Everton 1 Saints 1

St Chalet

As gutted as everyone else, but context is everything.

On the way up it dawned on me we could end the day 4 points behind Swansea. We have ended the day with ahead on goal difference with things back in our hands.

2 weeks ago I wouldn’t have believed we would have got to this point.

Regarding the ref, 6 added mins was fair due to Cedric injury. That free kick against Redmond was utter inept ******** though and had it not been given we would have come home with 3 points. Jon Moss has directly cost us 4 points this season through bad officiating, if we go down he should be coming down with us (although I sincerely hope he is nowhere near whatever league we are in).

No sleep til Swansea

Can’t take much more of this. Knowing Saints we’ll draw and then go 1 up on City and Stoke 1 up on Swans. Then news will filter through that Swans equalized and we’ll ship 2 late goals to City, the last one, punched in by the referee at 90+10 while 2 City players are sitting on McCarthy.

...exactly this....having supported Saints for over 50 years I cannot remember a time when everything just goes against us. Rest assurance if we are 3 nil up against City the ref will find a way over sending off 5 Saints players, and adding 120 minutes of added time.

Well I think a lot of us were waiting for that last minute goal to happen, story of the season really.

As someone said earlier on, had McCarthy been brought into the side earlier in the season we would not be in this situation, likewise the same with Hughes. Had a decent replacement for Virgil been purchased in January the story would be different. All of these are fundamental errors of judgement which the fans could see but the powers that be didn't, whatever happens now surely heads should roll.

So true. And not to mention the mind-numbing incompetence of not bringing in goal-scorer over the past 4 windows (instead selling JRod, loaning out Gallagher, and spending £20m on the clown's mate, a League 2 level flop). Heads indeed need to roll, the leading ones being those 2 muppets Beaker and Bunsen.

I'm afraid history is repeating itself.

The Bertrand moment felt just like Crouch's back in 2005....against Everton, Where he should have taken the ball to the corner... didn't and then Everton scored with the last kick of the game to make it 2-2.

Forget the ref, the timing and Bertie but look to the completely unmarked Davis who scored the goal. We all know why he was unmarked, in that we were short of a body because of Yohsida's sending off.

Forget the ref, the timing and Bertie but look to the completely unmarked Davis who scored the goal. We all know why he was unmarked, in that we were short of a body because of Yohsida's sending off.

The ref shouldn't have given him his first yellow.

Ultimately it was yoshidas stupid tackle that put us in a position to be under pressure..... What was he thinking, as soon as we went to 10 Everton pressed us more.. you could see it coming

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Christ... the babyish comments on here!

1. Cedric went down in injury time for over a minute... the ref was right to play the amount of injury time he did. There is no conspiracy.

2. Yoshi was bloody unlucky. Genuinely going for the ball but got there a split second late. Was a yellow card all day long.

3. Bertie... was desperately trying to stop a throw in level with the 18 yard box but didn’t wrap his foot around it as he wanted to.

It’s heart breaking to concede that late in a game but it’s no one else’s fault, and there’s no conspiracy.

If we go down, it’ll be nothing to do with fortune over the last few games, it’s because we were absolute dog **** under Pellegrino.

Get over it and sing your hearts out over the last 2 games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As annoying as it was, the added time was totally correct. Cedric got injured as the board went up and I didn’t start timing on my watch until the goal kick was taken. They scored on 3 minutes 50 seconds of the added time.

I get the ‘the stoppage time was correct’ thing but it’s ****ing annoying because I can’t remember any game this season where we’ve been allowed to play beyond the allotted time because of what’s happened in that time. Every game against Chelsea/United/Arsenal/any of that lot, they’re making subs in stoppage time, wasting time at every opportunity, and the ref blows dead on time. It just isn’t applied normally, but twice this season (City away too) we’ve been killed because of a ref deciding to add it all on when we’re in a good position.

1. Cedric went down in injury time for over a minute... the ref was right to play the amount of injury time he did. There is no conspiracy.

2. Yoshi was bloody unlucky. Genuinely going for the ball but got there a split second late. Was a yellow card all day long.

3. Bertie... was desperately trying to stop a throw in level with the 18 yard box but didn’t wrap his foot around it as he wanted to.

It’s heart breaking to concede that late in a game but it’s no one else’s fault, and there’s no conspiracy.

If we go down, it’ll be nothing to do with fortune over the last few games, it’s because we were absolute dog **** under Pellegrino.

This.

Totally agree with the above. Only cause for complaint was the ghost foul given against Redmond right in front of the lino ( who's facial expression showed that he didn't even consider for a second it might have been a foul) then letting them take the freekick from miles away. If that wasn't given they'd never have got back up our end.

Although very upsetting, I think a win at Swansea was always required. I don’t believe Huddersfield will lose their last 3 matches. Winner takes all on Tuesday it is. A draw will suit Swansea because they will beat Stoke.

I'm not convinced Swansea will beat Stoke. Stoke will want to go out with a performance. They know that they are down but they'll still want to avoid going down bottom of the league.

We simply have to win at Swansea now, a draw will be enough for them against Stoke on the last day if we don't. That late goal will be the one that sends us down if we don't win. They can now afford two draws because City will win.

Thank you

COYR

Can't fault the effort and commitment, we made Everton look like a very poor side, until Yosh's sending off. Defensive mistakes have cost us yet again. Berties attempted hoof was the right decision but poorly executed. We will be up against it at Swansea for sure. We are getting no luck and certainly no breaks from referees at the moment, but the team are performing better under Hughes, although it may have come too late. We can't lose on Tuesday, at least a draw will take it to the last game and theres no certainty that Swansea will beat Stoke, or we will lose to City. Its what its all about folks !

We simply have to win at Swansea now, a draw will be enough for them against Stoke on the last day if we don't. That late goal will be the one that sends us down if we don't win. They can now afford two draws because City will win.

I think this can be seen as a positive, because I’m never comfortable with us playing tactically thinking that a draw may be enough for us, especially not with our current defence! At least now it should be clear in everyone’s minds that we are going for the win, end of. It’s Swansea who will have more of a dilemma as to how positive they should be.

One thing I really do hope is that we learn from yesterday that if we get in front, we need to push again for the second goal. One goal in front going into the last few minutes will always leave yourself open to one individual error or balls up from officials or unlucky deflection (or all 3!) costing you. We don’t have the mental or defensive strength at the moment to see games out in these circumstances so we need to make sure we take advantage of our superiority in games and get more than 1 ahead.

Not winning this match has really nothing to do with our chances getting ahead of Swansea, we always had to beat them. It was everything to do with getting ahead of Hudders. We'd be ahead of them right now, which means if they lost out we'd be in.

I'm not convinced Swansea will beat Stoke. Stoke will want to go out with a performance. They know that they are down but they'll still want to avoid going down bottom of the league.

Stoke’s supporters might be OK with losing to Swansea on the weekend if it means doing one on Mark Hughes. They seem quite bitter about him.

Stoke’s supporters might be OK with losing to Swansea on the weekend if it means doing one on Mark Hughes. They seem quite bitter about him.

Their supporters wishes away from home will make zero difference to what happens on the pitch

Maybe if we didn't try to get results by the finest of margins, incidents like this would not matter. What will happen if we take the lead st Swansea ? We all know what the game plan will involve,and apart from the odd game this season,we will fail to see it through.

What is the last thing Swansea would want in that position,a team sitting back or one trying to kill them off. We are an easy,predictable side to play against.

I think Hughes comments about Moss the ref were a riot:

"The assistant referee is about two or three yards away and clearly sees it isn't a foul but Jon Moss, as he usually is, about 30 yards behind play, decided to give a free-kick.

"To compound that situation he allows them to take it from the wrong position, 10 to 15 yards ahead, and at that point we are still arguing about whether it should have been a free run on goal for ourselves."

"Asked whether he has spoken to Moss, Hughes replied: "What's the point? He's probably getting his breath back."

Thing is, is not only was it not a foul and they then took from nowhere near where it was supposed to be taken but Redmond is completely free attacking their box with Long in support and only 1 defender left covering at this point so we easily could have gone and scored the second.

Terrible refereeing, he gave them every chance to get back into the game, which looks very dodgy IMO.

Thing is, is not only was it not a foul and they then took from nowhere near where it was supposed to be taken but Redmond is completely free attacking their box with Long in support and only 1 defender left covering at this point so we easily could have gone and scored the second.

Terrible refereeing, he gave them every chance to get back into the game, which looks very dodgy IMO.

wheres Whitey he swore last night that he had rewatched it and the ball was right where it should have been. Motd must be wrong with their technology , showing how far forward it was taken, even though it wasn't a freekick. A ref is never wrong in his opinion

Put into context, thankfully 1 point instead of 3 hasn't really killed us. I hope Sparky will have emphasised that to the players as they have no reason to beat themselves up over the result yesterday.

We go to Swansea with a chance of effectively saving ourselves before the City game. Quite incredible in the context of the past few months' rubbish football.

wheres Whitey he swore last night that he had rewatched it and the ball was right where it should have been. Motd must be wrong with their technology , showing how far forward it was taken, even though it wasn't a freekick. A ref is never wrong in his opinion

That old **** was probably looking at a fish tank thinking it was the TV.

Just skim read what's on this page, and as frustrated as everyone else.

So close to the win. Very harsh to give Yoshi either yellow. Ref wrong to give the foul against Redmond, and yes it was taken from the wrong place. But even after all that we would have won had Bertrand let the ball go out of play at the end. A throw-in was not a big deal, so why was he desperate to keep it in? Was there a saints player upfield that he hoped to reach with the clearance? Because - as we all saw - it led directly to the goal. Unlucky on Hoedt but someone should have got close to the ball before he shot it. Yes, a man down, I know they can't be everywhere.

Have to win at Swansea now, although Hudds have proved you can park the bus against Citeh and take a point. However, I hope we know our destiny before the Citeh game.

I think this can be seen as a positive, because I’m never comfortable with us playing tactically thinking that a draw may be enough for us, especially not with our current defence! At least now it should be clear in everyone’s minds that we are going for the win, end of. It’s Swansea who will have more of a dilemma as to how positive they should be.

One thing I really do hope is that we learn from yesterday that if we get in front, we need to push again for the second goal. One goal in front going into the last few minutes will always leave yourself open to one individual error or balls up from officials or unlucky deflection (or all 3!) costing you. We don’t have the mental or defensive strength at the moment to see games out in these circumstances so we need to make sure we take advantage of our superiority in games and get more than 1 ahead.

The trouble is even when two up we have contrived to let it slip i cite watford and chelsea as examples!

Like Hojbjerg before Chelsea's first goal Redmond had the ball but jumped in frustration and left the ball free. He should have picked it up and put it in the corner. Therefore he allowed the free kick to be taken rather than pushing it back and delaying it. Bertrand should have hit the ball into row Z. By the time it gets thrown in the defence is formed up and the game is over. It's what the top sides do. We need to educate the players.

Like Hojbjerg before Chelsea's first goal Redmond had the ball but jumped in frustration and left the ball free. He should have picked it up and put it in the corner. Therefore he allowed the free kick to be taken rather than pushing it back and delaying it. Bertrand should have hit the ball into row Z. By the time it gets thrown in the defence is formed up and the game is over. It's what the top sides do. We need to educate the players.

It was a few tiny little errors, and one great big one from Bertrand that cost us.

If you remember about 30 secs prior to Redmond getting in down the right PEH ran into the corner on the left. He knocked the ball out for a throw, I thought he should have protected it better, got his arse in the way, fell on it, played it off one of them. He gave it up a bit too easy for my liking. As you say Redmond should have stood on the ball, stopped them taking it. I felt the keeper as well as he did, maybe didn't quite connect 100%, had he done so it would have been a throw in as Bertrand couldn't of got to it. And finally Wes was like Bambi on ice as it deflected off him. Unlucky, undoubtedly, but these things happen to ungainly panicky defenders. Harsh I know, and any goal can be dissected into moments with slight errors in the lead up. But I would bet my bottom dollar that a side with a few hardened grizzled old pros wouldn't have conceded that particular goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbed. Extra minute and a half on top of injury time for no reason.

"No reason" other than Cedric having treatment for 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 6 seconds of which had elapsed after the minimum of 4 indicated on the board when they scored.

I know, because I timed the added period, and noted the stoppage duration, and my 4 minute timer was showing minus 1 minute 9 when the goal went in.

Having said all that, ref could have blown with the ball out wide which was past the 5 minute mark.

He only added even more time after the goal to allow the kick off to be taken, which it has to be according to the laws.

It was a few tiny little errors, and one great big one from Bertrand that cost us.

If you remember about 30 secs prior to Redmond getting in down the right PEH ran into the corner on the left. He knocked the ball out for a throw, I thought he should have protected it better, got his arse in the way, fell on it, played it off one of them. He gave it up a bit too easy for my liking.

That was right in front of us and I thought he could have done a lot better too. Literally just ran into the corner and poked it off the pitch, he didn't have to do anything other than "not that"... still, no individual blame after a fantastic performance when we dominated for 95 minutes...

The number of Everton fans after the game to apologise for scoring was quite something! Great support from Saints fans, keep that level of passion up on Tuesday.

As others have said, now the dust has settled, we have had a good weekend and now know a win Tuesday keeps us up barring a mathematical freak

The number of Everton fans after the game to apologise for scoring was quite something! Great support from Saints fans, keep that level of passion up on Tuesday.

As others have said, now the dust has settled, we have had a good weekend and now know a win Tuesday keeps us up barring a mathematical freak

I was sat on a wall eating a kebab on County Road in Walton with my Saints shirt on. If Saints had a point for every Everton fan that said to me that we deserved to win/apologised/said we should stay up, we'd be in Europe again next season. Mind you, even if we had a point for every bloke with his shirt off that looked like he didn't know anything about football but was going to kill me we'd be above Huddersfield too.

If you remember about 30 secs prior to Redmond getting in down the right PEH ran into the corner on the left. He knocked the ball out for a throw, I thought he should have protected it better, got his arse in the way, fell on it, played it off one of them. He gave it up a bit too easy for my liking. As you say Redmond should have stood on the ball, stopped them taking it. I felt the keeper as well as he did, maybe didn't quite connect 100%, had he done so it would have been a throw in as Bertrand couldn't of got to it. And finally Wes was like Bambi on ice as it deflected off him. Unlucky, undoubtedly, but these things happen to ungainly panicky defenders. Harsh I know, and any goal can be dissected into moments with slight errors in the lead up. But I would bet my bottom dollar that a side with a few hardened grizzled old pros wouldn't have conceded that particular goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gobsmacked by that. He should have been looking to get into the corner and play it off the defender if possible for a corner. Putting it out like that shows he has learned nothing from his naïve stupidity against Chelsea. Even when I played forty odd years ago I would have been trying to sucker the defender and in Bertrand's case put the ball out of play as far away as possible. I once got booked in the last minute for kicking it out of the ground from a couple of yards inside the touchline. Ungentlemanly conduct he said, did I care, the game was over by the time they got the ball replaced. I was an amateur these are international professionals, I despair. Chelsea yesterday hanging on at the end similar position the ball ended up in the back of the stand, Conte signalled a substitution, (we didn't have one) and it took a minute and fifteen seconds to restart. It would have taken twenty seconds to take the throw and everybody marked up.

Whilst on the subject of intelligent defending, Yoshida dives in far too often stupidly and late in positions that don't warrant that sort of challenge and gives away free kicks. Closing down tight without contact is a far better option. His innocuous foul that led to Alonso's free kick winner for Chelsea away. He's another international FFS. Benali said you have to judge how dangerous the position is before diving in, not just dive in every time.

Edited by derry

I wasn’t going to bother but here I am and this is in way of an explanation. MOTD put their white cross in the wrong place, which is not unusual for them. They put it where the ball was when the whistle was blown, which is a common misconception, but that’s not where Moss considered the foul to have taken place, which was where Redmond grabbed at Funes Mori’s arm. Granted, this was out nearer the touch line but the position that the kick was taken from was no nearer our goal.

One important aspect is that Redmond is busy complaining to the referee instead of facing up to them and preventing them taking it quickly and this will have distracted Moss at that precise moment. Up at that end of the pitch no official is going to get overly concerned about a few yards either way.

The referee thought it was a free kick which is all that mattered. You might think otherwise, I might not have given it, but many others would. The fact that the Assistant didn’t flag is not relevant. They will only flag for obvious fouls where they think the ref might have missed it, and having flagged a ref will not overrule them. In most cases these decisions are left to the referee which is why the Assistant has a flag but the ref has a whistle.

Timekeeping. The match had been stopped at 90 minutes and restarted at 91:25.

There are several footballing maxims but the most important are ‘play to the whistle’ and ‘the ref is not always right, but he’s never wrong’

We paid the price for having Yoshida sent off, and there’s nobody else to blame for that, and for Bertrand not only keeping the ball in play but passing it back to them and then being out of position when they played it forward.

This sums it up...

b7901edc520d7f1ff8557131f9249095.jpg

Obviously the linesman was too close and if you look at it from his angle he couldn't see the foot of green grass between the ball and the line. It's the angle of the camera that makes it look obvious :lol:

I am sure Whitey can defend this one! Me I am getting a bit concerned we have upset the establishment by trying to get to the top six a few years ago. I blame this season on a number of reasons. 1. Puel leaving an ailing side 2. Pellegrino contriving to make it worse. 3. The poison in the camp instigated by a striking van **** and lastly the board for not getting a grip earlier and making changes (where are all the it was wrong to sack Puel journalists now. He has shown he can come in and have a good start with an already decent squad the proceeds to train the football and spirit out of them). The officiating I will leave out because everyone says it balances itself out so as it has been so bad this season we should have a good season coming up:smug:

Edited by Saints4Prem