Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

Interesting. It would be good to see a player Ralph sees as key commit to the club given the lack of resources, current speculation over the ownership and seemingly lack of any vision, despite my reservations still of him as a player. But, then we did get spoiled with Schnedierin and Wanyama for a couple of years.

On Saturday after the Newcastle match he made a point of pumping the badge numerous times on his walk around to the fans. I know we've seen it from Lallana etc before, but I did find it a bit odd given the news about his agent change and the stories that were circulating regarding his future.

• 1 month later...

PEH has the most midfield ball wins in the PL this season. About 30 more than 2nd place which Rice & Jorginho tied.

Also has the most recoveries in Europe per 90mins of midfielders under 26.

Clearly stats don't tell the whole story, but easy to see why big teams would show interest, especially as he will be available at a knock down fee, which will be very welcome in the next window in particular.

Don't think his influence on the team will appreciated until he's gone. When he plays well, we play well. A very crucial part of the team.
I would say his influence is clear. He would be a massive miss. Not least because our squad is a CM light anyway.

I would say his influence is clear. He would be a massive miss. Not least because our squad is a CM light anyway.

Agreed. I feel the same way about Tadic. Caught a lot of junk here for some reason but I always rated him. Now he's gone and we'd love him back

Don't think his influence on the team will appreciated until he's gone. When he plays well, we play well. A very crucial part of the team.

Very much this! I find it curious that of the three main midfielders in the squad, two are massively underrated/appreciated and the other somewhat

overrated/appreciated (though he has improved lately). Hojbjerg is the foundation of the match day squad, along with Ings. Hope he stays.....he certainly has a lot of time to think about it!

Agreed. I feel the same way about Tadic. Caught a lot of junk here for some reason but I always rated him. Now he's gone and we'd love him back

This. He's massively underrated, as was Tadic. He'll be a huge loss.

PEH has the most midfield ball wins in the PL this season. About 30 more than 2nd place which Rice & Jorginho tied.

Also has the most recoveries in Europe per 90mins of midfielders under 26.

Clearly stats don't tell the whole story, but easy to see why big teams would show interest, especially as he will be available at a knock down fee, which will be very welcome in the next window in particular.

We play high press football geared towards forcing mistakes from the opposition in the area's PEH plays. We also have quite low possession stats. You put any fit midfielder into our team and they'd have high stats for interceptions/recoveries/tackles etc.

Hojbjerg is actually overrated by our fans because of his fist pumping and badge slapping. They don't stop singing that bloody song when we have other much better players that don't ever get mentioned.

He's clearly a million times better than any of us but in Premier League terms he's distinctly average. No shame in that, but I doubt he'd get much of a look in at a better team.

In my opinion, hojbjerg is an average PL player playing in a slightly below average PL team. I think we are his level.

He isn’t a game changer, he isn’t (normally) terrible. If he left, would we (could we?) improve on him? Probably not with our virtually non existent budget.

If he will stay we should keep him. Else it’ll be another team downgrade....

He isn’t a patch on what a younger Romeu was.....

We play high press football geared towards forcing mistakes from the opposition in the area's PEH plays. We also have quite low possession stats. You put any fit midfielder into our team and they'd have high stats for interceptions/recoveries/tackles etc.
Or maybe he is particularly good at the role?

Which is why JWP is second behind PEH and way out in front of third....oh.

Hojberg is basically Glenn Cockerill without the goals.

Think how Morgan flopped after his big move, and he was universally admired and infinitely better than Pierre.

I'm sure he will be sold, they all are, but I can't see him doing anything at Spurs or Arsenal or (more likely) Everton or Leicester.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hojberg is basically Glenn Cockerill without the goals.

Think how Morgan flopped after his big move, and he was universally admired and infinitely better than Pierre.

I'm sure he will be sold, they all are, but I can't see him doing anything at Spurs or Arsenal or (more likely) Everton or Leicester.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it's right to say he might not be top 8 material, but also history tells us we'll replace him with something a whole lot worse....

Standard footballer interview really.
Yes, just hope he remembers that until he gets the move he is the captain at Saints.

His intentions have been clear for a while, not signing a contract and then changing Agent.

Shame that due to his contract and the current circumstances we will probably get the same kind of money we wasted on Vestergaard.

Going to be a big next transfer window for us in central midfield, especially if JWP has any interest in him and if Romeu wants to leave to get regular games as was hinted in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/07/tottenham-interested-inpierre-emile-hojbjerg-will-assess-budget/

Difficult one for Saints as we don't want anything dragging on through the window, whenever that is and certainly don't want him to sit tight and leave on a free the season after.

Assuming he isn't interested in signing a new deal then hopefully we sell as soon as we can, but certainly this next window will be a strange on.

Or maybe he is particularly good at the role?

Yeah i like him, but using those stats to justify it is of limited value, and he does give the ball away at critical times. No denying that either.

Which is why JWP is second behind PEH and way out in front of third....oh.

Never fails to amaze me how a reasoned opposing point of view gets treated with such disdain on this place. Especially since your disdain (and apparent judge of ability between JWP and PEH is misplaced.

I also checked the stats myself.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle

James Warde Prose is 10th in the league of all players (and positions) for tackles.

PEH is 12th.

With respect to fouls, PEH and JWP are equal 5th. Neither of them feature particularly highly for headers.

JWP is 28th for interceptions, (Bednarek is 6th), PEH is 25th (with 2more than JWP)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/interception

No need to compare attacking stats such as chance creation, goals, assists etc....

Doesn't sounds like very good news to me, sounds like he's made his mind up he wants out...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southamptons-pierre-emile-hojbjerg-discusses-future-failed-bayern-munich/

Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg says the club knows what he wants amid rumours about his future.

The Denmark midfielder is set to enter the final year of his contract this summer after spending the last four years at St Mary’s following a move from Bayern Munich.

So far there has been no indication from him or Southampton that he is set to extend his stay at the club beyond that point.

If that isn’t the case, the Saints may be forced to sell this summer in order to avoid losing the 24-year-old on a free next year.

Naturally, there have been plenty of rumours, with reports recently indicating that Everton may be looking at a potential move.

Höjbjerg has now added fuel to those flames, stating that he is keen to make the step up soon and Southampton are more than aware of his intentions.

“I know what I want, the club knows it too,” he told Sport 1.

“I want to play at an even higher level than I am currently. The relationship between Southampton and me is fantastic.

“The club gave me the platform to grow. I’m not saying ‘Goodbye’ and I’m focused on my club, but my goal is very clear: I want to win the Premier League and the Champions League.

Höjbjerg’s arrival at Southampton four years ago was considered something of a coup for the club at the time given how highly rated he had been at the German giants.

Many had predicted he would go on to become a star at the Allianz Arena, hoping he could be a long-term replacement for Xabi Alonso or Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Ultimately that never happened and, when asked why he didn’t make the breakthrough at the club, he says it was his fault.

“My biggest weakness during this time was my impatience,” he added.

“I wasn’t ready to wait a year, two or three years for my breakthrough. I wanted to be important right away. I was too emotional too.

“But how can I fail? I trained with the best players in the world between the ages of 17 and 20. I was in a school of champions. But I wanted to get out of there and write my own story.

“I gained a lot of experience so that I could move on to develop elsewhere. When I was 23 I became a captain in a Premier League club. Now I’m hungry to get to the next level.”

Who wasn't honest?
Clyne for one kept talking about a new contract when he clearly had no intention of signing one. The club even briefed he was likely to sign one I think.

In this case it looks like Hojbjerg told Saints a while back that he wouldnt and wanted to see what else there was for him.

Hmmm. Everton the "next level" ??? Everton winning the Champions League ???

I think he will be disappointed.

He’s not going to be a regular for any team challenging for the PL or CL. However, Everton is a set up from us in financial and footballing terms.

Everton is probably his level.

If he wants to go, let him - think he might not end up being as good as he thinks he will, but who knows?

Concern is with the present situation and only one year of his contract left we might not get enough for him to fund a decent replacement, hence making us weaker overall again!

If he wants to go, let him - think he might not end up being as good as he thinks he will, but who knows?

Concern is with the present situation and only one year of his contract left we might not get enough for him to fund a decent replacement, hence making us weaker overall again!

Like Wanyama went.

We won t get more than 20m for him even 15 m i reckon

He's a pretty average premier league player. Couldn't see him getting into any top 6 sides. Everton or Newcastle (if their takeover goes through) would probably be the best he could do. Should be able to replace him relatively easily and I imagine JWP will be given the captaincy.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs