Finally, the long-overdue 2018/19 kit thread...

The9

Shocking kit. What were they thinking with the black trim?!
Probably thinking that lots of Saints kits through the years have had black trim on them. Including the current kit.

I don't get the fuss, I quite like it from the front. Red back, less so.

My OCD is struggling with the octagonal force field around the Under Armour badge, what is that about?

Honestly think they should have played it safe and made our white third kit of the last couple of seasons the home one. Would've sold more of that than they will this. Shocking design to follow up on last season's best in recent memory.

Also a red third kit and a home kit with a red back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point in having a third kit that is so similar to the home kit? I could understand if the home kit was mainly white.

I reckon the away kit might be more popular than the home.

Can't fault the ITK above about both home and third having a red back, but the question about the third kit being so similar... yeah, now it makes very little sense. Third will be used against Fulham, Spurs, Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle I guess, leaving the yellow away for teams in plain red shirts. Yellow at Palace with alternate shorts maybe?

Haven't seen the away shirt yet though... But clearly yellow/blue based on those change shorts.

Still assuming, as no socks either, but will they even sell a third kit shorts and socks? Likely to be red shorts and white or red socks depending on what colour the home ones are.

That UA logo looks, er, "sub-optimal" but I like the rest of it (apart from the plain back of course).

They keep doing OK but could be better with a tiny bit of consideration.

My OCD is struggling with the octagonal force field around the Under Armour badge, what is that about?

Honestly think they should have played it safe and made our white third kit of the last couple of seasons the home one. Would've sold more of that than they will this. Shocking design to follow up on last season's best in recent memory.

There's a "shape" around the "lozenge" tag thing they put on the bottom of the replica kits too. It was circular last year. At least that's consistent.

And of course this confirms the Premier League has indeed gone the full monty with their implementation of the (6 years old) UEFA kit regulations, because that contains a load of stuff about lumins and degrees of contrast and really doesn't like striped shirts at all. It probably rules out us wearing yellow against teams in white. We saw it in effect in Europa League when Sparta wore yellow at home against Saints because their dark red was too similar in colour to our red/white AND too similar in shade to our black away?!

Not new, just new for the Premier League - and has been rumoured for the past two years. There's a link earlier in this thread.

FWIW I think the regulations are unnecessary and completely OTT but it does give a mathematical calculation of percentage of shirt shade compared to opposition and stuff like that.

Edited by The9

The trim around the Under Armour logo looks truly amateurish. The worst kit in a good few years.

It would actually look better if they'd left the hexagon shape entirely surrounding the UA logo.

Horrendous, what a total shambles under armour cleaely cant design football kits.

Under armour will be known as designing the worst kits in the clubs history by a country mile.

could not agree more. The designers have no design skills. Every kit has been a total cluster ****. There is no thought behind each element. If one of my designers out this together it wouldn't ever reach the client. Dreadful. Someone explain to me why the stripes stop at the point they don't? Garbage as the previous two were. I know things are often subjective, but this is simply bad design. I don't understand why grown men buy replica kits. I understand less when they look terrible. Walking sandwich boards for UA and virgin. You just be crazy.

could not agree more. The designers have no design skills. Every kit has been a total cluster ****. There is no thought behind each element. If one of my designers out this together it wouldn't ever reach the client. Dreadful. Someone explain to me why the stripes stop at the point they don't? Garbage as the previous two were. I know things are often subjective, but this is simply bad design. I don't understand why grown men buy replica kits. I understand less when they look terrible. Walking sandwich boards for UA and virgin. You just be crazy.

There's a "tape" across the arms and shirt which cuts the shoulder piece from the striped front, three separate pieces of material. Guess they'll screen print the front onto white material and use red material for the tape and the shoulder parts. The tape/band across the shirt is in line with the AZ shirt that's already been released.

How is sending us out in a plain white home kit "playing it safe"?

We don't play in white, it's not our kit, it would be effing stupid to do that.

Yeah, it doesn't look anything like that.

The collar is a different shape, the shoulder piece is a completely different position, the stripes go further up the shirt, there's no contrast cuff or Under Armour on the sleeves, there's a break in the stripe rather than a shape for the UA logo, and the stripes and pinstripes are different colours and different thicknesses. But other than that, spot on comparison.

Edited by The9

I wonder if they've ditched the 'we march on' slogan- my season ticket reminder thing that came through the post had 'Believe. Believe in Saints' written all over it. Equally crap but different.

Nope, you can see it on the tape inside the collar. They always have a marketing slogan every year, there was Heart and Home or whatever it was, also The Southampton Way, a few ST agitating slogans which change, this one is more a corporate ethos (like Spurs have To Dare Is To Do), it'll change a lot less frequently than whatever they dream up to flog STs every year.

Edited by The9

How is sending us out in a plain white home kit "playing it safe"?

We don't play in white, it's not our kit, it would be effing stupid to do that.

I understand your point, however the red sash kit was one of our most popular. Demand for that third kit to be on sale was high even before we played the EFL Cup Final in it, after that I saw a large volume of people asking for it to be on sale to us. Maybe it wouldn't have been the right thing to do, but I've a feeling we might have sold a few more of those than we will these.

I might be wrong, I'm running a Twitter poll to get an idea if you're interested.

https://twitter.com/owen_thesaints/status/1005368365416878080?s=21

Feel sure I saw a black kit somewhere with two vertical stripes of red and white either side of the collar, reminiscent of Palace. Anyone? Thought it looked great if away kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feel sure I saw a black kit somewhere with two vertical stripes of red and white either side of the collar, reminiscent of Palace. Anyone? Thought it looked great if away kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just another concept kit, anyone can do them. The shorts leaked above all but confirm an away in yellow and blue.

I wonder if they've ditched the 'we march on' slogan- my season ticket reminder thing that came through the post had 'Believe. Believe in Saints' written all over it. Equally crap but different.

Leaked on the Hong Kong Under Armour site

36473328acf81becf44d0b55d25d0235.png

But that shirt DOES have We March On inside the collar. Fingers crossed it's a fake after all, it's horrible.

I understand your point, however the red sash kit was one of our most popular. Demand for that third kit to be on sale was high even before we played the EFL Cup Final in it, after that I saw a large volume of people asking for it to be on sale to us. Maybe it wouldn't have been the right thing to do, but I've a feeling we might have sold a few more of those than we will these.

I might be wrong, I'm running a Twitter poll to get an idea if you're interested.

https://twitter.com/owen_thesaints/status/1005368365416878080?s=21

Your poll doesn't prove your point either way. You're asking which people would rather buy, not which they want for the home kit.

Your poll doesn't prove your point either way. You're asking which people would rather buy, not which they want for the home kit.

You are right looking back. I guess my thinking was isn't the point of having a new kit every season to make money from replica sales?

It does say something that amateurs with photoshop regularly produce far faarrrr better designs than what the 'professionals' do for a measley £50 a pop.

This is vom inducing and the third kit is just a cash grab, hope the club / UA make a loss on it.

Although those that are wishing for Adidas back have very short memories, the Poch season kit was the worst ever Saints home shirt, no contest at all.

That said id take a **** kit and a fantastic season over a beautiful kit and a **** season.