How you think it will end

Pilchards

Not if it means Reed and Ralph staying and the policy of selling our best players continues imo!

Why do you have an issue with that? Would you prefer Saints to only sign players Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham will never want to sign? Because that is the only way Saints won't sell their best players to them. It is better to have the likes of van Dijk, Wanyama, Mane etc for 2 years than not at all.

Given the opposition and our record against good sides, yes, absolutely.

Everton was the most winnable game left. Swansea is then still vaguely winnable. City is a 1 in 10+ sort of chance of winning. Let's be perfectly honest. If we need anything final day, we are 99% down.

It was a rhetorical question. Of course we won't be down. Drawing with them, and then matching Swansea's result against Stoke with ours against on-the-beach City is far from impossible. They'd be favourites of course, but far from a certainty.

Having said that, lose against Swansea and we'd be 95% down.

Why do you have an issue with that? Would you prefer Saints to only sign players Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham will never want to sign? Because that is the only way Saints won't sell their best players to them. It is better to have the likes of van Dijk, Wanyama, Mane etc for 2 years than not at all.

I have an issue with that because it isn't reinvested in the team and we are a week away from possible relegation it isn't rocket science!

I have an issue with that because it isn't reinvested in the team and we are a week away from possible relegation it isn't rocket science!

Everyone we have sold we didn’t want to sell has been to a top 6 club. You show me where anyone outside the top 6 has done any different to us.

What I don’t understand is how we don’t seem to have been in a position to blow everyone else out of the water.

That is a line that is often used by football fans, but I don't see how it works in practice. How does relegation help that more than staying up? It is easier to revitalise the squad when you have the Premier League money to aid a rebuild.

Says you pretty much basing all your arguments on a computer algorithm.

Everyone we have sold we didn’t want to sell has been to a top 6 club. You show me where anyone outside the top 6 has done any different to us.

What I don’t understand is how we don’t seem to have been in a position to blow everyone else out of the water.

Show me any team in Europe that has sold 9 players in what 3/4 years , As soon as Kat recognised she could make a bucket load of money from quick sales that is all we have done and our transfer policy now is slanted on resale potential . Every pundit and media source has been telling us for years "You can't keep selling your best players and getting away with it" and they are right , The flood gates were open the season Poch and Cortese left and once agents and players saw that there was slim hope of ever keeping players because they know our ambition isn't to win things it's to make money !

I have an issue with that because it isn't reinvested in the team

Until the selling of van Dijk it had been. We spent more on players incoming than sales until very recently.

And that money could yet still be spent... we just don't know yet.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Show me any team in Europe that has sold 9 players in what 3/4 years , As soon as Kat recognised she could make a bucket load of money from quick sales that is all we have done and our transfer policy now is slanted on resale potential . Every pundit and media source has been telling us for years "You can't keep selling your best players and getting away with it" and they are right , The flood gates were open the season Poch and Cortese left and once agents and players saw that there was slim hope of ever keeping players because they know our ambition isn't to win things it's to make money !

As I said earlier...

Relegation could well turn out to be a "disaster" but it could also be a chance to flush out the dead wood and rejuvenate again.

That is a line that is often used by football fans, but I don't see how it works in practice. How does relegation help that more than staying up? It is easier to revitalise the squad when you have the Premier League money to aid a rebuild.

Says you pretty much basing all your arguments on a computer algorithm.

No computer algorithm required for this, it is just common sense. Can you outline how losing £100m+ from your revenue allows you to rebuild and turf out deadwood easier than if the revenue remains at current levels?

As I said earlier...

Maybe it’s better to have players who want to play for Southampton?

As the pundits have said, our policy was bound to catch up with us. No club can keep on finding better players, sooner or later we were going to buy a few duds and look surprise surprise, that’s where we are - relegated.

Maybe it’s better to have players who want to play for Southampton?

As the pundits have said, our policy was bound to catch up with us. No club can keep on finding better players, sooner or later we were going to buy a few duds and look surprise surprise, that’s where we are - relegated.

We eventually ran out of luck.

As I said earlier...

Because my aim as a saints fan is for us to win things not to make the owners money ! Leicester never sold all of their best players after 1 good season , I doubt Burnley will bend over and sell all of theirs this summer Everton kept most of theirs even before Moshiri came in .

Edited by simo

If anyone thinks we could have made those players stay they are deluded. Just look at the trouble keeping VVD caused and the apparent unrest from keeping Bertrand and Cedric

You could argue that we shouldn't have let the first lot go and create the expectation that we are willing to sell. But the money was needed to improve our wages offer and players may not have come here if we were known for playing hardball. Our big signings have not come off and that's where we need the improvement.

I don't think we kept VVD for any sort of change in policy it was more to do with the club being up for sale. We have had an unhappy camp all season and it's only partly been down to the **** manager.

If anyone thinks we could have made those players stay they are deluded. Just look at the trouble keeping VVD caused and the apparent unrest from keeping Bertrand and Cedric

You could argue that we shouldn't have let the first lot go and create the expectation that we are willing to sell. But the money was needed to improve our wages offer and players may not have come here if we were known for playing hardball. Our big signings have not come off and that's where we need the improvement.

I don't think we kept VVD for any sort of change in policy it was more to do with the club being up for sale. We have had an unhappy camp all season and it's only partly been down to the **** manager.

The VVD saga struck me as being part of the policy to try and get away from the constant player sales, which started with tying all the key players to long term contracts. The board were obviously trying to move us away from the general perception of us being a "selling club", and to retain a nucleus of players in an effort to generate some cohesion. It seems to have backfired spectacularly, but we all welcomed it at the time, iirc.

I can, it is quite easy to imagine such a situation and doesn't require a far fetched set of results...

Saints beat Swansea

Chelsea beat Huddersfield

Arsenal beat Huddersfield

Swansea beat Stoke

Saints lose to Man City

...then Saints & Swansea are safe and Huddersfield go down if the GD situation remains similar

If we beat Swansea the rest is irrelevant anyway? We stay up if we can keep the score down against City.

As I said earlier...

Well it doesn't seem to have worked has it? Perhaps we would have been better off with players that the top six didn't want and who we could have kept together as a team? Perhaps then we would be comfortably mid table and not facing a relegation play off?

What did we win with those players?

The VVD saga struck me as being part of the policy to try and get away from the constant player sales, which started with tying all the key players to long term contracts. The board were obviously trying to move us away from the general perception of us being a "selling club", and to retain a nucleus of players in an effort to generate some cohesion. It seems to have backfired spectacularly, but we all welcomed it at the time, iirc.

The VvD policy (for me) was all to do with the club sale. Didn’t one of the players even suggest as such?

If the club was not up for sale, VvD would have been sold last summer

Ok, you win... :)

Have a feeling Swansea may play for a draw. We haven't got too bad a record there; off the top of my head can remember at least 3 1-0 wins in recent seasons. The same again would be great. Shane Long 81st minute winner

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Says the man that stalks me on an internet forum! Are you denying the club would have benefitted had it not been relegated in 2005?

I’m not sure stalking is when you’re posting on a thread on an Internet forum I’m a member of, when you’ve hijacked said thread.

In some ways I'm glad that we are playing away as home fans get very nervous in these situations and it can easily transmit to the players !

Swansea have to take the game to us and if they don't get early rewards the pressure might well get to them, let's hope so anyway !

If we are still in it late on then Long/Redmond will definitely unsettle them !

Obviously I have no idea how it will all pan out but we do have a good chance !

COYS

We have a decent record away at Swansea, if we are to go to any Premier League ground to get a win, then Liberty Stadium is probably one of the best bets.

I see us maybe sneaking a draw against City, they had their celebration this week, most of their players will be thinking about the world cup, there is not much in there for them to come to our place and go all out, plus I think most of the fringe players who need their 5 games have got their 5 games so can't see a hungry reserve team playing either, but then they are good enough to beat us at half pace so a draw is best we could hope for which is not good enough.

And I agree with others I don't think Stoke will put up any fight on the last day.

So I think we will draw both game and go down.

Plus remember Swansea don't need to win, they have two home games against teams around them, 4 points gets them safe and 3 points against Stoke is not going to be hard for them so there is no pressure on them to beat us tonight.

Monaco, Dortmund, Porto, Ajax...all sell their best players year in year out. They make mega profits and move on to the next players. If that was our place in the Premier League I'd be happy with that. Buy unknowns, improve them, win alot of games, a cup run here and there, sell and buy again. Whats wrong with that? Lemina wouldn't have come here if it wasn't for that recruitment system. Sadly he is probably our only good buy in the last couple of summers. Coupled with poor management is why we are where we are now. Whether we go down or stay up, we should try to get back to what made us successful (by our standards). The only other option is to buy worse players so that nobody wants them. A bit like we've been doing lately.

Teams in the bottom half of the premier league are not good enough to guarantee their clean sheet. Swansea can try to play for a draw and then hope to better our result on the final day, but that is a very high risk policy.

I think Swansea will try to win, just as much as we will. Only 6 points from the two games guarantees Swansea's safety. 4 points and they would likely stay up. Lose to us and they are almost certainly relegated. Draw with us and it is out of their hands. They have to be minded to try to win.

As do we.

Two crap teams, both needing a win. Should be a cracking, low quality, game of footie

Monaco, Dortmund, Porto, Ajax...all sell their best players year in year out. They make mega profits and move on to the next players. If that was our place in the Premier League I'd be happy with that. Buy unknowns, improve them, win alot of games, a cup run here and there, sell and buy again. Whats wrong with that? Lemina wouldn't have come here if it wasn't for that recruitment system. Sadly he is probably our only good buy in the last couple of summers. Coupled with poor management is why we are where we are now. Whether we go down or stay up, we should try to get back to what made us successful (by our standards). The only other option is to buy worse players so that nobody wants them. A bit like we've been doing lately.

Yep, pretty much. It's the only feasible business model for sustainable, consistent, success. But obviously it has to be implemented correctly. And the manager is the most important role of the lot. Unfortunately, because you rarely turn a profit on a manager - and even if you do, it's never a huge one - it feels this is an area that we have wrongly applied the same logic to and skimped on (or try to be 'clever' with) and it has backfired.

Yep, pretty much. It's the only feasible business model for sustainable, consistent, success. But obviously it has to be implemented correctly. And the manager is the most important role of the lot. Unfortunately, because you rarely turn a profit on a manager - and even if you do, it's never a huge one - it feels this is an area that we have wrongly applied the same logic to and skimped on (or try to be 'clever' with) and it has backfired.

Yep, after Koeman left we could have attracted a top top manager and pay them top dollar. Let’s face it, if we are willing to **** away $20M on Carillo then they had cash to pay a decent manager. As you said, they tried to get smart and line up who they thought Arsenal might want (Puel) and it’s been steadily down hill from there. We got rid of Puel and then found ourselves picking from the next level down for a manager (which would have been fine), but Reed repeated his mistake getting MoPe.

We'll draw tonight at Swansea, and lose to Man City and be relegated. There is no credible evidence of any other outcome. I hope we'll then get rid of Reed and his policy of prioritising the purchase of players with sell on value above buying players to build a team.

Yep, after Koeman left we could have attracted a top top manager and pay them top dollar. Let’s face it, if we are willing to **** away $20M on Carillo then they had cash to pay a decent manager. As you said, they tried to get smart and line up who they thought Arsenal might want (Puel) and it’s been steadily down hill from there. We got rid of Puel and then found ourselves picking from the next level down for a manager (which would have been fine), but Reed repeated his mistake getting MoPe.

Absolutely. IMO, the club should've opted for Manuel Pellegrini after Koeman.

I can only go with my heart at this point! We will beat Swans tonight albeit in nail biting fashion. Hughes will be kept on but hopefully with more of a say in recruitment. Think he knows the kind of player that is going to make a difference here. Change of attitude definitely needed behind scenes though otherwise it could be a long season ahead.

I can only go with my heart at this point! We will beat Swans tonight albeit in nail biting fashion. Hughes will be kept on but hopefully with more of a say in recruitment. Think he knows the kind of player that is going to make a difference here. Change of attitude definitely needed behind scenes though otherwise it could be a long season ahead.

That is interesting as when you read Stoke fans forum etc, recruitment is the reason they seem to hate Hughes and call him all sort of things. A lot of Stoke fans blame Hughes for them going down and say that boils down to his buying of ‘mercenaries’- talking about players like Jese, Wimmer, Imbula...

We'll draw tonight at Swansea, and lose to Man City and be relegated. There is no credible evidence of any other outcome. I hope we'll then get rid of Reed and his policy of prioritising the purchase of players with sell on value above buying players to build a team.

My prediction and wish if we do.

That is interesting as when you read Stoke fans forum etc, recruitment is the reason they seem to hate Hughes and call him all sort of things. A lot of Stoke fans blame Hughes for them going down and say that boils down to his buying of ‘mercenaries’- talking about players like Jese, Wimmer, Imbula...

Totally agree with all of that, just have a feeling he may have learnt from those errors. Just for me, he has restored a touch of pride in players, and I get the feeling he will have learnt a lot from the failure at Stoke. Only my opinion obviously