Our fans

whelk

Seemed like loads were sitting down today - what’s the matter with them? And one lad was getting pelters for not sitting. Think him and his mate were kicked out cos the old codgers around them were making such a fuss.

And I know confidence at a low ebb but those empty seats - shockingly sh1t

I think real apathy has set in. Fans are just not ‘excited’ by the turd at SFC. It’s hard to get up for it for the odd game.

Reckon that might turn if we fail to beat Bournemouth.

The constant sale of our top players at a vast rate of knots for no real reason added with the dire football offered for 18 months has taken its toll.

Lots of faces from Itchen North in my block who’ve supported the club through thick and thin and are typically very vocal. Many weren’t up for the game today. Not your usual lads-old codgers split in terms of support (or lack of it).

the support was very flat. We had 2 lads by us who were trying to get the fans singing up high in the stand, but we couldn't get them going.

We all went with low expectations and were just waiting for the death knell it seemed.

We need to make the B'mouth game as hostile as possible, I know its hard as it will be like being nasty to our favourite aunt but needs be on this occasion

I think real apathy has set in. Fans are just not ‘excited’ by the turd at SFC. It’s hard to get up for it for the odd game.

The constant sale of our top players at a vast rate of knots for no real reason added with the dire football offered for 18 months has taken its toll.

It felt to me like 2 sets of apathetic fans who were apathetic for completely different reasons. An F.A Cup semi final is all a bit routine for Chelsea fans to get excited over and we seem to have collectively accepted our fate to the extent that when the first goal went in and the commentator announced it to the fairly full concourse I was on barely an eyebrow was raised. "Oh well, the inevitable has happened. Whatever".

The board and owners have alienated the fanbase to an extent I can't recall since the Branfoot era,when there were also fan boycotts. I went today, hoping we'd pull off a miracle but realistically expecting us to lose. Considering the current shambolic state the club and team are in, I thought those of us who turned up gave decent support, although I was in the lower tier, which was full. It wasn't up to the League Cup Final standard but we didn't have any goals to cheer and it was only when we scored in the final that the support really took off. Our support was the least of our problems today. Even the most loyal of fans needs something to cheer occasionally, like a goal or better still, a win or even the hope of a win.

I was towards the back of 130 and as the whistle blew everyone in front of me sat down. Everyone. It was all OAPs and families. The atmosphere was sh_it, It was only the last few rows that stood up.

They sat there pathetically quiet. Not a ******* peep out of them.

One of the few positives of relegation will be the casting off of "premier league" fans leaving the louder, standing up fans to go to away games.

To be honest I’m more worried about the team not the fans. I don’t think many of our fans are on £50k per week and none were more pathetic today than Lemina ambling back from forward play with only minutes to go.

To be honest I’m more worried about the team not the fans. I don’t think many of our fans are on £50k per week and none were more pathetic today than Lemina ambling back from forward play with only minutes to go.

To be fair, Gabbiadini was and he'd only been on the pitch a few minutes.

Seemed like loads were sitting down today - what’s the matter with them? And one lad was getting pelters for not sitting. Think him and his mate were kicked out cos the old codgers around them were making such a fuss.

I dont what you expected mate? I've not been to loads of semis but you know, I really wasn't arsed about it, should have stayed at home. It's a **** ground, playing against a top six side and the referee, we are **** at football, the players have gone missing and Mark Hughes plays two up front and 9 at the back.

Whats the ****ing of it at the moment?

I dont what you expected mate? I've not been to loads of semis but you know, I really wasn't arsed about it, should have stayed at home. It's a **** ground, playing against a top six side and the referee, we are **** at football, the players have gone missing and Mark Hughes plays two up front and 9 at the back.

Whats the ****ing of it at the moment?

Pretty much sums it up for me that. It wasn't the worst atmosphere i've ever experienced, and most round me stood, but we were all pretty resigned to losing before the game and just felt like we had to get it out the way of when we got there.

Like VFFT says going down will clear out some of the new fan types that've latched on since promotion and hopefully we can get a bit of soul back to the club,

In general though our support is an embarrassment, so many facepaint and selfie fans, and generally speaking i tend to avoid a lot of them if i can.

That said i had beer with my mates, met a few folk i'd chatted to for a while but hadn't met properly, and had a decent day out, which is the point of football.

Is that why you didn’t go?

I was towards the back of 130 and as the whistle blew everyone in front of me sat down. Everyone. It was all OAPs and families. The atmosphere was sh_it, It was only the last few rows that stood up.

One of the few positives of relegation will be the casting off of "premier league" fans leaving the louder, standing up fans to go to away games.

I hate judgmental ****s like you with your super fandom. All OAPs ans families? OAPs that probably have followed the club for years. Families can’t be fans of a club? What makes you think relegation will stop owls people and families supporting team?

What a cock you are.

I hate judgmental ****s like you with your super fandom. All OAPs ans families? OAPs that probably have followed the club for years. Families can’t be fans of a club? What makes you think relegation will stop owls people and families supporting team?

What a cock you are.

Agree. People have a short memory of L1 and the championship. Clearly we’ll shed certain types of fans and good riddance; but OAPs and families? The thermos and brigade are a basic element of our support, reflecting the culture and demographics of the city and club. If anything, they form a larger proportion of our support that does midweek away games. I have nothing against them whatsoever.

Agree. People have a short memory of L1 and the championship. Clearly we’ll shed certain types of fans and good riddance; but OAPs and families? The thermos and brigade are a basic element of our support, reflecting the culture and demographics of the city and club. If anything, they form a larger proportion of our support that does midweek away games. I have nothing against them whatsoever.

I have nothing but respect for the OAP's still watching Saiints, they've seen and been through far more than we have, and are the cornerstone of our club, That said i'm not sure VFFT was taking a pop at them or families, more at a kind of fan that've turned up since we got promoted.

I have nothing but respect for the OAP's still watching Saiints, they've seen and been through far more than we have, and are the cornerstone of our club, That said i'm not sure VFFT was taking a pop at them or families, more at a kind of fan that've turned up since we got promoted.

As an OAP myself I say “thank you”, the feeling is mutual[emoji4]

Let’s not forget that some of these OAPs take their grandchildren to games and these grandchildren will one day be OAPs themselves.

As an OAP myself I say “thank you”, the feeling is mutual[emoji4]

Let’s not forget that some of these OAPs take their grandchildren to games and these grandchildren will one day be OAPs themselves.

I'm fourth generation Saints, an whilst sadly two of those weren't there today i still had three generations represented. The truth is i aspire to being an OAP (no offence meant) at Saints, and love the history that comes with having those people there.

Oh behold the super fan. Just like the author of this thread you are a right pair of ****s, came across a few of you today. If I want to sit, I sit, I don’t stand just because someone bloody sings a song to get you up. I was there with my kids 10 and 8, if people stand they can’t see and when tickets cost £55/65 you want them to see. Don’t think I’ll be cast off with relegation either, been a season ticket holder since 1990, my father in law in his 70s with dodgy knees also there today unable to stand has been a season ticket holder since the 70s or longer. Don’t be such a judgmental cock in future just because some of us bow down to your way of thinking.

went today with my 24 year old daughter and my 82 year old father, these days its quite an effort for dad to get to the grounds , and yes he stands for 90 mins in the Northam , but I guess he's not welcome as he's not the right type of fan! reckon when I tell him there will be some choice language!

we all go and support in our own way , and long may that continue

Edited by ringwood
sp

Oh behold the super fan. Just like the author of this thread you are a right pair of ****s, came across a few of you today. If I want to sit, I sit, I don’t stand just because someone bloody sings a song to get you up. I was there with my kids 10 and 8, if people stand they can’t see and when tickets cost £55/65 you want them to see. Don’t think I’ll be cast off with relegation either, been a season ticket holder since 1990, my father in law in his 70s with dodgy knees also there today unable to stand has been a season ticket holder since the 70s or longer. Don’t be such a judgmental cock in future just because some of us bow down to your way of thinking.

I agree except for one thing. I (68) was there with my grandson (15) and our tickets cost £70 each. Our coach arrived at 10:30 and after nearly four hours of walking around I appreciated a chance to sit down.

What is it about standing up? We were at the back of 126 and there were several individuals around who had no idea that there was a football match going on. They were too busy going for a píss, coming back from a píss, looking for their mates, standing up and looking for their mates, banging the roof panels above them. I don’t think they watched the game once.

And another thing. They were the first to leave before the end of the game. Are these real ‘fans’?

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Paid £70 for ticket lady years league cup final, thought view was rubbish so went cheaper this time. It was a lot better.

I checked and our tickets were a nominal £70.

Yes, last year we were up in the gods and had a better view but I wanted to be lower down and nearer the pitch but in row 43 at the top of the lower tier we were the corporates were overhanging us and there was a TV structure blocking our view of the Saints fans behind the goal. We could see the whole pitch (unless somebody stood up) but couldn’t get a sweeping panoramic view of the whole arena.

Before kickoff I went to choose our seats for a The Final but the lower you got you didn’t seem to get any closer to the action. I’d been to the old Wembley on many occasions since the mid 1960s and the views were much better.

Poor atmosphere but poor negative play from the start. What is wrong with attacking teams? Since Koeman has left when have we attcked a team? Another shocking performance and an absolute waste of money.

We haven't had a really solid defence since Koeman left. Starting with Puel after the VVD injury and the Fonte debacle more and more the managers have tried to play in ways that protect a dodgy back four and keeper because anytime we attack teams we concede.

Pretty much sums it up for me that. It wasn't the worst atmosphere i've ever experienced, and most round me stood, but we were all pretty resigned to losing before the game and just felt like we had to get it out the way of when we got there.

Like VFFT says going down will clear out some of the new fan types that've latched on since promotion and hopefully we can get a bit of soul back to the club,

In general though our support is an embarrassment, so many facepaint and selfie fans, and generally speaking i tend to avoid a lot of them if i can.

That said i had beer with my mates, met a few folk i'd chatted to for a while but hadn't met properly, and had a decent day out, which is the point of football.

Why isn't that enough for you, why are ****s like you so intolerant of other people. Why shouldn't excited seven years old with face paint go and old people who have supported the club longer than you go and families go or single mums with their boys or foreign interested fans. You must have a serious self esteem issue if you are that embarrassed by it.

All those people make up our support and have done for years with out them you would be rattling around wembley . We get these posts after every big match Saints aren't changing we are never going to be a seething mass of ****ed up semi aggressive laddom, we are what we are.

The thing I would like to know is what percentage of new fans do people really think we've got, you know the numbers that are ruining it for the real fans, the ones that buy all the tickets first stopping the true hard core from buying tickets, what is it 50%, 25%? People go on about this all the time now they must have a figure, so what is it. I would say about 1?

I didn't explain myself to well. I had/or have, no issues with the OAPs, not being a spring chicken myself, nor families, as I've been taking my nipper since he was 5, my issue was with how passive they were. Perhaps as Shurlock alluded to, so many have been so jaded by the season that they were simply going through the motions.

Regardless, I had no intention of insulting the old or the young and I apologise for that and the way my post reads as that wasn't the intention, it was poorly worded.

People say how good the Palace fans are singing all match but if you look at them you will see that they are busy singing the same chants while moving around in formation etc and not watching the game most of the time , like wise ManU fans too busy jumping around if they are winning also not watching the football. Fans pay their money and can watch how they like . Standing is another issue , I would like to see safe standing for those who want that but I want to see the game not the back of other fans who seem to want to take issue with the stewards all match rather than watch the football . Anyway if Saints were winning most matches people wouldn't be moaning about all and sundry and more fans would be cheering , leaping about etc !

What a ridiculous statement. Some of the old codgers you refer to find it difficult to stand and that is why we do wish our enjoyment to be spoilt with attitudes like yours. We like the Saints as much as you do but please give some thought before making comments like that.

Some of those old codgers, like my mother have held season tickets for over 50 years. Your lack of respect is disgusting.

Thought it was a pretty good effort, better than the Chelsea fans, although they are one of the worst in the Prem.

It's not a surprise things are a bit flat in the stands due to the consistent ****e served up on the pitch and in the boardroom for the last 18 months.

The middle aged (and OAPs) like me once would have been snarling, chanting hoodlums packed like sardines in the steel-fenced pens and cages at the Dell confronting the opposition fans in the heady days of the 70s and 80s.

You won't find us licking our mobile screens all game like the fuc king tourists who won't be here next season..

Edited by adrian lord
typo

That and not paying £200 to watch a game that is on telly

That's the spirit!

People pay a fortune for a seat then complain when people sit? As a codger myself I dont see the problem in watching a football match sitting down. Isnt that what you are supposed to do in an all seater stadia? It was brought in as a safety measure. If you stand up and you are pushed over a seat you can do yourself a great deal of damage so what is supposed to make you safer doesnt if people insist on standing.

People say how good the Palace fans are singing all match but if you look at them you will see that they are busy singing the same chants while moving around in formation etc and not watching the game most of the time , like wise ManU fans too busy jumping around if they are winning also not watching the football. Fans pay their money and can watch how they like . Standing is another issue , I would like to see safe standing for those who want that but I want to see the game not the back of other fans who seem to want to take issue with the stewards all match rather than watch the football . Anyway if Saints were winning most matches people wouldn't be moaning about all and sundry and more fans would be cheering , leaping about etc !

You mention Palace and ManUre. I was reading only yesterday about how good ManUre support was against Spuds on Saturday (which it was). They put it down to the club learning from what Palace had done at Wembley, i.e ensuring when selling their Wembley tickets that certain blocks (lower tier behind goal) were allocated as singing section. Better atmosphere, no right to moan if people are standing but far to difficult for our club to implement (if they even though about it, which I doubt).

I think the fans should be the last people to have the finger pointed at them after the way they have been treated the last few years !

This is spot on. Its a two way street. The club from top to bottom seem totally out of touch with the fan base. The team gives virtually nothing to encourage a positive response from the fans. The fans can see the disjointed, non caring attitude of many overpaid and over rated journeymen who will be quickly kissing the badge of the next club that offer them unjustified riches.

Any "team" in business and sport needs the right blend of ownership, management and staff. Sadly Saints seem to have sleep walked into a situation where they all seem to be falling short in so many ways.

The only hope that relegation can filter out many of these non performers and by luck or judgement they are replaced by committed "workers" which is what the Championship needs.

The middle aged (and OAPs) like me once would have been snarling, chanting hoodlums packed like sardines in the steel-fenced pens and cages at the Dell confronting the opposition fans in the heady days of the 70s and 80s.

You won't find us licking our mobile screens all game like the fuc king tourists who won't be here next season..

Exactly, I was bemused as I saw loads of fans walking out after the 2nd goal, and a lot of them were Chelsea fans!!!!

We all were young once, and we have done our miles ok I'm not OAP yet but it is pretty sad to have young fans moaning at the older ones. Perhaps if they actually got the singing going we might join in.

You mention Palace and ManUre. I was reading only yesterday about how good ManUre support was against Spuds on Saturday (which it was). They put it down to the club learning from what Palace had done at Wembley, i.e ensuring when selling their Wembley tickets that certain blocks (lower tier behind goal) were allocated as singing section. Better atmosphere, no right to moan if people are standing but far to difficult for our club to implement (if they even though about it, which I doubt).

Good point, but Man Utd have had a lot more practice at selling tickets for Wembley than we have ;)

Or maybe our second visit in two years meant that we were a bit more blasé about it.

To be honest I thought the atmosphere was ok yesterday, we seemed to create a bit of noise in the second half. It looked to me like most were standing behind the goal. It is possible to sing whilst being seated by the way.

Thought our support was incredibly flat. I was behind the goal in an all standing block, find it strange so many middle aged couples decided to get tickets in an area which, for me anyway, is obviously going to be an all standing/ singing area.

Personally find it strange how such a large section of our fan base (not just now, but before when we were playing exciting/ high tempo football) that seem to go out of their way to actively avoid getting involved in the game via vocal support/ intimidation (both have an effect on the game in their own way)? Seriously it's harder to do that than actually get behind the lads surely? The lino in the second half should have had the worst 45 minutes of his life from thousands of nasty, snarling ****'s in that part of the ground but no, instead there was nothing but sat down apathy.

It's not just Saints, but football in general. It's great that these days we have a environment that encourages families/ middle aged couples to attend football, the prices to attend games in the Premier League exclude the traditional, working class support from a working class Port city like Southampton, instead families from the outer areas/ middle aged couples from Andover/ Winchester/ Dorset can go and see Premier League football. This has meant that the atmosphere at football has suffered. Apart from a handful of Premier League clubs like Palace, United (by miles the most vocal away support in England), Chelsea and Spurs the atmosphere if flat for the same reasons it's flat at Saints games. Older, more well heeled support that don't want to get involved with the game, merely spectate. These fans have always been at the games, just that now they make a much bigger % of match going support.

My 2c worth.

To be honest I thought the atmosphere was ok yesterday, we seemed to create a bit of noise in the second half. It looked to me like most were standing behind the goal. It is possible to sing whilst being seated by the way.

I didn't think the atmosphere was too bad either, even though I was on the top tier with loads of empty seats around me but there were quite a few vocal fans up there. The problem at Wembley is that the vocal groups are split all around so it can be hard to get a coordinated chant going other than a few rounds of OWTS.

I am not a keen stand up-er but there were some pointless arguments near me between a couple of small groups who wanted to stand and the stewards trying to get them to sit. There were masses of empty rows behind them - and even if someone was sat there, they could easily haved moved seats.