End of the matchday programme

OldNick

Whilst not pertinent to us yet, I heard on 5Live that the72 clubs in the EFL don't have to produce a matchday programme next season. Sad day if this comes to pass. Perhaps it will only be a disappointment to the older fan, as the young are happy to watch vlogs

Whilst not pertinent to us yet, I heard on 5Live that the72 clubs in the EFL don't have to produce a matchday programme next season. Sad day if this comes to pass. Perhaps it will only be a disappointment to the older fan, as the young are happy to watch vlogs

I must have a gazillion pounds worth straining the rafters in the loft, up until Saints changed the format to that stupid A4 size, probably through force of habit I would buy one each game, now if I remember I buy the first of the season and that’s it. Also being tourist on away days I normally do buy the away game programme.

Like you say a sad day if it comes to pass, but with the Internet and 24/7 access to information, hard paper copies of stuff are becoming a dwindling market......... 20 years ago who would have thought that NME would one day cease to exist in a tangible form, especially when you consider the size and depth of the British music industry.

Programmes will die out just like the old codgers who cherish them. The ‘young’ will die out and take their vlogs with them too one day. You can’t stop change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the excitement as a kid of looking through a programme is something lost to modern generations, also Shoot and Goal magazine, where you hoped that there might be a picture of your hero of the time, Ron Davies, or Mick Channon. Now you might get a spotty kid giving you a run down of a player hes describing. Yes the old codgers will die out, but at least they will have had the thrill of growing up with such pleasures. You can have your vlogs etc

the excitement as a kid of looking through a programme is something lost to modern generations, also Shoot and Goal magazine, where you hoped that there might be a picture of your hero of the time, Ron Davies, or Mick Channon. Now you might get a spotty kid giving you a run down of a player hes describing. Yes the old codgers will die out, but at least they will have had the thrill of growing up with such pleasures. You can have your vlogs etc

A very sad day. From my earliest days following Saints it has been part of the ritual to moan about the price of the programmes!

Do you remember at the Dell the other scores being put on the board and you had to match the letter in the programme to the game and the player of the season voting slips in the second last game of the season. Those were the days when we had a player of the season.

A very sad day. From my earliest days following Saints it has been part of the ritual to moan about the price of the programmes!

Do you remember at the Dell the other scores being put on the board and you had to match the letter in the programme to the game and the player of the season voting slips in the second last game of the season. Those were the days when we had a player of the season.

Yep, I still like to flick through programmes if I come across them and like to see the old adverts for Watneys and Toomers etc

My old man rang me the other day, he was having a sort out in the loft and has come across programmes from the 90s and early 00s when I was growing up as a Saints fan. Maybe even a few ticket stubs in there.

Suppose I will keep them for a bit but eventually they all end up in the loft or bin!:lol:

Whilst they've become glossy and irritating, I always used to buy them and have loads of historical ones I found on eBay. Not everyone's cup of tea I agree, but I used to enjoy flicking through after the match. I think I stopped buying when we moved to St Marys and wouldn't buy one now.

It's a shame for kids though.

When I first started going to the Dell in 1969 the best seat cost 19/6 and a programme one shilling - a ratio of 20:1. Now the programme is £4 it is simply too expensive. I still buy them because I can't help myself. I have got just about every home programme since 66/67 and hundreds of away programmes. But it is a sobering thought that if I ever tried to sell my collection it would almost certainly realize less than what I have paid to assemble it.

I think with the amount of content online these days, matchday programmes don’t justify the price anymore- especially us who charge £4. I would much rather spent that cash on a pint or two. Okay I wasn’t alive in the 70s/80s but I can imagine a matchday programme being a staple in those days- the same goes for the Pink newspaper which too has sadly ended.

I only buy one for any big occasion, however having paid a fiver for the FA Cup semifinal one- that was rubbish in all honesty.

There was one section which had Benali’s comment on every player in our squad- wish he was downright straight forward with that one :lol:

I'm middle aged and never bought programmes, when I was younger I would much rather have another pint and not the hassle of looking after it afterwards. So I never got into the habit.

I did but the odd away programme just for the info bit about the team. Now with everything online there really is little point.

Another nail in the printers coffin.

Not only have I got loads of old programmes I never go back and re-read, I've even got loads of copies of 'The Saints Magazine' that we used to produce - who remembers that!?

Any form of print is slowly dying a death, it's just a sign of the times.

In a way I'll be quite grateful if they stop being produced. My collection contains every home programme since 1971 and every away since 1975 so I keep buying them just to keep the collection complete. I haven't even flicked through the old ones since I moved house umpteen years ago so they really are just dust collectors but I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Programmes are fast being replaced by ten minute videos of 'men' gurning into a camera for ten minutes. You can't stop progress.

I've got quite a collection of those going back years...

uh oh. wrong forum !!!

As it stands they still have to produce a programme, looks like they are voting in June wether to change the rules or not.

Programmes will die out just like the old codgers who cherish them. The ‘young’ will die out and take their vlogs with them too one day. You can’t stop change.

Bit ageist Joe, this old codger hasn't bought a programme since 1973

I still buy one for every game I go to - but I don't know why really. Especially if its the away team as they usually only have about 4 pages of largely inaccurate information that you already know.

I think I read a good quote from a Leeds fan who had shelves full of everything going back to the 60s in individualy marked folders by season: It was something like: "I don't collect programmes - I just don't throw them away."

Even though I am the resident 'modern fan vlogger', believe it or not I'm disappointed with the news. I religiously buy programmes and read them inside the stadium in the build up to kick off; the captain and manager notes making me believe we're in for a great game, even if nine times out of ten we're not. I especially buy them at away games to prove I've been to that stadium, and keep match tickets inside them. I guess they're a memento that, if the game becomes a historic classic talked about for years, proves you were there. It'd be a shame to lose them, especially as, as good as online content can be, it doesn't have that sense of permanence.

Anyone have any idea how many they sell? Baffles me why anyone would still buy one other than the collector.

Used to collect as a kid. Also used to gaze at tables in the SportsEcho for hours on Saturday evening. Things move on. Now I just read sh1t on the internet.

Shame because programmes must be as old as the game....

They merited buying years ago because the actual team line up was in there and reading through used up some time as we used to have to get there earlier in case the gates were closed .... Or to get a decent spot near the front as kids ....

Will cherish the old ones I have....

When I first started going to the Dell in 1969 the best seat cost 19/6 and a programme one shilling - a ratio of 20:1. Now the programme is £4 it is simply too expensive. I still buy them because I can't help myself. I have got just about every home programme since 66/67 and hundreds of away programmes. But it is a sobering thought that if I ever tried to sell my collection it would almost certainly realize less than what I have paid to assemble it.

You couldn’t buy a seat ticket in 1969 .... There was a waiting list for a season ticket in the stands a mile long then....

Well done on the collection :-)

You couldn’t buy a seat ticket in 1969 .... There was a waiting list for a season ticket in the stands a mile long then....

Well done on the collection :-)

Ah but if your season ticket was 'Available for cup ties' you had to buy a ticket for those games - and they cost 19/6

Ah but if your season ticket was 'Available for cup ties' you had to buy a ticket for those games - and they cost 19/6

My first game in 1970 it was 6 Shillings in the Archers, 3 shillings for boys.

IIRC a bag of chips was about a shilling at that time.

I can probably still remember the great/tense games from the past just by looking at how much print my sweaty fingers have removed from old programmes. That said I can remember watching a whole season of games for the same price of a few of today's pointless editions.

I'd be disappointed if the EFL clubs do away with the regulation to print a programme.

Having said that I only buy them at away games and never for matches I haven't been to - somewhere spread across a load of carrier bags in my garage is therefore a record of which matches I went to in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. More recent stuff is being tracked online. I might even organise them at some point if I ever get somewhere indoors to keep them.