Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex McCarthy

Default Alex McCarthy

player of the year

2. Default

Abso****inglutely

Some truly world class saves of late

Incredible performance from a proper keep. And to think people were slating me when I was insisting Fraser should be dropped.....

Quote Originally Posted by ivangolac View Post
    player of the year
    He's been brilliant, best keeper we've had since the flying Finn

Very solid keeper and easily our player of the season, should be in the England squad.

Very good keeper.
    His kicking is pretty much the only area of his game he needs to work on.

7. Default

With a nervous defense it's some comfort have Alex with composure and talent

Blog Entries

Goodbye Forster!

9. Default

Totally agree.

Be relegated without his saves the last few games !

11. Default

Most impressive thing for me is him coming for crosses and getting good punches to them. That has made a huge difference, especially with defenders who are not dominant in the air, despite their size.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Also... McCarthy injures Bednarek, Bednerak replaced by Gabbi, Gabbi scores... McCarthy kept us up

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Be relegated without his saves the last few games !
    We might still be yet! :-/

He has been superb. Great effort.

So good to have a keeper that can command his area, he's made a massive difference to the side and deserves to stay as #1. I would say sell Forster but some muppet gave him a new massive contract when everybody else could see how poor he was.

I reckon one England goalie injury and Alex may find himself on the plane!

16. Default

YTF did we persist so long with FF? He was devoid of confidence - that was clear to see - and I know of no one who didn't think AM would be worth a shout. I was flabbergasted that he was not given a go in the Cup games.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
    Also... McCarthy injures Bednarek, Bednerak replaced by Gabbi, Gabbi scores... McCarthy kept us up
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
    Does that qualify as an assist?

Quote Originally Posted by igsey View Post
    So good to have a keeper that can command his area, he's made a massive difference to the side and deserves to stay as #1. I would say sell Forster but some muppet gave him a new massive contract when everybody else could see how poor he was.

I reckon one England goalie injury and Alex may find himself on the plane!
    Still makes my blood boil. Such an obviously stupid decision at the time and even worse now that we know that persisting further with the useless lump would have relegated us.

Excellent goalkeeper.

Get him signed on a new deal, only has a year left.

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Incredible performance from a proper keep. And to think people were slating me when I was insisting Fraser should be dropped.....
    Not many were to be fair. The vast majority of us could see what a liability he was.

But McCarthy has taken his chance brilliantly. The save from Ayew tonight to keep it at 0-0 was outstanding.

He is a keeper that wins points
    What a season (or half) he has had

My player of the season

23. Default

Superb keeper. Such a difference having him between the sticks vs a hesitant Forster

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonaggro View Post
    Very solid keeper and easily our player of the season, should be in the England squad.
    That's pushing it a bit, but he might work his way in over the next year or two if he keeps it up.

His command of the box is gonna be huge as we rebuild a confident defence. Leadership starts from the very back.

If players can come on at half time and be given motm there’s no reason to deny him player of the season. Just gives so much more confidence when the ball comes in to the box- especially considering how s h i t e the defenders in front of him are.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    YTF did we persist so long with FF? He was devoid of confidence - that was clear to see - and I know of no one who didn't think AM would be worth a shout. I was flabbergasted that he was not given a go in the Cup games.
    Some of us remember that year we came up with Reading and he played really well with them, so some of us (I think Crab Lungs is another) have rated him.

27. Default

I hate criticising someone when they are down, but FF wasn't only down on confidence, he was down on fundamentals and agility. McCarthy's command of the box, shot stopping and calm demeanour have been inspirational and season saving. The Club has a history of persisting with poor goalkeepers too long; even "super Kelvin" should have been replaced long before he was.

I'd like to see him score a few more goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Pete View Post
    Most impressive thing for me is him coming for crosses and getting good punches to them. That has made a huge difference, especially with defenders who are not dominant in the air, despite their size.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    This. So reassuring

When it comes to crosses, he is the best I've ever seen.

31. Default

Difficult to comprehend how much there was riding on that win today.

Not just the game, but the win.

We've just about got it with a scrappy unlikely goal after an absolutely world class save more or less kept us in it... could so easily have been a different outcome.

Football. Bloody Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    When it comes to crosses, he is the best I've ever seen.
    Totally agree plus those shots outside the area are being stopped too.
    Against Brighton, Stoke, Bournemouth, Everton and Swansea he has produced worldies that Forster would of been beaten by.

We need to make sure we hold on to him. Pay him what he wants

Easily player of the year. Special mention to Bednarek who has looked solid since being thrust into action by Sparky due to the lack of centre backs (cheers Les). Surely be young player of the year?

35. Default

IIRC, those who went to the reserve (U23) games reported back that Macca looked shakey and cautioned us not to expect Macca to be ready. In the end, he was pushed forward to the first team and we all bit our nails hoping he didn't muck up. The rest is history. If Wolves want him, no offer under 30M please.

36. Default

To summarise, Player of the Season, unquestionably - and he only played in half of it!!!!!

He makes such a difference to the back 4 because he cames and wins the ball - either catches it, or gets really good distance on his punches.

Given the lack of decent GK options, he surely has to be an option for the world cup?

Loved the way that he realized we needed more attacking players and took out Bednarek.

He is fantastic!

It's why I re-started the other thread.....he's been immense and great again tonight. Should really be looking at a call up for the World Cup. Normally I wouldn't say that but as players are touted as being contenders when they have a good few consecutive games then why shouldn't he?!

41. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    It's why I re-started the other thread.....he's been immense and great again tonight. Should really be looking at a call up for the World Cup. Normally I wouldn't say that but as players are touted as being contenders when they have a good few consecutive games then why shouldn't he?!
    Realistically it's too soon.

That said I'd be more than happy to see him as an option for England on what we've seen from him since he broke into the side.

His saves of late have kept us up. He's a brilliant keeper. So glad Forster has been dropped.

43. Default

We'd have won the league cup if he was in nets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    We'd have won the league cup if he was in nets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In fairness FF was amazing at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    In fairness FF was amazing at Anfield.
    He almost dropped one in his own goal to be honest. Along with the good saves

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    He makes such a difference to the back 4 because he cames and wins the ball - either catches it, or gets really good distance on his punches.

Given the lack of decent GK options, he surely has to be an option for the world cup?
    Unfortunately for McCarthy, there isn't a dearth of good English goalkeepers at the moment; however his form over the last few months must have him close to contention for a World Cup spot.

Uncle Les' insistence on keeping Forster in the shop window to get his fee up (why else extend an already lengthy contract and why appoint a clear yes-man as manager?) rather spectacularly backfired though...

A proper keeper with good height. Magnificent.

The Swansea fans were praising him after the game, so he impressed them as well................

Blog Entries

Not seen that much of his shot-stopping; but he's an old-fashioned keeper who's brave and decisive.

I have just wanted a keeper who comes and claims crosses and corners. Alex has done that using his size to great effect, and it makes a massive difference.

He has obviously worked very hard to get in shape as well, as he did not look that great at Cambridge United when I saw him for the U23's early on this season.

Great to see him come in and make the position his own, and on probably a third of FF wages.