Looking at the squad we could be left with...

Dazza82

If we do go down ive made a team which i think we may keep.

This is just based on our Squad and does not include any new additions, i would be going all out for Mitrovic if we go down and Newcastle set for a takeover. Go and get Jokanovic from Fulham if they fail to go up aswell.a547879fc3b6d9b1f1fb0071b3701cd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is just based on our Squad and does not include any new additions, i would be going all out for Mitrovic if we go down and Newcastle set for a takeover. Go and get Jokanovic from Fulham if they fail to go up aswell.a547879fc3b6d9b1f1fb0071b3701cd8.jpg

**** me that is a **** side...definately straight down again if we end up with anything like that team.

People keep saying go and get Jokanovic from Fulham as if it's a forgone conclusion that he would come here. We are going down, Fulham are a much better proposition than us right now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

People keep saying go and get Jokanovic from Fulham as if it's a forgone conclusion that he would come here. We are going down, Fulham are a much better proposition than us right now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Exactly. You can check my post history. I have been talking up Jakanovic for 9 months now, but he going to get up with Fulham (auto or playoffs) so that ship has sailed. We need to go for whoever doesn't go up in the playoffs and entice them over. The Derby manager? Time will tell.

Austin will go. Plenty of bottom half Prem clubs would take him.

Les could always tell them to **** off and keep him.

How many players are we realistically expecting to bail on the team assuming we’re relegated? I can see Gabbiadini going back to Italy. I can see Bertrand leaving after a bigger team taps him up and swoops in aggressively, and Boufal asking to leave does not seem an unrealistic possibility especially given his lack of game time. I’m not sure what’s happening with Lemina right now. Hoedt has his own initialized logo so he presumably thinks he’s too big for the Championship, but will the club realistically let almost everyone go? I’m not sure about that. Les has sold many players before but will he sell most of the starting 11? He must know it’s a recipe for disaster.

Awful side

Wonder if we could tempt Pontus Jansson from Leeds - we need a dominant centre back in the championship and He fits the bill.

Sam Vokes could be a good option and cheaper wages than Austin, often benched by Burnley (Not suggesting because he's a local lad etc etc)

Not convinced if you put our current XI in the championship they'd get promoted to be honest. We need some investment in key areas and would be nice for some commitment from a few of the players who have taken us down...(McCarthy, Yoshida, JWP, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Long, Austin)

----------------------McCarthy

NEW ------- Yoshida -- Bednarek/NEW ---------Targett

----------------------Romeu------------------------------

-------------JWP---------------Hojbjerg------------------

NEW--------------Austin/Long-----------------Sims/NEW

Probably need a new #10 too who will actually create so we can go 2 in the middle and one in the hole.

Les could always tell them to **** off and keep him.

How many players are we realistically expecting to bail on the team assuming we’re relegated? I can see Gabbiadini going back to Italy. I can see Bertrand leaving after a bigger team taps him up and swoops in aggressively, and Boufal asking to leave does not seem an unrealistic possibility especially given his lack of game time. I’m not sure what’s happening with Lemina right now. Hoedt has his own initialized logo so he presumably thinks he’s too big for the Championship, but will the club realistically let almost everyone go? I’m not sure about that. Les has sold many players before but will he sell most of the starting 11? He must know it’s a recipe for disaster.

IMO

Leave

Gabbi - Don't think he is happy here.

Austin - Big wages

Boufal - Will go back to France probably

Forster - Someone bottom half of the Prem will take him.

Lemina - Back to Italy

JWP - Wouldn't be that surprised if someone like Spurs tried to get him as an English squad player.

Bertrand - Probably Liverpool

Tadic - No way he's staying, had enough here.

Carrillo - Bye then

Maybe

Hoedt - Doesn't exactly scream 'too good for the Championship'

Yoshida - Might be happy with regular football.

Cedric - Can't see many takers in England, possibly Spain or Portugal.

Redmond - Would be half decent in that League

Hojberg

Romeu

Stay

Long, Davis, Stephens - Nobody will want him in the Prem.

McCarthy - Decent Championship 'keeper

Hard to predict what the team would look like. Surely we'd buy in some new players with the money we have available.

What i'd like to see is a decent manager put in place and be allowed to make his own signings. I'd be happy for Hughes to have the job of trying to steady the ship and perhaps challenge for promotion in the next 2 seasons.

This will surely be one of the all time largest squad clear outs in football league history.

I mean we are basically a younger QPR.

If we are serious about mounting a push to come straight back up there are some players that we would expect to lose that we really need to try and retain on a ‘give us the one season’ basis, they are;

Ward-Prowse, Austin, Romeu and Højbjerg for me. I also think Redmond would do a job for us in the Championship. Targett has also shown himself to be a top Championship player, I would like to retain him, but if he goes I think McQueen would be fine.

Absolutely 100% definitely going;

Cedric

Hoedt

Tadic

Lemina

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Bertrand

Pied

Taylor

Clasie

Gardos

Players we need to leave (but probably won’t);

Carillo

Forster

Players we need to sign;

1) Commanding Centre Back with Championship experience (Jansson, Bamba or one of the Millwall CB’s)

2) First choice right back (Bit stumped here - maybe Byram as he isn’t breaking into the first team at Wham)

Players we may need to sign;

3) Competition for McCarthy (Bit ambitious, but with Heaton being displaced at Burnley you could have a first class keeper and leader in one)

4) Second choice right back if Valery isn’t up to it.

5) No. 10 if Hesketh isn’t up to it.

I actually think we will be able to afford keeping a couple of quality players, as the sheer number of outs will provide us with a financial buffer. If we don’t make it back up though it would need a second wave clear out.

This will surely be one of the all time largest squad clear outs in football league history.

i) After QPR's 2013 relegation they sold... 2 first team players (Samba & Mackie)

ii) After QPR's 2015 relegation they sold... 2 first team players (McCarthy & Austin)

Everyone else that left did so because it was the end of their contract, free transfer or retired.

Well i’d Definitely keep long. Guy scored a hatful last time he was in the championship with reading.

Romeu has been mediocre so you think he may not have people beating down the door and we’ll need a physical presence in midfield.

Jwp you’d hope to keep too.

Long had just one good season in the Championship, 2010/11. That was the only season in his entire career when he scored more than 10 league goals. The other seasons in the Championship he didn't score many.

2005/06 3

2008/09 9

2009/10 6

His finishing has deteriorated over the years so it's unlikely he'd be a great finisher in the Championship. If we have to rely on Long to score our goals, we're going to be in as much trouble next season as we are in this one as his poor finishing has been one of the key reasons why we are in the relegation zone. Last night was another example of how his woeful finishing costs us points.

If we are serious about mounting a push to come straight back up there are some players that we would expect to lose that we really need to try and retain on a ‘give us the one season’ basis, they are;

Ward-Prowse, Austin, Romeu and Højbjerg for me. I also think Redmond would do a job for us in the Championship. Targett has also shown himself to be a top Championship player, I would like to retain him, but if he goes I think McQueen would be fine.

Absolutely 100% definitely going;

Cedric

Hoedt

Tadic

Lemina

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Bertrand

Pied

Taylor

Clasie

Gardos

Players we need to leave (but probably won’t);

Carillo

Forster

Players we need to sign;

1) Commanding Centre Back with Championship experience (Jansson, Bamba or one of the Millwall CB’s)

2) First choice right back (Bit stumped here - maybe Byram as he isn’t breaking into the first team at Wham)

Players we may need to sign;

3) Competition for McCarthy (Bit ambitious, but with Heaton being displaced at Burnley you could have a first class keeper and leader in one)

4) Second choice right back if Valery isn’t up to it.

5) No. 10 if Hesketh isn’t up to it.

I actually think we will be able to afford keeping a couple of quality players, as the sheer number of outs will provide us with a financial buffer. If we don’t make it back up though it would need a second wave clear out.

Won't matter what players we have available if that idiot reed is still in his position,I am sure he will sell the preforming players and replace with less talent as that seems to be the much lauded "Southampton Way" also lute judas

The whole thing needs a clear out, the effort/atmosphere/general mix of players hasnt worked so just keeping it and putting kids in isnt going to fix anything

Definitely need a dominant centre back, a leader on and off the pitch. Like Fonte was. A new right back and look at getting an energetic box to box midfielder who can score (McGinn from Hibs would be perfect). Thats just for starters

We need to get rid of as much of the dead wood as possible and use the money to buy some of the best Championship and League One players, who have been regular first teamers and stars for their teams. Some to consider: David Raya, Sam Morsy, Dan Burn, Dael Fry, Nick Powell, James Maddison, Ollie Watkins and Albert Adomah. If Austin can stay fit, he'll be the top scorer in the Championship. I also think Josh Sims and Sam McQueen will thrive there.

If we hold our nerve and added a few old heads we’ll be ok. We have 7 or 8 decent pros that could get us back up, provided we add sensibly and don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. If I were running the club. Bertrand, Cedric, Wes, Lemina, Gabbi, Tadic, Boufal would be told to **** off. Real men required.

Carillo, Forster, Classie , if you can find clubs go, if not I think their attitudes are ok so would have them round club.

I’d go for Michael Dawson at Hull to play alongside Yoshida, I think they’d be a pretty decent partnership. Stephens & the Polish lad can dip in and out and could play right back as well if the need arose.

McQueen & Targett left backs are decent options, Targett needs to be told he’s staying. End of. Don’t know enough right backs to really comment on them. Clearly need one in, although I wouldn’t write Pied off if he’s up for the challenge.

OR & PEH will be immense and both need telling they’re staying, like Targett both strike me as decent individuals that will knuckle down and be professional, if not Harry Arter seems out of favour at Boscombe. Harry Reed as a back up.

Redmond, Sims, JWP, Davo, will be ok and I’d also have a dart at Nick Powell as our creative unit.

The status of Austin really depends on his health and fitness. If we’re getting a season out of him, then it’s a no brainer to keep him regardless of the dough he’s on ( that’s what the parachute money is for). Gallagher will obviously come back, and Long will be needed. He has the right attitude for the fight. We’ll still need a dead cert, somebody used to the hustle and bustle. I doubt if we’d have a hope in hell, but I’d try and get Troy Deeney, if not Vokes is a good shout. If we can’t get them we could do a lot worse than Benik Afobe, Wolves are going to spend, spend , so he will be out the picture there. And Eddie Howe doesn’t seem to want him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we hold our nerve and added a few old heads we’ll be ok. We have 7 or 8 decent pros that could get us back up, provided we add sensibly and don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. If I were running the club. Bertrand, Cedric, Wes, Lemina, Gabbi, Tadic, Boufal would be told to **** off. Real men required.

Carillo, Forster, Classie , if you can find clubs go, if not I think their attitudes are ok so would have them round club.

I’d go for Michael Dawson at Hull to play alongside Yoshida, I think they’d be a pretty decent partnership. Stephens & the Polish lad can dip in and out and could play right back as well if the need arose.

McQueen & Targett left backs are decent options, Targett needs to be told he’s staying. End of. Don’t know enough right backs to really comment on them. Clearly need one in, although I wouldn’t write Pied off if he’s up for the challenge.

OR & PEH will be immense and both need telling they’re staying, like Targett both strike me as decent individuals that will knuckle down and be professional, if not Harry Arter seems out of favour at Boscombe. Harry Reed as a back up.

Redmond, Sims, JWP, Davo, will be ok and I’d also have a dart at Nick Powell as our creative unit.

The status of Austin really depends on his health and fitness. If we’re getting a season out of him, then it’s a no brainer to keep him regardless of the dough he’s on ( that’s what the parachute money is for). Gallagher will obviously come back, and Long will be needed. He has the right attitude for the fight. We’ll still need a dead cert, somebody used to the hustle and bustle. I doubt if we’d have a hope in hell, but I’d try and get Troy Deeney, if not Vokes is a good shout. If we can’t get them we could do a lot worse than Benik Afobe, Wolves are going to spend, spend , so he will be out the picture there. And Eddie Howe doesn’t seem to want him.

You paint quite a positive and not unrealistic picture with that, Duck one. Agree particularly that Hoj and Romeu would be a strong central midfield at that level but would we really be able to keep them? I'd look at Forestieri (sp?) as the new striker.

if Cardiff dont come up get Bamba he is a beast no prisoners. Dack talisman up front crowd will love him.

Ayling from Leeds at right back good in air need height at right back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A big beast of a defender is exactly what we need.

@SportingIntel: PREMIER LEAGUE health warning: Sunderland become the 22nd club to have played PL football and THEN been relegated at least twice to 3rd tier or lower afterwards. Lesson: if you get relegated from PL, chance of going 3rd tier or lower now >50%.

The Championship = the lower half of the Prem in terms of quality generally and we’ve been playing like a lower Championship team for two years. This is because we’ve packed out the squad with Championship/L1 quality players. So to get out of the Championship we will need a squad that collectively is better than lower half Prem (as we did with Adkins squad). It will be a very risky summer in terms of ins and outs and one I foresee Reed and Co getting horribly wrong.

We need to get rid of as much of the dead wood as possible and use the money to buy some of the best Championship and League One players, who have been regular first teamers and stars for their teams. Some to consider: David Raya, Sam Morsy, Dan Burn, Dael Fry, Nick Powell, James Maddison, Ollie Watkins and Albert Adomah. If Austin can stay fit, he'll be the top scorer in the Championship. I also think Josh Sims and Sam McQueen will thrive there.

There is zero chance of us signing James Maddison. Keeps getting mentioned on here. Crazy

I see Robert Huth has been completely frozen out at Leicester, not played all season according to the stat I saw (although that could be out of date).

For those wanting a hard man at the back, and a potential leader (captain) could he fit our bill?

Hasn't made a single PL appearance this season from what I can see. There's probably a reason for that, other than him being an old, hoofing thug that is. I believe he had some sort of minor judicial issues a while back, perhaps they were less minor than apparent.

I see Robert Huth has been completely frozen out at Leicester, not played all season according to the stat I saw (although that could be out of date).

For those wanting a hard man at the back, and a potential leader (captain) could he fit our bill?

He'll be 34, severely lacking in match fitness and won't have any particular motivation other than money.

No thanks.

A big beast of a defender is exactly what we need.

could not agree more. We seem to have favoured centre backs with passing ability and first touches over critical facets such as heading ability, strength, pace and positioning. Even in the premiership they are important. In the championship they are crucial.

k

Nathan Bryne at Wigan impressed whenever I saw him, but wont add much needed height to our side.

IMO we should try and persuade JWP, Romeu and Hojbjerg to stay another season. Stephens, McCarthy and Yoshi should be easy enough to convince to stay. Hopefully Redmond can rediscover some form in the Championship.

Austin obviously would be a real asset if we could keep him fit, but I would probably listen to acceptable offers for him and Long. Bertrand and Cedric will inevitably go, and Fraser will likely be off on loan for a season as no one is going to fork out a big fee for him. Get rid of Hoedt, Lemina, Gabbiadini, Carillo and Boufal. Hopefully we can get recoup a decent chunk of what we paid for them.

Re-integrate Reed, Targett and Gallagher back into the squad and we could have something like this:

———————McCarthy

——Bednarek—-Yoshi——Stephens

Reed————————————-Targett

——————Romeu—JWP

————————Redmond

————-Gallagher——Austin

Subs: McQueen, Sims, Long, Hojbjerg, Hesketh, new GK, Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a chance Hojbjerg will be here. 20 rich clubs needing big squads and he's got a decent reputation. People will slag off our players but other clubs will see cut price options who have done well before this season. Plus there are too many high earners.

Targett will go to Fulham. This is the frustrating one for me, as always hoped he'd take over from Bertrand and rated him, but we'll lose both.

That said, personally I think it'll be exciting to see youngsters more involved. Yoshi and Bednarek can certainly do a job in that league. Reed and Sims are ready to start and if they do have Austin we'll get goals, Gallagher as back up. Hesketh, Slattery, Valery, maybe Tella all for competition but not starters. Hopefully Davis for experience, maybe Clasie back from loan? He'd be really useful in that league.

Given the VVD money and complete squad sell off, you'd hope we'd be financially fine for a promotion push. Maybe 2 full backs, a winger and another CM to come in. If we could keep Austin, Long and Carrillo then great, but seems unlikely. People will criticise them but christ, it's a league where Vydra has scored regularly and Mitrovic looks unstoppable.

Why do you think we will sell players at a cut price just because we are relegated. Seems like any average championship player is quoted at a high price so a Prem player with a track history would command a decent fee. IMO i think we can be choosey who we let go and who we keep with PEH being one we hang on to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this Sam Byram of West Ham could be a decent loan\perm signing. His career at West Ham seems to have stalled and he has plenty of championship experience with over 130 games for Leeds United. He is also potentially a premier league player if we manage to get back up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Byram

Wages will dictate most of our first team leaving and Austin is one of our highest earners.

Wages will actually dictate several staying because no one will pay such wages esp Boufal, Fraser, Lemina, Carillo, Austin and most of the others who sit on the bench. We're stymied and they are not interested, they just laugh all the way to the bank. That's what football has become, outside the top flight. I shall drop my season tkt after 40 years, not just because we are relegated but because football lives in a parallel universe, and a very sick one.