Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 241

Thread: Everton v Saints Buildup

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Was still quite a few left for Swansea when I was on there last night !
    About 300 left for Swansea and I'd estimate about half our allocation for Everton

    With tickets £10 each for both games, considering we took nearly 5.000 to Wigan, think Swansea will sell but be surprised if we do for Everton which is a shame as 3,000 fans getting behind the team there could make all the difference

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    9,984
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Three draws should do it too.
    Maybe, but Huddersfield could pull a rabbit out the hat. So could we. It is going to be desperately close one way or another.

  3. #53

    Default

    Be interesting to see how he manages the squad with 2 games so close together.
    Will Long start this one, leaving Austin fresh for Swansea.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,120

    Default

    Pace might be better against their ageing defence. I'd play Redmond and Long for Everton and start JWP and Austin for Swansea. Rest of team the same, no need for too many changes right now.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Surely our players will be too much in awe of their dugouts, floodlights and amazing atmosphere to have any chance of getting anything out of the game.
    That's been the problem in the past. As soon as the opposing side see those dugouts they're intimidated by the historical artefacts.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    In Ibiza for the Everton and Swansea games
    Would love to meet a few Saints fans in a pub somewhere.
    Any recommendations?
    Just turn up in your Saints shirt like you did when we met in Disney Orlando all those years ago mate and there's bound to a Saint and family nearby.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    I'd bring Long in for Redmond but that's it.

    Even if Austin comes off after 60 mins there's no reason why he can't start both games. We need to play on the front foot and target a win.

    Long gives us more of an aerial presence defending and attacking set pieces as well as some pace on the break.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post
    Just turn up in your Saints shirt like you did when we met in Disney Orlando all those years ago mate and there's bound to a Saint and family nearby.
    Blimey I forgot all about that, I have no idea who we were playing that day or even the result.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,784

    Default

    Need a point at least from this game otherwise we are likely to go down

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Maybe, but Huddersfield could pull a rabbit out the hat. So could we. It is going to be desperately close one way or another.
    17th place is looking good though

  11. #61

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Stubbington, United Kingdom
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    I'd bring Long in for Redmond but that's it.

    Even if Austin comes off after 60 mins there's no reason why he can't start both games. We need to play on the front foot and target a win.

    Long gives us more of an aerial presence defending and attacking set pieces as well as some pace on the break.
    Not to mention the fact Austin has scored against them in the last two games.

  12. #62

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    9,984
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    17th place is looking good though
    I think most people would settle for that this season!

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Massive game but our record there is appalling, i was there for our last win on a Sunday on sky so hopefully being televised is a good omen. Need Everton to be as kind to us as they were at St Maryís this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    this one is on a Saturday mate!
    And on BT.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lets B Avenue View Post
    And on BT.
    Think (and hope) we have got over the live coverage curse - for what it's worth Saturday's gave vs B'mouth was live on Sky outside the UK - which I am, and watched it - been looking for my fingernails since mind!

  15. #65

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sponsored by Heisenberg
    Posts
    21,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    We have a poor record at Goodison. Let's hope we change things this time.
    How we did vs Everton in 1971 or 1996 has no bearing on what will happen at the weekend.

  16. #66

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hurworth-On-Tees, nr Darlington
    Posts
    642

    Default

    I don't want to put a downer on this as we need to try to win and the fact that their season is now virtually over gives them less to play for. However, I think this is going to be a very hard match to draw let alone win. Despite having a bad start to the season they have won all but one of the matches that they have played against the teams outside of the top seven. The only match they didn't win against those clubs was a draw against West Brom back in January. Since October they have only lost two games at home (against both Manchester clubs) and drawn three (against Chelsea, West Brom and Liverpool). They have won the other eight home league matches, including four out of eight matches won at home since the start of the year.

    If we can achieve a win it will be a significant result and we must go for it, with defeat leaving us back in the mire. The one thing that we have going for us is the now distant memory of our last match aginst them - our best win of the season when we beat them 4-1 at St Marys back in October. I wouldn't mind seeing us turning in a performance like that one!

  17. #67

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJackoInHurworth View Post
    I don't want to put a downer on this as we need to try to win and the fact that their season is now virtually over gives them less to play for. However, I think this is going to be a very hard match to draw let alone win. Despite having a bad start to the season they have won all but one of the matches that they have played against the teams outside of the top seven. The only match they didn't win against those clubs was a draw against West Brom back in January. Since October they have only lost two games at home (against both Manchester clubs) and drawn three (against Chelsea, West Brom and Liverpool). They have won the other eight home league matches, including four out of eight matches won at home since the start of the year.

    If we can achieve a win it will be a significant result and we must go for it, with defeat leaving us back in the mire. The one thing that we have going for us is the now distant memory of our last match aginst them - our best win of the season when we beat them 4-1 at St Marys back in October. I wouldn't mind seeing us turning in a performance like that one!
    Indeed. They've got over their injury and managerial problems and now play basically the same side in each game. Hard to score against them of late.

  18. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey.
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    I think at last our luck is turning and we are due to meet a team having just a little off day….and there is no telling how much the win will help attitude and confidence, for us I mean of course!

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    How we did vs Everton in 1971 or 1996 has no bearing on what will happen at the weekend.
    No, but 2017, 16, 15 and 14 are not bad indicators.

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    No, but 2017, 16, 15 and 14 are not bad indicators.
    indicators?

    indicators from 2017, 16, 15, and 14 say we should be 7th place right now.

  21. #71

    Default

    I'm sure Everton fans were saying the same thing, that hadn't won at St Mary's since 2002 before they beat us 3-0 back in 2015

  22. #72

    Default

    https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/t...iation.103426/

    And I thought this place hated Puel! That's nothing compared to what they think of Allardyce.

    What a deluded set of fans. I've never liked them.

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/t...iation.103426/

    And I thought this place hated Puel! That's nothing compared to what they think of Allardyce.

    What a deluded set of fans. I've never liked them.
    Hang on, didnít you slag me off when I suggested BFS in December, when it was clear (to some) that we were in trouble? You even said youíd prefer Adkins back

  24. #74

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    fareham
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    One change in this one for me, Hojbjerg in for Redmond to make us a bit more solid in midfield. Move Lemina forward where Redmond was playing.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  25. #75

    Default

    Walcott and Bolasie up against Hoedt and Bednarek is a nightmare scenario. Hopefully Hughes adjusts things to protect them more, because Bednarek has to be one of the slowest defenders we've ever had (including Lloyd James in that) and Hoedt is absolutely awful. I think we'll lose but winning at Swansea may be enough

  26. #76

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,501

    Default

    Fearing that Walcott inevitable goal and non celebration. Have to get a win here, then a draw from Swansea. I'd go same side. Build on the morale.

  27. #77

    Default

    I'd go 4-4-2 with Bertrand and Soares matching against Walcott and Bolasie and some support and pace or creativity in front of them - maybe Tadic and JWP.

  28. #78

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highfield Saint View Post
    I'd go 4-4-2 with Bertrand and Soares matching against Walcott and Bolasie and some support and pace or creativity in front of them - maybe Tadic and JWP.
    I think Vlasic started against Huddersfield though. Different sort of player than Bolasie.

  29. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highfield Saint View Post
    I'd go 4-4-2 with Bertrand and Soares matching against Walcott and Bolasie and some support and pace or creativity in front of them - maybe Tadic and JWP.
    Hope not, they'd kill us in the middle of the pitch. Decent side Everton.

  30. #80

    Default

    I like that a lot....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza82 View Post
    One change in this one for me, Hojbjerg in for Redmond to make us a bit more solid in midfield. Move Lemina forward where Redmond was playing.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  31. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Hang on, didn’t you slag me off when I suggested BFS in December, when it was clear (to some) that we were in trouble? You even said you’d prefer Adkins back
    It's a bit easier when they have an owner willing to spend spend spend on new signings, anyone could have done that.

    My criticism is the same for Leicester fans who want Puel out - they should be grateful that they're not in the relegation mix when they could quite easily be.

    The point about Adkins is very odd, considering the excellent work he has done in turning around Hull. Not bad for a team with huge off the field issues.

  32. #82

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Lousy KO time 'though so long day and very late night so many will elect to watch on TV at home or down their local. Same with Swansea, Tuesday night at 19.45pm how the hell is one supposed to get home and then be up at the crack of dawn for work?

    Having said that Saturday's result will make a difference and there should be a good walk up to the ticket office today.

  33. #83

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,120

    Default

    Draw would be ideal IMO. Means we'd be completely focused for Swansea. We're a better side than Swansea, ok hasn't helped us much all season, but we can go there and win. If we win at Goodison I have a horrible feeling we'd think job done and then lose to Swansea.

    Still, given our fixtures, who would take 3 points now and just a gamble than Huddersfield don't get any more? I think I probably would.

  34. #84

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netley
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Draw would be ideal IMO. Means we'd be completely focused for Swansea. We're a better side than Swansea, ok hasn't helped us much all season, but we can go there and win. If we win at Goodison I have a horrible feeling we'd think job done and then lose to Swansea.

    Still, given our fixtures, who would take 3 points now and just a gamble than Huddersfield don't get any more? I think I probably would.
    Think Huddersfield will get a point against arsenal

  35. #85

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by explorer saint View Post
    Think Huddersfield will get a point against arsenal
    Might depend how Arsenal get on against Burnley.

  36. #86

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Lousy KO time 'though so long day and very late night so many will elect to watch on TV at home or down their local. Same with Swansea, Tuesday night at 19.45pm how the hell is one supposed to get home and then be up at the crack of dawn for work?

    Having said that Saturday's result will make a difference and there should be a good walk up to the ticket office today.
    kick of time and Tv didn't seem to effect the 4,600 who travelled to Wigan ko 1.30Pm

    Swansea has already sold out and nearly 2,000 sold so far for Everton, hopefully saturdays performance will encourage more to travel and support the team rather than watching on TV

  37. Default

    This stage of the season is weird, so I think it's a bit risky to assume Huddersfield will get turned over for sure in their next 2 - although on paper it looks likely, I've seen stranger things happen at this stage of the season...!

    As long as we get ourselves to 38 points by the Man City game then I'll be quite comfortable. We just need to win the next 2 ourselves, then have a look at what the other sides did. But I belive 38 points should be fine.

  38. #88

    Default

    2 wins for sure will be more than enough. Beating just Swansea and losing the other two would probably do it tbh.

  39. #89

    Default

    Would be good for Arsenal to go out against Atletico for the sake of their final game against Huddersfield. Not a lot of time inbetween those two fixtures, also would leave Hudders as Wenger's last game.

  40. #90

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,500
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hard to see us getting 2 wins - 4 points looks like a decent return.

  41. #91

    Default

    It'd read better if the thread said 'Sticky: Toffee Puddings vs Saints

  42. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Matty 76 View Post
    Would be good for Arsenal to go out against Atletico for the sake of their final game against Huddersfield. Not a lot of time inbetween those two fixtures, also would leave Hudders as Wenger's last game.
    Yup, they will for sure name a weakened team if they beat Atletico. But if Huddersfield is his final game then I'm sure the players will want to sign off with a victory.

  43. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    2 wins for sure will be more than enough. Beating just Swansea and losing the other two would probably do it tbh.
    It seems so doable when written out like that but I can'y imagine us doing it. Hopefully the boys are full of confidence and get a vital win up at Everton.

  44. #94

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    It seems so doable when written out like that but I can'y imagine us doing it. Hopefully the boys are full of confidence and get a vital win up at Everton.
    Don't really see that myself. In fact I see us with a better chance of getting a point against Citeh than I do of us beating Everton.
    They have become a pretty solid side, boring to their fans perhaps but solid. Unless he knows before the game that he'll be getting the boot BfS will as likely as not set them out as he did against Huddersfield and Newcastle...ie hard to beat..

  45. #95

    Default

    Bit the bullet and bought a ticket, despite knowing how dreadful our record is at Everton (last win was 21 years ago i think) i'm still going with hope we can get something, even a draw may be enough.

  46. #96

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Bit the bullet and bought a ticket, despite knowing how dreadful our record is at Everton (last win was 21 years ago i think) i'm still going with hope we can get something, even a draw may be enough.
    Yep. It was THAT goal from Kevin Davies in 1997.

  47. #97

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    9,984
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Bit the bullet and bought a ticket, despite knowing how dreadful our record is at Everton (last win was 21 years ago i think) i'm still going with hope we can get something, even a draw may be enough.
    You are right, but was there ever a time to break that bad run? Let's hope the footballing Gods favour us. The luckiest, scrappiest, underserved victory for Saints would be a massive boost!

  48. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Everton should be happy where they are, but their deluded fans think otherwise. I would love it if one day they suffered relegation. Bigger clubs (Villa, Newcastle, Leeds) have suffered that fate, so it's within the realms of possibilities.
    How are Leeds bigger? They've spent 50 seasons in a lower division and have won much less, same for Newcastle, they've spent way more time in a lower division and won less. Villa are on a par I'd say.

  49. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Fearing that Walcott inevitable goal and non celebration. Have to get a win here, then a draw from Swansea. I'd go same side. Build on the morale.
    Thatíll at least give the usual numpties an excuse to chant THEO THEO THEO at him post-match.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  50. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sotonjoe View Post
    That’ll at least give the usual numpties an excuse to chant THEO THEO THEO at him post-match.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does my head in, they usually follow it up with “Theo Walcott he wants to come home” and get all giddy if he gives them a clap.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •