Our fans

whelk

a68a0c4d201e8543b54fb0b20f8b6978.jpg This is all. Popcorn eating, Bermuda shirt wearing, types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they had tickets and so were members, who must have been to games. Its disgraceful that they weren't wearing replica kits with their guts hanging out, shame on them

Not so much about our own fans, but god I can't stand the social media addition to football programmes and events. I know it doesn't do any harm, but showing photos of members of the crowd who have tweeted the FA/Wembley account... what is the point? When watching MOTD, do I really need to know what a player, or worse, a fan, has tweeted about the game?

I'm not against social media, it has a good use. But mainly for people who want to use it for their own needs and interests. Not for every possible outlet to shove it in your face at every opportunity they get.

The atmosphere yesterday was flat. But it got a bit better at times where we attacked. Supporters should be better at giving their backing when a team is struggling, but it is difficult to cheer when there is next to nothing happening on the pitch to get you excited. I do find it odd when people decide to get up and amble past everyone in the row at the point when something good is happening though. Wait for an injury, or at the very least wait for a goal kick or throw in! At one point yesterday a family decided the best point to leave their seats was when we were about to take a corner! Towards the end of the game, the family in front of us decided to leave. Not really a problem, but rather than leaving their seats, they decided to stand up and have a chat amongst themselves so that we couldn't see what was going on. That probably reflected the whole apathy of the team/fans/club on the day.

It's also amazing how keen people are to wave their flags about but when it comes to joining in with the singing they are deathly silent. In fact, I even got a few looks from people as if to say "why are you singing so loudly?"

Rant over. Feels nice to get that off my chest.

I agree except for one thing. I (68) was there with my grandson (15) and our tickets cost £70 each. Our coach arrived at 10:30 and after nearly four hours of walking around I appreciated a chance to sit down.

What is it about standing up? We were at the back of 126 and there were several individuals around who had no idea that there was a football match going on. They were too busy going for a píss, coming back from a píss, looking for their mates, standing up and looking for their mates, banging the roof panels above them. I don’t think they watched the game once.

And another thing. They were the first to leave before the end of the game. Are these real ‘fans’?

I agree I was sat at the back o& 126 too and there were half a dozen people around us stood up facing the back encouraging their mates to slap the roof panels. Live and let live, but think about other people around you.

My first game was back in the 60’s and I guess I have mellowed a little. I like people singing and showing passion. I thought the saints fans worked hard to get the team going yesterday... certainly worked harder than some of the players and kept going until the moment where the outcome was inevitable

One thing I noticed was that the language was significantly worse that at St Mary's. I've been to a lot of games this season (as well as the last 15/20 years) sitting all over the place and haven't witnessed anything as bad as yesterday. I was sat with my 8 year old son and ended up having to tell one fella in front of me to be aware that there were young kids around and he looked back at me like I'd just shat in his dinner!!!

You always have these problems at these big games when the fans are all mixed up. Some fans like to stand up, sing and swear, others like to sit in silence with their thermos and Tupperware- there is obviously going to be a conflict. It would make sense if the club nominated a certain few blocks for the boring, family types - it would make it a better experience for everyone.

There was a chap at the back of block 135 working himself into a rage and running around screaming "c-unt!" at the rest of the crowd for not singing enough.

It makes you wonder what sort of repression these people carry with them in everyday life that they become so enraged when their outlet is perceived as slightly sub-optimal.

Some of those old codgers, like my mother have held season tickets for over 50 years. Your lack of respect is disgusting.

I have nothing against old codgers. Some of my best friends are old codgers.

I was in block 133 and **** me, we had some planks in there. Load of aggro going on with some Baldy bloke and other Saints fans, went on for ages. They even missed Austin hitting the post, they were arguing so much. The other blokes & a bird were trying to get at baldy, and abusing him, there were also punches thrown. Someone said baldy was Chelsea , but he clearly wasn’t as he had a Saints shirt on, and also kept shouting how he was there in ‘76. I don’t know what baldy did or said, but it must have touched a nerve as the others were clearly raging.

There was also a bloke called Ian (he’s mate told me his name on the way out). God, what a pain. ****ed as a rat, just shouting non stop abuse at the players, our players mainly. I thought it was a Harry Enfield character, “Cedric, you Portuguese ponce”, “oh, Yoshida, you Japanese way anchor”. He did have everyone laughing when he shouted “fight for the shirt lemina, you Italian poof”. Luckily he ****ed off way before half time and came back way after. It took him about 10 mins to realised we were 1 down after his halftime visit to the bar. As I left he was at the front of the block, flicking up two V signs shouting “don’t come over here you ****ing ****s”, “**** off” and other words of wisdom. Bizarre , does anyone know him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in block 133 and **** me, we had some planks in there. Load of aggro going on with some Baldy bloke and other Saints fans, went on for ages. They even missed Austin hitting the post, they were arguing so much. The other blokes & a bird were trying to get at baldy, and abusing him, there were also punches thrown. Someone said baldy was Chelsea , but he clearly wasn’t as he had a Saints shirt on, and also kept shouting how he was there in ‘76. I don’t know what baldy did or said, but it must have touched a nerve as the others were clearly raging.

There was also a bloke called Ian (he’s mate told me his name on the way out). God, what a pain. ****ed as a rat, just shouting non stop abuse at the players, our players mainly. I thought it was a Harry Enfield character, “Cedric, you Portuguese ponce”, “oh, Yoshida, you Japanese way anchor”. He did have everyone laughing when he shouted “fight for the shirt lemina, you Italian poof”. Luckily he ****ed off way before half time and came back way after. It took him about 10 mins to realised we were 1 down after his halftime visit to the bar. As I left he was at the front of the block, flicking up two V signs shouting “don’t come over here you ****ing ****s”, “**** off” and other words of wisdom. Bizarre , does anyone know him?

Yeah I saw all of that too, at the time it was more entertaining than what was on the pitch.

What makes it worse, those fans with connections to the club along with most connected journo and pundits like Matt ale Tiss have all been very quiet this season when it was clear a long time ago that we were in the shyt

MLT would ridicule saints fans on twitter who said we were in deep trouble earlier in the season.

Likes of Nick Illingsworth - who usually have plenty to say - actually go to lengths to tell us the positives of this set up..

Blackmore remained in the fence for a while but has clearly come off but has clearly left Leitch getting splinters

Merrington is about the only pundit who has been saying what was obvious

1/ The impotent, sterile and tedious playing style these past two seasons.

2/ The blatant transparency of players using our club as a stepping stone, with us fans paying a high price to finance these mercenary prima-donnas.

3/ The ridiculous, embarrassing and ultimately meaningless PR claptrap epitomised by that cringe-worthy 'My Way' song.

Is it really any wonder our fans have become jaded?

Why isn't that enough for you, why are ****s like you so intolerant of other people. Why shouldn't excited seven years old with face paint go and old people who have supported the club longer than you go and families go or single mums with their boys or foreign interested fans. You must have a serious self esteem issue if you are that embarrassed by it.

All those people make up our support and have done for years with out them you would be rattling around wembley . We get these posts after every big match Saints aren't changing we are never going to be a seething mass of ****ed up semi aggressive laddom, we are what we are.

The thing I would like to know is what percentage of new fans do people really think we've got, you know the numbers that are ruining it for the real fans, the ones that buy all the tickets first stopping the true hard core from buying tickets, what is it 50%, 25%? People go on about this all the time now they must have a figure, so what is it. I would say about 1?

Do you always get irate and self righteous without reading what's written or do you just save it for football forums? Because if you'd read what i wrote you'd see that later on i said i had the utmost respect for older fans, and nowhere did i slag off nippers.

It's the weirdo adults that turn up in jester hands, half half scarves, foam hands and facepaint, who spend their whole time recording the game on their phone and taking group selfies before sitting in silence, then clapping off a team for losing that get to me.

But you know, you carry on with your angry imagination, it's no skin off my nose.

Baldy bloke and his son were slagging the players off and started abusing people when they were told to shut up and support the team.

No punches were thrown.

The girl was trying to calm people down/diffuse the situation.

What makes it worse, those fans with connections to the club along with most connected journo and pundits like Matt ale Tiss have all been very quiet this season when it was clear a long time ago that we were in the shyt

MLT would ridicule saints fans on twitter who said we were in deep trouble earlier in the season.

Likes of Nick Illingsworth - who usually have plenty to say - actually go to lengths to tell us the positives of this set up..

Blackmore remained in the fence for a while but has clearly come off but has clearly left Leitch getting splinters

Merrington is about the only pundit who has been saying what was obvious

is it actually worse than a so call fan saying he cant be bothered to see his (so called) team play in an FA Cup semi final because he can save £50 on a ticket and watch it on TV?

This thread is shocking. Get a look at yourselves ffs.

We are all saints fans, and wherever you fall on that spectrum I'm sure there are other fans that annoy you... But we are all Saints fans! Its a shared journey of suffering, occasional highs, and regular disappointment!! You want to hate someone, look to Liverpool, West Ham, Pompey etc. Not ourselves.

Our fans weren't THAT bad. Especially considering the circumstances.

I purposely got a ticket behind the goal knowing it will be for people who want to stand. Which they did. But so many moaners. Bloke next to me was having a right go at the row in front for standing. Yet there were 10 rows in front of them standing. Asked him where he usually sits at SMS. Kingsland. Obviously.

Noticed a block over the stewards were constantly getting people to sit down for the full 90 mins. Had video cameras in peoples faces and everything.

I'm sure at the League Cup Final people unofficially organised that those who usually sing and stand would group together in certain blocks. Didn't seem to happen this time which had a negative affect.

Noticed the whole Chelsea end was sat down and very quiet.

I made the mistake of getting tickets right at the back (assuming we would sell out), and found myself surrounded by thousands of empty seats. Honestly it felt like being at a League 1 game rather than an FA Cup semi-final. When I think back to the 2003 semi at Villa Park and how crap and apathetic our support is now in comparison it's quite depressing. You know you're bad when you're outsung by Chelsea. Anyway next time we field a weakened team in the cup I hope there's no bleating about it on here. Why should the club care when clearly a lot of the fans don't.

I didn't think the atmosphere was too bad all things considered. The first half was dull, and we were sitting right up at the back of the lower level so not much noise from behind.

Maybe those who were disappointed were spread out amongst other less vocal supporters. If you normally go and sing in a 'choir' then the noise is not going to be as loud as normal but the total sound made won't be much different and down on the pitch they won't even have noticed. Some of the players didn't even wake up until the second half anyway.

I made the mistake of getting tickets right at the back (assuming we would sell out), and found myself surrounded by thousands of empty seats. Honestly it felt like being at a League 1 game rather than an FA Cup semi-final. When I think back to the 2003 semi at Villa Park and how crap and apathetic our support is now in comparison it's quite depressing. You know you're bad when you're outsung by Chelsea. Anyway next time we field a weakened team in the cup I hope there's no bleating about it on here. Why should the club care when clearly a lot of the fans don't.
but a lot of fans wanted to go,it was down to tickets only being sold one each to members. The club for some reason didn't seem to want to make us sell out

Baldy bloke and his son were slagging the players off and started abusing people when they were told to shut up and support the team.

No punches were thrown.

The girl was trying to calm people down/diffuse the situation.

Ok thanks, I did wonder what Baldy did to upset everyone like that. Strange that nobody said anything to that Ian bloke, because he was near enough to Baldy to be heard, and he was shouting abuse at the players non stop. Hands up, I didn’t want to get involved because he did seem wired and I was with my lad and didn’t want things to escalate , maybe others felt the same. Did you see the bloke I’m on about?

I was up on Level 5 level with the 18-yard box and it seemed quite full. It wasn't until I got home and watched a bit on the TV that I saw the vast empty spaces higher up.

Yes' it's been a crap season but I'm surprised that more people didn't take the chance to see Saints play at Wembley. It might not happen again for a while.

I was the bloke in block 534 with my lad...! :D I don't get too worked up about other fans to be quite honest - each to their own. We moved once the game started and basically sat in a bloody empty bowl, but still had a good day. As for the older generation - I love 'em, (probably because I'm pretty much there myself) life blood of the club.

I remember the West Brom tie - me and the boy were sat about 3 rows from the back and this really old geezer and his missus came up and were sat right on the back row with blankets over their lap. Him with his binos and her with her walking stick, what can you do - you can only admire their dedication to the club. Top supporters.

The only 'fans' that I don't particularly like are the keyboard warriors on here who constantly do little but whinge about all and sundry, yet rarely if ever, seem to actually go to games. Personally, I had a good day out on Sunday, it's been a cr@p season but I think we need to be tolerant of each other as Saints fans.

I have nothing against old codgers. Some of my best friends are old codgers.

Think him and his mate were kicked out cos the old codgers around them were making such a fuss.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that the old codgers had no right to complain about people in front of them standing. Clearly I misunderstood you.

You know you're bad when you're outsung by Chelsea.

That didn't happen though. Stood behind the goal, I hardly heard them. Watched the game back on TV and apart from instantly after their goals and one song about Tottenham, they were silent. Even when the Wembley PA system played their singalong songs, they didn't join in.

Genuine question, do people actually think lots of tourists go to Saints games for a day out?

I have two anecdotes on that score from the last couple of years.

One was a sales rep at work who told me he had purchased a membership for saints but admitted to me he wasn't a saints fan he just liked to watch live PL football and see a few goals didn't matter which team scored them.

The other was a couple of blokes with their kids on the train coming back from a game during the Puel season. One was telling his mate how he liked to take his boys to see saints play as it was the local PL team but he was Leeds utd fan. He then went on to tell his mate the best game he had seen that season was Man City at SMS and,went on to wax lyrical about how great Man City where.

So yes I do believe there is a portion of the SMS crowd that come just to watch live PL football and dont really care who's playing. How big the percentage is I couldn't say but they are there.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that the old codgers had no right to complain about people in front of them standing. Clearly I misunderstood you.

I am not like a few who seem to hope for Stone Island lads only. I used this be more impressionable but our fans are what they are. I have no problem with that. Trying to get someone kicked out for standing is another thing though.

I haven’t sat at Wembley at JPT, last years final or for Spurs league game. Was weird so many sitting down yesterday.

Genuine question, do people actually think lots of tourists go to Saints games for a day out?

There are some but I would guess only a very small number. I worked with a chap who was a season ticket holder before we got relegated back in 2005. He didn't support any particular club and didn't claim to be a Saints fan but wanted to watch premier league football. When we to relegated he switched to Reading as they were still in the premier league.

This thread is shocking. Get a look at yourselves ffs.

We are all saints fans, and wherever you fall on that spectrum I'm sure there are other fans that annoy you... But we are all Saints fans! Its a shared journey of suffering, occasional highs, and regular disappointment!! You want to hate someone, look to Liverpool, West Ham, Pompey etc. Not ourselves.

Agree with this whole heartedly. Get behind the team not mater what, no matter who you are.! We all have a place in the support hierarchy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely. As a ST holder in Itchen Block 2 I can assure you we get 20-50 (depending on opposition) asians at home games half of them filming the entire match on phones or iPads. It's absolutely surreal. Clearly the club have done a deal with a tour operator for that part of that ground (rear of block 3 mainly). Of all the areas I do find it strange that they whack them next to a large element of what the police would call our "risk supporters"? Anyway, in answer to your question yes, at SMS absolutely. Away games obviously not.

Do you always get irate and self righteous without reading what's written or do you just save it for football forums? Because if you'd read what i wrote you'd see that later on i said i had the utmost respect for older fans, and nowhere did i slag off nippers.

It's the weirdo adults that turn up in jester hands, half half scarves, foam hands and facepaint, who spend their whole time recording the game on their phone and taking group selfies before sitting in silence, then clapping off a team for losing that get to me.

But you know, you carry on with your angry imagination, it's no skin off my nose.

You said you had a good time so why get so worked up because some bloke wants to wear a jester hat or wants to film it. You call me angry but you're the one on a message board moaning that our fans are an embarrassment, what is it you want the fans to be like?

I have two anecdotes on that score from the last couple of years.

One was a sales rep at work who told me he had purchased a membership for saints but admitted to me he wasn't a saints fan he just liked to watch live PL football and see a few goals didn't matter which team scored them.

The other was a couple of blokes with their kids on the train coming back from a game during the Puel season. One was telling his mate how he liked to take his boys to see saints play as it was the local PL team but he was Leeds utd fan. He then went on to tell his mate the best game he had seen that season was Man City at SMS and,went on to wax lyrical about how great Man City where.

So yes I do believe there is a portion of the SMS crowd that come just to watch live PL football and dont really care who's playing. How big the percentage is I couldn't say but they are there.

I’ve got mates who are not Saints fans but go to St Mary’s, and Fratton when they were in the Prem. One is actually a Pompey fan but because his kids want to watch Premier League games he has to take them to see Saints which is **** funny.

I think real apathy has set in. Fans are just not ‘excited’ by the turd at SFC. It’s hard to get up for it for the odd game.

Reckon that might turn if we fail to beat Bournemouth.

The constant sale of our top players at a vast rate of knots for no real reason added with the dire football offered for 18 months has taken its toll.

this is the real reason for sure cant keep selling the crown jewles so to speake.

I’ve got mates who are not Saints fans but go to St Mary’s, and Fratton when they were in the Prem. One is actually a Pompey fan but because his kids want to watch Premier League games he has to take them to see Saints which is **** funny.

I like to think I'm a good dad and my boy pretty much gets what he wants (within reason obviously) but there isn't a chance in hell of me ever taking him to fratton park! :lol:

You said you had a good time so why get so worked up because some bloke wants to wear a jester hat or wants to film it. You call me angry but you're the one on a message board moaning that our fans are an embarrassment, what is it you want the fans to be like?

Not like a bunch of weirdos who are well over 40 who act like they're 12 years old, and who probably need their hard drive checking, I imagine.

After every big game, you're going to get some fans whingeing on here because everybody else didn't look like them, dress like them and behave exactly like them. They're always going to be disappointed because that's never going to happen as this isn't North Korea. The random seating arrangments at Wembley inevitably throw people together who wouldn't normally choose to be. When the game goes well, nobody minds; when it goes badly, these little things seem to irritate some people.

To my right there were 2 drunk chaps in their 20s, who started, 'Stand up if you love the Saints' half a dozen times: a bit like people who are desperate to start Mexican waves at cricket. Then, when that didn't work, one of them shouted 'Get into them' while the other one replied 'F--k them up' for much of the 2nd half. Then to my left there was a 30 something husband and wife with their 6-year-old son, who sat quietly throughout the game and then there a few like me, who joined in some songs, sat for much of the game and stood up when everybody else stood up. I even heard someone near me mention popcorn, although I didn't take a photograph of them. None of them bothered me. They were all enjoying the game in their own way. Life would be boring if we were all the same - ask the North Koreans.

I was sitting right next to the Chelsea fans and they did not outsing us at all. Even when we were losing we were the ones doing all the singing.

Don't get me wrong they were pretty poor as well but apart from a couple of renditions of OWTS we were virtually silent. The atmosphere on the whole was just very flat and combined with our masses of empty seats I thought our support was embarrassing tbh.

Absolutely, at the back of the Kingsland North it's becoming an increasingly regular occurance to be surrounded by Chinese.