The annual "Would you take Adkins back" thread?

Bad Wolf

Hull are scoring for fun, although defensively they are a bit suspect. At least we'd stop playing for 0-0 draws! Feel like Redmond and Sims would flourish under an attacking manager like him.

The fans need a lift and a bit of positivity, so yes I would take him back. I'd be happy with Hughes too though.

I think sometimes people are a bit blinded by the past, it was the right time when we had him in the past and he inherited a phenomenal team for L1 level - then carried on the momentum into the Champ, of which the players that we had in L1 were already Champ players anyway.

No discredit to Adkins as he will always leave fond memories with me, but that team in a sense could kind of manage itself. Stacked full of leaders with Fonte, Hammond, Lambert, Jos, Butterfield etc. He wouldn't have anywhere near the luxury with us this time. I think we'd need a stronger personality if I'm honest.

I think sometimes people are a bit blinded by the past, it was the right time when we had him in the past and he inherited a phenomenal team for L1 level - then carried on the momentum into the Champ, of which the players that we had in L1 were already Champ players anyway.

No discredit to Adkins as he will always leave fond memories with me, but that team in a sense could kind of manage itself. Stacked full of leaders with Fonte, Hammond, Lambert, Jos, Butterfield etc. He wouldn't have anywhere near the luxury with us this time. I think we'd need a stronger personality if I'm honest.

True, though he did inherit bit of a rabble, a team of big egos that had missed out on promotion and looked very disjointed following a poor start to the season. Anyone who saw us lose 3-0 at home to Swindon in the JPT under Wilkins will know it was no cakewalk to turn us around.

We were in the relegation zone when he joined us. Had he been with us from the start of the season, we would have won League 1 easily. Sadly we were already too far behind Brighton to catch them up.

Yes, but it depends on who the other candidates are. Tell me it's Jokanovic or Adkins, and I'll choose Jokanovic. Tell me Adkins or a couple of hacks, I'll choose Adkins.

In principle, yes to Adkins, but that's if we have cleared the egotists out and have a side who would look UP to him, not DOWN on him.

Hull fans still not enamoured with NA, apparently, but you know football fans. They want to be challenging for promotion and under NA, they haven't been. The grass is always greener on the other side ...

Yes, but it depends on who the other candidates are. Tell me it's Jokanovic or Adkins, and I'll choose Jokanovic. Tell me Adkins or a couple of hacks, I'll choose Adkins.

In principle, yes to Adkins, but that's if we have cleared the egotists out and have a side who would look UP to him, not DOWN on him.

Hull fans still not enamoured with NA, apparently, but you know football fans. They want to be challenging for promotion and under NA, they haven't been. The grass is always greener on the other side ...

something tells me Jokanovic might not want to swap the premier for the Championship, but stranger things have happened

I think you are also guilty of rewriting the past a bit as well Clarke! We were in the relegation zone when he joined us, and whilst some of those players were Championship level, a lot were not as well. He was also on course for a decent finish in the prem given he had a largely championship level squad in his first season back up.

Whilst getting rid of him for Poch was a great decision by NC from a performance perspective. It was also incredibly harsh on Nigel. It definitely hamstrung his career and stopped him reaching a higher level that he certainly looked to be capable of. After than he has taken on poor job choices at Reading and Sheffield and his career hasn't really recovered.

I think if he came back to saints then the vast majority of the fanbase would support him. Whether he would be the best man for the job is up for debate. He would bond the players together as a team, and with the fans on his side I think that would give us a lot of momentum. Unfortunately i think he is a manager that needs to build from a low point, rather than arresting someone else's slide and achieve a good finish.

I personally think Hughes is doing a decent job with a very damaged and limited squad. It is not his fault that his best offensive players are Shane Long and Tadic, nor that his best defenders are two youngsters and Yoshi. That is no slight on those players. But when you consider we have had players like VVD and Mane it is shocking to think we have this team currently. It is shame that he has not had more time as I think he would have kept us up if appointed earlier in the season. But again, not to bore everyone to death, but Les Reed will been worse for saints than Lowe if we go down.

Yes I would. Fans know what he is about' date=' youth and experience + I recon he'll want very much to return.[/quote']

Why would he want to come back? He has a job. Last time he got us promoted he got sacked, as if he would take that chance again.

I think you are also guilty of rewriting the past a bit as well Clarke! We were in the relegation zone when he joined us, and whilst some of those players were Championship level, a lot were not as well. He was also on course for a decent finish in the prem given he had a largely championship level squad in his first season back up.

Whilst getting rid of him for Poch was a great decision by NC from a performance perspective. It was also incredibly harsh on Nigel. It definitely hamstrung his career and stopped him reaching a higher level that he certainly looked to be capable of. After than he has taken on poor job choices at Reading and Sheffield and his career hasn't really recovered.

I think if he came back to saints then the vast majority of the fanbase would support him. Whether he would be the best man for the job is up for debate. He would bond the players together as a team, and with the fans on his side I think that would give us a lot of momentum. Unfortunately i think he is a manager that needs to build from a low point, rather than arresting someone else's slide and achieve a good finish.

I personally think Hughes is doing a decent job with a very damaged and limited squad. It is not his fault that his best offensive players are Shane Long and Tadic, nor that his best defenders are two youngsters and Yoshi. That is no slight on those players. But when you consider we have had players like VVD and Mane it is shocking to think we have this team currently. It is shame that he has not had more time as I think he would have kept us up if appointed earlier in the season. But again, not to bore everyone to death, but Les Reed will been worse for saints than Lowe if we go down.

It might work out, but I'm not sure it's always wise going back and I wouldn't want to ruin the memories of those years. I still think the likes of Richardson, Butterfield, Chaplow, Lambert, Hammond, Morgan, Fonte, Puncheon (when not in trouble), Connolly (when fit!), Davis, and Chamberlain were really good championship players in L1, so even though he inherited a weird situation we always had the ability to get going eventually at that level.

Being able to then go up, keep them together and add the likes of Fox, Cork, Jos etc was only going to improve us. His positivity helped us, but so did the mass of leaders we had in that group.

There's no surprise we are where we are now, I don't think we have a genuine leader out there. Leadership type players can sometimes be underestimated, they don't always need to be the best players in the world...but it's the mentality which sets them apart.

It might work out, but I'm not sure it's always wise going back and I wouldn't want to ruin the memories of those years. I still think the likes of Richardson, Butterfield, Chaplow, Lambert, Hammond, Morgan, Fonte, Puncheon (when not in trouble), Connolly (when fit!), Davis, and Chamberlain were really good championship players in L1, so even though he inherited a weird situation we always had the ability to get going eventually at that level.

Being able to then go up, keep them together and add the likes of Fox, Cork, Jos etc was only going to improve us. His positivity helped us, but so did the mass of leaders we had in that group.

There's no surprise we are where we are now, I don't think we have a genuine leader out there. Leadership type players can sometimes be underestimated, they don't always need to be the best players in the world...but it's the mentality which sets them apart.

Don't disagree with that.

I think we have a lot of fans that think we'll go down, land on our feet, and then get promoted as champions etc.

Its not happening sadly.

Spot on.

The team was full of outstanding talent for the championship and league one.

He was extremely fortunate.

We should’ve one both leagues whilst in them.

That was down to his failings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on.

I'll happily take his failings and his 2nd placed finishes.

I'll happily take his failings and his 2nd placed finishes.

Lard has a bizarre contempt for anything Adkins achieved whilst he was here, repeatedly banging on about how we didn’t win the League, even though we did during his tenure in League 1 and missed out to Reading by less than a point (if you include our GD being 11 better) in the Championship.

He no doubt thinks 4-0 wins are the minimum Hull should be achieving with their superior squad.

Spot on.

He did a good job with us, we had a good team and he walked into a well-financed outfit.....but better managers would have failed. Not getting first in L1 was frustrating, but a lot of that was due to our start (not with Adkins). Our run at the end of that season was incredible.

He fostered a good team spirit with a good bunch of blokes. He didn't fail.

Spot on.

Garbage.

We were easily the best teams in both those leagues, he wasn't here for the whole season in League 1 and Reading got lucky.

Would love NA Back players loved playing for him and we played some good football with a good team, but having a good team does not automatically get you success for the people saying about the squad he had, look at Chelsea as a example should be 3rd or worse case 4th with that team and fighting for 2nd not sat in 5th and like 7 points behind 4th with 3-4 games left.

If not Lambo wants to coach I believe, why not get him in.