Everton v Saints Buildup

redkeith

Was still quite a few left for Swansea when I was on there last night !

About 300 left for Swansea and I'd estimate about half our allocation for Everton

With tickets £10 each for both games, considering we took nearly 5.000 to Wigan, think Swansea will sell but be surprised if we do for Everton which is a shame as 3,000 fans getting behind the team there could make all the difference

Surely our players will be too much in awe of their dugouts, floodlights and amazing atmosphere to have any chance of getting anything out of the game.

That's been the problem in the past. As soon as the opposing side see those dugouts they're intimidated by the historical artefacts.

In Ibiza for the Everton and Swansea games

Would love to meet a few Saints fans in a pub somewhere.

Any recommendations?

Just turn up in your Saints shirt like you did when we met in Disney Orlando all those years ago mate and there's bound to a Saint and family nearby.

I'd bring Long in for Redmond but that's it.

Even if Austin comes off after 60 mins there's no reason why he can't start both games. We need to play on the front foot and target a win.

Long gives us more of an aerial presence defending and attacking set pieces as well as some pace on the break.

Just turn up in your Saints shirt like you did when we met in Disney Orlando all those years ago mate and there's bound to a Saint and family nearby.

Blimey I forgot all about that, I have no idea who we were playing that day or even the result.

I'd bring Long in for Redmond but that's it.

Even if Austin comes off after 60 mins there's no reason why he can't start both games. We need to play on the front foot and target a win.

Long gives us more of an aerial presence defending and attacking set pieces as well as some pace on the break.

Not to mention the fact Austin has scored against them in the last two games.

And on BT. :D

Think (and hope) we have got over the live coverage curse - for what it's worth Saturday's gave vs B'mouth was live on Sky outside the UK - which I am, and watched it - been looking for my fingernails since mind!

I don't want to put a downer on this as we need to try to win and the fact that their season is now virtually over gives them less to play for. However, I think this is going to be a very hard match to draw let alone win. Despite having a bad start to the season they have won all but one of the matches that they have played against the teams outside of the top seven. The only match they didn't win against those clubs was a draw against West Brom back in January. Since October they have only lost two games at home (against both Manchester clubs) and drawn three (against Chelsea, West Brom and Liverpool). They have won the other eight home league matches, including four out of eight matches won at home since the start of the year.

If we can achieve a win it will be a significant result and we must go for it, with defeat leaving us back in the mire. The one thing that we have going for us is the now distant memory of our last match aginst them - our best win of the season when we beat them 4-1 at St Marys back in October. I wouldn't mind seeing us turning in a performance like that one!

I don't want to put a downer on this as we need to try to win and the fact that their season is now virtually over gives them less to play for. However, I think this is going to be a very hard match to draw let alone win. Despite having a bad start to the season they have won all but one of the matches that they have played against the teams outside of the top seven. The only match they didn't win against those clubs was a draw against West Brom back in January. Since October they have only lost two games at home (against both Manchester clubs) and drawn three (against Chelsea, West Brom and Liverpool). They have won the other eight home league matches, including four out of eight matches won at home since the start of the year.

If we can achieve a win it will be a significant result and we must go for it, with defeat leaving us back in the mire. The one thing that we have going for us is the now distant memory of our last match aginst them - our best win of the season when we beat them 4-1 at St Marys back in October. I wouldn't mind seeing us turning in a performance like that one!

Indeed. They've got over their injury and managerial problems and now play basically the same side in each game. Hard to score against them of late.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/southampton-game-lap-of-appreciation.103426/

And I thought this place hated Puel! That's nothing compared to what they think of Allardyce.

What a deluded set of fans. I've never liked them.

Hang on, didn’t you slag me off when I suggested BFS in December, when it was clear (to some) that we were in trouble? You even said you’d prefer Adkins back :lol:

Walcott and Bolasie up against Hoedt and Bednarek is a nightmare scenario. Hopefully Hughes adjusts things to protect them more, because Bednarek has to be one of the slowest defenders we've ever had (including Lloyd James in that) and Hoedt is absolutely awful. I think we'll lose but winning at Swansea may be enough

Hang on, didn’t you slag me off when I suggested BFS in December, when it was clear (to some) that we were in trouble? You even said you’d prefer Adkins back :lol:

It's a bit easier when they have an owner willing to spend spend spend on new signings, anyone could have done that.

My criticism is the same for Leicester fans who want Puel out - they should be grateful that they're not in the relegation mix when they could quite easily be.

The point about Adkins is very odd, considering the excellent work he has done in turning around Hull. Not bad for a team with huge off the field issues.

Lousy KO time 'though so long day and very late night so many will elect to watch on TV at home or down their local. Same with Swansea, Tuesday night at 19.45pm how the hell is one supposed to get home and then be up at the crack of dawn for work?

Having said that Saturday's result will make a difference and there should be a good walk up to the ticket office today.

Draw would be ideal IMO. Means we'd be completely focused for Swansea. We're a better side than Swansea, ok hasn't helped us much all season, but we can go there and win. If we win at Goodison I have a horrible feeling we'd think job done and then lose to Swansea.

Still, given our fixtures, who would take 3 points now and just a gamble than Huddersfield don't get any more? I think I probably would.

Think Huddersfield will get a point against arsenal

Lousy KO time 'though so long day and very late night so many will elect to watch on TV at home or down their local. Same with Swansea, Tuesday night at 19.45pm how the hell is one supposed to get home and then be up at the crack of dawn for work?

Having said that Saturday's result will make a difference and there should be a good walk up to the ticket office today.

kick of time and Tv didn't seem to effect the 4,600 who travelled to Wigan ko 1.30Pm

Swansea has already sold out and nearly 2,000 sold so far for Everton, hopefully saturdays performance will encourage more to travel and support the team rather than watching on TV

This stage of the season is weird, so I think it's a bit risky to assume Huddersfield will get turned over for sure in their next 2 - although on paper it looks likely, I've seen stranger things happen at this stage of the season...!

As long as we get ourselves to 38 points by the Man City game then I'll be quite comfortable. We just need to win the next 2 ourselves, then have a look at what the other sides did. But I belive 38 points should be fine.

Would be good for Arsenal to go out against Atletico for the sake of their final game against Huddersfield. Not a lot of time inbetween those two fixtures, also would leave Hudders as Wenger's last game.

Yup, they will for sure name a weakened team if they beat Atletico. But if Huddersfield is his final game then I'm sure the players will want to sign off with a victory.

2 wins for sure will be more than enough. Beating just Swansea and losing the other two would probably do it tbh.

It seems so doable when written out like that but I can'y imagine us doing it. Hopefully the boys are full of confidence and get a vital win up at Everton.

It seems so doable when written out like that but I can'y imagine us doing it. Hopefully the boys are full of confidence and get a vital win up at Everton.

Don't really see that myself. In fact I see us with a better chance of getting a point against Citeh than I do of us beating Everton.

They have become a pretty solid side, boring to their fans perhaps but solid. Unless he knows before the game that he'll be getting the boot BfS will as likely as not set them out as he did against Huddersfield and Newcastle...ie hard to beat..

Bit the bullet and bought a ticket, despite knowing how dreadful our record is at Everton (last win was 21 years ago i think) i'm still going with hope we can get something, even a draw may be enough.

You are right, but was there ever a time to break that bad run? Let's hope the footballing Gods favour us. The luckiest, scrappiest, underserved victory for Saints would be a massive boost!

Everton should be happy where they are, but their deluded fans think otherwise. I would love it if one day they suffered relegation. Bigger clubs (Villa, Newcastle, Leeds) have suffered that fate, so it's within the realms of possibilities.

How are Leeds bigger? They've spent 50 seasons in a lower division and have won much less, same for Newcastle, they've spent way more time in a lower division and won less. Villa are on a par I'd say.

Fearing that Walcott inevitable goal and non celebration. Have to get a win here, then a draw from Swansea. I'd go same side. Build on the morale.

That’ll at least give the usual numpties an excuse to chant THEO THEO THEO at him post-match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’ll at least give the usual numpties an excuse to chant THEO THEO THEO at him post-match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does my head in, they usually follow it up with “Theo Walcott he wants to come home” and get all giddy if he gives them a clap.

I'd go 4-4-2 with Bertrand and Soares matching against Walcott and Bolasie and some support and pace or creativity in front of them - maybe Tadic and JWP.

I think we have shown now that three/five at the back suits the players we have. Everton are strong in midfield and we need to control them there as much as possible....

Same formation - we have improved with it. This is no time for gun ho, we just don’t have the players to use 442 or the weird totally useless Pelligrino formation...