Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

Nice article on Hojbjerg in The Athletic, showing why his key stats make him very attractive for other clubs.

It suggests he prefers Spurs to Everton and won't sign a new deal at Saints.

Passing into final third per90 - 13th of midfielders with 900+mins

15th for aeriel duel wins

1st for ball recoveries (a key of our game under RH)

Available for all but 2 PL games and no major injuries since 2013

That's a huge but underrated virtue for a player*. Imagine if the likes of Pahars and Ekelund, etc. had been the same.

*Provided the player is at least semi-decent.

That's a huge but underrated virtue for a player*. Imagine if the likes of Pahars and Ekelund, etc. had been the same.

*Provided the player is at least semi-decent.

Got me thinking about our least injured players. I can’t remember Pellè missing a game through injury and Lambert was pretty decent in that regard.

Lambert was Godly in that sense also considering the extra games in the FL. Just checked his appearance stats by season here:

2009-10 - 46 league matches (one for Bristol Rovers) 59 matches in total.

2010-11 - 45 league matches (missed the opener against Plymouth iirc) 52 matches in total.

2011-12 - 42 league matches (missed three because of that c*nt El-Abd) 48 matches in total.

2012-13 - 38 league matches - 38 matches in total.

2013-14 - 37 league matches - 39 matches in total.

Not much else other than the coaching team are seriously excited about him. Comparisons to wanyama have been made, "but 10x better". More box to box.

Looks a big lad,a bit of a proverbial "brick sh!thouse", who won't get shoved off the ball easy. Hence the Wanyama comparison. Will make a change from the shortarses we've churned out recently.

But still only 18, so maybe a year or two away from the first team.

Edited by Badger

Not much else other than the coaching team are seriously excited about him. Comparisons to wanyama have been made, "but 10x better". More box to box.

Good to hear. When are we thinking we’ll see him in the first team setup? I assume not next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks a big lad,a bit of a proverbial "brick sh!thouse", who won't get shoved off the ball easy. Hence the Wanyama comparison. Will make a change from the shortarses we've churned out recently.

But still only 18, so maybe a year or two away from the first team.

Seems fond of a Cruyff turn. I think at 18 he can certainly start being integrated into the first team if he has the quality, we will need to replace Hojbjerg definitely though as it would be very silly to go in to a season with just JWP, Romeu and an untested 18 year old as our midfield

Seems fond of a Cruyff turn. I think at 18 he can certainly start being integrated into the first team if he has the quality, we will need to replace Hojbjerg definitely though as it would be very silly to go in to a season with just JWP, Romeu and an untested 18 year old as our midfield

20 year old Will Smallbone aswell

I wouldn't be surprised if Romeu is on his way in the summer as well.

I do wonder if the original offer to him is still on the table. If it is still available, he must be naive and misguided not to sign. Don’t imagine an offer like it will be offered to anybody from any club in the summer of 2021........

I do wonder if the original offer to him is still on the table. If it is still available, he must be naive and misguided not to sign. Don’t imagine an offer like it will be offered to anybody from any club in the summer of 2021........

On the wider scale, not just Saints, I was thinking the other day that any player who has a lucrative contract offer on the table should be agreeing to sign it straight away. They wont be getting anything like, or the vast majority wont, when this is all over given the financial hit every club has taken.

so we could see a midfield of Smallbone, Jankewitz and JWP in near future then.

I doubt it. Covid 19 will probably just drive down prices across the board. We will most likely end up signing the same mediocre players as before, only we'll be paying £2-5m like we were 20 years ago.

I doubt it. Covid 19 will probably just drive down prices across the board. We will most likely end up signing the same mediocre players as before, only we'll be paying £2-5m like we were 20 years ago.

Sometimes you can be over negative. The thought that we could have three or more academy players playing for us at the same time is one that fills me with hope that our academy could be on the way back to a decent pathway for us.

Do you know who else is on his radar?

N’lundulu is meant to be highly rated and Will Ferry. Wonder what will become of Slattery, he was really highly rated but doesn’t seem to be fancied due to reports of being a bit of a helmet.

So, this thread seems to be getting away from its main topic. Can I just ask then...

* What is the current situation with Hojbjerg?

* Is the touted interest from Everton and Spurs genuine or just press speculation?

* If there was genuine interest, does that interest remain?

* As asked above, is there a contract offer on the table for Hojbjerg and is it still on the table? What is the likelihood that he will sign it?

* Should we be concerned that Pini Zahavi is his agent?

* If Hojbjerg does leave, will Saints replace him or will we use the money to strengthen in attack and defence? Who will take over Hojbjerg's role in the team in that case?

Sometimes you can be over negative. The thought that we could have three or more academy players playing for us at the same time is one that fills me with hope that our academy could be on the way back to a decent pathway for us.

TBH I thought you were the one saying this was bad. This kind of thing would usually only come about in a 2008 type situation, when we've sold the experienced players and are trying to make do with the kids. If they're good enough, then great but this is a thread about selling Hojbjerg.

So, this thread seems to be getting away from its main topic. Can I just ask then...

* What is the current situation with Hojbjerg?

* Is the touted interest from Everton and Spurs genuine or just press speculation?

* If there was genuine interest, does that interest remain?

* As asked above, is there a contract offer on the table for Hojbjerg and is it still on the table? What is the likelihood that he will sign it?

* Should we be concerned that Pini Zahavi is his agent?

* If Hojbjerg does leave, will Saints replace him or will we use the money to strengthen in attack and defence? Who will take over Hojbjerg's role in the team in that case?

Currently still a Saints player.

Club agent talk to sound out player, seems to be working.

Chatter still occurring.

No Contract talks. Hoj will leave this or next summer.

No, Pini should be helping get clubs lined up if Hoj wants to leave this summer. Just a question of how much and the cost.

He will be replaced. But first in the queue are the players already at the club, also depending on more immediate issues.

HTH. Based on how football works. [emoji2957]

Currently still a Saints player.

Club agent talk to sound out player, seems to be working.

Chatter still occurring.

No Contract talks. Hoj will leave this or next summer.

No, Pini should be helping get clubs lined up if Hoj wants to leave this summer. Just a question of how much and the cost.

He will be replaced. But first in the queue are the players already at the club, also depending on more immediate issues.

HTH. Based on how football works. [emoji2957]

Brilliantly succinct

I m surprised no one is talking about Bertrand, Boufal and Romeu with one year left too.

I don t see any of them signing a new one with maybe the exception of Romeu if he is wanted following Hojbjerg s departure.

So we ll probably sell them and not get near the amount for them had we flogged them off last summer.

• 4 weeks later...

He joined us as a stepping stone, so none of this is a surprise.

Having seen players who were significantly better than Pierre go to brighter pastures and fail I am not convinced that he is really going on to greatness. I'm pretty convinced he's going on to Everton, which is the complete opposite.

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He joined us as a stepping stone, so none of this is a surprise.

Having seen players who were significantly better than Pierre go to brighter pastures and fail I am not convinced that he is really going on to greatness. I'm pretty convinced he's going on to Everton, which is the complete opposite.

Yes, I think we will miss him, he’s found his level. He’s nowhere near top six signings.

1 hour ago, striker said:

I think we will really miss Hojbjerg if he leaves, just like with Tadic. Some folks don't rate anyone until they are gone.

I agree we'll miss him and think plenty don't rate him highly enough but he's more replaceable than Tadic.

On his day Tadic could mix it with the best whereas Hoj, while an accomplished centre mid arguably capable of surpassing our current level, has not often been a 'match winner' for us.

I would also suggest capable centre mids are more plentiful (and therefore theoretically cheaper to replace) than flair players like Tadic.

Tottenham make players-plus-cash transfer offer for Southampton star Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

Tottenham have made a players-plus-cash offer to sign Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg from Southampton, according to transfer expert Duncan Castles. Tottenham wanted to sign Hojbjerg in January and are once again pursuing the former Bayern Munich ace. The Denmark international is out of contract at St Mary's in 2021 and has been stripped of the captaincy after refusing to sign a new contract.

Castles has not named the players Tottenham have offered in part exchange for Hojbjerg and says it is one of three separate offers Southampton have received for the player.

Spurs have made such an offer because their transfer budget is set to be low in the upcoming window.

"Southampton see him as a player they have to sell in this market," Castles said on the Transfer Window podcast.

"They, I'm told, have three offers so far for the player, none of them are satisfactory, one extremely low at a financial level, and they have an offer of cash plus players in exchange, which I understand has come from Tottenham Hotspur.

"My information is that Jose Mourinho likes Hojbjerg and he sees him as a player obviously with substantial Premier League experience who he can bring into the centre of his midfield, can play a couple of positions in midfield at a relatively low cost, and solves some of the problems he sees in that squad.

"We've seen Mourinho talk about how he sees the market developing this year.

"We told you on the podcast I think two months ago now that Daniel Levy basically told him there would be no money for large transfer fees and he would have to look for players who are free agents or could be signed on loan with an option to buy in a year's time."

Speaking earlier this week, Mourinho admitted he does not expect to be able to spend like some of his rivals.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1298661/Tottenham-transfer-news-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg-Southampton-offer

Edited by SuperSAINT

I was thinking watching the game last night that out of our 4 usual midfield starters - hoj, WP, Redmond & Armstrong - hoj is probably the one I'd sell first.  He's a good player but too inconsistent even for a mid table team.  Won't be easy to replace though

On 6/18/2020 at 8:11 PM, striker said:

I think we will really miss Hojbjerg if he leaves, just like with Tadic. Some folks don't rate anyone until they are gone.

Not in the same class.

On his day Tadic was sublime. I don’t think it was  a question of not rating him, people were just frustrated by his lack of consistency.

PEH is just average. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs