Mark Hughes

SKD

Wouldn’t have a problem with Hughes staying, but doubt it will happen. It’s Reed I want out...he’s responsible for the mess we’re in through awful transfer business and managerial appointments. The squad we’ve been putting out is substandard...been saying for months...too many Championship/L1 level players.

Wouldn’t have a problem with Hughes staying, but doubt it will happen. It’s Reed I want out...he’s responsible for the mess we’re in through awful transfer business and managerial appointments. The squad we’ve been putting out is substandard...been saying for months...too many Championship/L1 level players.

Ross Wilson just as much, if not more, to blame.

We are where we are, due to drop into the Championship, due to **** poor manager/coach that should have gone last NOVEMBER ffs.

Then look at the crap on the field!

FF, at fault for many of the goals conceeded, rightly dropped and hopefully shipped out ASAP.

Full Backs, one plays for Portugal, average player and that’s being generous.

The other is an England international. Plays every game as if depressed.

Our CB’s. Every one an average Championship player.

Midfield, Davis, legs gone. Hoj, average, Rom, **** season, Redmond **** Off to Div1, Boufal show pony or cart horse, def cart horse. JWP, wonderful on free kicks, ****ing useless at everything else. Lemina, thinks he is Messi but is really average. Long, love his tireless effort plus he is a countryman of mine but he is ****e, Austin, might score if he wasn’t out of breath after 3 minutes, Gabbi, hope you enjoyed your holiday in England, now **** off back to Italy!

carillo, goodbye and thanks for **** all.

Hughes, no idea if this failed Stoke manager will stay as we drop down a Div.

Now onto the ****ing clowns in charge, go with your pockets filled and destroy some other club.

The fans. I raise my hat to everyone of you, especially those of you that go to away games, I’m sorry you have endured this ****e all season long.

Norm

Don't want him here next season - not that I blame him for last few games, just don't see it working out. Like others have said, think we need freshening up - clear the decks across playing and coaching staff and start again.

Tactics were a tad strange last night by all accounts, but maybe Hughes has realised that our only hope is to be ultra defensive and try and nick a goal. Our defence is incredibly sh*t and midfield ponderous, so the moment we try and attack, teams just walk through us.

Blame firmly at the door of Les, Ross and Ralph for the complete clusterf*ck we are in. Players have to take a portion of blame as well for phoning it in most of the season.

So 18 months of poor performances under three different managers the only constant is the players....

At least people might start to realise this isn't some top seven squad just being poorly managed but in fact a squad chocked full of averageness and dross. Two years of **** poor recruitment has wrecked the squad.

As for Hughes the board put themselves in a position were he was the only realistic option. With more time he might have just about done enough to keep us up but in reality with this squad and the games he had left he was on a hiding to nothing anyway.

We are as good as down hopefully the summer will see a big clear out and changes at several levels to create a squad and management capable of getting promotion.

Tactics were a tad strange last night by all accounts

Actually think our tactics to begin with were spot on.

Leicester barely threatened our goal in the whole match, particularly in the first half.

Taking off JWP and Long destroyed everything good we were doing at the time and meant we had nothing at the front to scare Leicester.

I would've personally took off Tadic and brought on either Redmond or Sims and then sacrificed Romeu for Austin with 10 to go.

Think Hughes played for the point last night when most of us would've rather we'd gone for it towards the end instead of sitting back and settling.

In the circumstances, I think Hughes was the right appointment at the time but we need someone new next year. Someone with the right level of knowledge for the division we're going to be in. How about Ian Holloway? ;-)

Agree with most comments on him

Was convinced Hughes was the man for the job in the Championship but that changes when he bottled it last night!

Davis was not the answer! That was obvious to everyone. A defender should have been sacrificed with 15 minutes to go with JWP & Long remaining on the pitch

We'd have more than likely lost BUT we had no choice but to go for it! 1 point it no good at this stage.

So 18 months of poor performances under three different managers the only constant is the players....

At least people might start to realise this isn't some top seven squad just being poorly managed but in fact a squad chocked full of averageness and dross. Two years of **** poor recruitment has wrecked the squad.

As for Hughes the board put themselves in a position were he was the only realistic option. With more time he might have just about done enough to keep us up but in reality with this squad and the games he had left he was on a hiding to nothing anyway.

We are as good as down hopefully the summer will see a big clear out and changes at several levels to create a squad and management capable of getting promotion.

Anyone with any football nous can see the players are not up to par (and to repeat one last time for the hard of understanding, these are not players who helped us finish 6th and 7th). I'd argue the poor recruitment goes back to 2015, especially as we no longer have VVD, though the last two seasons have been even worse.

Do think that if Hughes had joined earlier, we would have enough to stay up. Am not a huge fan but there have definitely been signs of progress and learning. Having lost his first three league games, you can also understand the temptation last night to bank the one point and restore a bit of confidence. Had the momentum been with us second half or had it been a more even game, Hughes might have gambled; but as it was, we were gash after HT.

Edited by shurlock

Have to say I completely disagree with those criticising Hughes' tactics last night.

The team capitulated against Chelsea and has been shipping goals all over the place. It was imperative we didn't lose last night. The team is shot to pieces in terms of confidence, not to mention the passengers who can't wait to leave. The players are evidently s*** scared of relegation. We gave the poor bloke eight league games to change things, he's certainly come in and improved things but he can only do so much.

The scenario of needing to win 3 games hasn't changed, just we only have 4 games left now!

Was certainly an odd choice taking JWP off, looked like the only one out there who was going to create anything especially with Austin about to come on. Should have just taken one of the CB's off and gone with 4 at the back and stuck Davis in midf or kept it the same and stuck Austin on to partner Long. Certainly some strange subs last night in another "must win game".

I didn't have a problem with the appointment of Hughes at the time, and I don't now. However next season we need a real shake up. Not sure whether he is the man to take us forward but I wouldn't be hugely passionate either way. Would love to hear from Reed at the end of the season to discuss the failings and whats actually happened, and to hold his hands up and take the responsibility for the mess we have found ourselves in.

Happy for Hughes to continue. He's still learning what the squad can and can't do at the moment. He expects more from certain players and is beginning to realise they just can't deliver anymore e.g. Tadic

Really hasn't Tadic played every game under Hughes? seems like he quite likes him.

Pros of Mark Hughes according to most Saints fans:

1. He’s British

2. He doesn’t have a foreign accent

3. He’s British

Negatives:

Everything else.

If he’s here at the start of next season it says enough about the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hughes is a record-breaker already! The first man to manage 2 Premier League teams knocked out of the FA Cup in the same year and soon to be added to that another record: the first manager to manage 2 Premier League teams relegated in the same year. So that will be a double record. There is a reason why that has never happened before. No other club was ever stupid enough to appoint a amanager who had just been sacked from a rival club below them in the league because he was getting them relegated, when they themselves were trying to avoid relegation.

We weren't even in the bottom 3 when Pellegrino was sacked.

Hughes is a record-breaker already! The first man to manage 2 Premier League teams knocked out of the FA Cup in the same year and soon to be added to that another record: the first manager to manage 2 Premier League teams relegated in the same year. So that will be a double record. There is a reason why that has never happened before. No other club was ever stupid enough to appoint a amanager who had just been sacked from a rival club below them in the league because he was getting them relegated, when they themselves were trying to avoid relegation.

We weren't even in the bottom 3 when Pellegrino was sacked.

Hi Nordic hindsight Saint. Are you saying we shoulda kept MP, or still sacked him despite not being in the bottom 3 but appointed someone else? If so what would be your top 3 realistic alternatives

We don't need imagination I'm pretty feed up with the club trying to be all left field and clever to try and pump up the brand. I want a manager who knows the championship and what it takes to get out of. I'm not saying that is necessarily Hughes just I don't think we should be gambling on another manager new to English football.

Another "told you so" I'm afraid

Should have been Silva.

After Koeman it shoulda been Silva

After Puel it coulda been Silva

After Pellegrino it woulda been Silva

Where is this much sought after star manager plying his trade at moment

I ask this again as you avoided answering in match thread, is this because he has not been snapped up yet? Being so brilliant and all that surely he would be somewhere showing

us all what we are missing

Where is this much sought after star manager plying his trade at moment

I ask this again as you avoided answering in match thread, is this because he has not been snapped up yet? Being so brilliant and all that surely he would be somewhere showing

us all what we are missing

There's a long list of managers currently not plying their trade. What's Tuchel doing at the moment? What's Ancelotti doing at the moment? How about Louis van Gaal?

• 5 years later...

It's so strange how managers just lose it. He finished multiple times in the top ten of the Prem with I think four different clubs. He clearly had managerial ability once.

You'd think he'll never work again (weird job in Thailand/UAE/etc etc notwithstanding)

Edited by CB Fry

A classic Destroy and Exit there, he managed to string it out for a while but it was always going to end that way. 

He was ready to retire five years ago. His win percentage was even worse than Pellegrino by the time we gave him the boot. Hasenhuttl came in with an instant impact and looked like a genius in comparison.

I have to give him credit for signing Danny Ings, however. I thought it was a huge mistake and held it against him until the following season.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, egg said:

He did well this day. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44046850

Proper man management - he motivated the players and kept us up. His track record, on the whole, is decent. 

And prior to that day, he played for a 0-0 at Everton and almost completely fucked that up and then we had to rely on a Gabba special to save us. 

Awful manager for us. We stayed us despite him not because of him.

• Like 1