Alex McCarthy

ivangolac

Most impressive thing for me is him coming for crosses and getting good punches to them. That has made a huge difference, especially with defenders who are not dominant in the air, despite their size.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So good to have a keeper that can command his area, he's made a massive difference to the side and deserves to stay as #1. I would say sell Forster but some muppet gave him a new massive contract when everybody else could see how poor he was.

I reckon one England goalie injury and Alex may find himself on the plane!

YTF did we persist so long with FF? He was devoid of confidence - that was clear to see - and I know of no one who didn't think AM would be worth a shout. I was flabbergasted that he was not given a go in the Cup games.

So good to have a keeper that can command his area, he's made a massive difference to the side and deserves to stay as #1. I would say sell Forster but some muppet gave him a new massive contract when everybody else could see how poor he was.

I reckon one England goalie injury and Alex may find himself on the plane!

Still makes my blood boil. Such an obviously stupid decision at the time and even worse now that we know that persisting further with the useless lump would have relegated us.

Incredible performance from a proper keep. And to think people were slating me when I was insisting Fraser should be dropped.....

Not many were to be fair. The vast majority of us could see what a liability he was.

But McCarthy has taken his chance brilliantly. The save from Ayew tonight to keep it at 0-0 was outstanding.

Very solid keeper and easily our player of the season, should be in the England squad.

That's pushing it a bit, but he might work his way in over the next year or two if he keeps it up.

His command of the box is gonna be huge as we rebuild a confident defence. Leadership starts from the very back.

If players can come on at half time and be given motm there’s no reason to deny him player of the season. Just gives so much more confidence when the ball comes in to the box- especially considering how s h i t e the defenders in front of him are.

YTF did we persist so long with FF? He was devoid of confidence - that was clear to see - and I know of no one who didn't think AM would be worth a shout. I was flabbergasted that he was not given a go in the Cup games.

Some of us remember that year we came up with Reading and he played really well with them, so some of us (I think Crab Lungs is another) have rated him.

I hate criticising someone when they are down, but FF wasn't only down on confidence, he was down on fundamentals and agility. McCarthy's command of the box, shot stopping and calm demeanour have been inspirational and season saving. The Club has a history of persisting with poor goalkeepers too long; even "super Kelvin" should have been replaced long before he was.

Most impressive thing for me is him coming for crosses and getting good punches to them. That has made a huge difference, especially with defenders who are not dominant in the air, despite their size.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This. So reassuring

Difficult to comprehend how much there was riding on that win today.

Not just the game, but the win.

We've just about got it with a scrappy unlikely goal after an absolutely world class save more or less kept us in it... could so easily have been a different outcome.

Football. Bloody Hell.

When it comes to crosses, he is the best I've ever seen.

Totally agree plus those shots outside the area are being stopped too.

Against Brighton, Stoke, Bournemouth, Everton and Swansea he has produced worldies that Forster would of been beaten by.

IIRC, those who went to the reserve (U23) games reported back that Macca looked shakey and cautioned us not to expect Macca to be ready. In the end, he was pushed forward to the first team and we all bit our nails hoping he didn't muck up. The rest is history. If Wolves want him, no offer under £30M please.

He makes such a difference to the back 4 because he cames and wins the ball - either catches it, or gets really good distance on his punches.

Given the lack of decent GK options, he surely has to be an option for the world cup?

It's why I re-started the other thread.....he's been immense and great again tonight. Should really be looking at a call up for the World Cup. Normally I wouldn't say that but as players are touted as being contenders when they have a good few consecutive games then why shouldn't he?!

It's why I re-started the other thread.....he's been immense and great again tonight. Should really be looking at a call up for the World Cup. Normally I wouldn't say that but as players are touted as being contenders when they have a good few consecutive games then why shouldn't he?!

Realistically it's too soon.

That said I'd be more than happy to see him as an option for England on what we've seen from him since he broke into the side.

He makes such a difference to the back 4 because he cames and wins the ball - either catches it, or gets really good distance on his punches.

Given the lack of decent GK options, he surely has to be an option for the world cup?

Unfortunately for McCarthy, there isn't a dearth of good English goalkeepers at the moment; however his form over the last few months must have him close to contention for a World Cup spot.

Uncle Les' insistence on keeping Forster in the shop window to get his fee up (why else extend an already lengthy contract and why appoint a clear yes-man as manager?) rather spectacularly backfired though...

I have just wanted a keeper who comes and claims crosses and corners. Alex has done that using his size to great effect, and it makes a massive difference.

He has obviously worked very hard to get in shape as well, as he did not look that great at Cambridge United when I saw him for the U23's early on this season.

Great to see him come in and make the position his own, and on probably a third of FF wages.