Maya Yoshida

saints1988

If this Saudi rumour is true, that would be a shame for us, but if it gives him his last hoorah in his bank account before he hangs up his boots then fair play to him.

Think if he did leave there will be a few numpties who continually knock him, regardless of performance, realising the old saying “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”.

If this Saudi rumour is true, that would be a shame for us, but if it gives him his last hoorah in his bank account before he hangs up his boots then fair play to him.

Think if he did leave there will be a few numpties who continually knock him, regardless of performance, realising the old saying “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”.

Like Mane and Wanyama before him he has been vilified by 'fans' on this site. We will miss him, why do we treat our own so badly, is it because they are 'foreigners'?

He absolutely loves the club and is a true legend.

If he was good enough for the top 6 he wouldn't leave us as he's a legend and he loves the club so much

I still stand by this. He's a legend and would not leave us for top 6 or for money.

He loves the club

This would be a terrible decision in my opinion, you never hear anything but good things about Maya from inside the club and he's well respected and by all accounts an absolute model pro. This sounds to me like a mistake on the same level as letting Pelle go, we'll be dropping a well liked player, respected in the dressing room and a model pro for a some cash.

Very short term thinking from the club, and the kind of thing i would've thought they'd learnt had got us in this mess in the first place. There's way too many people inside Saints who believe their own hype, and are too clever for their own good.

This would be a terrible decision in my opinion, you never hear anything but good things about Maya from inside the club and he's well respected and by all accounts an absolute model pro. This sounds to me like a mistake on the same level as letting Pelle go, we'll be dropping a well liked player, respected in the dressing room and a model pro for a some cash.

Very short term thinking from the club, and the kind of thing i would've thought they'd learnt had got us in this mess in the first place. There's way too many people inside Saints who believe their own hype, and are too clever for their own good.

Yep, you just know they will be viewing it from the point of view of asset value, rather than considering any effect it might have on the squad.

****ing idiotic if he leaves given how poor / young / relatively inexperienced the other CBs are and given the lack of leaders in the squad.

It's the clubs roadmap. They want to sell a first team defender in every transfer window.

Absolutely this, but this is an alarming sign for me that Reed and Wilson aren't going to be chucked because no-one should be going anywhere until a new DoF/manager is in place, or Hughes confirmed if staying. League 1 here we come if those two jokers aren't sacked asap. Carrillo is a big enough offence to sack them for without too many issues, and that's without Pellegrino and Puel disasters. About the last player in the current squad, bar younger players like Targett and McQueen from the area, who actually gives a toss. It's a pay day but surely the Championship would be better?

James Ward-Prowse probably. Steven Davis made his debut at the same time but as he's 33, I doubt he'll be playing for us still at 36.

PEDANT ALERT!!

JWP made his debut at C. Palace in the league cup on the 25th October 2011. 10 months before Steve Davis played at Man City.

PEDANT ALERT!!

JWP made his debut at C. Palace in the league cup on the 25th October 2011. 10 months before Steve Davis played at Man City.

Ah yes you're right, forgot about the cup match in the Championship. I just remember the starting line up for that first game back in the Prem.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased if he is staying as I think he is probably our best centre back now. But we do need to get better quality in for this position, which means someone will need to go to make space in the squad.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pleased if he is staying as I think he is probably our best centre back now. But we do need to get better quality in for this position, which means someone will need to go to make space in the squad.

Gardos already going, but we need additional CBs if we are going to play 3/5 at the back, cannot play that formation all season with only 4 recognised CBs (especially if Bertrand goes as expected). The ones we have (Stephens, Yoshida and Hoedt/Bednarek) are good enough for first choice but the squad needs more depth in this position, at least one, probably two.

Gardos already going, but we need additional CBs if we are going to play 3/5 at the back, cannot play that formation all season with only 4 recognised CBs (especially if Bertrand goes as expected). The ones we have (Stephens, Yoshida and Hoedt/Bednarek) are good enough for first choice but the squad needs more depth in this position, at least one, probably two.
Can we necessarily assume that Hughes wants to play with 3 big centre backs next season though? I think he went with that formation by necessity for the run in because we are so weak at centre back. If we can sign at least 1 maybe 2 better quality CBs, maybe he will look to return to a back 4.

But that would probably mean moving on at least 1 of our current players in that position.

Started reading this and it is actually quite interesting. I'll bookmark anything pertinent to Saints that is of note and post it on here.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

How much of it is about his time with us?

Can we necessarily assume that Hughes wants to play with 3 big centre backs next season though? I think he went with that formation by necessity for the run in because we are so weak at centre back. If we can sign at least 1 maybe 2 better quality CBs, maybe he will look to return to a back 4.

But that would probably mean moving on at least 1 of our current players in that position.

think he liked to play 3 at the back with stoke but maybe not all the time if my memory is correct

Gald he's staying, he's a sloid player who always gives 100% clearly he's not a top 4 player or we would have sold him on long ago but we need player like him who are that next step down and hang around giving us continuity like Tadic, Davis and Austin.

Gald he's staying, he's a sloid player who always gives 100% clearly he's not a top 4 player or we would have sold him on long ago but we need player like him who are that next step down and hang around giving us continuity like Tadic, Davis and Austin.

Exactly this.

I would also say that Yoshi is a leader, and defence has looked more solid with him in it this year.

We'll all akowledge that he isn't the best technical player in the world. But his reading of the game has improved and he always gives it his best.

I'm pleased he's staying, and am happy for him that his sending off didn't cost us at the end of the season. He's a perfect third choice for me, the only issue we have at the moment is he's currently amongst our best 2 centre backs. As last season showed, we need a dominant replacement for VVD in addition to the crop of CBs we currently have. So that means at centre back we have Yoshida, Hoedt, Stephens and Bednarek. (Assuming Gardos goes and not including any youth players.) Even with Bednarek showing he can be decent, and Hoedt improving in the latter few games of the season, we are still a centre back light for a 3-centre back system, so I expect we'll bring another one in. Gibson? Do we need another left footed centre back?

• 2 weeks later...
How much of it is about his time with us?

Read this last week on holiday. About half the book is about his time here. Not that you'll learn much about the club. It's really about his constant striving to improve himself as a player, from childhood to present day (up to date enough to mention MH arrival but not staying up so ). He really does seem one hell of a committed guy, deserves any success he achieves in his career.