Finally, the long-overdue 2018/19 kit thread...

The9

Does the 3rd kit have red shorts? Personally I think white shorts would look smarter with it.

Dunno, but we've worn red alternate ones for the past two seasons with our home kit (Europe in Milan and with third kit v Bournemouth and Man U in 16/17 and Newcastle in 17/18 ). Doubt we'll have white alt shorts with it when the point of it is to reduce the amount of white in what is effectively a reworked home kit.

Yes because people usually confuse Red and White stripes with Yellow and Black stripes...

It's got black shorts and depending on whether the Premier League is using the dark/light contrast rules could be seen to be too similar. Obviously it isn't, but contrast isn't colour/hue.

It's just to try and drum up some interest, get us thinking that it's all been one been troll from the club. Creates the uncertainty that the leak has prevented.

It'll clearly be the leaked shirt, it's for sale on the Under Armour website FFS, and I highly doubt they'd be in on it too.

At the risk of looking like a complete mug (again ;) ) I agree. They're acknowledging it to create doubt, and it's working. My only doubt is that both leaks are from Under Armour directly "accidentally" releasing something, but tbh that works perfectly well for getting virals out there anyway.

If it's a deliberate strategy it's been very well done, because there's still a few things to unveil to keep interest (away shirt, all three socks colours and third shorts). Thing is the second leak also put some training kit out there which could have been advertised without anyone caring one way or another - at least it's nice again this year.

I'd also point out that the G.O.A.T. Greatest of all time reference is about the kit launch, not the kit itself. Tbh Benali as Yoda and Le Tiss holding a goat already makes it amazing. :lol: Good of them not to use any current players as well, low risk strategy.

Edited by The9

IF it proves to be that this design is not the actual one for this season maybe it was a prototype / mock up used as an option with other designs? Seems a lot of trouble to go to otherwise.

Does anyone know if 2, 3 or more design options are actually made up in material to show the club 'in the flesh' to decide which design they choose?

They definitely do that. I've seen a few older ones for sale on eBay. Even so...

If it's all a trick then fair play to the club. The Australian photo could easily be staged, as could the link up on the site.

As Garrevito says, no one seems to have actually bought it.

Let's see.

It was shared by Global Saints on Facebook, so they'd have had to have been in on it too...

But tbh I'm just expecting them to reveal what we already know, tongue in cheek as the GOAT ad campaign because they have evidently thrown that video together at the last minute in response to the leaks. Not to mention they're revealing it on a day with four World Cup matches when no-one will be paying attention to the Saints kit launch.

Or they could be making the whole thing up for virals and lolz and stuff, but Occam's Razor and all that. Add the OS leak to the same pile in that case.

Edited by The9

Weirdly just found this Googling, which was in the 2016/17 kit thread and looks surprisingly like the "new" design.

saints_kit_2016_17.JPG

It has also just occurred to me that the GOAT with Le Tissier could also be a reference to the red/white with black pinstripes either side that Le Tiss was wearing in the last competitive match at The Dell (as well as the following two seasons at St Mary's), which are recreated on the front of the new shirt. But maybe I should just go to bed, I need to get drunk watching too much football tomorrow. :)

Dunno what's going on with the thumbnail, I already deleted the source.

southampton_1983-1984.gif

Edited by The9

See post 361 - an Australian supporter was pictured wearing the new shirt.

I can’t see the point in going to all this effort for a hoax. The simplest answer is probably the most likely - someone at UA screwed up.

I'm also in Australia and can't see any way he'd get his hands on one here to be honest

Admittedly it doesn't look so bad on the players. Still won't be buying it though.

Now, a yellow and blue kit could be a different story! Yeeeeeellllloooowwwwwsss!!!

I'm also in Australia and can't see any way he'd get his hands on one here to be honest

Maybe he got it in Hong Kong then travelled home to Australia. Pretty easy to do in 2018 :)

516 posts on what shirts we're going to be wearing. Wow. Seriously, why does it matter to what the shirts look like?

Adds post to highlight number of posts. :mcinnes:

By your logic, who cares about anything? nothing that happens at a football club impacts your life directly unless you work for them. If people are interested in football shirts, let them be. It causes you no harm.

Weirdly just found this Googling, which was in the 2016/17 kit thread and looks surprisingly like the "new" design.

saints_kit_2016_17.JPG

It has also just occurred to me that the GOAT with Le Tissier could also be a reference to the red/white with black pinstripes either side that Le Tiss was wearing in the last competitive match at The Dell (as well as the following two seasons at St Mary's), which are recreated on the front of the new shirt. But maybe I should just go to bed, I need to get drunk watching too much football tomorrow. :)

Dunno what's going on with the thumbnail, I already deleted the source.

That was my mock up based on info of the bra shirt. Don't like it mysrlf

Club is a ****ing mess.

Advertising for a first team data analyst if you're interested in being part of it.

Stellar benefits include 2x salary life insurance and 22 days' holiday.

We don't just buy a mess, we breed one.

Advertising for a first team data analyst if you're interested in being part of it.

Stellar benefits include 2x salary life insurance and 22 days' holiday.

We don't just buy a mess, we breed one.

Can't be hard to analyse last seasons data. Computer says ****e

Is it just me or does there seem an element of cost cutting with the kit launch?

The last couple of launches have had well polished marketing campaigns, Tom Davis a few years back, the fan travelling to the US to collect the kit and sail down the Solent. Last year we had the super heros animated campaign which would have cost a fair whack. This year we get a couple of leaks from HK and a last minute camera piece with MLT and Franny...I know it's only a kit launch and will likely make no difference in the sales figures, but it doesn't feel cheap in comparison to previous years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It's not as bad as it looks tbh, it has grown on me.

This is one for The9 - do the regulations require the sleeves to be plain in the same way as the backs do?

Tbh Huddersfield's striped back has thrown all that up in the air. UEFA regs are posted above so people can check their queries for themselves.

Hadn't seen the yellow away! Oh my god. Were they forced to keep the virgin logo red?! That looks so, so bad.

The yellow/blue mock up on this thread looked great too.

I think it looks fine tbh. Mild annoyance that the bloke who guessed with his mock up guessed correctly. :lol:

Does any other club put so much emphasise on kit launch? From what I have seen most clubs just announce without too much build up. In terms of the launch it has been an utter shambles. Trying to save face over the Hong Kong and Australia leak shows how last minute the whole charade was.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Going on the half cocked launch, the official site still leading with the coming soon video half an hour ago, not being able so see it anywhere and going on the ad for kit sales in the online store, is it safe to assume that my kids could smash open their piggy banks rush down the Saints store and buy me a shirt for tomorrow rather than having to wait until July?