with their snouts in the trough, have nothing in common with football fans.

The Championship is a genuine competition, even if it is tainted by parachute payments. The only downside is that the teams finishing top of the table are required to move into the Prem.