Everton 1 Saints 1

St Chalet

Oh give it a rest. Not even the referee's solidarity union cheerleader Graham Poll was trying to defend this one.

At least he didn't try to make up new rules this week. The standard of refereeing is appalling - the game has simply become too quick for them. You have 22 athletes and the likes of Jon Moss refereeing - it is laughable.

Oh give it a rest. Not even the referee's solidarity union cheerleader Graham Poll was trying to defend this one.

Poll didn’t think it was a foul, that was all, but incidents like this are ‘in the opinion of the referee’. Not your opinion, not mine, not Poll’s

Oh dear, that nasty referee gave a decision against us.

Grow a pair FFS.

It wasn’t 10 yards away. You’ll be arguing over which blade of grass it should have been on next. Do you have any idea how feeble complaints like this sound to any supporter of any other team? Please Sir, please Sir, that nasty player in the blue shirt took the free kick when I wasn’t ready! It’s really pathetic.

It’s not a matter of defending him. How many times do I have to say this? We need to manage the situation and learn to defend. In the first minute and in the last. The other team is going to try and desperately attack us in the last few minutes.

Whats pathetic is your constant defending of refs decisions that have been a part reason we are going down. You are just blinded to officialdom as you once used to be part of it. Frankly I'm sick of jobsworths who defend such things, yes the players have to take their share of the blame, but the officials who can play god, have been giving some rubbish decisions against us. And don't tell me no other fans complain about the refs.

Whats pathetic is your constant defending of refs decisions that have been a part reason we are going down. You are just blinded to officialdom as you once used to be part of it. Frankly I'm sick of jobsworths who defend such things, yes the players have to take their share of the blame, but the officials who can play god, have been giving some rubbish decisions against us. And don't tell me no other fans complain about the refs.

I have said it before and will say it again, THE PREM LEAGUE REFS ARE BENT. It's so obvious. Which is why I am not bothered if we go down, fairer game in the Championship

If we go down it will be because we have been crap for most of the season.

Bleating about decisions that you don’t like is feeble and pathetic. Complaining about referees has been a constant part of the game ever since the laws were first laid down. How the hell can you blame Moss because we let a deflected goal in against Everton? Take a good look at yourself.

I have said it before and will say it again, THE PREM LEAGUE REFS ARE BENT. It's so obvious. Which is why I am not bothered if we go down, fairer game in the Championship
I'm not sure of that, but some like to be seen on the back pages more than others. The decisions will be at times just as bad.

A ref can by not doing his job properly make a result go against yu, the same as a defender slipping and letting the forward score

Bleating about decisions that you don’t like is feeble and pathetic. Complaining about referees has been a constant part of the game ever since the laws were first laid down. How the hell can you blame Moss because we let a deflected goal in against Everton? Take a good look at yourself.

You should look at yourself, you for weeks have been defending the refs when they have been patently wrong, so much so you could be taken as a troll. If you are not bright enough not to realise that refs decisions aren't crucial to any goal then it is a sorry situation. If the free kick that the linesman did not signal and was right by it, a former ref and also our manager found wrong had not been given the deflected goal would not have happened. Yes Bertrands should have booted the ball away, but it should nt have got to that stage. Even then the kick was not takne from the correct place

I'm not sure of that, but some like to be seen on the back pages more than others. The decisions will be at times just as bad.

A ref can by not doing his job properly make a result go against yu, the same as a defender slipping and letting the forward score

Nah mate, they are corrupt. Remember the home game against Liverpool a couple of season ago when we should have had a pen in the first minute (and a red card to them) and he bottled it? We are always on the wrong end of crap decisions because the prem refs are paid off. Trust me, it will come out in time. It;s the next scandal in waiting

Nah mate, they are corrupt. Remember the home game against Liverpool a couple of season ago when we should have had a pen in the first minute (and a red card to them) and he bottled it? We are always on the wrong end of crap decisions because the prem refs are paid off. Trust me, it will come out in time. It;s the next scandal in waiting
I doubt it, some just have favourites and get swayed by big clubs and players. We have been far too nice to opponents and refs, it gets us nowhere. Nasty teams get the results, being nice lets the refs do what they have been doing to us

perhaps a bit shy of being ridiculed

No ridicule meant, so sorry on that account. Just seemed a tad amusing that someone would wait 11 years to take the plunge. Actually, I'd like to know if Romeu is banned or not as well. Is he?

No ridicule meant, so sorry on that account. Just seemed a tad amusing that someone would wait 11 years to take the plunge. Actually, I'd like to know if Romeu is banned or not as well. Is he?
Whitey has looked up his law book and it seems I was correct that there is an amnesty and so Romeu will play

No yellow for Yoshida for first challenge. No foul by Redmond. Free kick 10/15 yards from where incident was.

Not bothered about extra time. Cedric was in the deck for at least a minute.

BUT Bertrand has to put that ball in row Z. He has to take responsibility. Very poor decision.

And by the look of Bertrand slumped on the pitch with head in hands he immediately took responsibility.

Seems some on here haven't grasped the potential damage Everton's late goal did. The harsh fact is that the extra two points would have meant a draw at Swansea would have been enough for us barring a massive swing in goal difference on the final day of the season.

Seems some on here haven't grasped the potential damage Everton's late goal did. The harsh fact is that the extra two points would have meant a draw at Swansea would have been enough for us barring a massive swing in goal difference on the final day of the season.
obviously it would be better to have had 2 extra points, but we are where we are and have to get on with it

Or, it gives us a bit of a safety net, as if we do win on Tuesday, Huddersfield know that a draw against Arsenal wouldn't be enough.

I guess it depends how you look at it, we're out of the drop zone and I'd have taken that after the Chelsea defeat. Things are still in our own hands.

I think you haven't grasped that in that scenario we'd have 36 and Swansea would be two points behind on 34.

So they could still beat Stoke on the last day and finish above us, goal difference or not, if we lose to City.

Of course 36 could well be enough anyway but Huddersfield still have 3 matches to play.

If we had won the danger would have been to go to Swansea with a mentaility that a draw is enough and get beaten. We now know that a win will keep us up. Change in psychology is not so bad. We are playing well and are on a mini run. Just have to keep it going.

This. A great result today. Win at Swansea and we’re nearly safe[emoji106]

seems you haven’t grasped basic maths either :-)

No sleep til Swansea

Can’t take much more of this. Knowing Saints we’ll draw and then go 1 up on City and Stoke 1 up on Swans. Then news will filter through that Swans equalized and we’ll ship 2 late goals to City, the last one, punched in by the referee at 90+10 while 2 City players are sitting on McCarthy.

Although very upsetting, I think a win at Swansea was always required. I don’t believe Huddersfield will lose their last 3 matches. Winner takes all on Tuesday it is. A draw will suit Swansea because they will beat Stoke.

This is the only consoling feature from that horrible late equaliser. I think its likely we would have needed the win at Swansea anyway.

I've grasped it. I think it's sending us down.

No sleep til Swansea

Can’t take much more of this. Knowing Saints we’ll draw and then go 1 up on City and Stoke 1 up on Swans. Then news will filter through that Swans equalized and we’ll ship 2 late goals to City, the last one, punched in by the referee at 90+10 while 2 City players are sitting on McCarthy.

:lol:

I dint think you’ve grasped the fact that Swansea will also gain a point if it’s a draw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why should we or any football fans have to "live with it". Why are they not held to account, why do they not have to come out to the press to explain their decisions after a game? Football is such a huge business now but the standard of refereeing still feels amateurish - key decisions can cost jobs, and I don't mean the highly paid players or managers. It is just wrong.

Exactly this. In North America they use video replays, and measure each game (basketball, hockey, am. football) to the second. Here we're amateurish with timekeeping and keep dragging our feet with VAR.

And to make it worse, here the consequences of shit ref decisions/timekeeping can be devastating: we all know the potential financial disaster of finishing bottom three in the PL. Ironically in North America where they're professional in reffing/timekeeping there are no negative consequences of finishing bottom (no relegation, and in fact the bottom clubs get rewarded with a high draft picks!)

Exactly this. In North America they use video replays, and measure each game (basketball, hockey, am. football) to the second. Here we're amateurish with timekeeping and keep dragging our feet with VAR.

And to make it worse, here the consequences of shit ref decisions/timekeeping can be devastating: we all know the potential financial disaster of finishing bottom three in the PL. Ironically in North America where they're professional in reffing/timekeeping there are no negative consequences of finishing bottom (no relegation, and in fact the bottom clubs get rewarded with a high draft picks!)

It’s weird isn’t it. Football clubs are a business and you could lose a lot of money due to a corrupt ref.

I know they’d never change it but I wonder how much time the ball is actually in play. Say it’s 60 minutes of the 90, a 2x30minute game with the clock stopping when the ball goes out would eliminate the guessing during added time.

Just musing here. The suspense probably adds to the game but it’s easy to feel hard done to when they seem to go until a big team scores or blow up early when a favoured team is ahead.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Do we also assume that Mike Dean will be taking a good look at himself after bottling the decision to send off Alonso ?

Oh and the ref who missed the Watford handball in the last minute ?

I guess we can’t blame him either??

Edited by eurosaint

Redmond did pretty well but we were crying out for him to take a pop with his left and after Yodhida went off he did just that (forced a save) but ironically it was probably an ideal situation to cut in and curl right footed into the corner.

Hughsey has him and Tadic playing much better, too bad the board shilly shallied until March to bring him in.

The fact that NO ENGLISH REFEREES ARE OFFICIATING AT THIS SUMMERS WORLD CUP should be a bloody damning inditement at the quality of officiating in the self proclaimed best league in the world, we have totally un accountable officials making multi million pound wrong decisions. As a collective they should be bloody ashamed that FIFA do not deem them fit enough to pollute the field of play in Russia.

Talking of officials since when have we become super dirty, it seems like the officials appointed for our games since Sparky has come in have been sponsored by Clinton’s!! Shane Long without doubt gets the short end of the stick from officials who have him marked as a diving feigning cheating toad, now it seems like Mark Hughes reputation as a manager of combative teams has all of a sudden marked us as a bunch of dirty toerags, case in point Maya gets a yellow for a 50/50 nothing challenge both players feet were up, yet Tosun can arrive late miss the ball and stud Romeu’s ankle in clear view of the Ref and gets absolutely F all in punishment. Anyone who says these things even up over a season is talking out of their backsides.

Considering the pressure the players are under, that was a disciplined steady controlled performance today which give a slither of hope. Bertie as Captain, please somebody tell me what he brings to the table. As for that last ball brain fart WTF there was no ****er in a red and white shirt anywhere near the vicinity of where you were aiming the ball.

Got to agree Whitey obviously no ref was ever going to see Tadic get elbowed at Man Utd (who would have been done to 10 men and a penalty for us) or the Watford player punch the ball in the net and of course the poor ref was unfortunately too close to see Alonso rake his studs down the back of the Shane Longs leg (the same Alonso who should have been sent off and had a hand in all three Chelsea goals, amazing the first one was a free kick from a foul that wasn't and taken in the wrong place). It would be easy to go on. All those silly pundits on MOTD also wrongly criticised the ref as they said it wasn't a foul by Redmond and taken in the wrong place. Decisions don't always go for the top sides and just because the foul count is Everton 14 and Saints 12 doesn't mean that Saints shouldn't have had 6 yellows [2 for Yoshi, how soft was the first one] and Everton 2 it is not down to the ref. (they must be running a book on how many can give Romeu a yellow as some have been very harsh). When my son became a ref I started to see it a bit from their side but yes I cannot hide I am being sarcastic and some terrible refereeing has costs us enough points this season to have seen us safe.

Well I think a lot of us were waiting for that last minute goal to happen, story of the season really.

As someone said earlier on, had McCarthy been brought into the side earlier in the season we would not be in this situation, likewise the same with Hughes. Had a decent replacement for Virgil been purchased in January the story would be different. All of these are fundamental errors of judgement which the fans could see but the powers that be didn't, whatever happens now surely heads should roll.

I still can’t believe Bertrand made that error at the end, dreadful from someone of his experience.

We can moan all we like about officials but if he had put that in row Z like he should have done, it was game over. Worst possible thing he could do was what he did, even just letting the ball run out of play would have been better!

Oh well, we have to move on now and take the positives, which are we still got a point and we are out of bottom 3 in advance of Swansea game. That means it’s clear what we need to do at Swansea, only a win will do, but if we get it we should be safe barring a big swing in goal difference. In some ways, it makes our strategy easier for Tuesday as we have to be positive now rather than going in thinking a draw may be enough. We are probably in a better position now than most of us thought we would be a couple of games ago, so we have to be thankful for that and that it’s still in our power to get out of this. Tuesday night is going to be tough to watch, but I think we have the capability in our squad to pull off a win.

That is ****ing cruel. 3 points and we’d have gone above Huddersfield and virtually been safe. Now we’re back under pressure against Swansea. All or nothing.

I’d have been happy with a point before the game too, but not like that...

We would have been “virtually safe”. Lose to Swansea and we would still be in the ****. Nothing has changed - we need to beat Swansea regardless of the equsliser.

I really believe that The footballing gods have given us the thumbs down. I know all the bull**** that you get the luck you deserve...it evens out over a season...you get refereeing deciosions for and any against ...but let's be honest we have got the rough end of the pineapple more often than not this season. I'm not saying we haven't been poor this season but for F***s we have been on the wrong end of some diabolical refereeing decisions and if we didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all. ..........it's the hope the hope that kills !!!!!