Our fans

whelk

The strangest thing for me is this excuse of needing excitement on the pitch in order to vocalise support. For one, that never used to be the case as a Saints fan. If you enjoy chanting then why wait for a supposedly suitable juncture? And if the team is struggling/toiling, that's the perfect time to attempt to lift them!

I respect everybody's choice to support how they please and claim no superiority - I'm merely questioning the logic. It's possible too that I'm simply becoming a relic (though being in my early 30s it'd seem odd for that to be the case). But simply put if footballing fanbases can't (in the main) rouse themselves for a FA Cup semi-final then - for my money - a significant appeal of matchday attendance has seeped from the game.

The other thing normally said at this point is "well if you don't like it, get it going by making some noise yourself".

I do. I did. Not expletive-filled songs. Nothing P*mpey-focused. Normal, well-known examples of the Saints oeuvre. Yet some of the looks I got for piping up...

Don't get me wrong they were pretty poor as well but apart from a couple of renditions of OWTS we were virtually silent. The atmosphere on the whole was just very flat and combined with our masses of empty seats I thought our support was embarrassing tbh.

Absolutely, at the back of the Kingsland North it's becoming an increasingly regular occurance to be surrounded by Chinese.

I don't think the overseas visitors is a problem though, people are still spending money on the club regardless of where they are from. Nobody objected to the Feyenoord or Gronigen fans at SMS when we were doing well under Koeman? In fact we quite enjoyed having them.

This is only an issue because the standard of football and level of apathy from the club's leadership, management and players is pathetic, and has spread to the fans which is hardly a surprise. If the new owner is able to invest in Saints, sacks Reed, Wilson and Kreuger before the end of the season, and gives Hughes a DoF who has energy and interest, the mood could soon swing back. Personally doubtful about that, but happy to be proven wrong. Then no-one will care who is watching games and where they are from.