Being a Saints fan, an exercise in futility?

OttawaSaint

Just seems so pointless.

When we’re good we know the players will be off and we’ll have to start again.

We don’t get decisions against big teams so can just forget it if we want to win a cup.

I guess we should have enjoyed those 8, 7, 6 finishes, knowing we’d be weakened by playing in Europe and that we’d be picked apart by the big team vultures unsettling our players.

If we stay up, what do we have to look forward to? Another relegation scrap?

We willingly sold so many in such a short space of time

We really didn’t have to and no other club outside of Leeds and Pompey have ever done that

I don’t buy into the MLG line of us being the best ever ‘best of the rest’

It was club strategy and it has failed spectacularly

Ottawa

To be fair we are no different to all bar 6 clubs in the country.

The likes of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea have the financial backing and commercial revenue to be always challenging for honours.

Apart from the 'miracle' that was Leicester City the rest of the teams in the Prem are one season away from trouble after suffering from poor recruitment/poor managers/crap recruitment

We will now go down to battle it out with a lot of similar sized or arguably bigger teams than ourselves.

If we can make use of the Parachute Payments, maximise transfer fees from a host of departing underachievers, get a decent manager and recruitment staff and buy in suitable replacement players we may have an enjoyable time.

If not and we have a new owner keen to repatriate his buying expenses and trying to deal with uninterested players on huge wages then there is a Pompey style scenario in the offing!!

Just seems so pointless.

We don’t get decisions against big teams so can just forget it if we want to win a cup.

I guess we should have enjoyed those 8, 7, 6 finishes, knowing we’d be weakened by playing in Europe and that we’d be picked apart by the big team vultures unsettling our players.

I've just been to Wembley and, result aside, have had a lovely day. Great day out, memories, singing my heart out, bittersweet defeat. But I was there.

86 other football league clubs did not make it to the FA Cup semi-final.

Last time I looked, you were still pi ssing and grizzling about a handball goal fu cking months ago and how that has relegated us when patently it hasn't.

I'm looking forward to next season. Because that's what we do. We march on. Next season 1st, 6th, 15th, 24th. Still support them. In the blood, see.

Maybe you've picked the wrong hobby because from what I can see, you're fuc king useless to our cause.

Maybe it's you that's pointless? Maybe that.

I've just been to Wembley and, result aside, have had a lovely day. Great day out, memories, singing my heart out, bittersweet defeat. But I was there.

Last time I looked, you were still pi ssing and grizzling about a handball goal fu cking months ago and how that has relegated us when patently it hasn't.

I'm looking forward to next season. Because that's what we do. We march on. Next season 1st, 6th, 15th, 24th. Still support them. In the blood, see.

Maybe you've picked the wrong hobby because from what I can see, you're fuc king useless to our cause.

CB Fry on form.

We really didn’t have to and no other club outside of Leeds and Pompey have ever done that

Would those players have signed new contracts knowing they had better offers elsewhere? Other than Mané (out of contract this summer) and Van Dijk, everyone else would have left on free transfers by now. Even Leicester couldn't hold on to Kanté when they had just won the league, jumped ship to the club that had just finished 10th first chance he got.

As I see it our problem was precisely the opposite, we didn't get rid of enough players. We lacked ambition and gave the mediocre supporting cast new contracts instead of looking to upgrade them so we regressed when the players we bought weren't up to the standard of the ones we lost.

Yeah, it's all quite pointless, even Spurs fans are feeling the same way believe it or not, hoping they win something before their current team is dismantled by the parasites. It's what happens when the governing bodies abdicate their responsibilities and let clubs regulate themselves, the most powerful ones just stack the deck in their favour.

It wasn't selling that was the problem but replacing the ones that left. We got big money for a few of those that left and then fritted the money away on sub standard signings and wage hikes for the average players left behind. Several times we didn't even replace the player the left with a proper replacement especially at CB and in attack.

It wasn't selling that was the problem but replacing the ones that left. We got big money for a few of those that left and then fritted the money away on sub standard signings and wage hikes for the average players left behind. Several times we didn't even replace the player the left with a proper replacement especially at CB and in attack.

Selling that many in such a short space of time was the problem. Saints, Leeds and Pompey all have done it over the years. Look what happened to all 3.

Maybe its you that has had a few too many libations, just a hunch.

Just seems so pointless.

You supported the management while they sold and sold out.

Crying now seems a lot like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted

You reap what u sow buddy

You supported the management while they sold and sold out.

Crying now seems a lot like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted

You reap what u sow buddy

The whole time people here shouted down those who were concerned!

Being told Cedric was better than clyne, tadic was better than lallana, Romeu better than wanyama, Stephens is as good as 3rd choice CB we could get, Redmond was fine as Mane’s replacement and so on.

A few words from Les and fans lapped it up.

The club were experts in making saints fans generally hate those who they allowed to leave (probably encouraged) so easily!

:lol:

Yes we did.

Selling that many in such a short space of time was the problem. Saints, Leeds and Pompey all have done it over the years. Look what happened to all 3.

Nope. Our big sell off the first time actually saw us progress becuase the replacements were good enough or better than the one's that left is was the summer Koeman left where it went all Pete Tong when the recruitment of new replacements wasn't up to scratch. Selling so many players wasn't the issue replacing them properly was. Had we spent the money we got from those sales more wisely when Koeman left we could have moved the team forward again just like we did after Poch left.

Yawn. What a load of complete utter drivel, the guy has a genuine point and you reply with some bunch of tired cliches like you are taking part in a hollywood sports movie.

'in the blood' hilarious, did you get that from a greeting card?

Nope. Our big sell off the first time actually saw us progress becuase the replacements were good enough or better than the one's that left is was the summer Koeman left where it went all Pete Tong when the recruitment of new replacements wasn't up to scratch. Selling so many players wasn't the issue replacing them properly was. Had we spent the money we got from those sales more wisely when Koeman left we could have moved the team forward again just like we did after Poch left.

Spot on. What a waste. We were really on a roll for a couple seasons. It could have continued.

Of course, selling so many players is an issue. Every player sold needs to be replaced and creates the risk that the replacement might be gash -never mind making it harder for the team to gel.

Parts of your post were fair comments of a saints fan. The rest was the obviously small minded personal vitriol that we come to expect from you.

Our fans get more pleasure from the 'small', rare victories we occasionally have over the likes of Manchester United, than the fans of Big Six clubs seem to do from winning trophies. Those guys only seem to get out of bed to cheer winning the Prem or Champion's League. Everything else is beneath them. It isn't futile being a Saints fan: the highs and sheer joy is there. But it is so frustrating to see us throw away the enviable position we occupied only 3 short years ago - best of the rest 1st team squad, best academy, a pocket powerhouse club churning out talent, beautiful football and fantastic league finishes. However the impending lows will only serve to make the returning highs so much sweeter again when they eventually come.

Our fans get more pleasure from the 'small', rare victories we occasionally have over the likes of Manchester United, than the fans of Big Six clubs seem to do from winning trophies. Those guys only seem to get out of bed to cheer winning the Prem or Champion's League. Everything else is beneath them. It isn't futile being a Saints fan: the highs and sheer joy is there. But it is so frustrating to see us throw away the enviable position we occupied only 3 short years ago - best of the rest 1st team squad, best academy, a pocket powerhouse club churning out talent, beautiful football and fantastic league finishes. However the impending lows will only serve to make the returning highs so much sweeter again when they eventually come.

Nicely put. That helps.

Of course, selling so many players is an issue. Every player sold needs to be replaced and creates the risk that the replacement might be gash -never mind making it harder for the team to gel.

Don't remember there being much problem gelling in 2014-2015 season or 2015-2016 season either. I still maintain we could have coped with players sales if you get the recruitment of the replacements right. That's not to say there isn't risk in such a policy clearly there is. The issue for me is that the money made from the player sales wasn't utilised properly and that we didn't always replace like for like (as in position and type of player) when players left. Having said that anyone thinks we could have happily bumbled along telling every player who wanted to leave "no" until their contract run down to nothing is living in cloud cuckoo land...

Don't remember there being much problem gelling in 2014-2015 season or 2015-2016 season either. I still maintain we could have coped with players sales if you get the recruitment of the replacements right. That's not to say there isn't risk in such a policy clearly there is. The issue for me is that the money made from the player sales wasn't utilised properly and that we didn't always replace like for like (as in position and type of player) when players left. Having said that anyone thinks we could have happily bumbled along telling every player who wanted to leave "no" until their contract run down to nothing is living in cloud cuckoo land...

There wasn’t a problem because we had players in both seasons who had demonstrated they could make a difference in the league and form the spine of a side -notwithstanding the disruption around it.

2014-15: Fonte, Clyne, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis to name a few.

2015-16: Fonte, Wanyama, Mané, Pelle, Bertrand, Davis and Tadic.

This season we have Bertrand and to some extent Romeu, though he’s been poor. The rest have too many red flags (Austin-injury), (Davis-age) and (Tadic-consistency) to be truly counted on.

Perhaps the hope was that having underwhelmed in their first season, the likes of PEH, Boufal, Gabbi and Redmond would kick on in their second season; but that hasn’t happened and the result is that we’ve been left with the shell of a side, relative to previous seasons.

I agree that recruitment has been poor. A related problem is that we’ve cut too close to the bone. We’ve recruited on the assumption that a new signing could pick up the slack left by the departing player and that they would largely be ‘hits’. That’s dangerous in its own right since many signings, no matter how good they look on paper, don’t work out. It’s particularly dangerous in our case as no individual signing could ever be expected to fill such big shoes as VVD and Mané.

Edited by shurlock

Hmmmmm maybe that. Maybe that, Fry.

88 teams - don’t tell me the Sky72 or whatever the fck it was was wasted branding. Do they still call it that?

Yawn. What a load of complete utter drivel, the guy has a genuine point and you reply with some bunch of tired cliches like you are taking part in a hollywood sports movie.

'in the blood' hilarious, did you get that from a greeting card?

If Saints are not 'in your blood' you are free to go and support someone else, sooner the better. When you are born in so'ton and have followed them all your life (in my case since the war) there is a strong feeling it is 'in the blood'. I couldn't change to anyone else, what ever happened

Totally and utterly correct.

I'll add to that insomuch as that next season, even though it may be futile in some people's minds, I'll be there supporting my club in the northern hellholes we'll be playing. It's what you do as a fan.

This. Perspective. We are being relegated, not wound up. Next season 11 blokes in red and white will run out at SMS and the journey will continue.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

How many of those players we "willingly sold" wanted to stay at the club? Genuine question.
Eerrr 50k a week or 120k a week at a bigger club where I have a much better chance of winning something. Nah, you're going to have to help me out, I'm struggling with that one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The whole time people here shouted down those who were concerned!

Being told Cedric was better than clyne, tadic was better than lallana, Romeu better than wanyama, Stephens is as good as 3rd choice CB we could get, Redmond was fine as Mane’s replacement and so on.

A few words from Les and fans lapped it up.

The club were experts in making saints fans generally hate those who they allowed to leave (probably encouraged) so easily!

Steady you were telling us Pelle was rubbish, how many did he score that season?

I had a nice time too, but felt a bit sorry for my daughter, who after watching them six times has still not seen a win. I hated Chelsea for their cynicism, but wonder if there is a single team in the Premier with less spirit and fight than us. Clue: there isn't. That's what really hurts. Watching Lemina skulking round, not getting stuck in. Watching Shane Long and his 50p feet. Watching the tedious horizontal passing with nobody brave enough to actually run at the OPPO. Seeing a Saints team not playing as a team for an entire season. Watching us kick the ball straight out of play in the very first move, setting the tone. Watching the ref clearly bias to the big club (investigation to reveal the Abramovich payoffs ten years hence). And watching our inexorable slide like the slow death of a good friend. Yes, some of us will always support them no matter what. And yes, some of us feel that as a long, thudding pain. But that doesn't mean we want anything but the best, to compete at the highest level. To just shrug and accept it as our place is just wrong. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DT

The bit that ****es me off and had me wondering why we bother is that we don't get to Wembley very often but when we do, we get perfectly good goals disallowed. We had VAR today but it wasn't used. Why not? It makes it all seem rather pointless if the goals are just going to be scrubbed off whenever there is a chance of us actually achieving something. Bit like Chelsea last week. Apparently the ref didn't see the stamp on Long even though it was right in front of him.

If you want Disney fairy tale, trophy winning, tickle my tummy football you're supporting the wrong club.

We are Southampton, a city that follows its club - today at Wembley being an example, a great day out.

It will be more Quentin Tarantino than Disney but it's our city club.

Like CB Fry I will be there next season, be it watching Man City or Shrewsbury Town.

Frankly many of those who had a good day out and will enjoy the memories are precisely the ones who have not been following the club up and down the country. I know many today who do and are not Disney fans, whatever that means and they did not have a good time and were at Wembley, largely going through the motions.

Edited by shurlock

Yes my handle is OttawaSaint. I lived in Ottawa when I joined here. I now live just across the river in Aylmer, Quebec.

Some posters will see the name and instantly think, “****ing Canadians know **** all about football etc.”.

The truth is, is that most Canadians that follow football are very knowledgeable. I am a Canadian right now (since I am in Canada) but I am originally a Brit that lived near Andover back in 1980. My dad took me to my first game back in 1981 (I think) and I fell in love with Mick Channon and the Saints, seeing them play Man City off the park (4-1). I’ve been a Saints fan since then. We moved to Germany for a bit (Military) and actually had to have someone send us a VHS tape with the 1984 cup semi final on it for us to watch. We came back in 86 but lived up North but did all the away games up there. Never forget going to Scarboro in the cup and two heart breaking 3-3 ties with Newcastle and Boro, and also a felt like a win comeback to 3-3 at Elland Road.

I love this club, but in the last few years it feels like all we have is to hope we can give the big clubs a bloody nose and maybe get a favourable run to a cup win. The last 2 seasons have been full of the frustration of our best players getting poached. Even when we played hard ball it blew up in our faces with VVD moping around the field.

The big clubs are just getting bigger and the money getting crazier. Refs are now under pressure to not damage the product. We had VAR there today but did they use it? Did they ****ers like. More $$$ for everyone if you get a Chelsea vs Utd final.

I will still be a Saints fan if and when we go down but it begs the question. What do teams 8-20 aim for. It almost seems better to go down and have a shot at some glory than winning 10-12 games out of 38 to stay in the big boy’s club.

I do think the owners/senior decision makers at the club do underestimate how damaging selling players to one club in quick succession is?

My youngest lad won't support Saints..he calls them a feeder club for Liverpool and can't see the point of supporting a team which is just there to develop talent for another club. Yes players leave, yes we will always sell them to the big boys but to sell over and over to one club damages the view fans have of the club. My lad has chosen not to support a team- probably because he feels the pressure to support no one other than Saints from me and my older son but he is adamant that supporting Liverpools feeder club is not an option for him..

My eldest son hasn't had a players name on the back of his shirt for a couple of seasons now..according to him.there is no point, the likelihood is his favourite player will be sold at the end of the season anyway.

No matter what is said about not being able to stop players leaving etc, the policy was one chosen by the club, they chose to sell the club as a stepping stone club where players show no loyalty to the badge as they are just passing through and they have, IMO, damaged the perspective that their own fans look at the club..on top of that they assembled a very expensive squad and hired two idiots to manage them.

I saw a kid with 'Lemina' on his shirt yesterday and wondered if it will be the first one in history to be taken off before it sets. What a despicable human being that bloke is

Let's not go nuts. He's not selling poisoned milk to schoolchildren.

He's just a lazy ***** uninterested in his job.

Lemina could be a great player, so could Boufal. Is there something wrong with them or with the club that we have failed to bring the best out of them?

Who knows, they are both the type of player who always has and probably always will lack consistency. They'd probably both be just fine as bit part replacements in Top 8 sides. I believe I said so at the time of transfer speculation about both of them. In the case of Lemina, Juventus don't sell players they want to keep unless the price is ridiculous.

Saints need to learn from Lemina, Gabbidiani and Hoedt about "available" players from top Italian sides.

I saw a kid with 'Lemina' on his shirt yesterday and wondered if it will be the first one in history to be taken off before it sets. What a despicable human being that bloke is
I saw a fan with Carillo on his shirt talk about a bad choice