Radio Solent Post Match Dissection

SuperSAINT

For the first time ever, there is not one player who I give a toss about leaving. The chemistry in the squad is all wrong - mass clearout required whatever division we are in.

I don't know I quite like the idea of seeing what Sims, McQueen and Gallagher could do with regular game time in our squad.

For the first time ever, there is not one player who I give a toss about leaving. The chemistry in the squad is all wrong - mass clearout required whatever division we are in.

Yes, it is a very sad feeling for a fan but I feel something similar. Is it really the players fault or have they been so badly managed that they have no spirit and no personality and no appeal. I would keep Yoshida and JWP and build the club around them and also round PEH if he is willing to stay.

Yes, it is a very sad feeling for a fan but I feel something similar. Is it really the players fault or have they been so badly managed that they have no spirit and no personality and no appeal. I would keep Yoshida and JWP and build the club around them and also round PEH if he is willing to stay.

Tadic has been trying and is actually a good player if he is allowed to attack. PEH, JWP, Bedanek, Long are all decent players. And Davis tries but is past his peak now. We've just had a ****e manager and a ****e board for two seasons and it has killed the team.

Its too easy to criticise all our attacking players when in reality the tactics since Koeman have been shockingly defensive.

Listened to the end of it now. They are not pulling their punches. Blame well and trully laid on Leslie 'fat balding T-stain' Reed.... and all openly saying he needs to go now and his replacement needs to be sorted out or its another summer of drift.

Edited by Saint86

Reed, Ralph and Kat really have done the club in big time. Not got a good feeling about what might follow. Let’s hope our fears about Gao don’t materialise and they can rebuild with some energy in the club coming back on and off the pitch. Not betting on it though

Tadic has been trying and is actually a good player if he is allowed to attack. PEH, JWP, Bedanek, Long are all decent players. And Davis tries but is past his peak now. We've just had a ****e manager and a ****e board for two seasons and it has killed the team.

Its too easy to criticise all our attacking players when in reality the tactics since Koeman have been shockingly defensive.

Listened to the end of it now. They are not pulling their punches. Blame well and trully laid on Leslie 'fat balding T-stain' Reed.... and all openly saying he needs to go now and his replacement needs to be sorted out or its another summer of drift.

Its all to easy to keeping blaming the manager rather than the players three different managers in 18 months no improvement from the players. It's about time people stopped making excuses for the players and started excepting we have a very average team.

Irony for some of these players is that some of them will never see top flight football again. Like 2005. How many of this current squad are genuine PL players? Romeu? The full backs? Lemina on his day? I can’t see more than half getting another PL club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irony for some of these players is that some of them will never see top flight football again. Like 2005. How many of this current squad are genuine PL players? Romeu? The full backs? Lemina on his day? I can’t see more than half getting another PL club

Tadic

Forster as a team will believe saints have ruined him

Austin for a punt

JwP maybe

And Reed and possibly Stephens.

Nope. Seen enough of Stephens and he didn't exactly boss it in League One, even. I'd get as much for him as we could. I'd keep the others though although I suspect that even though he has toughened up a bit Hesketh will be too lightweight for that league.

I'm surprised the five pledges weren't discussed. This is after all one of Ralphs biggest gambit to appease an unhappy fan base and right the wrongs of the last two years. After the disappoint of the semi final defeat and a must win game fast approaching now would be the perfect time for Ralph to release the pledges in a well timed shot in the arm to the club as a whole. Not only would it galvanise the beleaguered fan base it would not doubt inspire the players to go on the winning run needed to secure or status as a premier league club.

Nope. Seen enough of Stephens and he didn't exactly boss it in League One, even. I'd get as much for him as we could. I'd keep the others though although I suspect that even though he has toughened up a bit Hesketh will be too lightweight for that league.

Know for a fact Swindon fans raved about him, the full season he was on loan there they got to the playoff final too, so that is wrong I'm afraid. He's definitely good enough to play top end of the championship for me but needs a leader alongside him.

Know for a fact Swindon fans raved about him, the full season he was on loan there they got to the playoff final too, so that is wrong I'm afraid. He's definitely good enough to play top end of the championship for me but needs a leader alongside him.

I think that's the problem with all our current CBs. All of them might do a job with and experienced, beast of a CB playing alongside them but play any of the current lot together and it doesn't work. Our current CBs all seem quite good at bring the ball out from the back and comfortable with the ball at their feet but awful and picking up runs, heading the ball and leadership and organizing.

I think that's the problem with all our current CBs. All of them might do a job with and experienced, beast of a CB playing alongside them but play any of the current lot together and it doesn't work. Our current CBs all seem quite good at bring the ball out from the back and comfortable with the ball at their feet but awful and picking up runs, heading the ball and leadership and organizing.

but apart from being able to head, tackle, mark, organise and lead what other qualities does a good defender really need?

If I was another Premier club, I wouldn't be looking at any of this disinterested bunch to strengthen my squad. I would think hey what if this time next year we are struggling..............

I think its all very apparent about who needs to leave - they are easily identified. The real issue is who do we get in, who overseas the coming and going of players, who has the next five year plan.

It's obvious who needs to leave, but WTF do we get in to take us forwards?

I think its all very apparent about who needs to leave - they are easily identified. The real issue is who do we get in, who overseas the coming and going of players, who has the next five year plan.

It's obvious who needs to leave, but WTF do we get in to take us forwards?

Commanding CB and an RB capable of crossing and tracking back would be a start.

If we are in the Championship and can retain Austin, Prowse, Redmond, Targett, McQueen, Romeu, Højbjerg, Reed, Yoshida and Sims we may be on to a good thing. Think the hardest to retain out of that bunch will actually be Ward-Prowse. Could also see Austin being poached by Bournemouth (wouldn’t that be a watershed moment)....

This, the squad has no balance at all. I would be fairly happy with the likes of Alex McCarthy, Maya Yoshida, James Ward-Prowse and Matt Targett staying as well as the other young lads from the academy being given a chance to prove themselves as good enough. We do need a proper clear out whatever division we are in. We have signed some absolute rubbish the past couple of years.

Its all to easy to keeping blaming the manager rather than the players three different managers in 18 months no improvement from the players. It's about time people stopped making excuses for the players and started excepting we have a very average team.

The confidence is shot and the defence has been weakened to long past breaking point.

Whether or not there is a clear out from the top down remains to be seen but my feeling is that it will be necessary. Like him or loathe him, Cortese had ambition for the club and that pretty much disappeared when he left. Since then, we appear to have just reacted to events without any clear direction or destination in mind and it is unsurprising that this has been reflected on the field. I am sure Hughes will want to stay if we have the right vision and leadership. Time for Gao Ji Sheng to step up and exert some control.

Just listened to it. Merrington who has been all Winston Churchill all season “you need to look them in the eye, are they up for it, are you going to fight for the shirt”, now makes excuses for Boufal. Also talking Shiite saying that Fonte was still performing when we got rid, his West Ham form shows that isnonsense. I’d also suggest that before embarking on a discussion on staying up you find out how many points we’re from safety first. It’s 4 not 5 as stated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just listened to it. Merrington who has been all Winston Churchill all season “you need to look them in the eye, are they up for it, are you going to fight for the shirt”, now makes excuses for Boufal. Also talking Shiite saying that Fonte was still performing when we got rid, his West Ham form shows that isnonsense. I’d also suggest that before embarking on a discussion on staying up you find out how many points we’re from safety first. It’s 4 not 5 as stated.

I don't live in Hampshire and have been missing being able to listen to Solent football coverage. But Jesus, merrington talks a lot of ****e. Apparently the club let Fonte by not forcing him to stay!

I just listened to the whole piece and I can't agree with you on Dave Merrington's comments.

His point about Boufal was simply that he doesn't feel we have made the most of his talent (by sticking him out on the left, for example). He also acknowledged the fact that Redmond and Tadic are decent players but haven't done enough - though he believes Redmond could improve a lot if he was encouraged to be more direct. Maybe Boufal does have an attitude problem, but equally it doesn't seem like we have ever found a useful spot for him in the team.

As for Fonte, all he said was that he was the captain and a strong influence. We chose to get rid of him because we got offered a decent amount of money and (I guess) took the view his best days were probably behind him. Would he get in the team now though? I would prefer to say no, but realistically if he was fit I think he would be one of the first names on the team sheet, and also the captain. We haven't replaced him properly and we certainly haven't replaced van Dijk either.

We chose to get rid of him because we got offered a decent amount of money and (I guess) took the view his best days were probably behind him. Would he get in the team now though? I would prefer to say no, but realistically if he was fit I think he would be one of the first names on the team sheet, and also the captain.

There’s no probably about it, his best days were behind him. We saw how woeful he was at West Ham . I don’t think we choose to get rid, more he was pushing for a move, thinking he was going to Utd. Don’t think he’d make a blind bit of difference to our defensive woes if he was still here.

It’s incredibly easy for Waldorf & Saddler (Merrington & Blackmore) to moan on and on every week, aided and abetted by people texting in, most of whom have only listened to their biased commentary in the first place, because their sides never have to play. Their tactics, never get put to the test. The punditry is absolutely awful, and they can’t even get basic facts, like how many points from safety we are, right.