Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

I should probably have added that he was one of the few players who got a decent rating on a night where half the team were given the rating "not passed".

On the scale of 0, 2, 4, 7, 10 and 12 he was given a 10 as the only player. Christian Eriksen got a 7. three players got a 4, six players got a 2 and a single player got a 0 rating.

Remember he has been completely left out of the National team for years as he had a falling out with the national coach. So games like these will only help him claw his way back into the team

PEH came on and clear MoM Xhaka went off for Switzerland. Both substitutions affected the result. PEH certainly brought on some fight and urgency but without trying to do everything himself (which used to be his largest problem)...

Vestergaard is 4th choice CB and the NT coach wanted to bring in some CB alternatives. He directly said that Vestergaard had done nothing wrong and hadn't played himself out of the team, and that he could be justified in feeling a little unlucky.

Vestergaard was third choice behind Kjaer and Christensen at the World Cup and for most of last season before we signed him. Whilst I think he's fundamentally decent, nothing he's done this season is going to move him ahead of those two. Why they'd pick Huddersfield's Jorgensen though... :D

• 5 months later...
What's going on with him? He's been poor all season with only a couple of decent spells in games. The effort's still there but I can't remember the last time he ran a game.

Watched him quite a bit in the game before last and he has a tendency to play with his head down and tries to muscle (best way I can describe it) his passing. It's almost as if he's a step behind and has to rush what he's doing. You get what you pay for though, if you look at those players at City and Liverpool who pass and move effortlessly, they also cost 4-5 times what Hoj did.

He's spoken before about trying to play forward as quickly as possible, taking risks to pass between the lines. I don't think he's taking more risks, or silly ones, but they've not come off this season. He's definitely been caught a step behind off the ball at times though, being late to second balls.

He's obviously not of City's quality but he's played a lot better than this for most of his time with us.

He's spoken before about trying to play forward as quickly as possible, taking risks to pass between the lines. I don't think he's taking more risks, or silly ones, but they've not come off this season. He's definitely been caught a step behind off the ball at times though, being late to second balls.

He's obviously not of City's quality but he's played a lot better than this for most of his time with us.

I've always said Hoj's biggest weakness is his passing it's always been very poor. Anytime he has to do more than lay off a 5 yard pass he seems to struggle. His passing was like that long before Ralph turned up with his play the ball forward quickly philosophy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Probably just me but I have never seen why all the fuss and gushing about PEH. Quite often when watching he seems to give the ball away and set the opposition up for a counter attack. His passing is dreadful and puts us under pressure too much. Romeu seems to have fixed that and be back to his best. Not sure if PEH has reached his ceiling - an adequate, but not good and certainly not great, player.

Certainly cannot see why any top teams would be seriously taking a look at him.

Probably just me but I have never seen why all the fuss and gushing about PEH. Quite often when watching he seems to give the ball away and set the opposition up for a counter attack. His passing is dreadful and puts us under pressure too much. Romeu seems to have fixed that and be back to his best. Not sure if PEH has reached his ceiling - an adequate, but not good and certainly not great, player.

Certainly cannot see why any top teams would be seriously taking a look at him.

Not a player that we would miss in my opinion over rated by many

I think he’s been poor recently and someone should start ahead of him. Him and Prowse seem to stall forward moving impetus despite one good bit of skill by JWP on the left flank. I took in comments on here and that of friends and really scrutinised the midfield Tuesday night and we really have some issues there. It’s swapped totally from us having no attacking threat for years to having all the thrust from defence and attacking play from midfield, stale and flaccid. JWP doesn’t have the temerity to go past people usually and Hojbjerg hasn’t been performing but we have little strength & depth. I’d actually like to see Long integrated back in. Ralph needs to address some balance. This culture of pushing up the kids could, possibly, have a detrimental effect on players like Long, Armstrong, etc. I’d have felt Long was more suited to a derby than Obafemi who I’m still not sure about. He has pace and did a great assist for the goal but he’s not naturally gifted on the ball. I wonder how long before Romello Mitchell or the big Austrian, Klarer, start, if successful, to emerge. We definitely need some new defensive options but we knew that last season and left it to the last min. CB & full back cover...but ideally if we have any ambition, we need to buy 2 first team starters in central defence and full back.

Does no-one else have concerns about our defensive coaching? Or general, total disarray in defence?! So lacking in player tracking and zonal marking works better when you at least close down the attacker inside the 18 yard box. Certainly approaching the 6 yard box. Not continually backing off until they have a shooting opportunity. Unbelievably poor defending throughout the Skate match, particularly the first half.

Our issue is, our squad is so thread bare on quality, there is no competition for places as there is no decent quality back up. Not even mediocre.

I think he’s been poor recently and someone should start ahead of him. Him and Prowse seem to stall forward moving impetus despite one good bit of skill by JWP on the left flank. I took in comments on here and that of friends and really scrutinised the midfield Tuesday night and we really have some issues there. It’s swapped totally from us having no attacking threat for years to having all the thrust from defence and attacking play from midfield, stale and flaccid. JWP doesn’t have the temerity to go past people usually and Hojbjerg hasn’t been performing but we have little strength & depth. I’d actually like to see Long integrated back in. Ralph needs to address some balance. This culture of pushing up the kids could, possibly, have a detrimental effect on players like Long, Armstrong, etc. I’d have felt Long was more suited to a derby than Obafemi who I’m still not sure about. He has pace and did a great assist for the goal but he’s not naturally gifted on the ball. I wonder how long before Romello Mitchell or the big Austrian, Klarer, start, if successful, to emerge. We definitely need some new defensive options but we knew that last season and left it to the last min. CB & full back cover...but ideally if we have any ambition, we need to buy 2 first team starters in central defence and full back.

Does no-one else have concerns about our defensive coaching? Or general, total disarray in defence?! So lacking in player tracking and zonal marking works better when you at least close down the attacker inside the 18 yard box. Certainly approaching the 6 yard box. Not continually backing off until they have a shooting opportunity. Unbelievably poor defending throughout the Skate match, particularly the first half.

Our issue is, our squad is so thread bare on quality, there is no competition for places as there is no decent quality back up. Not even mediocre.

Thats the issue when you have spent a lot of money on not so good players, that other teams have no interest in in buying, or not at the prices we are asking for. We end up with a log jam in the team due to the fact that we are trying to be sustainable rather than chucking money at it. Dipping into the academy does bring about some change, but loading the side with youngsters does add naivety in our play. Jimmy case was surrounded by nippers but he was the responsible adult with oodles of experience to keep them on the right track.

The slightly damning observation from the game the other night by the commentators was that 5 of our team on the pitch played in the EFL Cup Final v Man U.

I’ve been a big critic of his. After a bright start (well a game or two), he went badly off the boil under Puel and Pellegrino: however, he proved me wrong last season and had seemingly stepped up a gear. Was really looking forward to see him progress again this season. So far, however, he’s regressed and his old habits seem less like growing pains than basic features of his game. Don’t get me wrong: he’s a decent player but lacks the technique and finesse on the ball to play for a big club and be much more than a rich man’s David Prutton.

Edited by shurlock

• 2 weeks later...

It always happens in positions with no competition, look at Bertrand over the last few years too.

Also the tactics we are playing at the moment kill our defence as a unit. We press with 3/4 players, the keeper chips it over those and then its 6 on 6 a lot of the time, with their midfield turning and running at us. We are giving the oppo so much time in the middle of the pitch, and we're relatively weak at the back. It's no surprise we are leaking goals.

I think we have to go back to a 5-3-1-1 to stand any chance of keeping a clean sheet. We are nowhere near good enough to play 4 forward players.

----------------McCarthy

---------Danso Bednarek Yoshida

Cedric----------Romeu-------------Bertrand

------------Hojbjerg---JWP

---------------Redmond

------------------Ings

He was awful yesterday and has been for most of this season. If we had an alternative I'm sure RH would try him, but he doesn't seem to fancy Slattery and there's nobody else.

What has happened to Smallbone, does anyone know? Played most of the preseason matches but not been seen since - not even in the U-23's.

What has happened to Smallbone, does anyone know? Played most of the preseason matches but not been seen since - not even in the U-23's.

I don't know but I'm guessing he's injured. Slattery is the main man in the u23 midfield this season.

It always happens in positions with no competition, look at Bertrand over the last few years too.

Also the tactics we are playing at the moment kill our defence as a unit. We press with 3/4 players, the keeper chips it over those and then its 6 on 6 a lot of the time, with their midfield turning and running at us. We are giving the oppo so much time in the middle of the pitch, and we're relatively weak at the back. It's no surprise we are leaking goals.

I think we have to go back to a 5-3-1-1 to stand any chance of keeping a clean sheet. We are nowhere near good enough to play 4 forward players.

----------------McCarthy

---------Danso Bednarek Yoshida

Cedric----------Romeu-------------Bertrand

------------Hojbjerg---JWP

---------------Redmond

------------------Ings

Swap Armstrong for JWP and am with you . Give him a run of games he can’t contribute much less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for interrupting the slating of our captain. PEH was interviewed recently (Danish interview: https://www.bold.dk/video/?id=593553), and he told about his time at Bayern. His father fell ill with cancer and underwent treatment in Munich. To be able to pay for the treatments, PEH had to get the substantial bonus for playing for the first team, so he went into a work frenzy to force his way into the side. He managed 4 games, which was enough to pay for the chemo therapy. Shortly before the father died, he joked that PEH only needed to play for the national team to have done a "decent job". So when he played for DK against Serbia in 2015, he broke down and cried in the post match interview, because emotions overcame him (video from 2015 in Danish here: https://www.bold.dk/video/?id=593550). He really is a very, very intense character. Quite un-Danish actually...

Right. Back on topic. How crap did you say he is?

its a real connundrum what to do about hoj. dropping him requires us to select another captain. is bertie or jwp or the very quite romeu captain materials? i'd call for maya going by experience but he hardly leads by example as he's due a howler every game. also who would take his place in the line up? armstrong seems the best alternative next to rom but that may mean a lions share of the workload would be dropped on romeu's shoulders. would he cope with that?

its a real connundrum what to do about hoj. dropping him requires us to select another captain. is bertie or jwp or the very quite romeu captain materials? i'd call for maya going by experience but he hardly leads by example as he's due a howler every game. also who would take his place in the line up? armstrong seems the best alternative next to rom but that may mean a lions share of the workload would be dropped on romeu's shoulders. would he cope with that?

Yoshida would be captain in Hojbjerg's absence, I imagine.

I would play Romeu and Danso in front of a back four. There is a proper player in Armstrong, but he needs to be further up the pitch, as he tends to make horrific mistakes when near his own goal. I would put him in the centre of an attacking midfield 3, flanked by Djenepo (when fit) and Boufal. Redmond is flattering to deceive again at the moment. Ward-Prowse and (much as I hate to write this) Hojbjerg need to go back to school. Primary, if necessary.

Yoshida would be captain in Hojbjerg's absence, I imagine.

I would play Romeu and Danso in front of a back four. There is a proper player in Armstrong, but he needs to be further up the pitch, as he tends to make horrific mistakes when near his own goal. I would put him in the centre of an attacking midfield 3, flanked by Djenepo (when fit) and Boufal. Redmond is flattering to deceive again at the moment. Ward-Prowse and (much as I hate to write this) Hojbjerg need to go back to school. Primary, if necessary.

problem is that ralph won't and hasn't played 4-2-3-1 formation during his time here. 4-2-2-2, 5-3-2, 3-4-2-1 or more recently 4-3-3 are the only formations he's tried out and seems to prefer. but i agree that 4-2-3-1 seems to be the only formation we have suitable players for. why ralph has opted against trying it out is a mystery. also choosing formations isn't even half the job as its the instructions and the players that carry them out have the most impact on the result you get.

when you have a defence that unravels at the sight of an oppo attack build up, and a midfield slower than an ageing turtle to complement it, there isn't much you can expect to achieve.

maybe we should get alfie jone back from gillingham in jan if we have a recall option. he's been playing at DM in a two and seems to be doing well. he's grabbed a couple goals aswell i see, but his passing seems a lot worse than our lot and after all its league 1 so the the curve might be a bit too steep to expect him to make an impact here but dele alli handled it well. unfair comparison i suppose.

maybe we should get alfie jone back from gillingham in jan if we have a recall option. he's been playing at DM in a two and seems to be doing well. he's grabbed a couple goals aswell i see, but his passing seems a lot worse than our lot and after all its league 1 so the the curve might be a bit too steep to expect him to make an impact here but dele alli handled it well. unfair comparison i suppose.

Watched him play alongside Anton Ferdinand at ST Mirren last season. Sadly the ageing Ferdinand looked well past it but better than Jones.

I think Hoj is the least of our problems. I still like him as a player. I am much more concerned about the likes of Gunn, JWP, Verstergaard, and Che (among others).

Agreed. Hoj is under performing, but one of several at the moment, hence the square and backward passing, always a sign of anxiety, uncertainty and safety first---which often isnt safe at all. I can't see togetherness at the moment but once a good victory makes it click I believe they will all recover form quickly, hope is not far away

• 3 months later...

Everton interested?

EVERTON ASSESSING MIDFIELD OPTIONS

Everton are in the market for a midfielder in January, Gianluca Di Marzio has told Sky Sports News, with Southampton's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg their primary target.

The Danish midfielder would reportedly cost the Toffees around £35m, however, which they are reluctant to pay.

£25m plus Morgan (as a stop gap until end of the season) and snap their hand off.

In the summer, sell Romeu, vestergaraard and any other **** we can shift (hoedt, Forster, mo etc..) and with a little investment we can massively upgrade our squad with 3 or 4 high quality players.

If we got anything close to £40m + for vest and PEH we’d be laughing

£25m plus Morgan (as a stop gap until end of the season) and snap their hand off.

In the summer, sell Romeu, vestergaraard and any other **** we can shift (hoedt, Forster, mo etc..) and with a little investment we can massively upgrade our squad with 3 or 4 high quality players.

If we got anything close to £40m + for vest and PEH we’d be laughing

It's ok getting £40m but we won't spend it so what's the point?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs