Man City Build Up

Toomer

I’m hoping they go wild and win 6-0, get it out of their system.

Perhaps but not before getting roughed up a bit. Anyway I doubt that it matters, can't see us losing by any more than one or two if that. Think we may even win, players and crowd will be full of confidence. Last day at home for Saints is usually pretty good.

Anyone got the last day stats at home for say the last 10 years ?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Hopefully Man City players won't want to be injured pre WC. Go in with some hard crunching tackles early on and see what's what.

Sign of the times that a few season ago we'd be worried about most of our squad protecting themselves for the world cup!

Isn't there a minimum number of appearances needed in order to get a League Winners medal? Pep is good at man-management and has an air of sentimentality about him so if any of his players need one more run out then I would expect him to play them at some stage.

Go for it. Teams that go for city have had joy in attack. We won't be keeping a clean sheet.

I'd like Carrillo to play. Before we write him off completely, might as well see if he can do anything, and if he can do it against city he's worth keeping.

Assume Bednarek is injured?

McCarthy

Stephens Yoshi Hoedt

Cedric Romeu Hojbjerg Bertrand

Gabbiadini Carrillo Redmond

Yeah. **** it why not!

Tadic, Bertrand, Cedric. Isn't so bad for an awful season.

In a better season there are others who could have made it too if their teams had qualified or they'd played more consistently. McCarthy, Hojbjerg, Gabbiadini, Boufal, Hoedt, even JWP given how rubbish england's midfield is.

Right. I thought Boufal still played for Morocco and Hojbjerg for Denmark.

Really? If we had any mettle as a fan base it would be a protest, not a party.

Ridiculous thing to say, if you want to protest aim it at the board after the game - Hughes and the players who have put the effort in over the last month deserve the celebration / plaudits and I’ll certainly give him a warm round of applause if they do a lap of the pitch. Looks like we’ve got out of jail this season but I’ve really enjoyed the buzz of the last few games, brings back great memories of the 90s.

As to this game - hopefully Man City play a few youngsters and we can finish the season with a point or three.

McCarthy

Cedric Bednarek Yoshida Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Hojbjerg Lemina

Tadic

Long

Just keep it tight and play on the break.

Even we have won 8-0 in the prem, City are more than capable of sticking 6 past anyone in the league. It's not over yet, and I'll certainly be worrying if we're 3-0 and Swans are 2-0 up at HT...!

We can't sit in and just park the bus, doesn't really work against City, Huddersfield for most of the first half of each half pressed City back pretty high until they got knackered and sat deeper.

Still a lot of permutations, but I don't think City will necessarily be out to tear us one on Sunday.

And I don't see Swansea scoring anything like what they would need too in order to trouble us. In fact I reckon Stoke will take them for at least a point and they'll be relegated.

I would enjoy seeing Huddersfield stay up, which may not be the majority view. But they've done pretty well all things considered.

Isn't there a minimum number of appearances needed in order to get a League Winners medal? Pep is good at man-management and has an air of sentimentality about him so if any of his players need one more run out then I would expect him to play them at some stage.

There is also a vanity there I think. They are currently on 94 points with 2 games to go.

There is also a vanity there I think. They are currently on 94 points with 2 games to go.

Perhaps but from the 20 minutes or so that I saw of their game with Huddersfield some of their players look like they've had enough. Plenty of them are at over 50 games for the season so far and have another 5 or 6 to go. Just can't see 100 points being any particular motivation to them now.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Right. Let's go for this one, beat a Man City team already on the beach, and continue our run of finishing above West Ham every season since the promotion season.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Right. Let's go for this one, beat a Man City team already on the beach, and continue our run of finishing above West Ham every season since the promotion season.

they finished above us in 2012-13 season (our first PL season back up)? remember a very pis*ed off me after losing 4-1 there :(

Bit of a long shot, but.....

I have a ticket for the City game, but am very keen to get hold of 2 more for a good friend who drove me up to Swansea last night, and his son. Both are very keen Saints fans. If any of you have tickets you may not be able to use, will more than gratefully buy them!!

Cheers.

they finished above us in 2012-13 season (our first PL season back up)? remember a very pis*ed off me after losing 4-1 there :(

Huh, so they did... had completely forgotten that one, good knowledge :toppa:

Still, the point stands, West Ham are always one of the teams I look for us to finish above.

I doubt if there are too many people who remember the last game of the 1965/66 season (our first promotion to the top division)

We played Man City away on the last game of the season and had to avoid a 6-0 defeat to ensure promotion ahead of Coventry City.

The City Manager at the time was Malcolm Allison and he boasted about the fact that his team would look to beat us by that score

As it turned out we drew 0-0 and I can remember going for a celebratory under age drink at the Manor in Portsmouth Road

A similar 0-0 result would suit me fine

Meantime if the worst happened and we lost the 9 goal difference and ended level with Swansea on goal difference what happens then?

I doubt if there are too many people who remember the last game of the 1965/66 season (our first promotion to the top division)

We played Man City away on the last game of the season and had to avoid a 6-0 defeat to ensure promotion ahead of Coventry City.

The City Manager at the time was Malcolm Allison and he boasted about the fact that his team would look to beat us by that score

As it turned out we drew 0-0 and I can remember going for a celebratory under age drink at the Manor in Portsmouth Road

A similar 0-0 result would suit me fine

Meantime if the worst happened and we lost the 9 goal difference and ended level with Swansea on goal difference what happens then?

then they look at total goals scored. if the goals scored is also the same- then they would have another game in a neutral location I think (don't think PL uses head to head record)- but they'd only do that if a relegation spot/european spot/title is on the line- it wouldn't happen if huddersfield occupy 18th spot however and us and swansea were joint '16th' per se.

Anyone else starting to get jittery about Sunday despite last night's result and the goal difference cushion? No? Just me then...!

Well, put it this way, last night was fantastic but we cannot take anything for granted. Could Swansea put 4 or 5 past Stoke? Yes.

Could Man City run riot, yes.

Saints need to be very professional. Calm the game down. Keep it tight and match City in an utterly professional way.

Get the job done, there will plenty of time to party if we are successful.

Can Bednarek play ?

The FA rules on Head Injuries suggests to me he cannot play

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/head-injuries-in-football

(A couple of paragraphs)

The medical staff will assess the injured player. If there has been a confirmed or suspected period of loss of consciousness, the player must be removed from the field of play, and not be allowed to return.

The player should not be allowed to return to play for at least 6 days after the injury (it often takes longer than this) and in strict accordance with the return to play guidelines