10 Years Since...

Lighthouse

Of course, it all went tits up after that when Rupert Lowe made his return.

Well, no, it was already beyond tits up at that stage thanks to the ill-advised expenditure on the promotion-chasing failure, and Lowe's efforts to cut costs kept us out of admin for a while but were eventually were in vain.

My memories from that game is it being the loudest last 5 minutes I’ve heard at St Mary’s.

I don't recall it being anything like as loud as Camara's goal against Norwich, but I suspect we'll never know.

Did we really spend 4 years in the Championship before begin relegated, I must have blanked it out even though I was there for every game. I agree with The9, Camara's goal against Norwich was the loudest that I can remember.

[video=youtube;iXJYBM-9Lrc]

Wasn't there but remember listening to the commentary on 5 live, driving through Northern Belgium.

I was there, having just flown back from Brazil in time for the game. The atmosphere was brilliant and we were all on the pitch at the end. I thought Sheffield United fans took it all very well, considering the fact it was a crucial game for them too, whch they needed to win to get into the play-offs. There were a few Pompey fans there, who'd come to see us get relegated. They were a glum bunch who got on the train at Woolston after the game and kept close to the guard but started getting vocal when as we got farther east.

Yep 4 years. First year flirted with relegation before a couple of wins late on in the season to cement mid table obscurity. 2nd season, despite spunking loads of money on a number of players, we scraped into the playoffs on the last day of the season with a win against Southend. Only for the penalty debacle at Derby to ruin it all. Then obviously the third and fourth seasons which were basically descending into the 8th and 9th circle of hell.

I know this season has been pretty awful but when you take a look at some of the sides we put out, especially in the 2008/09 season! WOW we had some absolute dross playing for us. That's the problem with the kids and fans who have only really followed us since Markus came in - you weren't there man!!!

Yep 4 years. First year flirted with relegation before a couple of wins late on in the season to cement mid table obscurity. 2nd season, despite spunking loads of money on a number of players, we scraped into the playoffs on the last day of the season with a win against Southend. Only for the penalty debacle at Derby to ruin it all. Then obviously the third and fourth seasons which were basically descending into the 8th and 9th circle of hell.

I know this season has been pretty awful but when you take a look at some of the sides we put out, especially in the 2008/09 season! WOW we had some absolute dross playing for us. That's the problem with the kids and fans who have only really followed us since Markus came in - you weren't there man!!!

Yep, we were pretty desperate back then. As you say the last six years have been a million times better than that, but I guess the current situation maybe feels worse than it is because we have fallen a long way in the space of 12 to 18 months.

That following season was when I saw the worst ever Saints performance in my 25 years as a Saints fan...away to Plymouth. Looking at the BBC match report, we threw Matt Paterson and Kayne McLaggon on hoping they would make the difference mid-way through the second half...well they didn't:scared:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7787646.stm

What a day that was! I remember returning to Winchester afterwards as was at uni there at the time and walking home and nearly every car was beeping its horn as it drove past us in our Saints shirts and cheering out the window! That last 5-10mins, though, after Stern got sent off and we were bombarded with long balls into our box...geez!

This game is always one that i will remember. I visited my father in law in hospital on the Saturday, we talked in length about the game and I remember being excited/nervous about it. We won the game and stayed up. On the Tuesday he died. Would give anything to go back in time and have that conversation again. I wish the players/board cared as much as us fans do

Probably the most tense final ten minutes at St Marys.

Typically Saints retreating back to the edge of their area and were under siege, with everyone on their feet willing the ball to stay out the goal.

Wave after wave of Sheffield crosses and half clearances straight back to them.

The relief at the final whistle matched the euphoria against Norwich a few years earlier.