Key things you would do next season?

ally_uk

If we remain in prem.

For me it would be the following:

Sack Les and Ralphy, sign up Hughes on a 3 year deal and give him proper control and let him gut the rubbish and strengthen.

Quincy Promes or Sisto in, would you go for Shaqiri?

A new center back we need a unit at the back Diop? Julien?

Striker I would go for that Celtic mush!

Sell Carillio......

A bit of work needed

Definitely some real pace up top

New keeper to put pressure on AM

A top CB

And replace Bertrand, Cedric if they leave with starting quality players.

Boufal, carrillo, Forster, Austin to go

At least one but preferably two new CBs with proven quality rather than younguns with potential.

A striker who knows where the net is and isn't going to spend the majority of the season in the treatment room.

A pacy winger, or two.

A new first choice RB.

How much will that lot set us back? £300m ish? How much do you reckon we'll get for Forster to offset it?

A CB or 2, certainly need a big ball winning CB.

Shaqiri (apparently available for about £12m!!!) as a replacement or Boufal.

Sisto or Promes replacement for Redmond

A new CF to replace Carrillo/Long/Gabbi (who’ll probably go)

I’d like a new CM to come in and play alongside Lemina.

First priority is sorting the dressing room problems reported in The Times the other week. That will probably mean selling Boufal and maybe others. The manager is important but he can only do so much if that tension lingers in the squad.

Assuming we can do that then I think Hughes is the sensible appointment. There might be better managers out there but any change will risk more negative energy at St Mary's.

In terms of additions we need someone to lead the defence and a remodelled front line. After that it depends who goes.

Personally i’d Rather Keep Les & co. while we’ve made some flawed signings there’s been more good than bad over the longer run. Equally if Hughes is staying there needs to be a strong transfer committee challenging him. Look at stoke and see a club with a much worse transfer record.

A few players need to be cleared out. Some good servants & some bad buys (Forster, pied, yoshida, Davis, long, Carrillo, boufal)

A dominant center back needs to come in.

An attacking mid with real pace needs to come in.

A back up keeper needs to come in.

A striker who is a physical menace and has at least some mobility.

The players are, on the whole, good.

The bulk of the players are those who finished top 8 and got to a cup final. It’s just that they’ve been mismanaged for 2 seasons that their confidence is shot.

Get rid of a few, yes; Redmond, Boufal, Guido, Forster; and replace with experience

If we remain in prem.

For me it would be the following:

Sack Les and Ralphy, sign up Hughes on a 3 year deal and give him proper control and let him gut the rubbish and strengthen.

Quincy Promes or Sisto in, would you go for Shaqiri?

A new center back we need a unit at the back Diop? Julien?

Striker I would go for that Celtic mush!

Sell Carillio......

NO!

Do that and we will be this season's Stoke in no time. Get rid of Reed and get another DOF (what is Paul Mitchell up to these days?). 2 CB, Promes and a striker is the absolute minimum needed.

Keep Hughes, sign him up. I want a boring season next season, let's just get into the top half again, reestablish ourselves, and push for the Champions League from there.

That last bit was a joke by the way...

Deffo need a new centre back.

For two seasons we have needed a striker who can scores regularly and an AM who is consistent creates and scores goals like most of the other teams in the PL

Finding them is the difficult bit Boufal seemed a good buy but has proved very disappointing so has Gabbadini.

But the main change should be that the club buys more experienced players to play with our youngsters and make certain they have physical presence..

A indepth study needs to be carried out on the Academy to see why there are not many top class players playing regularly in the PL

Sign Hughes.

Review the upper Hierarchy and the powers they have and what they actually bring to the club. I believe Reed has been instrumental in our success over the past 6 years - but it's time for him to move on. Krueger? Not sure what he adds to be honest. I think our new owners already know that and will be making changes.

Massive clear out.

Get rid of those who don't want to stay.

Assuming that means Bertrand, Cedric, Forster, Boufal, and unfortunately Tadic & Gabbiadini. Don't know about Carillo as I don't think he really had a fair chance to settle in but if we can't get a decent return on the money we spent, then keep him for another 12 months.

I hope Hoijberg stays, but he has to add some consistency to his game. Same goes for Lemina.

If a couple of others have to be sold to balance the books, then so be it, as long as quality replacements are found.

For the first time in my 50 years of supporting Saints, I don't think there is any player I would be sad to see leave.

Be realistic about what we can afford, and set realistic objectives for next season (top half and some good Cup performances). Next season is about consolidating once more, and building a team again. We've lost our way. Don't sell us as just a stepping stone club so that we can be used and abused by foreign mercenaries.

One quality right back.

One quality EXPERIENCED centre back.

One quality creative midfielder.

One quality Striker.

Possibly an experienced keeper as backup for McCarthy, although I wonder how the lad on loan up in Scotland might have progressed.

Make sure there is room for some of the younger lads from the U23's to get at least some bench time. Get rid of those in the U23's who are really just makeweights and are never going to be 1st team material (Tella, Johnson, Rose, Wood, Little, Barnes, Olamola, Seager, probably Reed, to name but a few).

Got to make sure the U18's get early game time to see their potential (like Obafemi, Vokins, Smallbone). I have a feeling there are a couple of gems in the U18's waiting to shine.

Massive upgrade of the squad need imo (but I realise it won't get one).

Up front I really wouldn't be bothered if we get rid of all four of our strikers the only one I rate is Austin but he spends more time injured than playing. I want a proper old school CF with strength to hold the ball up with his back to goal and bully defenders at the far post. and someone with genuine pace and skill.

Of the attacking midfielders I only really want to keep Tadic and see Sims get more opportunities. Redmond doesn't contribute enough, Davis is to old and past it and Boufal can go **** himself.

Holding/defensive/central midfielders I only really rate Lemina and Romeu (though both have had stinkers this season) I wouldn't miss HoJ or JWP at all

Defensively I'd like to see how Jan develops, Hodet can **** off and Stephens and Yoshi aren't really good enough first choices. Full backs need more competition and Bertrand will be off anyway (and no Targett is not the answer).

Goal keepers McCarthy as first choice is fine by me Forster can do one.

Manager wise Hughes has done enough to get a crack at the job full time next season.

I'd love to see Brendan Rodgers come in - entertainment would be back then. Not convinced, despite the miracle he has pulled off, that Hughes is a good fit for us long term

This. Forever grateful to him for keeping us up, and he should never pay for a pint in Southampton again, but there would have been mutiny if his name had been mentioned as manager at the start of the season. Maybe not Rodgers even, but with a hearty handshake and a glowing reference I’d rather we looked elsewhere - for fear of going down the Poyet/di Canio/Sunderland route

Sign Hughes.

Review the upper Hierarchy and the powers they have and what they actually bring to the club. I believe Reed has been instrumental in our success over the past 6 years - but it's time for him to move on. Krueger? Not sure what he adds to be honest. I think our new owners already know that and will be making changes.

Massive clear out.

Get rid of those who don't want to stay.

Assuming that means Bertrand, Cedric, Forster, Boufal, and unfortunately Tadic & Gabbiadini. Don't know about Carillo as I don't think he really had a fair chance to settle in but if we can't get a decent return on the money we spent, then keep him for another 12 months.

I hope Hoijberg stays, but he has to add some consistency to his game. Same goes for Lemina.

If a couple of others have to be sold to balance the books, then so be it, as long as quality replacements are found.

For the first time in my 50 years of supporting Saints, I don't think there is any player I would be sad to see leave.

Be realistic about what we can afford, and set realistic objectives for next season (top half and some good Cup performances). Next season is about consolidating once more, and building a team again. We've lost our way. Don't sell us as just a stepping stone club so that we can be used and abused by foreign mercenaries.

One quality right back.

One quality EXPERIENCED centre back.

One quality creative midfielder.

One quality Striker.

Possibly an experienced keeper as backup for McCarthy, although I wonder how the lad on loan up in Scotland might have progressed.

Make sure there is room for some of the younger lads from the U23's to get at least some bench time. Get rid of those in the U23's who are really just makeweights and are never going to be 1st team material (Tella, Johnson, Rose, Wood, Little, Barnes, Olamola, Seager, probably Reed, to name but a few).

Got to make sure the U18's get early game time to see their potential (like Obafemi, Vokins, Smallbone). I have a feeling there are a couple of gems in the U18's waiting to shine.

Would domestic mercenaries be better? Don't know why so many get wound up by the stepping stone comment, it's true for us and everyone else other than 4 or 5 clubs in the world. Even a club like Liverpool is a stepping stone to the likes of Barcelona.

I don't think Cedric or Bertrand will be here next season, so we'll be rebuilding our squad once again from a weak position. On top of the areas that need addressing, we'll first have to replace two of our starters.

2 X RB (Pied is also leaving)

1 X LB

1 X CB (at least) who can handle a bit more physicality than Jordan bloody Ayew

1 X wide attacker (at least)

1 X striker (at least)

And probably a midfielder of some sort as Romeu has been shocking, Lemina injury prone, Davis on his last legs.

That's a lot of upheaval required - and no way in the world should Les Reed and Ross Wilson be around to make those crucial decisions.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Apply for planning permission to put an upper tier on the Kingsland, to take the capacity up to 38,000. Next season will be the 11th of our 11 top-flight seasons at St Mary's when our average gates are over 30,000. We should plan for future growth now. Other clubs are expanding. We need to keep pace if we want to stay in the top flight.

I don't think Cedric or Bertrand will be here next season, so we'll be rebuilding our squad once again from a weak position. On top of the areas that need addressing, we'll first have to replace two of our starters.

2 X RB (Pied is also leaving)

1 X LB

1 X CB (at least) who can handle a bit more physicality than Jordan bloody Ayew

1 X wide attacker (at least)

1 X striker (at least)

And probably a midfielder of some sort as Romeu has been shocking, Lemina injury prone, Davis on his last legs.

That's a lot of upheaval required - and no way in the world should Les Reed and Ross Wilson be around to make those crucial decisions.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

For all those that missed out this season, what price are we to go down next season?

He’s not nearly reached the heights of last season but can’t help but feel Romeu was indtrumental in our likely survival. Just gives such a solid base to the midfield and doesn’t f u c k up. Not a great game tonight but he’s one of those players who will put his balls on the line for us. We’re not blessed with leaders but OR is one of them

There will be a lot of changes in my opinion.

We are too passive at the back, we need some genuine power and strength back there and someone who can actually win the ball in the air. (a leadership presence)

I think Hoedt is clumsy as hell but would benefit alongside someone stronger and quicker.

We need to work out what's going on with Gabbiadini, Carrillo. Sign a couple of attacking goal scorers with pace (Promes/Sisto).

Build around the likes of Romeu, Hoj, Lemina in the middle.

The squad has decent quality in certain areas, but is genuinely a poor mix of 'types'.

I think the mistake we made was the transfer price ceiling. We got used to buying players in the 10-12 million bracket and when the tv money shifted northwards, we tried to continue to buy in that space.

I acknowledge we spent 15-19 million on a clutch of players (Boufal/Gabbi/Carillo/Lamina) but we perhaps needed to shift to 20-25 million to keep pace.

The additional price doesn't guarantee success, but you can buy proven attitude from other premier league clubs for that money.

Ultimately, stop buying crap players and only buy Chris Marsden types and we'll be fine next year :-)

Edited by ooh it's a corner

Really not sure about Promes - could be another Boufal. We need a solid cb as a priority as none of ours are good enough. Mawson is a good shout. Hoet sold - nowhere near good enough, same with Stephens but you could keep one, like the look of Bednerak think he could improve. Forster out, Long needs to go - as does Gabbi. I’d be keen to take a punt on the best of the champs rather than a billy big bolllox on the bench for a big team.

Shaqiri (apparently available for about £12m!!!) as a replacement or Boufal.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's too much like Boufal for my liking. Self centred, not a team player. Great talent, but would lick himself if he was made of chocolate.

Although, if we could get him for £12M and within our wage structure and Hughes could tame him ... maybe get him on the bus.

Assuming Bertrand and Cedric go, we’re looking at possibly a new back four. With Yoshida seemingly on his way out, I hope we bring in not one but two CBs. Otherwise we need pace and power further up the pitch and a mix of players - dare I say it some with actual PL experience. Wouldn’t be against shopping in the championship again.

Edited by shurlock

Reduce season ticket prices by £200 to compensate for the last two seasons.

Widen the bridge

Install travelators from ground to town.

Screens above urinals running Les interviews

Incentivise saying ‘#wemarchon’ by giving you 30p off pie if you say it after you order

And buy a CB

This thread certainly highlights the state of the current squad that so many posters think we need a lot of players speaks volumes. Two bad years of recruitment mean we really need a big clear out and recruit quite a few new players. In reality though it just won't happen no way will we get rid of 5-6 under performers and bring 5-6 quality replacements. For me If I had to pick one part of the squad that needs a major overhaul it has to be the defence. Hughes has, just about, managed to nurse the current lot across the finish line but next year will be a struggle again if we have to rely on them again. Next season we need to build a rock solid defence and then we can build from that.

The squad has demonstrated it has enough to do a job, and even push for top half. If we are to continue with a back 3 one new, experienced, commanding Centre back is needed with Stephens and Bed playing along side him.

I’d like more but I can see Hugh’s getting more out of Redmand and Gabbi, and our midfield three in my opion are quality if managed correctly!

i think if we have learnt 1 thing from this season, the next best European thing is not as useful to us as a proven premier league player.

Butland looks like he is off to West Ham, but would definitely have him here. There probably are some good squad players to pick up from the west brom & stoke teams.

New GK

New LB to replace Bertrand who is clearly off this summer.

New CB

New AM/Winger

+ Maybe a new striker, or just play gabby.

Get rid of Carillo, Hoedt & Forster. I would keep Boufal for 1 more season with the view to selling him in Jan if he is still not consistent and causing problems.