Swansea v Saints - Pre Match Thread.

simo

Fair enough - I take your point about JWP's set pieces - but beyond that there's just not enough attacking or defensive impact; whereas with Lemina and even Hojbjerg there is that capacity for driving runs, and quicker movement into dangerous areas rather than just the shuttling of passes and delayed hopeful crosses. Goals of the style of the Tadic brace and the Redmond header is what we need against Swansea not just the hope of a goal resulting from a corner or a free kick, as welcome as that would be.

I agree with your point about Lemina, unconvinced by Hojbjerg doing anything like that (but they can't all play back there, can they?). We're a bit less predictable at the moment, partially the different formation, partially more pace to our passing and more movement, partially just Tadic's impact. As I say, it's not a hill to die on, they're much of a muchness.

FWIW I usually watch the match back if I've recorded it, I just can't bring myself to do that this time... and I watched the Chelsea League match twice. :?

The FA has asked Hughes to explain his post-match comments following the ref’s extremely professional and competent performance in the Everton game...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/06/fa-likely-ask-mark-hughes-explain-comments-referee-jon-moss/

Don't need to ask Hughes..can't they just watch the replay to why he said the comments?

JWP's best position seems to have been alongside Romeu and he's hardly played there this season.

Because he's totally unsuited to central midfield in grown up football. He can't tackle or run and is physically lightweight.

On the occasions he's turned out for Saints in the middle of the park, the game has bypassed him entirely at both ends of the pitch.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The biggest match this club has faced since 2005.

Winner takes all. I feel bloody awful.

But winning this gfame will count for nought if we carry on regardless with the same board set-up and strategy during the summer; all we will have done is postpone the inevitable for a year.

But winning this gfame will count for nought if we carry on regardless with the same board set-up and strategy during the summer; all we will have done is postpone the inevitable for a year.

I would not worry about that as I think Gao will shake it up and get rid of the numpties at the club.

It's going to be incredibly tense to watch. The dream is we despatch a brace early, silence the crowd, flatten the Swans and dominate for the rest of the game with the "we are staying up" chant pulsating from the away stand. The stakes are so high! A little luck would go a long way too.

The FA has asked Hughes to explain his post-match comments following the ref’s extremely professional and competent performance in the Everton game...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/06/fa-likely-ask-mark-hughes-explain-comments-referee-jon-moss/

The article doesn't say that, the author simply suggests they will. Hope they do to be fair, they might learn if Sparky gets a chance to explain. We have to end this attitude of unto hability of referees, some of them, Moss in particular are simply not good enough, whatever Whitey might say.

Not quite winner takes all, but close. I'm just desperate for a stress-relieving win making us safe, barring a last day meltdown.

But it'll probably be a draw and next Sunday will be full of Hope before final heartbreak.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We have to start fast and get their crowd nervous. No doubt they'll be thinking the same thing so it could be a frantic start to the game.

I think I'd play the same team as Saturday and just bring in Stephens for Yoshi. Admittedly that defence looks poor but at least it gives us an extra man than a 2 man partnership.

FWIW, bookies have us as favourites.

The comment about Moss being 30 yards away is fairly accurate, they only need look at the replays. He will get done for the “getting his breath back” remark.

Its pathetic really. It’s a rule that managers have to face the press minutes after a game finishes when emotions are at their highest then a couple if wrong words and boom, a fine.

The article doesn't say that, the author simply suggests they will. Hope they do to be fair, they might learn if Sparky gets a chance to explain. We have to end this attitude of unto hability of referees, some of them, Moss in particular are simply not good enough, whatever Whitey might say.

I'm quite torn on this one. I can't stand the constant spoilt child behaviour of players moaning at the ref over every single decision in every game you ever watch, not to mention the constant diving, cheating and play acting to con the officials It leaves a sour taste and doesn't actually help the ref do his job properly. And managers moaning every week just reinforces this sort of behaviour.

On the other hand, I'm fed up with appalling decisions. We picked up 2 points from Watford, Everton and Chelsea, and should have had 9. It's really not good enough. And in this era where clubs with huge infrastructures and countless people on the payroll (not the players,l they're a bunch of mercenaries anyway) it affects people's livelihoods. People At st Mary's and staplewood will be losing their jobs in a week if we go down.

I guess we just need to hope we survive and get var in Asap. It's not perfect but has got to be better than what we have today.

Edited by Chewy
Typo

It's going to be incredibly tense to watch. The dream is we despatch a brace early, silence the crowd, flatten the Swans and dominate for the rest of the game with the "we are staying up" chant pulsating from the away stand. The stakes are so high! A little luck would go a long way too.

No, No and once again NO!! That is so Tin Pot........ celebrating not being relegated because luckily there were 3 worse teams over the course of the season.

Cheer, sing and bring the roof down .... but not that pile of pony song purlease!!

It's going to be an awful thing to watch one way or the other.

And it'll definitely be the last game I watch this season as well.

Will be on a plane to Singapore when the Man City match kicks off, and won't land until about three hours after it ends.

Don't think I will cope if I have to be worrying about that result.

I would not worry about that as I think Gao will shake it up and get rid of the numpties at the club.

This is the bigger picture, yes. If staying up by the skin of our teeth means business as previous, no changes, then I would take relegation, a clear out at board and player level. Prefer us to come again next season with young hungry players from the academy, keen to prove themselves.

For me I would go 433, Tadic Redmond and Austin as the front 3, Romeu Lemina and Hojberg in the middle, we have to eliminate playing Stephens.

Unless Hughes wants to play safe and play counter attacking then he could go Tadic Long Redmond, but for me Redmond vs Bmouth and Everton has showed some great confidence and deserves a chance to start, that flick over the Bmouth player to lead the counter attack has gone missed by some fans, plus his impact vs EFC was great.

Biggest game of the season, WIN your safe, draw your clutching on lose and we are down despite it not being mathmatically official.

Suspect it'll be 5 at the back again:

------------------------McCarthy--------------------------

--Cedric---Stephens---Bednarek---Hoedt-----Bertrand--

---------------------Romeu--Lemina(if fit)---------------

--------------Tadic--------------------------Redmond----

--------------------------Austin---------------------------

An absolute travesty that we've ended up with those 3 as our centre-backs. I can see the argument of playing Long, but we might not get many chances and I think if we all had the choice of which striker that one-on-one or clear-cut chance falls to, we'd want it to be Austin.

It's going to be f_cking excruciating. Win or bust. Can't see us having enough unfortunately = 1-1.

Can't see what there is for him to explain, he spelled it out in black and white exactly as can be seen on the match replays. The ref cocked up big time for whatever reasons so the dear old FA are once again looking after their own rather than accept their ref got it wrong. If I were Hughes I'd tell them to G off.

I never expected to find myself saying this but I would start with Redmond. They struggled with pace against Bournemouth, so tell him when he gets the ball just run at them direct. When he doesn’t have to think he’s better :lol:

For what it’s worth...

I shall be there and I expect to see us thrash them. Whatever the result I shall be defying doctor’s order and either wildly celebrating or drowning my sorrows afterwards. I am staying the night at the Grand Hotel near the station and if anybody knows which boozers we shall be frequenting it might save me an extended walk.

If you do happen to see a kindly old man with white hair then please don’t be afraid to come up and say hello. Just please don’t hit me with a white stick ;)

For what it’s worth...

I shall be there and I expect to see us thrash them. Whatever the result I shall be defying doctor’s order and either wildly celebrating or drowning my sorrows afterwards. I am staying the night at the Grand Hotel near the station and if anybody knows which boozers we shall be frequenting it might save me an extended walk.

If you do happen to see a kindly old man with white hair then please don’t be afraid to come up and say hello. Just please don’t hit me with a white stick ;)

Quite a few more of us Salisbury and London Saints in the Grand tools will look out for you

We will be frequentlng Spoons and No Sign Bar in Wind St pre match and most likely afterwards we get to Swansea, we are getting there on train just before 3pm

Just read they have only lost at home to Spurs and Chelsea under the new Manager.......can’t bear this when you add up all the points taken from us by dodgy decisions - Chelsea 3, Watford 2 and Everton 2 and they say it evens itself up

Quite a few more of us Salisbury and London Saints in the Grand tools will look out for you

We will be frequentlng Spoons and No Sign Bar in Wind St pre match and most likely afterwards we get to Swansea, we are getting there on train just before 3pm

Thanks, I am going by train too and shall probably get there about the same time.

Leaving Cornwall at 2.30pm for this one and making use of the Felindre Park and Ride. I’m optimistic of us getting a win and even my 10-year-old lad (who is the most pessimistic Saints fan) thinks we can do it! I just hope we both have something to cheer come 9.45pm tomorrow night.

For what it’s worth...

Will you be wearing a ref's kit and carrying a whistle?

Paul Merson:

This is a cup final and as big as a Championship play-off final game - whoever wins, you would have to say is safe. Huddersfield will be sweating on Swansea winning this game as they have Stoke at home in their final game, while Southampton have Man City at home.

Swansea have gone off the boil a bit though and they have tried to stick a few times - when you get these free swings, you are better off just going for it and gambling, instead of just playing to nick a draw.

But at the end of the day, Swansea could win this game and stay up because of their goal difference, with them having not been smashed by other teams, so it is a bit of a catch-22.

The game they will be kicking themselves about is Everton at home, which they dominated and they were by far the better team.

If Southampton draw, they are out of it, but Swansea have two home games now. However, Swansea are good at home and have decent players, and I think Southampton have to win - they will not want to go into the final match against one of the greatest Premier League teams of all time needing to win.

Southampton are playing well at the moment, they were good against Bournemouth, even though they were hanging on a bit at the end, and then they were unlucky against Everton.

However, I am going to go for Swansea to win - I am going to forget their last few results, which were hard fixtures, and say they will win at home. And if it is 1-1 with 20 minutes to go, I do not see all-out attack from Swansea as I think they will take their chance on beating Stoke at home.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1 to Swansea.

While I share your contempt for the board and for them to be gone, if we survive we'll have a big advantage next year, even if Reed and Co. are still here: we won't have the clown managing us for 30 matches. That'll be worth an extra 10 points at least.

Unless of course Beaker and Bunsen double down and go for another attempted Pochettino clone, a 40-something Argentinian with nice hair, coaching ability be damned.

Just read they have only lost at home to Spurs and Chelsea under the new Manager.......can’t bear this when you add up all the points taken from us by dodgy decisions - Chelsea 3, Watford 2 and Everton 2 and they say it evens itself up

Their manager is know for staying well at clubs then losing it badly. Let's hope the tide has turned

I am an optimist for tomorrow. Swansea are not in good form, struggle to score goals and I think we are playing well with the bit between our teeth. Always difficult to win away in the Premier League. I wonder though whether on this occasion the pressure of the situation may mean being at home is not an advantage.

I am going to miss the game because of work. I will be in San Diego giving a presentation to a group of customers just as we kick off. I have already been told by my work colleagues they will be holding cards up from the back of the room with the score as the match goes on!! Roll on tomorrow afternoon (my time) when I can watch a reply hopefully in the knowledge that we have won.

What worries me most about tomorrow night is not our back line without Yoshi but that we have no alternative striker to the two useless bankers Austin & Long.

Where is/are our goal(s) coming from now that Redmond and Tadic have scored their seasons quotas. We won't win if the ball doesn't go into their net - obvious? - and that is the biggest barrier to us staying up. We cannot score goals! Had we been 2-0 on Saturday the late error would not have mattered at all which people seem to forget.

What worries me most about tomorrow night is not our back line without Yoshi but that we have no alternative striker to the two useless bankers Austin & Long.

Where is/are our goal(s) coming from now that Redmond and Tadic have scored their seasons quotas. We won't win if the ball doesn't go into their net - obvious? - and that is the biggest barrier to us staying up. We cannot score goals! Had we been 2-0 on Saturday the late error would not have mattered at all which people seem to forget.

Hmmm. I am more positive than you. We have to go for a win. I think we will get it as well. We will finish 17th. Said it from day one.

Gabbiadini is the alternative (technically so is Carrillo ;))

Where is/are our goal(s) coming from now that Redmond and Tadic have scored their seasons quotas.

How have you determined that?

We won't win if the ball doesn't go into their net - obvious? - and that is the biggest barrier to us staying up. We cannot score goals!
The following clubs have not scored more Premier League goals this season than Southampton...

Burnley

Newcastle

Watford

Brighton

Huddersfield

Swansea

West Brom

Stoke City

Had we been 2-0 on Saturday the late error would not have mattered at all which people seem to forget.

Perhaps they haven't 'forgotten it'... because it is blatantly obvious.

Just for this game I've decided to try hard drugs. Any reccomendations?
Whatever you find, ill take it.

My train arriving at 1430 after the scenic mid-Wales line. Was supposed to be a relaxing end of season day out. [emoji852]️ Staying over at the Ibis. I cannot face this sober.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk