Everton v Saints Buildup

redkeith

I think we have shown now that three/five at the back suits the players we have. Everton are strong in midfield and we need to control them there as much as possible....

Same formation - we have improved with it. This is no time for gun ho, we just don’t have the players to use 442 or the weird totally useless Pelligrino formation...

As Dazza 82 suggests - same formation, but Hojbjerg in for Redmond, which makes the midfield stronger, but allows Lemina and Hojbjerg to attack at the right moments. Redmond and Long options to stretch the EFC defence in later stages.

How are Leeds bigger? They've spent 50 seasons in a lower division and have won much less, same for Newcastle, they've spent way more time in a lower division and won less. Villa are on a par I'd say.

If you don't understand that Leeds are a bigger club then you clearly know nothing about football history. He said bigger clubs have suffered that fate, i.e. in the past. European Cup Runners-up, Cup winners cup runners-up, UEFA Cup winners twice, Everton have won the Cup Winners Cup, Leeds League Champions 3 times in the reasonably modern era, same as Everton. There was a time in recent memory when Leeds were certainly top 2 or 3 in this country.

Does my head in, they usually follow it up with “Theo Walcott he wants to come home” and get all giddy if he gives them a clap.

Yep. If it still gets sung even after he decided NOT to COME HOME, they need their heads looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the epitome of a must not lose game if ever there was one. Need to pack midfield so expect to see Austin up top on his own again and Tadic supporting in some way. Trouble is, Everton are a team that need to high pressed to reduce the pressure on our flaky defence and that could be difficult. If we get a draw it will be good day...lose and it’s goodbye Prem.

This is the epitome of a must not lose game if ever there was one. Need to pack midfield so expect to see Austin up top on his own again and Tadic supporting in some way. Trouble is, Everton are a team that need to high pressed to reduce the pressure on our flaky defence and that could be difficult. If we get a draw it will be good day...lose and it’s goodbye Prem.

Hardly, Swansea is the big game, any points outta this game is a bonus for me.

Hardly, Swansea is the big game, any points outta this game is a bonus for me.
I think we have to assume Swansea will get something out of Bournemouth.

Desperately need something out of the Everton game to stay in touch. If Swansea win on Saturday that's huge pressure on us.

Everton odds 2/1 to win. Seems high.

Might have a few quid on that and on Swansea to beat Bournemouth.

What are the odds on Huddersfield to win at Man City?

The more I look at it I just can’t see us getting anything at Goodison, even when we’ve been at our best last few years we didn’t manage to win there, just hope subconsciously Schneiderlin, Walcott and Martina help out and do us a favour.

Doesn’t look like we’ll sell out but on course to sell about 2500 which is a decent effort for us 5.30 TV game

Desperately need something out of the Everton game to stay in touch. If Swansea win on Saturday that's huge pressure on us.

And even if Swansea don't get a result at Bournemouth, they still have Stoke at home on last day so a win for them there would keep them above us even if we beat them.

I agree, we definitely need at least a draw at Everton.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A draw, at the very least, is essential. Preferably a win to go into Swansea with options.

there is a lengthy interview on the Echo from Tadic, but have copied in this bit:

This win was Saints' first in the league at home since November 26, when they defeated Everton 4-1.

“It’s very important because so many times we didn’t get the benefits from our performances and finally we get everything," Tadic said.

“Like the last game against Chelsea you are 2-0 up but then are 3-2 behind; all season is like this.

“We have had great moments but then we’ve had really bad moments.

“We need to be strong, we need to defend together like a team and attack together like a team and fight for each-other – only like that can we survive.

Saints face Everton, Swansea and champions Manchester City in their final three games and Tadic believes four points might be enough to stay up.

“It’s difficult to say but maybe four points more,” he said.

god I hope the rest of the players don't think 4 will be enough. 6 pls Dusan. it got me thinking- has Mark told the boys that 4 will be enough and so we park the bus against Everton (or play the way we did against Leicester away) and then go for it vs Swansea?!?! hope not.

there is a lengthy interview on the Echo from Tadic, but have copied in this bit:

This win was Saints' first in the league at home since November 26, when they defeated Everton 4-1.

“It’s very important because so many times we didn’t get the benefits from our performances and finally we get everything," Tadic said.

“Like the last game against Chelsea you are 2-0 up but then are 3-2 behind; all season is like this.

“We have had great moments but then we’ve had really bad moments.

“We need to be strong, we need to defend together like a team and attack together like a team and fight for each-other – only like that can we survive.

Saints face Everton, Swansea and champions Manchester City in their final three games and Tadic believes four points might be enough to stay up.

“It’s difficult to say but maybe four points more,” he said.

god I hope the rest of the players don't think 4 will be enough. 6 pls Dusan. it got me thinking- has Mark told the boys that 4 will be enough and so we park the bus against Everton (or play the way we did against Leicester away) and then go for it vs Swansea?!?! hope not.

I fear that WILL be the approach. Like the Leicester game, play for a draw, don't risk the point. Then winner takes all against Swansea. Like you, I would rather go for the win against Everton to get the points advantage going into the Swansea game.

Can someone change the title of this thread...To Toffees vs Saints...I know they snatched Koeman and all that, but it its a bit disrespectful calling them Bastards. Positive karma.

We should change it to St. Domingo FC in keeping with winning last game with a Boscome (sic) thread. I’ll leave it up to the forum geniuses to make the spelling mistake.

I fear that WILL be the approach. Like the Leicester game, play for a draw, don't risk the point. Then winner takes all against Swansea. Like you, I would rather go for the win against Everton to get the points advantage going into the Swansea game.

Although, maybe it got me thinking- I think if Mark will change tactics all depending on thay Swansea v Bournemouth game being played earlier.

If Swansea win- reckon Hughes can set up em up for a go all out approach.

In essence, much like the Bournemouth game was, we will have pencilled in the Swansea one as a must win anyway so.

If you don't understand that Leeds are a bigger club then you clearly know nothing about football history. He said bigger clubs have suffered that fate, i.e. in the past. European Cup Runners-up, Cup winners cup runners-up, UEFA Cup winners twice, Everton have won the Cup Winners Cup, Leeds League Champions 3 times in the reasonably modern era, same as Everton. There was a time in recent memory when Leeds were certainly top 2 or 3 in this country.

Runners up means nothing and Everton have nine league titles (six more). If you're talking about the modern era then Leeds have spent about the last 15 seasons in Division 2 and Division 3 and spent half of their entire history in the lower divisions whereas Everton have spend just 4 in comparison. They have a smaller ground and their record attendance is much smaller in a one team city. Everton are looking to expend their ground to around Leeds highest ever attendance while they rot in Division 2. I'd suggest it's you struggling with reality.

Runners up means nothing and Everton have nine league titles (six more). If you're talking about the modern era then Leeds have spent about the last 15 seasons in Division 2 and Division 3 and spent half of their entire history in the lower divisions whereas Everton have spend just 4 in comparison. They have a smaller ground and their record attendance is much smaller in a one team city. Everton are looking to expend their ground to around Leeds highest ever attendance while they rot in Division 2. I'd suggest it's you struggling with reality.

Your first sentence says it all. No hope for you pal.

How are Leeds bigger? They've spent 50 seasons in a lower division and have won much less, same for Newcastle, they've spent way more time in a lower division and won less. Villa are on a par I'd say.

Leeds were bigger at the time they got relegated. They were in a Champions League semi-final, Everton have got nowhere near that.

Your first sentence says it all. No hope for you pal.

Counting runners up in finals, if you say so.

Leeds were bigger at the time they got relegated. They were in a Champions League semi-final, Everton have got nowhere near that.

They were bigger you say. They've only just taken back ownership of their ground because the council owned it until recently. Their highest attendance in a one team city is 57k, Everton's is 78k with one of the most successful teams in English football as neighbours. Leeds have spent half of their entire history in a lower division and they're still there now playing bang average football, they can't even make the play offs. Everton are in the Premier League and are looking to build a new stadium. Leeds have just bought their ground back. People listen to sky too much concerning Leeds and Newcastle.

I dare any of you to read through this thread without cringing: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/extraordinary-popular-delusions-and-the-madness-of-the-everton-fanbase.103496/

My personal favourite...

We’re not Southampton Stoke or West Brom. We’ve won more than most of the bottom 13 combined and played more games in the top flight than most of them combined. Attempts to lump us in with them are nothing more than kopite propaganda.

They haven't won anything in 23 years! This deluded lot need to know their place. Without big Sam, they would be down with us.

Edited by Disco Stu

I dare any of you to read through this thread without cringing: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/extraordinary-popular-delusions-and-the-madness-of-the-everton-fanbase.103496/

My personal favourite...

They haven't won anything in 23 years! This deluded lot need to know their place. Without big Sam, they would be down with us.

They did invent dugouts though, or floodlights, or was it both?

Forget Swansea. 4pts would give us 36. Huddersfield are on 35 with Man City,Chelsea, Arsenal. If they get a draw and lose two they’d end on 36 with worse goal difference.

Our best hope is catching Huddersfield but it’ll be close.

That would mean that Swansea would have beaten us and have at least 36. If Stoke beat Palace and then Swansea they would be on 36. There could be four teams on 36, couldn’t there? Then it’s all down to goal difference.

My personal favourite...

It's in spite of Sam, it's more to do with their rather deep pockets.

Hope we almost confirm their relegation on Saturday, misplaced arrogance and thought they were our equals when Koeman dared to make the move. The likes of West Brom and Burnley who have had spells in the top 10 in recent years seem far more reasonable when I have taken a look at their forums.

Had a glance at Southampton's to see what their thoughts are, and there is someone arguing that Leeds are a bigger club than us due to a load of finals that they've lost.

Considering how bad we've been this season, Everton fans should be embarrassed that they were thrashed by a Pellegrino team. You will not find a more deluded fan base in the Premier League, perhaps with the exception of Stoke fans.

They did invent dugouts though, or floodlights, or was it both?

They can bog off with laying claim to floodlights, The Dell was the first ground in England to have floodlighting permanently installed, and the first ‘official’ game played under them.

I like Everton. Bit of a bogey side for us when we play up there. Rarely do we win.

Although, I do wonder when their assault on the top 4 will begin?!

They're definitely in the top 4 of teams without a hope in hell of winning anything or achieving anything meaningful.

So, good for them. Massive.