Radio Solent Post Match Dissection

SuperSAINT

That was a good balanced listen! Agree with Adam Leitch, there will be big changes afoot

Agree

Some good points made, especially the one for the club to sort out the Director of Football role first to ensure there is a clear view of strategy going forward, including appointment of a Manager for the Championship.

If this is delayed then the sale and recruitment of players is held up and this will affect the strength of the squad next year

Merirngton was a bit too polite about Carillo, and not sure I agree with his summary of Rodriguez, but otherwise thought he gave a decent response about the team.Also questions how players have been managed this season, Gabbiadini in particular.

Without naming him Reed gets some stick, Blackmore refers to "people above him" [Pellegrino].

Only listened to the first ten minutes though.

Good listen

Adam is right, we will be in a period of self inflicted mess if we don’t appointment a manager very soon after it is confirmed what division we will be in, given the obvious upheaval elsewhere around the club

You just know we will have a period of weeks with no manager now, it’s the Southampton way!!!

Also telling that they all say about Hughes being diplomatic and biting his tongue about the way things are currently being run along with the attitude of one or two players

So can we take it Hughes won't be hanging around after the end of the season then?

They generally think he would be interested in staying.

No quotes but that is the feel they have for the situation. Depends on Saints and the direction of the club and how serious they will be in going straight back up.

Oh, apparently it was Pellegrino who insisted last summer that we did not need any more strikers/forwards. This was despite Austin’s injury record and lack of pace up top after Rodriguez went.

Ironic that when we did need a striker, we get pellegrino’s immobile carthorse mate

Who will probably go down as our worst ever signing!

Edited by Batman

Well talking to somebody who gets some decent info, we are in the financial mire and why Rogers probably jumped ship, as he can see the writing on the wall. No doubt if it is true we will see very soon into the summer.

Why are we in the mire? Because of the Chinese? Because of relegation?

I think if we don’t have a manager in place by the end of May, it is going to be a tough summer as we start off on the back foot

This is part of the reason Les Reed needs to go. We are always so very very slow bringing in players and thats why we lose out on them. Same with managers. Look at how long they farted about getting rid of Puel when virtually everyone knew he was going. Same with Pellagrino.

We simply cannot afford to wait around after 13 May whatever happens, as they said on Solent.

I think Roger's went because he disagreed with the choice of new owner - he left by mutual consent with a pay-off and a compromise agreement I am guessing.

Didn't he vote for the change in Ownership rules and fit and proper test which mean Gao could not become our owner if he tried to buy us now? I don't think Kat, Krueger or Gao would have liked that. And I can easily see Rogers falling out with Reed too.

As for being in the financial mire - relegation will change everything - but if you ignored that for now I don't see how we could be really - with our current TV money and transfer profits.

If you mean the new owner will squeeze everything he can out of the club to pay back the loan - share buybacks, consultancy fees, high dividends - that's a different matter and you could be right. But it does beg the question why did he buy the club in the first place.

Relegation will be a massive hit on revenue - but with a fire sale of players, the subsequent cutting of the wage bill and other costs and the parachute payments we will survive as a football club. But again the real issue is what are the intentions of the new owner. To invest in and grow the club - or take money out of the club to repay his loan. Unfortunately I expect the latter.

Merirngton was a bit too polite about Carillo, and not sure I agree with his summary of Rodriguez, but otherwise thought he gave a decent response about the team.Also questions how players have been managed this season, Gabbiadini in particular.

Without naming him Reed gets some stick, Blackmore refers to "people above him" [Pellegrino].

Only listened to the first ten minutes though.

Adam also said he thinks Reed will go.

Interesting listen but a worrying one too.

Looks like Reed will probably move on to the FA or maybe West Ham (based on Sullivan’s previous comments) this summer. I’m certainly not averse to him leaving, as things definitely need shaking up at boardroom level, but who is going to make the decision to replace him?

Gao? Ralph? The problem is with Les leaving is that we lose all our football expertise at executive level. Maybe the idea in promoting Wilson to Les’ old title of ‘director of football operations’ is that the handover is already well underway and the appointment will just be in-house.

Whatever happens for the rest of the season, we need to attack the summer transfer window and get our house in order quickly - something we’ve not been so good at doing recently. So many issues to sort that you could easily see the disruption spilling into the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Reed will probably move on to the FA or maybe West Ham (based on Sullivan’s previous comments) this summer. I’m certainly not averse to him leaving, as things definitely need shaking up at boardroom level, but who is going to make the decision to replace him?

Gao? Ralph? The problem is with Les leaving is that we lose all our football expertise at executive level. Maybe the idea in promoting Wilson to Les’ old title of ‘director of football operations’ is that the handover is already well underway and the appointment will just be in-house.

Whatever happens for the rest of the season, we need to attack the summer transfer window and get our house in order quickly - something we’ve not been so good at doing recently. So many issues to sort that you could easily see the disruption spilling into the next season.

Now is this reassuring, or a matter for concern?

Stability and continuity are to good but if it's a continuation of the last two seasons its a concern. Don't know what qualities Ross Wilson brings, and no track record anywhere else to talk of.

In many ways it's the direction from the owner and his CEO that will be critical, get that right and things will fall into place.

The disruption will spill into next season because the only people with power to change the boardroom leadership are the Chinese owners who dont speak English or know anything about English football. Why on arth did they buy the club.....does anyone know?

The disruption will spill into next season because the only people with power to change the boardroom leadership are the Chinese owners who dont speak English or know anything about English football. Why on arth did they buy the club.....does anyone know?

Basically to have club as means to get on ladder when China attempts to become new super power in football! Training facilities, academy, branding, spirit, basically everything that made us a respected club is being sucked out! Its like an alien invasion sucking the life out of the earths energy! We are Gao's means to get it on the ground level. Only my opinion, but he wont be investing in our club for us to perform on pitch, investment will be to promote his needs in China. Hope he gets what he needs and offloads club quickly! Still think we are an attractive option to a buyer with club at heart

That won't be happening!

For the club to move forward again les has to go.

He's completely destroyed the club and it could take years to recover

Been calling for it for years. But Les needs to go now before the end of the season. His position is utterly untenable and the club should be restructuring now! Regardless of what division we are in.

The idea of a manager telling the board that he doesn't want an extra striker smells fishy to me. Who wouldn't want more options, especially in an area in which we're weak (i.e. pace up top).
Exactly, didn't Puel also say he was happy with the squad he inherited?? No manager comes in not wanting players, allpart of the muddying of the waters to keep certain people away from the muck.

I was also told yesterday by another fan,that Les had a minder, is that true???

For the sake of some stability, Hughes needs to stay for next season. I don't think a boardroom reshuffle, change of management and overseeing selling and recruiting new players, in a world cup summer, can be done by hanging around and having a review for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

All depends on the owners though. Very worried about them. Apart from summer schools and pre-season tour of china, I am not aware of anything that they have said or done that gives us a whiff of plans for the first team.

Reed and Wreck-it need to be gone before next season's manager is confirmed. But I dont see Gao wielding the axe OR being able to identify a new board.

Gonna be a long, loooonnnng, summer. I wouldnt bet against a double relegation or at least a bottom half finish in the Championship. Feels like we have a long way down to go before we come up again, just like last time....

Oh, apparently it was Pellegrino who insisted last summer that we did not need any more strikers/forwards. This was despite Austin’s injury record and lack of pace up top after Rodriguez went.

Ironic that when we did need a striker, we get pellegrino’s immobile carthorse mate

Who will probably go down as our worst ever signing!

Should have sacked him at that point in time if that was his conclusion.

Good listen.

Also worth noting that everyone’s transfer business will have to be rammed into a single month, as the transfer window shuts before the first game of the season. (Pretty sure this applies to all English leagues).

Given that we have the world cup between June-July (players will be with their national teams by the end of may), that leaves around a month from mid-July when the players are back from their holidays to get their houses in order. That will certainly focus some eyes...

Good listen.

Also worth noting that everyone’s transfer business will have to be rammed into a single month, as the transfer window shuts before the first game of the season. (Pretty sure this applies to all English leagues).

Given that we have the world cup between June-July (players will be with their national teams by the end of may), that leaves around a month from mid-July when the players are back from their holidays to get their houses in order. That will certainly focus some eyes...

At least it gives us time to sort out who's going to be doing the business.

What we don't want to happen is having players onboard who are still here & who are just waiting for January.

We probably need to look at Villa as a decent example.

At least it gives us time to sort out who's going to be doing the business.

What we don't want to happen is having players onboard who are still here & who are just waiting for January.

We probably need to look at Villa as a decent example.

They had a bumpy first season back down, but they invested heavily on proven players at that level and experience from the level above (Snodgrass, Chester, Jedinak, Hogan, Kodjoa, Terry etc).

Wolves also invested heavily on Neves, Costa, Boly, Jota etc. (they're a bit of an extreme example though)

Good listen.

Sadly not the ones we will be looking to bring in!

I agree with the bloke who said we should appoint a manager as soon as the season finishes. At least then we have someone with an eye on the team for the coming season whilst Reed and Mitchell are being replaced.

For me, Mark Hughes should be offered the manager's job.

I agree with the bloke who said we should appoint a manager as soon as the season finishes. At least then we have someone with an eye on the team for the coming season whilst Reed and Mitchell are being replaced.

Based on how the Puel and Pellegrino appointments dragged on so Les could ensure the successful candidate ticked every one of the boxes in his exhaustive selection criteria, I’m not that optimistic it will be done quickly if the club opts for someone other than Hughes, and Les is still in charge of selection.

It will probably be an interminable selection process producing another underwhelming appointment.

Don’t think we should get rid of Mitchell as he is the real ‘black box’...oh hang on!

They had a bumpy first season back down, but they invested heavily on proven players at that level and experience from the level above (Snodgrass, Chester, Jedinak, Hogan, Kodjoa, Terry etc).

Wolves also invested heavily on Neves, Costa, Boly, Jota etc. (they're a bit of an extreme example though)

Best thing Villa did was get Bruce in to steer it. He's done a good job there IMO.

I was thinking more along the lines of players we have atm, who will be desperate to do one.

For the first time ever, there is not one player who I give a toss about leaving. The chemistry in the squad is all wrong - mass clearout required whatever division we are in.