Swansea vs Saints - Match Thread

St Chalet

Let's be honest, if we can't overcome a side like this we deserve all we get.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yet they have had all of the play except the last 5 minutes of the half. Really missing Lemina; their 3 man midfield is controlling things. Let's hope for more from Redmond, Tadic and Austin - on another day Austin would have nicked one of those chances and we'd be 1-0 to the good, against the run of play.

Saints have dealt with the hoofball from Swansea fairly well but we all know there's a mistake in that back three some time. Really needed one of those Austin strikes to find the net. Can only hope Swansea will run out of puff. Dreadfully tense.

Good - Tadic, Holjberg, Macca and that's about it

Bad - Austin looks a bit lazy, Redmond not quite in the game but picking up some decent positions, touch seems a bit off, Romeu AWFUL, Bednarek is gripped by fear as is Stephens, Bertrand looks off the pace

Overall - Hughes needs to make a change, we need to get the ball to the front men quicker, need a Shane Long or Gab - this is MUST-WIN not must-not-lose, i'd rather lose 1-0 with lots of chances of winning than draw 0-0 with a mediocre performance.

Biggest 45 all season, Swansea can be opened up and their press leaves them open to counter attacks.. we need to start pinning them back and putting them under pressure, MUST close Clucas down and Ki, both have too much time.

Hughes isn't happy. He'll beast them at half time. We've weathered the storm here. Think we'll be better in the second half.
Surely we couldn't get any worse, that was awful.

Hughes isn't happy. He'll beast them at half time. We've weathered the storm here. Think we'll be better in the second half.

This. We’ve looked scared to play. Redmond after looking great on Saturday has returned to type. A draw not a total disaster but the win is gettable here.

This is so nerve-wracking.

45 minutes to get a win. MUST be more positive. Pressure them, keep them on the back foot and...

[never thought I'd say this a few months ago]

... get it to Tadic & Redmond, our current in-form players!

My choice of HT subs:

JWP on for Hoj (not been great today)

Long on for Hoedt (he'll make a crucial mistake) - revert to back 4

Save Gabbi for later swap for Austin if he hasn't done anything.

Pack it in, lads. It's done. Swansea are up for this. We're not.

They'll score first and comfortably defend their lead.

Another "must win" non-performance. Captain Bertrand has been in hiding since kick off.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Pretty poor so far with hardly any quality on display from Saints. Can't pass, move into space or even control the ball. The defence looks dodgy, yet Austin probably had the two best chances of the game. I can see Romeu getting sent off - does he ever win a tackle rather than giving a free kick. Not feeling confident at all. One goal from them and it will be all over as there is no confidence on display. We need a huge slice of luck in the second half.

Swans had plenty of possession and have pegged us back a bit but they haven't really created a clear chance yet. The two chances we created for Austin show we have more quality in that respect.

Our defence always worries me though. There was one moment where three players managed to fall over each other and let one of theirs waltz past them to the edge of the box. Then another time Cedric came to jump for a bouncing ball and completely misjudged it, leaving us overloaded down our right.

Squeaky bum stuff.

This is so nerve-wracking.

45 minutes to get a win. MUST be more positive. Pressure them, keep them on the back foot and...

[never thought I'd say this a few months ago]

... get it to Tadic & Redmond, our current in-form players!

My choice of HT subs:

JWP on for Hoj (not been great today)

Long on for Hoedt (he'll make a crucial mistake) - revert to back 4

Save Gabbi for later swap for Austin if he hasn't done anything.

Hoj has been good - put through the pass to Austin who scuffed it - we need that midfield of Hoj and Romeu to remain solid.

Another "must win" non-performance. Captain Bertrand has been in hiding since kick off.

Guess there is no point watching the second half then, thanks for the heads up.

0-0 at ht is fine, and we weathered their hoofball. Game will open up in second half and we should get a few more chances.

Wonder if Austin nor burying one of those 2 chances may come back to haunt us.

You can see Swansea have done their homework with their crossing methodology.

We need more urgency in 2nd half. A draw is little use to us whereas it may serve them well.

That fact may be best chance for us to win. They may pull back last 15 mins. Then we go take 'em.

Our weakest department is centre back and we have 3 out there. Let Bednarek and Hoedt be the centre backs, switch to 4 at the back, and sub Stephens on for Long. They will **** their pants. Then around sixty minutes, sub Redmond for Sims and Tadic for Gabbiadini and ****ing go for the win!

Win or bust and we're 45 away from potentially needing a win against City. I can barely watch. Hughes needs to give the team talk of his bloody career...

Come on...grow a spine.

Thank god for that, I've got an early start tomorrow, so glad that there isn't any reason to watch the second half. :mcinnes:

We look more dangerous going forwards.... when we get the chance to do so.
Yeah, I thought that too, much more dangerous than when we were camped in our own 18 yard box defending for long periods...! [emoji6]

Hoj has been good - put through the pass to Austin who scuffed it - we need that midfield of Hoj and Romeu to remain solid.

On second thoughts, I think you're right. Leave Hoj on.

But someone needs to come off if Long, Gabbi, Sims (or Carrillo!) come on.

Who? Argh! I don't know.

Find out in a min.

Glad I'm not Hughes.