Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

We clearly cannot sell him this window. No point thinking otherwise

I would agree, however, come the summer isn’t he in the last year of his contract? Perhaps if a sensible offer comes in now, then we should consider.

I’d imagine (hope) the club have a contingency plan and some targets in mind.

However, I don’t think we’ll sell. Ralph loves him.

Well its going to come to a head soon if he won't sign a new contract.

Will be sold in the summer IMO. Too valuable potentially to let his contract go beyond 12 months to go.

Also, re the fees. They are high, but its the same when we want to sign someone. Decent Championship players are at least £20m these days - so Hojbjerg is probably rightly valued at £35m or so and JWP would be over £50m I think.

Also shows the importance of extending contracts for key players before they reach two years to run.

I can't see him going this window, it would leave us with Romeu and JWP (who's needed at RB) plus Slattery who's been miles from the team this season, and Smallbone. That said, if there was a deal involving Schneiderlin, or better still Tom Davies, then who knows.

I'd prefer to see Hojberg sign a new contract than be sold.

He's a good player and would be hard to replace.

We certainly can't sell him this window either which means any fee we would get in the summer would be probably much lower.

Agree. Had a bad spell this season but is also forming a good understanding with JWP. And is the captain. Would be a bit weird to sell, unless we're super skint

I would agree, however, come the summer isn’t he in the last year of his contract? Perhaps if a sensible offer comes in now, then we should consider.

I’d imagine (hope) the club have a contingency plan and some targets in mind.

However, I don’t think we’ll sell. Ralph loves him.

Hope is the best word.

We still only have 1 left back. Bizarre!!!

I can't see him going this window, it would leave us with Romeu and JWP (who's needed at RB) plus Slattery who's been miles from the team this season, and Smallbone. That said, if there was a deal involving Schneiderlin, or better still Tom Davies, then who knows.
That would be a big win IMO if we did some deal to get either of those in exchange. Morgan really hasn't been the same player after he left and might long for a return

And Schneiderlin would suddenly improve back with us? No chance, he is miles away from a player that is capable in this team these days.

Agree. Had a bad spell this season but is also forming a good understanding with JWP. And is the captain. Would be a bit weird to sell, unless we're super skint

Nope. He's absolutely rubbish according to many on here. He was/is the first name on the team sheet from Ralph but wtf does he know about anything.

I'd prefer to see Hojberg sign a new contract than be sold.

He's a good player and would be hard to replace.

We certainly can't sell him this window either which means any fee we would get in the summer would be probably much lower.

I agree, he is an experienced Premiership player and still has age on his side, we should try and keep him longer term.

However, in business you sometimes have to make difficult decisions and take actions that you'd prefer not to. Lets suppose that Hojberg has already privately indicated that he isn't going to sign a new contract in 2021 and we lose to Spurs on Saturday; we may be faced with the fact that the rest of our season consists of having a low chance of getting into Europe, a low chance of getting relegated and a high chance of being in the middle of the table with the also rans.

Hojberg's value will continue to decline as he gets nearer to contract end and it is possible to squeeze a bigger price by selling an asset in January. Saints could take the view that sell him now, we could get an extra £10m for Ralph's summer spending budget and maybe getting someone in on loan like Morgan until May who would provide some cover (not that he is as good as he was).

I think that the same sort of thinking could be being applied to both Adams and Vestergaard as well - although obviously their contracts have longer to run.

I'm not suggesting that we do this; merely that it is something that should be considered - making this type of business decision is horrible, and not one us keyboard warriers have to do this, or take the consequences when it goes wrong. But, if Hojberg isn't going to sign another contract, we will need to sell him either now, or in the summer - and the question is how much risk would we take if we did it now ? 3 league positions (15th instead of 12th ?), 6 league positions, (18th instead of 12th !! ) ?

I don't think selling him in January would be a good idea, in the summer if he doesn't want to sign a new contract? Then probably yes, I think JWP is more valuable to us at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Bayern didn't have a sell on clause on him, so we might not get as much back as we think.

Well its going to come to a head soon if he won't sign a new contract.

Will be sold in the summer IMO. Too valuable potentially to let his contract go beyond 12 months to go.

Also, re the fees. They are high, but its the same when we want to sign someone. Decent Championship players are at least £20m these days - so Hojbjerg is probably rightly valued at £35m or so and JWP would be over £50m I think.

Also shows the importance of extending contracts for key players before they reach two years to run.

Or not, in the case of Fraser Forster

And Schneiderlin would suddenly improve back with us? No chance, he is miles away from a player that is capable in this team these days.
Funnily enough he might. Mick Channon left us and didnt exactly excel elsewhere, when he came back 'home' he had a revitalised end to his career

Funnily enough he might. Mick Channon left us and didnt exactly excel elsewhere, when he came back 'home' he had a revitalised end to his career

There's plenty of examples of players doing the same. J-Rod, for instance, lost his way with us following his injuries and went down to the Championship with WBA. But now he seems to be really enjoying his football and playing well back at Burnley.

The Everton fans are unanimous in their dislike of Spiderman. He really hasn't done well there at all, but we know what he is capable of if managed correctly, and IF (big if) he could get back to the level he was playing at before he left he would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Hojbjerg.

There's plenty of examples of players doing the same. J-Rod, for instance, lost his way with us following his injuries and went down to the Championship with WBA. But now he seems to be really enjoying his football and playing well back at Burnley.

The Everton fans are unanimous in their dislike of Spiderman. He really hasn't done well there at all, but we know what he is capable of if managed correctly, and IF (big if) he could get back to the level he was playing at before he left he would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Hojbjerg.

Reckon we should look to swap Hojbjerg for Spiderman, Martina and Steklenberg.

Bring home three of our old 'favourites'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
would he be a miss?

I remember in 97/98 when we finished 12th (which was a high finish in those days!) we sold Kevin Richardson to Barnsley and the next season we struggled.

Carlton Palmer came out on sky saying the sale of Kevin Richardson was the catalyst, not because of his quality but because of his influence.

I don’t think Hoj is the best footballer but I think his attitude is the golden standard the club want every player to be able to obtain.

His importance, like Kevin Richardson’s, shouldn’t be measured solely by his contribution on the pitch but his contribution to the club as a whole, with that in mind we should be doing all we can to keep him

Of course he would be a miss. He is the captain. He has specific attributes that suit the system and if the the talk is to be believed then he is wanted by teams much better than us, which in itself is telling.

He will leave if he doesn't sign a new contract and if that happens then it would definitely a blow, and would also be for a fee lower than his value had he still got 3 years to run - which gives us less room to work with in replacing him.

Why 36 points, specifically? I think the survival mark will be higher this season - possibly over 40.

Is this just another case of the club counting their chickens and complacently assuming they're nearly safe (so why bother signing anyone in January)?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Isn’t it better that they discuss business later rather than sooner? We want him 100% focussed on his game, not business matters. He isn’t going to decide to leave just because we haven’t discussed a new contract now. If he wants out he or we can’t do anything about it until close season anyway.

Why 36 points, specifically? I think the survival mark will be higher this season - possibly over 40.

Based on what? 18th place currently has fewer points than the number of games they have played! There are 38 games in a season, so they are heading for less than 38 points at the current rate. Average points per game puts them on 36 points over a 38 game season.

This is why a.) He is perfect for our system and b.) Other teams will want him.

Possession won in the defensive third: 94 (6th)

Possession won in the midfield third: 137 (1st)

Possession won in the attacking third: 22 (=2nd)

[emoji2093] Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has been everywhere for @SouthamptonFC this season! #SaintsFC

• 3 weeks later...

[emoji2093] Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has been everywhere for @SouthamptonFC this season! #SaintsFC

Apart from scoring a goal this season

Players don't usually change Agent for anything other than trying to get a good move.

No coincidence that this change happened shortly before lots of media stories about teams interested in him.

Also, can barely think of a Saints player who has signed a new contract having run it down to a year to go. Every other example like Clyne and Wanyama has seemingly been a strategy to force the club into a sale.

I doubt this will be any different.

Would be a big loss though, he is our captain, his style fits perfectly to Hasenhuttl's system and our recent record of replacing key players is dreadful. Also is a message to others in the squad that you can do better than Saints.

Hmmmmmm "Possession Won" what it doesn't say is having won the ball more often than not its suddenly turned into a Baked Spud just out of the oven or a Grenade with the pin out ....................I will add less so since Villa away.

Be good to see him put the For Sale signs up by rattling in some goals instead of trying to knock Mrs Miggins false teeth out having smashed the ball into her chops up in row BB

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs