Alfie Evans dies

inspectorfrost

I can't see an exisiting thread on this but the poor lad has finally died.

I feel incredibly sorry for the parents when they've had to watch their little boy's body slowly destroy itself for the last year or so. That alone is beyond horrific for any parent to go through.

I do think this case sums up everything that's wrong with society when a bunch of publicity-seeking pro-life extremists hijack the grief of a terminally ill toddler's parents and use it to create a media circus. I was intrigued when the father made the statement about wanting to build bridges with the hospital the other day, as I wonder if someone had got through to them that they were being manipulated and used.

It is now that they will realise that none of 'Alfie's Army' give a **** about them as grieving parents, or give a **** about any of the other severely sick children at that hospital, some of whom will probably be in similar situations. Their case was a particularly distressing one and it would have been difficult to accept the reality for anyone. They did what they thought best and were consequently sucked in, fed the false hope of a 'miracle', and the propaganda of the hospital trying to murder their son all under the guise of "never giving up". All by scum who think nothing of financially crippling them for life in legal fees, just to generate publicity for their own crusade.

Groups like 'Alfie's Army' are dangerous. People who genuinely cared for that little boy do not intimidate the people doing their best for him, or try and storm hospitals. They cared about one thing, and that was publicity.

As for the parents I hope they will now get the chance to grieve with privacy and dignity, and hope they get the opportunity of raising a healthy baby in the future.

I feel incredibly sorry for the parents when they've had to watch their little boy's body slowly destroy itself for the last year or so. That alone is beyond horrific for any parent to go through.

I do think this case sums up everything that's wrong with society when a bunch of publicity-seeking pro-life extremists hijack the grief of a terminally ill toddler's parents and use it to create a media circus. I was intrigued when the father made the statement about wanting to build bridges with the hospital the other day, as I wonder if someone had got through to them that they were being manipulated and used.

It is now that they will realise that none of 'Alfie's Army' give a **** about them as grieving parents, or give a **** about any of the other severely sick children at that hospital, some of whom will probably be in similar situations. Their case was a particularly distressing one and it would have been difficult to accept the reality for anyone. They did what they thought best and were consequently sucked in, fed the false hope of a 'miracle', and the propaganda of the hospital trying to murder their son all under the guise of "never giving up". All by scum who think nothing of financially crippling them for life in legal fees, just to generate publicity for their own crusade.

Groups like 'Alfie's Army' are dangerous. People who genuinely cared for that little boy do not intimidate the people doing their best for him, or try and storm hospitals. They cared about one thing, and that was publicity.

As for the parents I hope they will now get the chance to grieve with privacy and dignity, and hope they get the opportunity of raising a healthy baby in the future.

Tragic case. Afie Evans has been kept in intensive care breathing and his heart beating for nearly a year beyond the point where was no hope of recovery. As a population we seem unable to to deal with difficult questions about when medical interventions should be stopped. Its a harsh fact of life that in a cash limited service somebody else will have suffered and probably died.

Years ago I worked on a team developing metrics to be used to target NHS resources to where they would be most effective. On an abstract level those metrics received wice public support, but when it came down to actual individual cases and withholding care people baulked. One of the reasons mental health services are so poorly resourced is that people don't actually die of the mental illness in the same way they will die of, say, organ failure. You could treat dozens of mental health patients for the price of one organ transplant and reduce suicides and murders whilst increasing quality of life for the patients and their families.

or being cynical,his parents being OK magazine etc for years as C celebs