Cryotherapy chambers

Pilchards

On Sunday I visited a Taekwondo club for my students to train at and I got talking to the owner.

He has a Cryotheraphy chamber that he hires out for top sports stars in the region as it’s a popular option instead of ice baths.

Anyway he told me Southampton football club were one of the first clubs that used this but stopped it three years ago.

Over 85% of the top clubs in the country have them now and they are very expensive too.

Why have we stopped using them I wonder?

From what I recall most people do cryo after training when in fact the benefits noted of a cold bath or cryo would be more prevalent few hours afters a session not directly after one. Also I think studies have show that in itself there are no clear trend of benefits but then again the sample size is probably too small.

I know Charlie Austin when to some decompression sessions in the Gosport/Portsmouth area recently when he had his hamstring injury. My neighbour, who knows nothing about football or who he was, struck up a conversation with him, she goes every week for treatment.

I think the club probably sussed that it is all quackery. And expensive quackery. Quackery always expensive because it doesn’t work and it’s a con-trick perpetrated by charlatans, with the sole aim of relieving the money from those with more of it than sense. At best there’s perhaps a placebo response from such ‘treatments’.

If someone can explain the physiological mechanism that leads to ‘benefits’ in the striated musculature of the limbs by applying superficial chilling to the skin, then I’m prepared to change my mind...

It’s also impossible to do a randomized controlled double blind trial for this sort of thing so while you can never really prove it works you can’t prove it doesn’t very easily either...

• 2 weeks later...