Hughsey

benjii

Watching his reactions today it looks like he cares and I think the players appreciate the passion he brings. I hope he keeps us up and has a long reign.

I like him; his interviews are worth listening to - he has instilled some fire into a side which was cooked. Whichever division we are in next season I hope he is offered the job.

How he dealt with Boufal shows the difference between him and Pellegrino. Boufal comes off the bench to score and immedietely comes to Pellegrino to have a go. Next match he starts the game. I think that attitude wouldn't have worked on Hughes.

He’s showing that if we had even a half decent manager since the start of the season we wouldn’t be in this mess.

Yep, I don't think Hughes is the best manager in the world but he is certainly competent, which is more than can be said for Pellegrino. I've no doubt if he had been given an extra couple of months we wouldn't be in this mess. It's so refreshing to see a manager with a bit of passion who looks like he cares, and that has transmitted to the players and fans.

I'd be happy to keep him regardless if we stay up or not.

Looking at his record - Hughes has never been an instant impact manager - needs a handful of games to get the team in shape. Makes our boards late decision even more negligent.....Hughes had been available for a while. If he’ll stay - we should keep him next season.

There's nothing out of the ordinary he's doing, just basic stuff. Playing players who want to play, being tough with the characters who don't. Getting the team to press and play on the front foot, being more aggressive in our recovery and tackling.

It's not rocket science really, we'd have been fine this year if we just had a competent manager like Hughes who can get the basics right. I honestly still don't know what Mp was trying to achieve with us, bizarre

There's nothing out of the ordinary he's doing, just basic stuff. Playing players who want to play, being tough with the characters who don't. Getting the team to press and play on the front foot, being more aggressive in our recovery and tackling.

It's not rocket science really, we'd have been fine this year if we just had a competent manager like Hughes who can get the basics right. I honestly still don't know what Mp was trying to achieve with us, bizarre

Take the last few mins yesterday. Made a sub that took an age, broke up play, wasted time, got a few yellows and made it a bit nasty

Compare that to the last 5 mins - Watford(A)

I think it just goes to show what a dreadful appointment Pellegrino was. At least he united the forum because we all agree he is a terrible manager.

Now we've got someone competent in and surprise surprise we're getting points.

Totally this and makes a. Pellegrino's appointment a poor decision. But, even worse, hanging on to him for so long. Surely Les has responsibility for both decisions?

He knows what he's talking about and has plenty of experience in this league. He has clearly stepped things up in the club and there has been a reaction where we're picking up points again.

The only thing he can't fix on his own is the psychological car crash instilled by the last two managers, however yesterdays win and the surrounding circumstances will have been an enormous boost for the players. The whole teams reaction at the end said it all and sets them up in the best possible way for the next two away games.

Not sure we really managed the game and Hughes has instilled a grittiness or saviness in us (though we've certainly improved under him). For starters, Bournemouth are a soft side, so it's not difficult to match them. They also had plenty of pressure at the end. Had they scored (and they had the chances), we would undoubtedly be putting a very different gloss on things, how we had caved in before halftime, conceded a poor goal from a corner (again) and had dropped too deep second half.

Edited by shurlock

I'd keep him he is exactly what we need. Doesn't mess about regarding the egos not afraid to telling how it is...... I thought Tadic yesterday was immense you could see the positive effect Hughes has had on him....

Les needs to either take a back seat next season or step down.... Let Hughes but the dross from the squad keep the players with passion and grit. Give him a 3 year deal see what he can achieve.

listening to Tadic it seems to me training under MP was dire, and he likes the team being fitter. Many mentioned how unfit we seemed earlier in the season, hence so many late goals conceded

Think this is one of the keys. We certainly looked fitter yesterday, the way we set up to play Boscombe meant we needed runners, and they couldn't have done that under the Pellegrino/Puel regime. Its probably taken a few weeks since his appointment for Hughes to be able to get players playing like this, you cannot change fitness levels overnight, but his more intensive training looks like it has worked. If only he had been given the chance to do this a few weeks earlier, not convinced yet we can get out of this mess but at least we have a chance with two tricky but winnable away games coming up.

Not sure we really managed the game and Hughes has instilled a grittiness or saviness in us. For starters, Bournemouth are a soft side, so it's not difficult to match them. They also had plenty of pressure at the end. Had they scored (and they had the chances), we would undoubtedly be putting a very different gloss on things, how we had caved in before halftime, conceded a poor goal from a corner (again) and had dropped too deep second half.

I think, yes and no, to that.

Whilst it was only the plucky Cherries I thought we handled their pressure well. The defenders stepped up to the plate, Romeu and Lemina showed plenty of energy and Hojbjerg got stuck in well when he came on. We also had decent chances to get a third goal.

Given the amount of times we have surrendered leads this season, that was a marked improvement.

The only worry is the question: what if Bournemouth had a big bugger up front? Bringing Defoe on actually helped us I thought. If they had a Giroud / Carroll / Murray / Barnes type to come off the bench, would we have coped?

Take the last few mins yesterday. Made a sub that took an age, broke up play, wasted time, got a few yellows and made it a bit nasty

Compare that to the last 5 mins - Watford(A)

Did anybody else notice that when Tadic was substituted he was on the far side of the pitch and as far away as possible? He must have known that he was going to go off because he didn’t even look across and was taking out his shinpads without looking at the board. Nice game management there :)

Does he though? Quote doesn’t refer to relegation although journalist refers to whether or not we survive.

Good to hear though and he is showing what he is capable of and clearly Hughes has made a difference.

A few times now he has spoken about “affinity with the club”. Whilst we can all say talk is cheap, I get the feeling that despite having had to push water uphill since he came in, personally he actually enjoyed his playing days at the club many moons ago, and bonus aside genuinely personally wants to do well for the club.

Bloomin great seeing him doing his nut on the sidelines.

Some folks say he rubbish, don’t want him here, taking 2 teams down this season (that last one is BS Stoke haven’t improved much since he left and Lambert has had longer), think if you look at Adkins, McMenemy, even Koeman, sometimes a manager fits with a club, I would have no issue if Mark Hughes turns out to be another right fit.

His press conferences are very good and there was a lot of togetherness at the final whistle on Saturday. He should have some money to spend at SMS of we stay up, which he probably has not had before (Man City excepted). For one that previously would not have wished to have him as manager, I must now do a U turn.

His press conferences are very good and there was a lot of togetherness at the final whistle on Saturday. He should have some money to spend at SMS of we stay up, which he probably has not had before (Man City excepted). For one that previously would not have wished to have him as manager, I must now do a U turn.

I'd keep him if we go down. He'd be a proper solid manager in that league.

Im not sure about Hughes yet, what i do think is clear from the way we are playing , and from all that the interviews , is that Pellegrino was clearly incompetent. It might be all that Hughes has done is what any competent manager should have been doing all season. Keeping MP on for as long as we did is one of the worst decisions by any club in the premiership!

I think he has done what we hoped he would so far. His record is much better than many people give him credit for, I know it ended badly at Stoke in the end, but he was there for a long time and transformed the team after Pulis. Any manager lasting 3 or 4 years in a job nowadays is a rarity.

I loved the reaction from the coaching team and players at the end! We all needed a lift and hopefully the Bournemouth game will give them all the confidence to save themselves from the drop.

Let's not forget his assistant coaches that arrived with him either. Watching them in action on Saturday they seem like a couple of uncompromising hard barstards who were even having a go at Watson and Davis as well as individual players about poor play by people that they are individually responsible for. probably been a bit of a wake-up call for both of his sleepy valley types.

Redmond had a bit of verbal with one of them (as he does!) in the second half and was hauled off about five minutes later.

It's probably a tougher life at Staplewood now which may have posed a few problems especially for Sims and other young academy players who may have to up their games considerably to get into the starting XI. Maybe before they thought it was all too easy and getting in was going to be easy because Les was backing them. Seems, not any more!

Good to have a manager who speaks English. Now all he has to do is get the dressing room to speak and think in our English language.

That sounds like crap to me and far more than a bit racist as most of our team are not UK born. In fact only 4 Brits started on Saturday and only two remained on at the end!

Go, why is it racist? What race is the victim here

Go.

Well... it is discriminatory towards foreigners, and in a rather biased fashion.

Its also a stupid comment since some of the key players behind that win were not English. Unless Lemina and Tadic are English surnames?!??! And against this, some of the players people have been moaning about for most on this are Forster, Bertrand and JWP... And unless I am very much mistake they all speak English as their first (and probably only) language.

In fact, someone come and get me when the fans come up with a regular chant for our English players.

:mcinnes: