Mark Hughes

SKD

The man to take us forward and mount a promotion challenge next year, or not?

I’ve not seen anything to suggest he is that good.

Personally think we need a fresh start. Clear out of all current staff (including Kelv and Watson) and only keep a handful of players.

A manager with championship experience would be nice, it’ll be key for them to know who they want and to bring in players with championship experience.

A manager with championship experience would be nice, it’ll be key for them to know who they want and to bring in players with championship experience.

Why Championship experience for manager and players?

A game is between two clubs, the league is just a label for the game it has no baring on the outcome. If Saints are relegated and have a team and manager next season that has only ever previously been in the top flight why is that a bad thing?

I've been relatively impressed with Hughes up until this evening. Baffling substitutions tonight for a team needing to win.

If he had been given enough time I think he’d have kept us up.

West Ham and tonight very poor though

Yep. A clear out and a new project.

Someone with fresh ideas....like Potter. Give someone a chance to create something.

Howe, Dyche......that sort of approach.

Need something to bring the enjoyment and vitality back to the club.

The attacking side of this team since Mane and Pelle left has been absolutely shambolic.

Then we have picked away at the defence so that became equally as shambolic. He's not got much to work with, individual quality maybe, but a bit of a mish mash of players. The recruitment team have absolutely failed this club to lumber us with one of the most unbalanced and confusing squads I can ever remember.

Hughes would have stayed on if we stayed up and the only reason I'd keep him is if he had got us going on a genuine run. He hasn't and doesn't look likely, so a change at the end is probably best - for everyone. Mass changes required at all levels too. No one who is employed by the club should be immune from getting canned.

The squad and coaching staff definitely need a major overhaul, but the real question is do you trust Les Reed, Ralph Krueger and Ross Wilson to do it competently? I sure as hell don't.

No.

Krueger doesn't bother me too much as he is a bit more distant to the appointments and recruitment.

To use one of my late old mans expressions about Reed and Wilson, I wouldn't pay them in washers.They should both foxtrot oscar.

If he had been given enough time I think he’d have kept us up.

West Ham and tonight very poor though

Like he's kept Stoke up, having been given plenty of time?

Wouldn't have touched Hughes with a bargepole, but he's wrangled a nice little earner and our relegation won't damage his dwindling reputation - Stoke's relegation will, though.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

maybe when he says he needs players that will fight, he has only been left with the 11 starting today + Austin, Sims and Steven Davis.

Will Lemina, Boufal, Gabbiadini or Carrillo play for us again?

If he really wanted to play Davis tonight, should have taken Maya off and go offensive, or even take PEH off.

maybe when he says he needs players that will fight, he has only been left with the 11 starting today + Austin, Sims and Steven Davis.

I certainly don't think we'll see Boufal again, absolutley not the sort of player needed for this situation. Carrillo? No ****ing idea. What a true cluster**** he was. Seriously, wtf.

If he really wanted to play Davis tonight, should have taken Maya off and go offensive, or even take PEH off.

Maya was our best CB tonight. According to an ITKer, Gabbi's in hot water and only on the bench due to lack of options.

I've been relatively impressed with Hughes up until this evening. Baffling substitutions tonight for a team needing to win.

Have you? Conceding 3 a game every game in the prem before tonight has been impressive?

He's ****ing toilet and shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

Damning isn't it that our four most expensive signings are currently out of it?

Obviously the Black Box did a good job in the psychological profiling never mind targeting their abilities.

Yet again something Reed and Wilson are answerable for.

Maya was our best CB tonight. According to an ITKer, Gabbi's in hot water and only on the bench due to lack of options.

Where did you see that?

So that's Lemina, Boufal and Gabbiadini all causing problems and Carrillo not even good enough for the bench :lol:

Have you? Conceding 3 a game every game in the prem before tonight has been impressive?

He's ****ing toilet and shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

Who else was available at the time and willing to take it ?

Don't say Clown should have gone sooner - which I agree with - that's not the question.

If you look at the league table, the relegation battle is a fight between the scrapings of the barrels, Pardew ( until recently), Hughes, Lambert, Moyes, Bloke sacked from Sheffield Wednesday, Woy, and also Allardyce a few months ago. It seems other clubs took their barrel scrapings before us. Although I'm not sure I'd have wanted Paul Lambert instead for arguments sake.

Don't say Clown should have gone sooner - which I agree with - that's not the question.

If you look at the league table, the relegation battle is a fight between the scrapings of the barrels, Pardew ( until recently), Hughes, Lambert, Moyes, Bloke sacked from Sheffield Wednesday, Woy, and also Allardyce a few months ago. It seems other clubs took their barrel scrapings before us. Although I'm not sure I'd have wanted Paul Lambert instead for arguments sake.

You make it sound like there is literally no one else in the world in management. As if Hughes was literally the last man on earth. He wasn't.

You make it sound like there is literally no one else in the world in management. As if Hughes was literally the last man on earth. He wasn't.

Long term I agree.

But for the desperate choice we made at the time. Who were the other credible options?

Tuchel was apparently sounded out but gave us a resounding f.o . I'm not sure of those available then for a short term fix who would take it on that basis but I'm interested in those you think were around at the time.

The club, Reed and Wilson in particular, have shown themselves to be Grade A Cretins, but making a short term appointment when they did isn't on the charge sheet. (Timing of it most certainly is though).

Damning isn't it that our four most expensive signings are currently out of it?

Obviously the Black Box did a good job in the psychological profiling never mind targeting their abilities.

Yet again something Reed and Wilson are answerable for.

Following a spell in North London, the black box now resides in Leipzig. All we have left now are those two transfer geniuses Les and Ross.

The man responsible for our successful recruitment was our Head of Recruitment, Paul Mitchell. He was the man who found us players like Mane, Alderweireld and Wanyama. The last of the players he identified was van Dijk, who we were linked with before he left.

Following a spell in North London, the black box now resides in Leipzig. All we have left now are those two transfer geniuses Les and Ross.

The man responsible for our successful recruitment was our Head of Recruitment, Paul Mitchell. He was the man who found us players like Mane, Alderweireld and Wanyama. The last of the players he identified was van Dijk, who we were linked with before he left.

No he didn't - EVERYONE knew who Mane, Alderweireld and Wanyama were. It was not hard to identify them as being potentially good enough to join this league and the Alderweireld joined because of Koeman.

I think you're probably right, my reference to the fabled Black Box was almost tongue in cheek about our recruitment policy, and of course all the Les spin on it when things were going well.

Alderweirald I thought came as a Koeman connection.

Strange thing with Mitchell's time at the club was how we seemed to get deals sealed, was he also involved in the negotiations ? As they have certainly been a fiasco since he left.

I don’t think Hughes is the right man to take us forward. Given us more of a chance of staying up than Pellegrino however we are doomed. The club need a major clear out from Reed, Kruger, Wilson etc but I doubt it will happen.

Yes, I agree but do the Chinese owners have the first clue about replacements? Markus was lucky NC had the contacts, who will advise Gao?

Quite honestly, there is nothing to suggest that anyone would have turned around the complete shambles that we had gotten into. When we have ended up with such useless tossers as Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina I really don't see that Guardiola, Mourinho or Klopp individually or cleectively would have made any significant difference. I really don't think blaming Hughes is particularly smart. This has been coming since Les fell out with Koeman, and our shambolic ownership and senior management failed to see what was happening and take decisive action.

Quite honestly, there is nothing to suggest that anyone would have turned around the complete shambles that we had gotten into. When we have ended up with such useless tossers as Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina I really don't see that Guardiola, Mourinho or Klopp individually or cleectively would have made any significant difference. I really don't think blaming Hughes is particularly smart. This has been coming since Les fell out with Koeman, and our shambolic ownership and senior management failed to see what was happening and take decisive action.

Don't disagree with any of that.

I'm not looking to blame Hughes for things since he joined , the rot had well and truly set in.

Point I was replying to was the suggestion of a different appointment at that time.

I feel sorry for Hughes. He had to try and do something to stem the flow of goals against, we simply have no chance whatsoever of staying up if we keep letting in 3 goals every game.

I still feel that he would be a decent manager to have, whether we are in the Premier League or Championship.

Yes, I agree but do the Chinese owners have the first clue about replacements? Markus was lucky NC had the contacts, who will advise Gao?

Very true who we recruit in the key area such as Chairman, Director of Football and Cheif Scout is key. Since Ronald left the recruiting has been awful hence we are in a mess with a poor squad of players.

No doubt Les Reed is to blame his decisions the last 2 years has been poor along with Ralph’s. Ralphs interview which was truely shocking and we have been sleep walking into relegation with everybody realising it apart from the people who make key decisions.

Let’s hope Goa can find the right people to improve the club going forward but it looks like it is all far too late for our premiership status.

Get rid of him and pay whatever it takes to get Adkins off hull.

It would cost us nothing. Hull fan in office says we can have him back and he'll drive him down here.

Adkins would be on my shortlist too. Yes, I know he was in the right place at the right time, having SRL, Lallana, Joy Rod and all .... but heck, I miss his positivity and commitment.

That is sadly lacking,

You can’t blame Hughes or keep dragging Stoke up, in reality Lamberts had plenty of time to get them firing and has done very little, so like us their issues are probably deep set.

There was a moment in the West Ham game during the second half when we were going through the motions and WH were coasting, there was a shot of him and Mark Bowen and he looked like he had been given a tool box when he joined Saints, what he needed was a Phillips screwdriver and some pliers, but all he had was a bag of Spanner’s.

Arsenal was much much better, Chelsea we were doing pretty well, as soon as their goal went in you could visibly see the players crumble.

Tonight, the manager can only do so much, but when the game kicks off, at this level, you expect the players, who’s only basic job in life is to kick a bag of air to a team mate, when that goes out the window en-masse what can the manager do in reality.

The wonderous Tadic had the ball second half and he passed it back to PEH’s backside where he was sat on the floor after the ball broke loose to Tadic after an interaction between PEH and a Leicester player, there are acres of pitch and plenty of other players in a red and white shirt, if I am shouting at the screen WTF!!! What the chuff is going through the managers mind when your supposed most skilful player on the pitch is making hairbrained decisions like that.

Hughes has added a bit of spark to the team, what happens next season is totally out of our hands, if Kruger and Reed are running the show no doubt it will be a manager out of a lucky dip, if Hughes wants to stay I wouldn’t have an issue.

Long term I agree.

But for the desperate choice we made at the time. Who were the other credible options?

Tuchel was apparently sounded out but gave us a resounding f.o . I'm not sure of those available then for a short term fix who would take it on that basis but I'm interested in those you think were around at the time.

The club, Reed and Wilson in particular, have shown themselves to be Grade A Cretins, but making a short term appointment when they did isn't on the charge sheet. (Timing of it most certainly is though).

Nigel Pearson.

Nigel Pearson.

I said him ages ago, but noted when looking up where he is, Leuven (the home of Stella Artois) they are also owned by the Thai folks who own Leicester, figured considering the way he left might not have been as clear cut as the media had us believe, and he’s sat in a very sweet position (despite living in Belgium).

I wouldn't keep him.

Personally, I would go to either Hirst or someone young & enthusiastic.

Someone prepared to play youth with an attacking purpose. We've wasted so much money on foreign imports who have failed to impress in the last 2 seasons that building from the ground up would be my preference.

The last 18 months have been miserable in so many ways. Only a total clear out top to bottom will reignite our appetite to push out of The Championship.