Finally, the long-overdue 2018/19 kit thread...

The9

They seem happy to change it so it looks better on a blue background...

cc28ebc304d9ffc0a623bea0336ecef7.jpg

More like they are happy to use it in red, or use it in white as they do in all other media/platforms.

White would look awful on yellow.

Nothing to do with that. They changed it last seasons away shirt and the keepers shirts now.

A blue outline sponsor should have made that a good shirt but someone genuinely thought a red blob was the way to go.

People on here are incredibly clueless about design and the design process, it's almost like they think a global brand would allow their brand guidelines to be broken just because they sponsor a provincial english football club.

So you have an idea of the restrictions that are in place here's some old brand guidelines around usage of the logo for their mobile brand (i'm sure there will be some for the media brand too but i don't think Wolf Ollins the agency behind the branding have made them public).

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/Global/virgin-mobile/static/images/style-guide/pdf/VirginMobileAUS-Print-Styleguide.pdf

So fundamentally i'd assume that the only alternate that can be used for their logo is the white, which on a yellow shirt would be nigh on unreadable and therefore negate the point of them sponsoring us.

Also i'd imagine the "bendy stripe" is also a result of UA brand guidelines (http://www.samanthalynnproductions.com/under-armour-brand-book/arhjbfjoh2jpuulya02q1nj1irh0go), since most dictate a degree of clearance around the brand (for the sake of legibility and brand recognition) as well as a minimum size it can be used at.

Nothing to do with that. They changed it last seasons away shirt and the keepers shirts now.

A blue outline sponsor should have made that a good shirt but someone genuinely thought a red blob was the way to go.

Except they didn't "change it". In both instances it was white, which is clearly and obviously in their brand guidelines. As is red.

Blue or any other colour clearly isn't.

Basic, basic stuff.

If it has to be red or white then maybe red with a transparent background would have looked less 'blob' like, a bit like when we had the red aap logon on our last yellow kit...

6w0FR_2LZNpVNKbthxac1gzH5TGNA7IOAYFmZ9wmhsjqaCE8b_WNSTnffBGASv3GdP3127c68IHYOAVQjS70J1gmW2m5G9J1jlJj9kqCT2x9pzjELOf1Du09ARwBv6paEH7-z2isBSAD7xT0GidjW9uedezoRtQYJkHOJct2ZbwOevwH1lBUUbutLPo443n--SjTHtXmATag30XSLP3kwHd-2ariDbJog2XbUBveCKO0SKr_L0y3k4-2A0y-c5BRXJM-SQBBfa5_DH5cWVSIm07VTudfXQ6JYg4L_ZCETPIdihM4HMVJFY5Nc1GleWsolCoAyH3GKjGEo13-1eDuMzKboSU7IBd8M-6XXXTQPR_zlCYKwpgdgNEvL4bAfU_tKIBKMHm0llzH8QSuoa4oR4yNr38fY3UdOECTzcylIwcNEgDbX7mhtIS0ZQE3030BKRqu8Lflg0CWUiXiMu1W6VOkRFxt6t4ffYliGgW678xfA4_6gS3Etuo_6FolYonT77vvbCmnArjp6JhiYPFS4tDEqd1XkGmokwlGg7MWCrrCEmP9JwUIBztTL2nsdyvTL52tQsdtUw6pYWRPaoStVCtRGxSpDR0ag7Qc4m3H=s888-no

southawaysoccer.jpg

p.s. yes, I know I'm overthinking this... "its only a kit" etc

p.p.s. yes, I know my 'photoshop' job on the new kit is a bit sh*t

People on here are incredibly clueless about design and the design process, it's almost like they think a global brand would allow their brand guidelines to be broken just because they sponsor a provincial english football club.

So you have an idea of the restrictions that are in place here's some old brand guidelines around usage of the logo for their mobile brand (i'm sure there will be some for the media brand too but i don't think Wolf Ollins the agency behind the branding have made them public).

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/Global/virgin-mobile/static/images/style-guide/pdf/VirginMobileAUS-Print-Styleguide.pdf

So fundamentally i'd assume that the only alternate that can be used for their logo is the white, which on a yellow shirt would be nigh on unreadable and therefore negate the point of them sponsoring us.

Also i'd imagine the "bendy stripe" is also a result of UA brand guidelines (http://www.samanthalynnproductions.com/under-armour-brand-book/arhjbfjoh2jpuulya02q1nj1irh0go), since most dictate a degree of clearance around the brand (for the sake of legibility and brand recognition) as well as a minimum size it can be used at.

OK, how about a blue rectangular block with the white outline logo in the middle ?

Or a blue blob with the white outline logo ?

The red blob just looks sh*te.

Edited by alpine_saint

So we’ve seen the home and 3rd kit...

Now for the away....d8bc0df0d68203acfe19d5fb4a18424f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has saint lard ever been correct about anything?

Yes...I was ITK about Guly De Prado signing weeks before.

And made it known on here.

And Adkins was overrated.

And I made it known on here.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a flawless record which I have no doubt will continue long into the future.

That's not the away. That's a mock up by someone who's seen the home kit and presented a yellow shirt in the same way. It's lacking some of the detail that's also missing from their representation of the home shirt.

I mean it *might* be the away shirt, but I suspect its more likely to have pin stripes, if not stripes.

I'll be interested to see if they can actually mess it up too.

I think it looks fine tbh. Mild annoyance that the bloke who guessed with his mock up guessed correctly. :lol:

not far off!....in fact vastly better.

I used to work for Virgin Media, and you are correct that they are very tight with brand guidelines and usage. Red is their primary brand colour, and very occasionally they would allow the logo it to be white as a secondary option colour (usually only on a red background though), so that is why the sponsorship is red on the away kit (as white would not standout against yellow).

Their brand colour in not blue (but many of their competitors are: BT, TalkTalk, NowTV, SSE, etc) so despite it looking better on our mocked away shirt, they would never consider this just for 'fashion'. The Red looks so bold and stands out on the yellow, so they will be loving the impact that has on TV, Video Games, etc.

Notice that for £100 you can buy an 'authentic' version the same as the players' shirts.

Yeah, having been in today to pick mine up, and with every intention of getting the £100 version, I took a look at both and decided against.

There are a few differences between the two styles:

> Authentic has two pieces on the shoulder rather than one (there's a join in the middle of the back at the top).

> Authentic has a larger armpit vent, with breathing holes, and the more triangular piece juts further into the front of the shirt - effectively cutting off the stripes to the sides of the shirt at the top.

> Authentic doesn't have the silver hexagonal UA label near the hem

> The sponsor seemed slightly smaller on the authentic - not sure about that one, but it's been the case in the past due to FA/UEFA regulations

> Authentic is a MUCH tighter fit. As an example, the XXL in the Authentic fit similarly to the XL in the standard replica. I tried on standard replica L and XL and authentic XL and XXL and they were similar sorts of fit if you compared one size larger in the Authentic.

What's NOT different? The badges (club and kit brand) is the same on both, there's no WE MARCH ON printed on either shirt - it's only on the tape inside, which is also the same on both types of shirt.

Oh, and no "snowflake" design any more. I liked that bit on the earlier UA matchworns...

Anyway, knowing all that, I decided if I was going to splash £100 on a player shirt I'd want it to actually be a PLAYER'S shirt (and I am resigned to the fact that none of them will fit me any more)... so I just bought a bog-standard replica.

Edited by The9

Oh and for those after the tracksuits, neither the red with white stripe down the sleeve nor the yellow with blue stripe are available yet.

In fact there's no yellow and blue ANYTHING on sale at the moment, and only a couple of shirts on display in the window (along with one yellow/blue zip through top which might or might not be a tracksuit top).

The whole training range in store is exactly as online, red and black plain training t-shirts and polos, red and black 1/4 zip training tops (nice UNDER ARMOUR bit in black on the back of the collar), a really expensive jacket, some kids' stuff and that's about it. All hugely expensive.

This is the first time in 10 years I've walked out of there with only one home shirt and no training kit, but even though it's miles better than last year, screwed if I'm paying £45 for a red or black t-shirt with just some shadow pattern on the back (and yes I'm aware that's basically all the replica shirt is). Christmas and shopping around the likes of Sports Direct beckons...

The 1/4 zip through also has a relatively small and a tad nasty looking print-on Saints logo, which does not enhance the product.

They've stuck the shirt printing up to £14 too, not that it would usually affect me.

Edited by The9

Man United aside Saints have the most expensive training kit pricing in the premier league, just think about that.

There is at least a 20% mark up on training tees and polo tops compared to chelsea, spurs, fulham, liverpool etc etc

Man United aside Saints have the most expensive training kit pricing in the premier league, just think about that.

There is at least a 20% mark up on training tees and polo tops compared to chelsea, spurs, fulham, liverpool etc etc

some of those prices are bloody ridiculous. There’s something called a storm jacket and they want 120 quid for it !!!!

It’s an Under Armour thing. It’s for athletes who want to push themselves to the limit, not regular fans. Until they get that Adidas and Nike make stuff for people with no interest in being athletes they’ll continue this way.

Anyway, you can still easily buy a rain jacket for £800 if you can afford it so £120 is not as expensive as some.

Bought my son the full kit and he can't get the socks on. He has a shoe size of 6 and the socks in men's size are the medium which covers shoe size 3 to 7.5. This is a ludicrous range of sizes. I'll have to change them for the next size up, the large, which covers sizes 8.5 to 11.5.

The whole training range in store is exactly as online, red and black plain training t-shirts and polos, red and black 1/4 zip training tops (nice UNDER ARMOUR bit in black on the back of the collar), a really expensive jacket, some kids' stuff and that's about it. All hugely expensive.

It's all very underwhelming. Been a fan of the training gear the past few years, but nothing exciting this season. I'll have to cart my fat arse around in non-Saints gear I guess.

It's all very underwhelming. Been a fan of the training gear the past few years, but nothing exciting this season. I'll have to cart my fat arse around in non-Saints gear I guess.

Surely not last year's craptastic Sainsbury's reject gear and that awful red and grey stuff with same colour badges? I'm still hoovering up stuff from the first UA season, that stuff was amazing. The yellow/blue stuff will save us this year, though the red/white track top they haven't yet got in the shop looks nice too.

Surely not last year's craptastic Sainsbury's reject gear and that awful red and grey stuff with same colour badges? I'm still hoovering up stuff from the first UA season, that stuff was amazing. The yellow/blue stuff will save us this year, though the red/white track top they haven't yet got in the shop looks nice too.

Yeah I don't hate last years. Although I bought them once they were incredibly discounted. Also have the red polo from the first UA season. It's quality. Plus the white/yellow top from the season in between Adidas and UA. That was quite decent too.

I haven't seen the yellow/blue stuff you're talking about. Where can I find images?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Retiring the 2017-18 collection to the shirt wardrobe.

f7b21e7ab8b75f88b05724500ef5f13c.jpg

Just seen the 3rd kit - bit bonkers considering the only 2 times we've needed a 3rd kit is v Bournemouth - they go and make a 3rd kit which definately can't be worn v Bournemouth.

And when they make a nice 3rd kit like the white one above - you can't buy it. Then they make a 'meh' 3rd kit and you can.

We'll obviously wear yellow v Bournemouth and not change v Wolves - so there is no need whatsoever for a 3rd kit.

But I'm one of those stupid fans who has to buy all 3...

Incidently St Chalet would you share how you got that white 3rd? Are you people who knows people? You are not that Matchworn dude - he posts as Matthew Le Tissier I think...

Please don't say something like: "It was in the Concourse sale - £10"

Just seen the 3rd kit - bit bonkers considering the only 2 times we've needed a 3rd kit is v Bournemouth - they go and make a 3rd kit which definately can't be worn v Bournemouth.

And when they make a nice 3rd kit like the white one above - you can't buy it. Then they make a 'meh' 3rd kit and you can.

We'll obviously wear yellow v Bournemouth and not change v Wolves - so there is no need whatsoever for a 3rd kit.

But I'm one of those stupid fans who has to buy all 3...

Incidently St Chalet would you share how you got that white 3rd? Are you people who knows people? You are not that Matchworn dude - he posts as Matthew Le Tissier I think...

Please don't say something like: "It was in the Concourse sale - £10"

We’ll wear it away to Fulham, Spurs and Newcastle. Prob Watford and Huddersfield too.

We’ll wear it away to Fulham, Spurs and Newcastle. Prob Watford and Huddersfield too.

We could wear the yellow kit at Fulham, Spurs and Newcastle. The home shirt could easily be worn at Watford and Huddersfield. Somebody, somewhere has been paid a fortune to come up with a third kit that's primarily the same colour as the home shirt. I just don't get it. Why not make something that's completely different? There's plenty of other colours out there!

We could wear the yellow kit at Fulham, Spurs and Newcastle. The home shirt could easily be worn at Watford and Huddersfield. Somebody, somewhere has been paid a fortune to come up with a third kit that's primarily the same colour as the home shirt. I just don't get it. Why not make something that's completely different? There's plenty of other colours out there!

The away kit probably has too much blue on it to wear vs. Spurs given their home kit is now heavily dark blue as well as white. But other than that I agree, it's a bit of a pointless one. Third kits imo should be really loud - bright orange/lime green type thing.

The away kit probably has too much blue on it to wear vs. Spurs given their home kit is now heavily dark blue as well as white. But other than that I agree, it's a bit of a pointless one. Third kits imo should be really loud - bright orange/lime green type thing.

Orange and lime green stripes, there's a thought. Possibly on a par with Bristol City's purple and lime green effort a couple of season's ago.

Tend to agree with you that the third kit does give an opportunity to try something different, possibly a shirt that will sell as a 'beach' or summer shirt, if marketed and released in good time, rather than for matches where it might only appear once or twice. Arsenal for example today wore a 'mint green' kit, unlikely to feature much in matches but a step away from their traditional kits.

Our green kit from a few years ago would have made a perfect third kit, really don’t think understand the colour choice on this one.

coukd have over come the blue shorts issue at spurs by wearing a pair of yellow shorts just for one game.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/b66bc111-d70f-4049-8bcd-c6c4b6dd3f75

Ranked 16th out of all the PL clubs this season, according to this.

Obviously it's all subjective, and in places this looks like it has been written by a schoolkid, but I'd say he's got us about right. The home kit isn't brilliant, and the 3rd kit it utterly pointless. But I am glad we got our yellows back again - feels like such a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after all the grumblings and rumblings, what's the verdict on the 'new' shirt/kit after seeing it in the actual heat of battle a couple of times? I said I liked it on first seeing and i haven't seen anything to make me change my mind - I still like it.

Is it wrong to like Watford's stripey kit? It's a bit Aussie rules/rugby league but I think it's something a bit different.

So, after all the grumblings and rumblings, what's the verdict on the 'new' shirt/kit after seeing it in the actual heat of battle a couple of times? I said I liked it on first seeing and i haven't seen anything to make me change my mind - I still like it.

Is it wrong to like Watford's stripey kit? It's a bit Aussie rules/rugby league but I think it's something a bit different.

Favourite kit since promotion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/b66bc111-d70f-4049-8bcd-c6c4b6dd3f75

Ranked 16th out of all the PL clubs this season, according to this.

Obviously it's all subjective, and in places this looks like it has been written by a schoolkid, but I'd say he's got us about right. The home kit isn't brilliant, and the 3rd kit it utterly pointless. But I am glad we got our yellows back again - feels like such a long time.

An article that says 'They did change up the kits from last year so you have to give them some props for that, I guess.' can be dismissed as being ****e.

Still no release date for the away shirt yet , Went in to get a few bits for the boys birthday yesterday and couldn't even pre order one as "We don't have a clue when they will be ready" . Bit of a **** take really !

Personally I think that UA are taking the p!ss with this away kit, totally inexcusable to be so late on delivery of what is basically a very plain shirt and pair of shorts !

If they had a production problem they should have been required to airfreight at their cost but whatever the issue, someone has to take responsibility and advise the status to the awaiting customers !

Having brought out a (totally unnecessary) 3rd kit, very similar to the home kit, it beggars belief that this has not been sorted already !

Frankly, they should discount the price as soon as it goes on sale IMO !

Edited by eurosaint

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the only option is to have stripes with a little panel for the numbers. I think that looks a bit naff, and probably why teams have gone for plain backs instead.

Having said that, it looks like being the only alternative. Either that or maybe UEFA are trying to phase out stripes/hoops/checks altogether. Given that United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea would be unaffected by such a rule I wouldn't be surprised if the PL suggest it.