Relegation Odds at start of the season

spyinthesky

Anyone hazard a guess what the odds would have been on the teams finishing 8th, 10th and 13th in last years Premier League being relegated and all three newly promoted clubs staying up?

I believe it is very rare that all three promoted clubs stay up and I guess the odds that Huddersfield seem on course to do so with a limited transfer budget and comparatively low player wages puts our plight into sharp focus!!

These were the relegation odds with William Hill on 22nd June 2017:

Huddersfield 1.57

Brighton 2.2

Burnley 2.25

Swansea City 2.75

Watford 2.75

Crystal Palace 4.5

Bournemouth 5

Newcastle 5

WBA 5

Stoke City 8

West Ham United 9

Leicester City 17

Southampton 21

Everton 51

Arsenal 501

Liverpool 501

Tottenham Hotspur 751

Chelsea 1001

Manchester City 1001

Manchester United 1001

I looked this up the other day out of vague interest, myself. If you'd put a £10 on us, WBA and Stoke to go down, you'd be on to win something around the £15,000 mark according to this: https://talksport.com/football/odds-be-relegated-premier-league-201718-every-club-ranked-most-least-likely-170624244236

2nd favourites for relegation back then? ....... Burnley !

I lumped £100 on at 9/1. Would rather not win but at least my season ticket will be free next year.

$1:45 for every dollar down under today. WBA not quoted, and Stoke at $1:08 - seems cut and dried; Swansea at $4:50 and Huddersfield $5:00. We are deep in it, aren't we.

$1:45 for every dollar down under today. WBA not quoted, and Stoke at $1:08 - seems cut and dried; Swansea at $4:50 and Huddersfield $5:00. We are deep in it, aren't we.

Did you need the bookies’ odds to tell you that?!

Putting money on us at 21/1 at the start of the season would have seemed incredibly negative, the only reason to do so was if you are constantly down on the club, do so regardless as ‘insurance’ or if you had genuine insight into how bad Pellegrino would be.

However, once the season kicked off (certainly from Wolves onwards) there were signs that we'd end up in this position and could probably get good odds. H£ll, I got 16/1 at the start of November and there were plenty of warning signs before then.

Edited by mrfahaji

I have placed 4 separate bets at odds from 18/1 - 4/1

Stand to win an absolute fortune but will be very bitter sweet.

I was never betting against Saints, more betting against the current management. It's been easy easy money past 2 years

If this is not the biggest reason why lots of us want Saints to stay up then i don`t what is.

Putting money on us at 21/1 at the start of the season would have seemed incredibly negative, the only reason to do so was if you are constantly down on the club, do so regardless as ‘insurance’ or if you had genuine insight into how bad Pellegrino would be.

However, once the season kicked off (certainly from Wolves onwards) there were signs that weight end up in this position and could probably get good odds. H£ll, I got 16/1 at the start of November and there were plenty of warning signs before then.

I got a very good price on a double, us down pompey up.

I thought, and certainly hoped, it would be a few quid down the drain but, after seeing our slump last season alongside the mickey mouse takeover down the road I thought it was worth a punt just in case.

Of course I would much rather see us stay up and lose but I am genuinely torn on Pompey. If we are screwed anyway a few hundred quid wouldn't be a bad thing. Ideal scenario, Pompey charge into the playoffs, we manage to escape last day of the season, pompey proceed to f*ck up the play offs and I find an appropriate time to take a decent cash out.

I got a very good price on a double, us down pompey up.

I thought, and certainly hoped, it would be a few quid down the drain but, after seeing our slump last season alongside the mickey mouse takeover down the road I thought it was worth a punt just in case.

Of course I would much rather see us stay up and lose but I am genuinely torn on Pompey. If we are screwed anyway a few hundred quid wouldn't be a bad thing. Ideal scenario, Pompey charge into the playoffs, we manage to escape last day of the season, pompey proceed to f*ck up the play offs and I find an appropriate time to take a decent cash out.

Depends how much you'd stand to win from Pompey's success. It'd have to be in the thousands to make it worth it for me. I won over £100 when they won the FA Cup that time (after they got past Ipswich with an incredible amount of luck, I thought "that's the sort of luck you get when you're going to win the cup") but was still sickened every step they took towards the final. In fact, the day they beat United I decided to try and give up following football because the levels of hatred inside me that day was not healthy. Needless to say, it didn't work.

Depends how much you'd stand to win from Pompey's success. It'd have to be in the thousands to make it worth it for me. I won over £100 when they won the FA Cup that time (after they got past Ipswich with an incredible amount of luck, I thought "that's the sort of luck you get when you're going to win the cup") but was still sickened every step they took towards the final. In fact, the day they beat United I decided to try and give up following football because the levels of hatred inside me that day was not healthy. Needless to say, it didn't work.

About three hundred quid, that's decent and my car is falling apart!

Never the less I briefly lived in Pompey and now too many smug knobs who would be giving it the big'un if we were in the same league to make it worth it!