Chelski 2- Saints 0

Ohio Saint

Hughes proved today that he is not the brightest when it comes to tactics. Team selection was abject and handed the initiative to Chelsea. Why play two up top and weaken the midfield if you are going to play defensively - it made no sense. We didn't look like a football team until he finally woke up and brought on Redmond and Tadic who at least gave Chelsea something to worry about. How he sat and watched Lemina for that first 45 minutes when his body language and plodding performance made it seem he didn't want to play is beyond me - did not one of the coaching staff notice that he gave absolutely no effort whatsoever? Amazing that he came out for the second half and was allowed to continue in the same vein. On the positive side we did do better once Hughes finally made the changes and were unlucky not least with the mystery foul on the keeper, Redmond's effort that goalie knew nothing about and the shot against the post. Overall though Chelsea deserved it on the day.

Hughes proved today that he is not the brightest when it comes to tactics. Team selection was abject and handed the initiative to Chelsea. Why play two up top and weaken the midfield if you are going to play defensively - it made no sense. We didn't look like a football team until he finally woke up and brought on Redmond and Tadic who at least gave Chelsea something to worry about. How he sat and watched Lemina for that first 45 minutes when his body language and plodding performance made it seem he didn't want to play is beyond me - did not one of the coaching staff notice that he gave absolutely no effort whatsoever? Amazing that he came out for the second half and was allowed to continue in the same vein. On the positive side we did do better once Hughes finally made the changes and were unlucky not least with the mystery foul on the keeper, Redmond's effort that goalie knew nothing about and the shot against the post. Overall though Chelsea deserved it on the day.

Agree it was odd to play Austin and Long when we sat so deep and Austin was miles from Long when we did try to release Long with his pace. It also didn’t help that our CBs and midfield treated the football like a hot potato in the first half. Neither Bednarek nor Hoedt was particularly comfortable playing out from the back and linking up with Cedric and Bertrand who were underused. Thought Lemina had a poor first half but grew into the game and ended it quite brightly.

Edited by shurlock

By some distance that was the flattest I've ever known our fans to be at Wembley, which, I suppose, is hardly surprising considering our season. As for our performance: well, I don't think it was quite as bad as some on here are making out; but Long's miss, the disallowed goal, and Hoedt's 'defending' for their second just about sums up our miserable season.

Our season in a nutshell...

Not strong enough at the back, Hoedt's attempt to defend Morata at the second goal was pathetic.

A Midfield with an inability to pass a football.

Strikers who simply struggle to put the ball in the back of the net.

No luck whatsoever.

Refs that cost us at vital points of the game.

Bit of a non-event really. No idea what we were trying to do in the first half, that was a very painful watch.

2nd half we were forced to come forward due to the early goal, so that made us look a bit better. No complaints though, pretty straight forward win for Chelsea. They didn't really have to break sweat.

Another very limp and meak performance by our pathetic bunch of men. No leaders out there, not a single one.

Bit of a non-event really. No idea what we were trying to do in the first half, that was a very painful watch.

2nd half we were forced to come forward due to the early goal, so that made us look a bit better. No complaints though, pretty straight forward win for Chelsea. They didn't really have to break sweat.

Another very limp and meak performance by our pathetic bunch of men. No leaders out there, not a single one.

spot on. I won’t be sorry to see any of this lot gone when we go down to be honest

I could see the plan with the formation, but really felt we needed a JWP or Davis in midfield (I appreciate the latter is injured), the 3 we started in midfield were too defensive minded and there was far too much of a gap between them an the strikers.

I like Long, but he just isn't good enough. He can control the ball further than most players can kick it, his chance showed how out-of-depth he is.

Hoedt is shocking, how he has 6 caps for Holland is beyond me. I've lost count of the amount of goals he's given away and he reminds me of Bambi when in position.

Lemina, wow, imagine being a professional footballer and simply not being arsed in an FA Cup semi final.

Redmond looked decent when he came on.

spot on. I won’t be sorry to see any of this lot gone when we go down to be honest

The sad thing is that they will probably all get gigs in a top flight league, as they do have ability. They're just not leaders, none of them. So when the chips are down and the going is tough we wilt, no one grabs the team, no one brings it together. It really is pathetic to see and whilst blame will lie with the players, the recruitment team should shoulder a lot of it as they have managed to assemble this leaderless bunch of players that will never, ever gel together. It all needs to be ripped up and started again and I don't want the people involved in putting this lot together anywhere near a 'rebuild'.

I don't understand why some are calling our performance rubbish. Yes we parked the bus in the first half. But it worked, we kept it to 0-0 at half time as planned. I'm sure MH's plan was to try to hold them off for about 60-70 minutes and then bring on Tadic/Gabbi to try and nick it. Unfortunately Giroud did it to us again just after half time.

We had a legitimate goal disallowed, Austin hit the post, their GK somehow managed to keep that Redmond shot out, and Long messed up when clear on goal. Chelsea were of course the better team, but we weren't rubbish. With a bit of luck and better refereeing we could've got a result against a superior squad.

Well said.

Lemina was puzzling - absolute gash in 1st half, but put in some decent tackles and one or two nice passes 2nd half.

The Morata goal unfortunately put the game to bed.

The sad thing is that they will probably all get gigs in a top flight league, as they do have ability. They're just not leaders, none of them. So when the chips are down and the going is tough we wilt, no one grabs the team, no one brings it together. It really is pathetic to see and whilst blame will lie with the players, the recruitment team should shoulder a lot of it as they have managed to assemble this leaderless bunch of players that will never, ever gel together. It all needs to be ripped up and started again and I don't want the people involved in putting this lot together anywhere near a 'rebuild'.

A lot of good individual players but unfortunately they don’t make a good team.

Odd comments on here, I can only assume our supporters have been subjected to dross football for so long they have developed some kind of Stockholm syndrome. Truth was we were fairly comfortably seen off by a half-assed Chelsea team who never got out of 2nd gear because they didn't have to.

Forward movement was sloth like, the Chelsea defence had all the time in the world to organise when we got the ball. Finishing was poor (what little of it we saw). Defence was brittle and midfield was for the first 60-70 mins pretty much overrun. Full backs were useless to the point that we may have well played 3 CBs and stuck another man in midfield.

I think the soporific football has seeped through to the fans as the atmosphere was as lacklustre as I've ever experienced, certainly not a patch on say the 03 final. I don't blame them TBH, what the hell is there to cheer about?

I think a Bournemouth team on a good run will beat us (they actually attack at pace unlike our statues) and all but send us down.

I just hope relegation will be a rejuvenation because this is one seriously clapped out team, worse than the class of 04/05. A chainsaw needs to be applied and a complete rebuild undertaken. Puel and Pellegrino have wrecked them.

Also last but not least I hope Reed is removed, he's the architect of all this and needs to face the music. He believed he could turn water into wine and pushed his luck further and further. Well this season the luck ran out. Goodbye and good riddance.

Just on the train back to Yorkshire ..

No doubt the team is set up better and we have shape. First half we were just a little slow on the ball albeit re confidence but then ruined all the hard work in the first minute of the second half.

Personally I think if we continue this way, we have a chance if we beat Boscome and Swansea.

I was in the Wembley inner circle and I can honestly say that bar 3 renditions of OWTS .. our support not good. I said this at the league cup final last year, it’s getting dire and embarrassing.

Hazard was the difference today ... but all in all I don’t think there is to much to complain about bar Austin’s goal

God, we've got some ****ing idiot fans. On the train home & I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading. We were beaten by the better side , but we didn't embarrass ourselves. We put on a pretty decent performance, that had we replicated all season , we'd be nowhere near the bottom 3. I've had 4 or 5 texts from neutrals saying we did ok, yet our supporters are the ones slagging the players off. I've been extremely critical of the players attitude this season, but today it was a lack of ability rather than effort. What the **** are some of you clowns on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought we done alright today to be honest. First half was a bit disappointing though.

If long put his chance away and the ref doesn’t disallow a perfectly good goal (from what I’ve seen) it’s a different game.

Thought Hughes got it wrong with his subs last week, but spot on with them this week.

Once again, a team score a header at the back post against our pathetic excuse of a defence.

Check out @SouthamptonFC’s Tweet:

He's right. Why the **** didn't the ref consult VAR for the disallowed goal? If he'd consulted it and still disallowed it fair enough (although I think that would be the wrong decision), but to not even look is ****ing disgraceful.

Just got back.

We were dreadful in the first half, didn't try at all to attack them.

Sloppy to concede a goal straight away in the second half, but actually it was the best thing that could've happened because we had to attack them.

Referee was dreadful, there ought to be an age limit.

Fans were superb throughout.

God, we've got some ****ing idiot fans. On the train home & I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading. We were beaten by the better side , but we didn't embarrass ourselves. We put on a pretty decent performance, that had we replicated all season , we'd be nowhere near the bottom 3. I've had 4 or 5 texts from neutrals saying we did ok, yet our supporters are the ones slagging the players off. I've been extremely critical of the players attitude this season, but today it was a lack of ability rather than effort. What the **** are some of you clowns on?

This.

Yeah I agree with the sentiments of this- we played reasonably well and didn’t get embarassed.

In fact, a lot of ifs and buts in today’s game, like most football games!

Shane Long 1v1, then a goal from Caballero’s mistake (debateable), Austin hits the bar, Caballero with the dodgiest save from Redmonds shot, Hazard apparent handball with the first goal (could not see this from my seat).

The Saints fans were in decent voice, wish we did sell out our allocation to truly make it rocking!

However I am home now all sound and tired in what turned out to be a truly frustrating afternoon.

The Wembley fun is over and I am not even angry. The Bournemouth game is simply must win and far bigger.

Five thoughts:

1. Yoshida and Hoedt are awful and inspire no confidence whatsoever. Both very poor today and miles short of the level of our previous CBs

2. Long and Austin cannot start together. Neither is technically good enough to hold the ball. Long is better on his own, but is a woeful finisher. We improved massively when he went off. They have played together a couppe of times (away at Bmth under Koeman I think) and have not looked remotely like a partnership

3. Tadic and Redmond either side of Austin is the way to go til the end of the season.

4. Our squad is so shot of confidence on the ball but also a coherent game plan. Chelsea were well drilled and have played their system for a couple of years. We look like a rabble

5. Not sure on Hughes for next season. Surely we should have subbed at HT? Would likely not have stopped their goal but first half was so woeful I assumed he would have recognised that.

I agree about today atmosphere wise, but I don’t think you can fully blame the fans, as producing an atmosphere for this team is the ultimate in turd polishing exercises.

Don’t recognise your comments about a poor atmosphere at the League Cup Final last year though, it was fantastic.

There are signs of improvement, but it will take a hell of an effort to survive now. But hey it should be interesting at least.

I agree, though Lemina gave one of the least committed performances I've seen all season.

Taking off Hojbjerg was odd, should’ve been Romeu or Lemina 100%, both were awful and both were booked.

I'm guessing he wants Hojbjerg to be fresh for Bournemouth.

and once again one of your posts starts by insulting fellow supporters........you really are a bore.

get home, sober up and watch a replay of that first 45 minutes......then take a look at Chelsea who basically didn’t break into top gear at any point. Last week we matched and at times bettered them, a crazy 10 mins did for us. We were nowhere near that level today.

and once again one of your posts starts by insulting fellow supporters........you really are a bore.

get home, sober up and watch a replay of that first 45 minutes......then take a look at Chelsea who basically didn’t break into top gear at any point. Last week we matched and at times bettered them, a crazy 10 mins did for us. We were nowhere near that level today.

:lol:

Five thoughts:

1. Yoshida and Hoedt are awful and inspire no confidence whatsoever. Both very poor today and miles short of the level of our previous CBs

2. Long and Austin cannot start together. Neither is technically good enough to hold the ball. Long is better on his own, but is a woeful finisher. We improved massively when he went off. They have played together a couppe of times (away at Bmth under Koeman I think) and have not looked remotely like a partnership

3. Tadic and Redmond either side of Austin is the way to go til the end of the season.

4. Our squad is so shot of confidence on the ball but also a coherent game plan. Chelsea were well drilled and have played their system for a couple of years. We look like a rabble

5. Not sure on Hughes for next season. Surely we should have subbed at HT? Would likely not have stopped their goal but first half was so woeful I assumed he would have recognised that.

I think that's harsh on Yoshida. He made a couple of excellent covering challenges in the first half. Obviously he's not as good as Fonte, Lovren, Alderweirald, Van **** etc. but I thought he was decent today.

I think that's harsh on Yoshida. He made a couple of excellent covering challenges in the first half. Obviously he's not as good as Fonte, Lovren, Alderweirald, Van **** etc. but I thought he was decent today.

He only made those challenges because he was out of position in the first place.

How much longer will the FA turn a blind eye to the blatant bias referees show towards the top sides - it is tantamount to cheating. There have been two highly controversial decisions in our last two games against Chelsea and no surprise that both went in their favour. I said before the game today that we would get nothing from the officials because the media and FA will be desperate for the final to be the Mourinho versus his ex club show.

Chelsea were the better side, but they are a better side so why are fans surprised that we tried to hang in there and hope for something to go our way.

In games like this you need a bit of luck to go your way, and not have the ref giving any 50-50 decisions against you.

Hughes is correct if we had been awarded the goal the whole balance of the game could have changed. We were growing in confidence and Chelsea were less assured.

Was Hoedt pushed for the 2nd goal as I cant see how he ended on his haunches not challenging

Chelsea on chances deserved to win but that means nothing as we have found out many times oursekves

Nothing says 'negative' like starting with two strikers!

We never looked like winning that game but it could have been a lot worse. Lemina shouldn't play again this season.

I thought his second half was very good! Who would you have selected instead? The thing that stood out in the game was our lack of creativity, speed and run; the finish of Giroud and the heavy touch of Long was another stark difference. You couldn't fault the second half effort by Saints but the cumulative effect of two years of poor coaching, management and board decision making, together with a whittling away of the squad's better players has been laid bare today, and for that matter all season.

He's right. Why the **** didn't the ref consult VAR for the disallowed goal? If he'd consulted it and still disallowed it fair enough (although I think that would be the wrong decision), but to not even look is ****ing disgraceful.

It was checked. Why do you think it wasn’t?

Says it all when it takes a ref to the 50 odd minute to give us our first free kick!! ..... yellow cards given out to our players like sweets, yet nothing for the late challenge on Cedric!!?? Don't get me started on the disallowed goal!

I am hoping that we get the 'big' club treatment in the Championship !

Chelsea were the better side, but they are a better side so why are fans surprised that we tried to hang in there and hope for something to go our way.

In games like this you need a bit of luck to go your way, and not have the ref giving any 50-50 decisions against you.

Hughes is correct if we had been awarded the goal the whole balance of the game could have changed. We were growing in confidence and Chelsea were less assured.

Was Hoedt pushed for the 2nd goal as I cant see how he ended on his haunches not challenging

Chelsea on chances deserved to win but that means nothing as we have found out many times oursekves

This is the first reference I have seen to Hoedt being pushed yet at the game I clearly thought I saw Morata’s arm shove him in the back. Mind you, I was at the other end of the ground and 150 metres away. No players complained and none of the camera angles seemed to cover it so VAR was of no use. Atkinson was clearly conferring with them on his way back to the centre line.

This is the first reference I have seen to Hoedt being pushed yet at the game I clearly thought I saw Morata’s arm shove him in the back. Mind you, I was at the other end of the ground and 150 metres away. No players complained and none of the camera angles seemed to cover it so VAR was of no use. Atkinson was clearly conferring with them on his way back to the centre line.

Morata pushed Hoedt in the back, which gave him the space to score. It reminded me a little of Lukaku’s goal in the home loss against Man U.

Was JWP injured? That would be the only reason that meaningless cipher Lemina was on the pitch. A player that scores, assists and gives his all for the club doesn't even get a chance at Wembley? Unless MH is saving him for Saturday? Happy to never see Cedric & Bertrand again as well. No pressing forward in a meaningful way from either which makes a mockery of the 5 at the back formation. Deflated.

He did play well today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I notice the ones that have played well lately are the ones that don’t strop when they are left out for a bit. Kind of ironic that the stroppy ones come in and then play total **** suggesting that they have no justification for stroppiness in the first place.

100% this.

It was checked. Why do you think it wasn’t?

"The keeper Willy Caballero made a glaring mistake," Hughes said. "I don't know how they made that decision so quickly, Charlie Austin did nothing wrong..

"If ever there was a situation for VAR to step in and say we probably need to review that I would have thought that was the opportunity to do that."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43772431

"The keeper Willy Caballero made a glaring mistake," Hughes said. "I don't know how they made that decision so quickly, Charlie Austin did nothing wrong..

"If ever there was a situation for VAR to step in and say we probably need to review that I would have thought that was the opportunity to do that."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43772431

I saw Hughes’s quote but he doesn’t know what went on between the referees.

There was quite a discussion about this incident on the BT Sport coverage with Graham Poll explaining that any touch on the keeper whilst he is in the air is a foul and the three ex-professionals saying that this was a stupid rule. They also said the the review referee saw nothing wrong with the decision either.

My beef is with Morata’s goal. There was an obvious push on Hoedt but this didn’t figure in any replay on any camera angle. Atkinson had a long discussion with the VAR about the goal but if there’s no evidence of the foul it won’t be given.

I don't understand why some are calling our performance rubbish. Yes we parked the bus in the first half. But it worked, we kept it to 0-0 at half time as planned. I'm sure MH's plan was to try to hold them off for about 60-70 minutes and then bring on Tadic/Gabbi to try and nick it. Unfortunately Giroud did it to us again just after half time.

We had a legitimate goal disallowed, Austin hit the post, their GK somehow managed to keep that Redmond shot out, and Long messed up when clear on goal. Chelsea were of course the better team, but we weren't rubbish. With a bit of luck and better refereeing we could've got a result against a superior squad.

I agree, we need a "fan" cull at the end of the season as well.