Swansea v Saints - Pre Match Thread.

simo

Can’t see it. Blew it against Everton.

They will be a lot better than Everton were and Stephens will be in the middle of a back 3

It’s over, you have to win when you have seconds left and leading in a game

We're in trouble here. big trouble.

We have to beat Swansea. Out last game is Man City.

Swansea can draw against us. Their last game is vs the worst team in the league.

On top of that the players have just received a hammer blow to their morale whilst Swansea have had a huge lift.

The point is irrelevant outside of that simple scenario.

beat Swansea or we are down.... and Swansea know it.

I think we're ****ed sadly.

Swansea can draw against us. Their last game is vs the worst team in the league.

On top of that the players have just received a hammer blow to their morale whilst Swansea have had a huge lift.

Yeah, I'm sure Swansea will be delighted that they lost again...!

A terrible performance and losing to Bournemouth today is not a huge lift for Swansea. Our result isn't much of a confidence boost for them, we are playing better than they are.

To be fair you could have said most of that even if we had won against Everton. Any positive result for Swansea would have either left them two points behind or put them one point ahead and with each teams last match they would have been favourites.

If we win they will need to turn round at least an 8 goal difference, not very likely.

Beat them and we're safe, right?

Barring a huge goal swing (assuming we get beaten by City).

36 points for us, 33 for them with at least a +8 better GD. And then you have Hudders too.

Basically if we win, it's a final day showdown between Huddersfield and Swansea.

Beat them we stay up.

Don't, don't.

As pretty much as simple as it needs to be put! There's always talk of must win games, but this is actually one of those. There's no corner to hide behind now. This is the last chance we have to pickup points this season.

If we beat Swansea the goal difference swing needed for them to overtake us would at minimum be 9 on the final day.

With us palying Man City, that's unfortuntley not beyond the realms of possibility. Albeit unlikley.

Swansea don't need to win

They do if they want a decent chance of it being in their own hands. A draw would leave them vulnerable due to us and our significantly better GD. A victory admittedly against Man City at St Mary's for us and there is very little Swansea could do about it in their own game.

With us palying Man City, that's unfortuntley not beyond the realms of possibility. Albeit unlikley.
Is it that unlikely? Swansea beat Stoke 3-0 and we get beat 6-0 by City? Not that improbable. Though I think it'll be over Tuesday night anyway. We'll never win.

I’m trying to avoid being too gloomy after that kick in the nuts by Everton. A few weeks ago I was hoping we’d be breathing down Swansea’s necks heading into this game. Instead, we’re ahead on goal difference. I would have taken this, if it was offered back then. Swansea can’t be feeling too good about themselves after losing to Bournemouth.

Win and it would take a very big swing in GD to see them finish ahead. We’re not done yet.

The gods know who will be relegated and quite frankly If we were to of avoid relegation then Bertrand would of blasted that into touch or the deflected shot would of gone wide.

Think we keep cheating relegation and it’s going to catch up with us either Tuesday or Sunday.

Deflating to know that after 95 minutes of today's game we were probably safe as we'd have been above Huddersfield, but we can't hold grudges and we go again against Swansea. Simply a must win now as we can't rely on us to get anything against City.

The team will be weaker though with no Yoshida or Romeu, and possibly Lemina so we need each player to be at their best. Midfield looks weak though.

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Lemina/JWP

Redmond

Tadic

Long

I think we would all have taken that after the Chelsea game.

Exactly. We’ve won at Swansea more times than we’ve lost in recent years. Even if we draw the team is capable of getting something vs City and Stoke won’t roll over.

That said, a loss and we are ****ed.

The team will be weaker though with no Yoshida or Romeu, and possibly Lemina so we need each player to be at their best. Midfield looks weak though.

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Lemina/JWP

Redmond

Tadic

Long

Romeu is not suspended. There is an amnesty for yellow cards suspensions in the final weeks of the season and that has past...

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions

Exactly. We’ve won at Swansea more times than we’ve lost in recent years. Even if we draw the team is capable of getting something vs City and Stoke won’t roll over.

That said, a loss and we are ****ed.

Two draws might just do it. Lose to Swansea and we need to beat City and hope.

I am so looking forward to this one. I'll be there with my 10-year-old lad, giving everything I can to help the boys to victory. Two or three weeks ago, I would have been ****eing myself over this, but I am actually confident that we can go there and pick up a win. It is down to us now, so let's give it a damn good go.

Trying to work this out.

It did not matter whether we won at Everton tonight (Forget Huddersfield in this)

The point means that if we win at Swansea then we are safe, full stop!!

If we had got all 3 points tonight and a draw vs Swansea means they can overtake us if they beat Stoke.

Our point tonight has put us in pole position right?

Trying to work this out.

It did not matter whether we won at Everton tonight (Forget Huddersfield in this)

If we had got all 3 points tonight and a draw vs Swansea means they can overtake us if they beat Stoke.

Yes. As frustrating as the draw was today, Swansea was always a must win game after a Stoke got relegated.

Carvahal notorious for being cautious in big games. If we can get at them from the off I’m confident - however with recent events we’d need to score at least twice (which makes it barmy to think I’d advocate dropping Austin for Long).

If there's one team worse off than us at the moment, it's Swansea.

I'm actually sat here thinking we should win this one, even the state we're in this season.

Yup, we're the favourites. We needed to win against Bournemouth and the players delivered, just got to hope they can step up to the plate again when we need to get all three points.

Trying to work this out.

Unless we get really tonked by Man City, in which case it's possible a win against Swansea might not be enough.

Swing it round the other way for a second. What if we'd just snatched a last second draw against Everton to pull us out of the relegation zone?

Just trying to put a tiny positive spin on it. Today's results gave us a tiny, tiny buffer of which this draw was. Win Tuesday, simple as that. No going into the game needing a draw, holding for a point, just try and score as many goals as you've ever scored. Let a few in probably, but just make sure you come out on top.

Swing it round the other way for a second. What if we'd just snatched a last second draw against Everton to pull us out of the relegation zone?

Just trying to put a tiny positive spin on it. Today's results gave us a tiny, tiny buffer of which this draw was. Win Tuesday, simple as that. No going into the game needing a draw, holding for a point, just try and score as many goals as you've ever scored. Let a few in probably, but just make sure you come out on top.

Make a good point. I did not expect is to get anything but when you are a few seconds from a win against a team playing badly, it is points dropped.

Make a good point. I did not expect is to get anything but when you are a few seconds from a win against a team playing badly, it is points dropped.

Absolutley, it's a numbing result. But after the dust settles, todays results have been amazing and gave us a tiny buffer. A defeat today would have been a ****ter, but at least it's now 100% clear what we need to do.

Might turn out to be a blessing in disguise when we're looking back on it.

I like the chances of a Southampton trying to win against Swansea better than the chances of a Southampton thinking a draw against them might be enough.

Trying to work this out.

I sort of agree. We will need to be more positive and go for it. A win tonight would have made us more cautious and likely go for a draw which can be dangerous. Of course we are all assuming we get nothing against MC and I am sure we can't get a result if we play the way we have been over the last few games.