Preseason tour of China and Gao's plans

Saint86

I don't know if this has already been reported on here (if so I've missed it amongst the wrist slitting and fan angst), but Gao wants us to tour China in the pre-season. This is with a backdrop to raising the club's profile in the east, and also to work with Lander sports development to open 10 coaching academies - queue a Chinese prodigy (or not) in the saints team in circa 10years.

A large part of me feels this is the very last thing we need to be distracted by this summer. Miles from Europe and the UK right when we need to be restructuring the staff and the players... and with all the hastle entailed in communicating over that distance. On top of that, its going to come after what has been a long hard season for the players that stay, and potentially a world cup (assuming we keep any of those players).

On the flip side, it does show some interesting intent from the owner, and an interest in the club and its stature/progression.

A large part of me feels this is the very last thing we need to be distracted by this summer.

ALL of me feels this is the last thing we should be doing!

We'll be relegated, with a decimated squad, potentially no manager and probable changes at the director level. If this does happen then it absolutely shows that Ji Sheng Gao has no interest in Southampton FC as a successful football club, just as a vehicle for his own ambitions within China.

The best way we can market ourselves in China (and indeed, anywhere around the world) is by playing in the Premier League. Therefore, if that is Gao's primary motivation, then hopefully no expense will be spared in ensuring we achieve promotion at the earliest opportunity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43877716

At least we are not going to Burma ................

This situation is ridiculous. Know someone who works at the club and it’s causing huge problems between owners and 1st team staff. Vaccinations are needed 6 months in advance which they have not accounted for and the Zika virus is rife there and many players are saying that they won’t risk becoming infected because of possible implications with family. Club aren’t backing down though. Add to that that it’s a war zone...

I don't know if this has already been reported on here (if so I've missed it amongst the wrist slitting and fan angst), but Gao wants us to tour China in the pre-season. This is with a backdrop to raising the club's profile in the east, and also to work with Lander sports development to open 10 coaching academies - queue a Chinese prodigy (or not) in the saints team in circa 10years.

A large part of me feels this is the very last thing we need to be distracted by this summer. Miles from Europe and the UK right when we need to be restructuring the staff and the players... and with all the hastle entailed in communicating over that distance. On top of that, its going to come after what has been a long hard season for the players that stay, and potentially a world cup (assuming we keep any of those players).

On the flip side, it does show some interesting intent from the owner, and an interest in the club and its stature/progression.

Its his club for ****s sake he can do with it what ever he wants

What Gao needs to realise is that our profile will drop significantly when we’re in the championship. I can’t see the old ‘Kitchen Sinks’ being that arsed about a game away to Burton on a Tuesday night.

Perhaps Gao hasn’t been made aware that relegation is possible (along with the drop in revenue that comes with it) and that it’s very likely to happen to us.

Christ on a bike, Ji Sheng Gao is totally deluded allowing statements like that from his employees.

He really has no clue whatsoever about what's going on does he, or he just doesn't give a ****, I can't fathom out which it is. All I know is it's going to get far worse before it gets better if this is his style of conducting business!

Can you translate the whole article Saintrich :)

A few things:

We're supposedly in talks with 3-4 Chinese companies with an eye to sponsorship - no names but they span industries such as insurance, airlines, home appliances and drinks, though it does say this is attributable to our premier league status.

Talks about buying players who can contribute immediately as opposed to proven players per se. Oddly contrasts this 'new' approach with the 'old' one associated with signings like Wanyama, VVD and Mane. Of course most would argue that we lost our way precisely because we departed from this approach in targeting big club cast-offs.

Talks about the profile it our academy and the prospect of Chinese players playing for Southampton, though it is currently seen as a pipedream given the difficulties of obtaining work visas.

Kit will be launched in July and the team will be doing publicity work. Staff from the academy and management (Les?), meanwhile, will be participating in forums and training events.

Edited by shurlock

A few things:

We're supposedly in talks with 3-4 Chinese companies with an eye to sponsorship - no names but they span industries such as insurance, airlines, home appliances and drinks, though it does say this is attributable to our premier league status.

Talks about buying players who can contribute immediately as opposed to proven players per se. Oddly contrasts this 'new' approach with the 'old' one associated with signings like Wanyama, VVD and Mane. Of course most would argue that we lost our way precisely because we departed from this approach in targeting big club cast-offs.

Talks about the profile it our academy and the prospect of Chinese players playing for Southampton, though it is currently seen as a pipedream given the difficulties of obtaining work visas.

Kit will be launched in July and the team will be doing publicity work. Staff from the academy and management (Les?) will participating in forums and training events.

Ok thanks for that Shurlock! :)

How can they hold the realsitic ambition of being a top 10 premier league club, when we are staring down the barrel of the NPC.

Our ownership is so disconnected. As someone has said, there is a huge void at the top and it's simply just filled by Ralf's hot air.

This situation is ridiculous. Know someone who works at the club and it’s causing huge problems between owners and 1st team staff. Vaccinations are needed 6 months in advance which they have not accounted for and the Zika virus is rife there and many players are saying that they won’t risk becoming infected because of possible implications with family. Club aren’t backing down though. Add to that that it’s a war zone...

What vaccination is needed 6 months in advance?

How can they hold the realsitic ambition of being a top 10 premier league club, when we are staring down the barrel of the NPC.

Our ownership is so disconnected. As someone has said, there is a huge void at the top and it's simply just filled by Ralf's hot air.

It does say "had faith" so past tense.

I had to re-read it but I think they're saying they didn't anticipate it being so terrible.

ddc7e9bc23744179119ac43b3c0bfe0e.jpg

Lol Gao fell for the oldest trick in the book...when Fat Kat told him they were the perfect management team he should have checked himself before handing over the dosh... Sounds like they have just realised that there was never a plan to stay top 10 and that the "perfect management" team were actually just a couple of bozo's winging it, full of self promotion with a total lack of focus on what is actually important at a football club.....

Never mind...I am sure those people you borrowed 200 million off will understand that you were conned and now you are in charge of a ****e team, where none of the players actually want to be there but are payed a fortune anyway and the premier league gravy train money is about to disappear.

Its his club for ****s sake he can do with it what ever he wants

Get a grip of yourself mate, jeez Louise! I purely commented on the rumoured tour and reasons.

What is with our melt fans turning on other Saints fans? Fecking embarrassing for those involved.

Have you actually read those tweets yourself? They don't contradict the implication of the first one.

This sounded like praise to me...

“Just to add a little perspective on the quotes from Neil Chen. He was applying a very broad brush on club management, praising a wide range of roles, not purely football decision making. #saintsfc”

Perhaps we’ll have to wait for the full report to be sure.

This sounded like praise to me...

“Just to add a little perspective on the quotes from Neil Chen. He was applying a very broad brush on club management, praising a wide range of roles, not purely football decision making. #saintsfc”

Perhaps we’ll have to wait for the full report to be sure.

Wide range of roles - not purely football decision making.

If he's talking about the club as a whole he is probably not wrong - we do have a fundamental structure in place that is sound. Doesn't mean Les has got a job for life or even a job in June.

It does say "had faith" so past tense.

I had to re-read it but I think they're saying they didn't anticipate it being so terrible.

Not necessarily. In reported speech i.e. "Neil Chen told", the verb is usually one tense back in time, so "had faith" could easily mean "has faith" in this context.

Edited by shurlock

I think Les and co were indeed the perfect management team prior to our inevitable relegation. A board that cares about profits and exploiting its fans more than getting on field results. Perfect management for an investment group looking to make profit. Sadly they cut costs in too many areas and took our PL status for granted.

Not necessarily. In reported speech i.e. "Neil Chen told", the verb is usually one tense back in time, so "had faith" could easily mean "has faith" in this context.

So you think Chen still holds, present tense, a realistic ambition that in the here and now we are going to be top 10 Premier League club with this perfect management team?

Seems unlikely.