Key things you would do next season?

ally_uk

If it weren't for the fact he's probably on huge money, I'd keep Forster. I would expect him to be very determined to win back the spot that he had been so complacent about. I expect him to go somewhere else to rebuild his confidence and career though.

Definitely keep Hughes and let him build the team his way.

I'd try to get rid of Long and Carrillo. This non scoring striker thing has been killing us. I think there's a place for Austin, Tadic and Gabbiadini once Hughes starts to really make the team his.

1. Replace Reed and Krueger. I'd also like to see Frau Liebherr take more of a back seat or sell her remaining stock. This season must never happen again.

2. Appoint new manager for next season - for me its Sparky's if he wants it (bit worried about the a Wenger rumour I heard, for me he's like Puel and Mope just that hes used to a better standard of players)

3. Hold a detailled discussion with each of this seasons distracted / underperformers. Sell / cancel contract on all those where its clear they cannot / will not rejoin the fold. No effort to be made to convince troublemakers or waverers..

4. Start rebuilding from the back (replace Forster, new CBs, LB/RB if needed, etc., moving forwards. Just like Pardew did.

If it weren't for the fact he's probably on huge money, I'd keep Forster. I would expect him to be very determined to win back the spot that he had been so complacent about. I expect him to go somewhere else to rebuild his confidence and career though.

Definitely keep Hughes and let him build the team his way.

I'd try to get rid of Long and Carrillo. This non scoring striker thing has been killing us. I think there's a place for Austin, Tadic and Gabbiadini once Hughes starts to really make the team his.

I'd keep Long. Not for his goal(s) but for his harrying and pace. He made a difference when he came on last night.

I'd keep Long. Not for his goal(s) but for his harrying and pace. He made a difference when he came on last night.

I know what you mean, but that harrying and pace has had very little end result for us. There are players in that mold who can score goals too.

Part of the reason we are in this mess is that players like Long are considered acceptable. Running hard and chasing are the attributes of an average Championship striker. In terms of actual attacking ability he is woefully inadequate and has scored 5 goals in 2 years.

I would hope for any decent striker to score 10 goals a season, if they remain fit. Be they big powerhouses like Lambert and Pellè, in the box poachers liked Austin and Gabbi or hard working runners like Long.

I know what you mean, but that harrying and pace has had very little end result for us. There are players in that mold who can score goals too.
Long's initial header made our goal last night.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The very first thing I would do is sort out the managerial situation. Hughes must be a contender but there will be others out there who could give us an edge rather than being a comfortable mid table team and we should appoint the best person for the job. If it is thought that is Hughes, so be it but if Fulham dont make it up, who wouldnt fancy Jokanovic here? I would keep Hoedt but we need a strong, decent CB to play alongside him/Stephens. Actually I would like 2 new CBs with Hoedt and Stephens as back ups but with rebuilding needed elsewhere that may be fanciful. As ever, it looks as though we are in for an interesting summer!

This is going to be long so I am going to number them -

1. I think people are being too harsh on Hoedt, he's a 24 year old centre-back in his first year in the PL, in a team that struggled (and wasn't expected to), there is plenty of talent there and I think he'll be much better after this experience and with a settled (and more quality) partner next to him. That should be a key transfer area for the summer, likely Yoshida is going to move on, Stephens/Bednerak are there as other options but we need to replace VVD, especially in stature and strength. Hoedt is quite a cultured centre-back but needs some steel with him.

2. I don't think we will find a better right back than Cedric, we should keep him if we can (he doesn't strike me as the sort of character who would want out or make a fuss) and he should spend all summer working on his crossing. If a big offer comes in then take, but if not I'd keep him there.

3. I think McCarthy has shown enough to warrant a full season as no.1 and also suspect Forster will desperate to get his place black and we might see him back to to his best, plus I can't see anyone taking him anyway. People will mention Butland but Stoke will want £25 million plus for him (unless he has a released clause) and I can't see us paying that much for a keeper and bigger clubs may be after him anyway.

4. Anyone who wants to go, needs to be gone early. Our stand on VVD ultimately cost us, we couldn't use the money wisely to replace him and the unprofessional arse clearly poisoned the dressing room. The season's crapness ultimately may help us in that the bigger clubs might not come knocking but the most likely candidate is Bertrand. If he wants to go, get him gone early, get the replacement early (Shaw would be my choice, I think in a more forgiving and friendly environment, with a supporting manager he could flourish). Should also be remembered that the best left back in the Championship is our player.

5. Based on the stuff behind the scenes Boufal has to go, he's not worked out as we hoped and is likely to go back to France or somewhere like China.

For a club like ours to get one of those super talented attacking players I think you have to accept some baggage (or get super lucky unearthing some unspotted talent) the Payets, Arnautovic's, Shaqiris etc. are at those clubs because of that baggage and you somewhat have to put up and manage that, they just have to do it on the pitch, Boufal hasn't done it on the pitch so bye bye.

6. Long and Austin to me look important characters in the dressing room so I think they should stay. Long is a useful option, even though he is generally pretty awful and if we can get 30 league games out of Austin then he'll be up around 15-20 goals I reckon, but we clearly need another striker of quality, which is tough ask for our budget but the club needs to go all out for this. (Batshuayi might be worth looking at if we can get him)

I suspect Gabbi will return home, and Carrillo will end up dumped on loan somewhere. Gallagher needs to be given a chance I think.

7. Centre-mid I think we are fine with Romeu, Lemina, Hojberg and JWP. Lemina showed real promise of being a top talent but was a bit consistent but it was his first year in the league and again the team struggled. Romeu was at times awful but considering his performances over the previous years shouldn't be written off and Hojberg showed some real quality towards the end of the season that hints at his potential. JWP needs to find a position and knuckle down into it.

What we need to add to this midfield is an attacking mid who is able to score goals, this has been a missing piece in our team for years.

8. Out wide Tadic might go, doubt many will be that sad, he's been pretty average for a few years now and only woke up recently, but we need more pace here, at least one top quality player to come in and I'd like to see more involvement for Sims.

So that could end up being -

New centre-back

New left back

New attacking mid

New wide attacker

New striker.

Very unlikely to happen as even at our prices we'd need to spend £100 - 150 million for that lot lol.

So outs I expect -

Bertrand, Gabbi, Boufal, Pied, Clasie, Yoshida, Carrilo, Gardos (but won't be sold). Might raise £50 million here, mostly from Bertrand.

Maybe Tadic and Cedric.

Leaving -

GKs - McCarthy/Forster

Left Back - Target, McQueen + New

Right Back - Cedric + New (or new + New)

Centre Backs - Hoedt, Stephens, Bednarek + New

Centre mids - Romeu, Lemina, Hojberg, JWP + New attacking mid

Wide players - Tadic, Redmond, Sims, + New

Strikers - Long, Austin, Gallagher + New

Do we need another 'great once every 7 games' attacker??

Far rather we stuck to our transfer policy. Just because it hasn't be so effective recently doesn't change the fact it got us 6th and a lot of great players. We should be taking a chance on the like of Promes. Might be Mane, might be Redmond, but it's worth the risk rather than expensive prem players who haven't shown enough.

To be fair on Shaqiri, 8 goals and 6 assists in a terrible Stoke team is not too bad, especially considering their strikers have scored like 2 in 30 or something.

Do we need another 'great once every 7 games' attacker??

Far rather we stuck to our transfer policy. Just because it hasn't be so effective recently doesn't change the fact it got us 6th and a lot of great players. We should be taking a chance on the like of Promes. Might be Mane, might be Redmond, but it's worth the risk rather than expensive prem players who haven't shown enough.

Shaqiri, apparently available for 12 mill. is not an expensive prem player; he's a proven attacking midfielder who has goals and assists to his credit. He is the type of player that we need.

Sounds like Maya will be off and I for one wish him well.

I doubt we will sell Hoedt under any circumstances, so people clamouring for that should probably adjust their expectations. In time he'll probably get to the level needed. I reckon Bednarek has shown some too.

Like everyone else though I would like at least one competent CB who can act as an organiser and leader.

I do not want Stephens in the back four at all. He can't head the ball which is a bit of an issue for that position. Perhaps he can be moved up into central midfield as a replacement for Davis whose time has surely come and gone.

Boufal is obviously gone and I will shed no tears for him.

I don't think we'd get rid of Redmond AND Long except for crazy offers.

Given the rumours about Rogic at Celtic I could see that happening. That would see at least one of Long or Austin gone. I think Long has come as far as he can for us, and Austin is never fit for long enough so take your pick.

Obviously there's lots more to be done, but I think we should wait until Monday before we get carried away.

Sell Hoedt and bring in a leader in central defence, still haven’t replaced Fonte let alone VVD.

Sign a pacey wide man.

Assuming Bertrand departs, go in for Shaw.

Not sure selling Hoedt is the most sensible, given that we'll probably lose Yoshida as well. I think he is clumsy and awkward to watch but I still have a tiny bit of hope that alongside a powerful/leader type he will be a lot better. We do need at least 2 CB's though. I'd be tempted to loan out one of Bedranek and Stephens, bring in a proper replacement for VVD and then another powerful type to suplement the sqaud. We generally lack a bit of experience back there.

Where did that come from?

Reports the other day that he was going to a Saudi club or something like that? There was a thread I believe. Wasn't the final word from an ITK that it was just crap?

Yeah that's what I was referencing, although I have no real idea. I would like him to stay though. Not the greatest player but a great pro and bloke.

Things I’d do:

Players:

Out - Cedric, Yoshida, Clasie, Hoedt, Long, Davis, Carrillo, Austin, Tadic, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Bertrand, Pied, Gallagher, Taylor, Wood, Flannigan, Forster, Reed, Gardos, Targett plus other U23s (Latham, Rose, Bakary, Cook, B. Cull, Little, Barnes, N’Lundulu, Olomola, Seager) and expiring scholars (Gardner, Siu, Davis)

In - Promes and a selection of European talent, although keeping a smaller squad

Staff:

Out - Hughes and team (done their job), Dave Watson (poor goalkeeping appearance and poor at defensive set pieces)

In - new manager to play attacking football with staff

Board:

Out - Reed, Krueger, Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things I’d do:

Players:

Out - Cedric, Yoshida, Clasie, Hoedt, Long, Davis, Carrillo, Austin, Tadic, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Bertrand, Pied, Gallagher, Taylor, Wood, Flannigan, Forster, Reed, Gardos, Targett plus other U23s (Latham, Rose, Bakary, Cook, B. Cull, Little, Barnes, N’Lundulu, Olomola, Seager) and expiring scholars (Gardner, Siu, Davis)

In - Promes and a selection of European talent, although keeping a smaller squad

Staff:

Out - Hughes and team (done their job), Dave Watson (poor goalkeeping appearance and poor at defensive set pieces)

Board:

Absolutley no chance we'd see that level of change over. Would be careless to do that as well.

Things I’d do:

Players:

Staff:

Board:

:lol::lol::lol:

20 players not including u23's, Our fans do make me laugh:lol:

Absolutley no chance we'd see that level of change over. Would be careless to do that as well.

Two good results and people seem to forgot how diabolical we’ve been this season, many of these are out of contract, many will move on to bigger clubs and many are contracted but surplus to requirements.

Move on Forster, Carrillo, Boufal, Gabbiadini - all bound to go this summer.

Possibly even cedric, wouldn't complain.

Get rid of Reed and even more importantly, Wilson.

-Sign an experienced CB... Johnny Evans would be great but will probably go to a top club.

-new RB

-Direct winger.

-Striker

Things I’d do:

Players:

Staff:

Board:

:lol::lol::lol:

20 players not including u23's, Our fans do make me laugh:lol:

I like the bit about playing attacking football with the staff.... :scared:

Two good results and people seem to forgot how diabolical we’ve been this season, many of these are out of contract, many will move on to bigger clubs and many are contracted but surplus to requirements.

I don't think anyone is forgetting about how bad we've been, it's just that suggesting to sell off 21 players from our first team squad, scrap our management team and entire football board in a 6 week period is just plain stupid.

Get rid of: Reed, Krueger, Wilson, Watson. Replace them with normal human beings with a particular nous at their jobs.

I’d love to look for a new manager but Mark Hughes has more than earned his opportunity - 3 year contracts to him and his staff.p

Move on Forster, Hoedt, Carillo, Clasie, Davis, Gardos.

Attempt to reintegrate Boufal but if he’s a d1ck, get rid and replace with a Mane style player with great pace.

Go balls out for Promes.

Accept that Cedric and Bertrand will likely fk off, but try and retain them.

Reward Alex McCarthy with a new contract and make him number 1.

Scour the world for 2 top class centre halves.

Look for the players to replace outgoing and don’t ever, ever attempt to go cheap and nasty when it comes to replacing first team players again. Back Hughes, go big, as big as we can whilst blending Bednarek, Sims, Gallagher, McQueen and Reed at intervals. As far as I’m aware, they’ve never let the first team down when they’ve been given opportunities.

Squad

McCarthy

New GK

Lewis

New LWB

McQueen

New CB

New CB

Bednarek

Yoshida

Stephens

Jones

New RWB

New backup RWB

Valery

Reed

Romeu

Hojberg

Lemina

Tadic

JWP

Sims

Redmond

Boufal or NEW AM

Promes

Long

Austin

Gabbiadini

Gallagher

New FWD

I don't think anyone is forgetting about how bad we've been, it's just that suggesting to sell off 21 players from our first team squad, scrap our management team and entire football board in a 6 week period is just plain stupid.

There’s gonna be changes but I wouldn’t just ‘football manager’ an entire squad out of the door, agreed. :lol:

I personally think they’ve been grossly mismanaged and with a few additions (some enforced, some not), we can still be a top half team competing for the ‘best of the rest’ title.

It couldn't be done. The window won't start until after the World Cup and then club officials will have a break. Most of these suggested departures would need to be replaced and that would give us a whole new squad but it would take a lot longer to turn them into a team.

There are obviously plans in place for additions this summer. Rogic, Sisto/Promes (depending on which is the better deal) and one other judging by the initial noises in the media look like happening relatively soon into the summer. I would also keep an eye out for Dembele from Celtic - none of the big clubs have been in for him and we may be able to persuade him as a 'stepping stone'. We don't need another GK, McCarthy and Fraser are more than adequate. We will probably need to replace Bertrand and possibly Cedric (a lot depends on their respective summers).

Boufal is obviously gone and I would expect to see one of the Strikers go too (probably Gabbi on the basis of rumoured interest from Italy). Sam Gallagher needs an opportunity next season and he needs to take it.

The one thing I wouldn't change is the structure at the top. Get rid of Reed by all means, but we need a long term approach to signings and the culture of the club. The mistakes of the past few years can always happen. Football is not an exact science and I do believe whoever we had as a manager would have struggled to play attacking football following the loss of Mane and Pelle. Both the previous managers played a continental style not suited to the Premier League, Koeman seemed to have the right balance- but again benefited from probably the best squad of players (all playing at their absolute best) for nearly 30 years at Saints. To me, it seemed we reached our 5 year goal to early and then when Koeman left we struggled to set new, achievable goals.

Looking ahead to next season, there are some bang average sides who are going to struggle. Watford, Cardiff, Bompey, whoever stays up out of Swansea and Huddersfield, West Ham, Leicester (particularly if they keep Puel). I don't expect Wolves or Palace to struggle too much. With the right additions and a more attacking style of play (rather than just pass - pass - pass - pass etc) we should be comfortably mid-table. Which after this season is fine by me!

I can see Bertrand leaving. It was rumoured he wanted to go last summer. It would not surprise me if he stayed for one more year, like Wanyama, Morgan did and like VVD was supposed to. Perhaps Targett will be ready to step in at LB.

Cedric should not go. He’s at his level with Southampton. A Top 6 team will soon get fed up of his inconsistent crosses - the one to set up Redmond against Everton was the exception rather than the rule.

I’d love to see how Gabbiadini will perform under competent management but it would not surprise me if he ends up back in Italy at his own request.

I can’t see a road back to redemption for Boufal. We’ll always have that goal against West Brom.

Carrillo will be hard to shift because we paid too much for him.

I would be happy for FF to go if we can find someone imaginative enough to take on both his shiny new contract, and his slower-than-molasses-in-January goalkeeping reflexes.

I’d like to see Tadic stay, despite the rumours he wants to leave. He seems to enjoy Hughes. You never know.

The rumours of Yoshi moving eastward seemed pretty strong. It would be a shame to see him go.

It would be a mistake to clear out too many members of the first team squad, so I hope that we can limit outgoings rather than have an exodus. Can we limit first team outgoings to FF, Yoshi, Boufal, and Bertrand?

We need a big CB to replace the aerial dominance once provided by VVD. We need more character and leadership. We need a reliable goal scoring striker, and we need attacking pace. We had all of these things once, not too long ago. I hope that Les, Ralph and Ross realise there’s a lot of work to be done with the playing staff.

Things I’d do:

Players:

Staff:

Board:

I can't decide whether this is a wind-up, sheer ridiculous ignorance or a Football Manager expert thinking real life is like a computer game.

Either way, utterly unrealistic.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can see Bertrand leaving. It was rumoured he wanted to go last summer. It would not surprise me if he stayed for one more year, like Wanyama, Morgan did and like VVD was supposed to. Perhaps Targett will be ready to step in at LB.

Cedric should not go. He’s at his level with Southampton. A Top 6 team will soon get fed up of his inconsistent crosses - the one to set up Redmond against Everton was the exception rather than the rule.

I’d love to see how Gabbiadini will perform under competent management but it would not surprise me if he ends up back in Italy at his own request.

I can’t see a road back to redemption for Boufal. We’ll always have that goal against West Brom.

Carrillo will be hard to shift because we paid too much for him.

I would be happy for FF to go if we can find someone imaginative enough to take on both his shiny new contract, and his slower-than-molasses-in-January goalkeeping reflexes.

I’d like to see Tadic stay, despite the rumours he wants to leave. He seems to enjoy Hughes. You never know.

The rumours of Yoshi moving eastward seemed pretty strong. It would be a shame to see him go.

It would be a mistake to clear out too many members of the first team squad, so I hope that we can limit outgoings rather than have an exodus. Can we limit first team outgoings to FF, Yoshi, Boufal, and Bertrand?

We need a big CB to replace the aerial dominance once provided by VVD. We need more character and leadership. We need a reliable goal scoring striker, and we need attacking pace. We had all of these things once, not too long ago. I hope that Les, Ralph and Ross realise there’s a lot of work to be done with the playing staff.

We also need a big CB to help the youngsters and pass on their hard-learned experience. Edited by Whitey Grandad

This.

We need evolution not revolution. I’d keep Hughes, get a centre half in to play with Hoedt, Stephens and Bednarek. Yoshida has been a great servant, but he doesn’t cut it as senior man. Those 3 nippers are all worth persevering with, provided a senior pro plays week in week out, Ryan Shawcross maybe, captain material as well.

I’d let one full back go. With Targett doing well at Fulham, perhaps it’s Bertrand’s turn.

Our central 3 are good enough, I’d also keep Davo around, there’s no harm in a great pro dipping in and out of the side. I’d imagine he’s a model pro, no harm in keeping one of them around the camp.

Bin Boufal, replacement needed. Hopefully Redmond & Sims step up. I’d like to keep Tadic, but depends on his state of mind. Maybe the time is right to ditch him.

Clearly need a starting centre forward, madness to rely on Charlie & the others just don’t score enough goals. Gabbi looks the most saleable, Long can perform 2 or 3 different functions, so he’s a decent squad option.

My outs would be

Yoshida

Bertrand

Boufal

Carillo

Gabbi

Ins

Shawcross type centre half.

Proven goal scorer, strong Troy Deeney type.

Replacement for Boufal, maybe Promes

Couple of youngsters with potential, upfront and wing back.

Who ever we get in, we need some horrible bar stewards, hence my Shawcross, Deeney comparison. We’re a team of ****ing son in laws. With Hughes growling on the touch line and a couple of ugly nasty buggers, it’ll be a better environment for our nippers to flourish. Bertrand, Yoshida and Cedric don’t cut it in that role. We need a couple of leaders, real men.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s gonna be changes but I wouldn’t just ‘football manager’ an entire squad out of the door, agreed. :lol:

I personally think they’ve been grossly mismanaged and with a few additions (some enforced, some not), we can still be a top half team competing for the ‘best of the rest’ title.

I think the big point about our top half finishes is it was built on a very good defense (good enough to make Forster look top class) protected by some very good DMs. If we want to get back towards the top we have re-establish a solid back line in front of McCarthy. The current back line are just not up to it.

I agree, there are some decent options in the squad that have been poorly managed by two managers. It’s like some players have just had their confidence sucked out of them. Burnley have got European football with a team including the likes of Matt Lawton and Stephen Ward. Seriously.

We do need some surgery across the team and some decent characters brought in (particuarly in defence), but I genuinely think that there is a decent base to work with and it doesn't require an entire sack them all and replace approach.

Do what we should have done over the last 18 months - replace Mane, Pelle, Fonte and Van Dijk. Properly.

Replace Bunsen and Beaker, as well as Ross Wilson. Can chuck Dave Watson in there as well, don’t think anyone has improved under his tutelage and his hairs sh*t.

Why do people keep suggesting Shawcross? He's shot as PL player, he's played a big role in what I believe is the worst defence in the league and consistently makes mistakes that lead to goals almost every game from what I have seen (like he did against Palace).

Since his major injury he has not been the same player, his reaction time is glacial and he gets turned to easily, plus he seems to want to try and win the ball from any angle when 9/10 he is not going to win it, thus giving away silly fouls and penalties. He goes to ground pretty much all the time now from what I have seen.

Plus he is likely past is peak.

He's not the player he was 4-5 years ago under Pulis.

Do what we should have done over the last 18 months - replace Mane, Pelle, Fonte and Van Dijk. Properly.

Replace Bunsen and Beaker, as well as Ross Wilson. Can chuck Dave Watson in there as well, don’t think anyone has improved under his tutelage and his hairs sh*t.

How much do you think those “proper” replacements will cost?

How much do you think those “proper” replacements will cost?

I don’t know, I’m not a director of football at a Premier League football club.

But when you factor in the money spent on Carillo, Redmond, Hoedt and Boufal (c. £60m), we are still no closer to replacing them whatsoever.

Our best CB this season has been a young Polish lad we picked up for £5m - there is good value and quality out there, if you look in the right places. The recruitment team need to up there game in the summer.

Wondering if all might not be lost for Gabbi. Whether Hughes' management could get more out of him and get him scoring again. Always liked him but agree he wasn't working with the system under Pellegrino. Would like to think it wasn't money wasted.

I don’t know, I’m not a director of football at a Premier League football club.

But when you factor in the money spent on Carillo, Redmond, Hoedt and Boufal (c. £60m), we are still no closer to replacing them whatsoever.

Our best CB this season has been a young Polish lad we picked up for £5m - there is good value and quality out there, if you look in the right places. The recruitment team need to up there game in the summer.

I agree that there are players out there that don’t cost the earth but as you say we spent circa 60 and went backwards somewhat. So are you saying we replace with the likes of the polish lad (who was much derided on here) or the likes of Boufal?

I’m hoping for a better return on our investment in this next window but can’t see it with wee Ross Wilson around.

I agree that there are players out there that don’t cost the earth but as you say we spent circa 60 and went backwards somewhat. So are you saying we replace with the likes of the polish lad (who was much derided on here) or the likes of Boufal?

I’m hoping for a better return on our investment in this next window but can’t see it with wee Ross Wilson around.

I'm saying we replace the likes of Boufal et al, who cost a great deal and delivered feck all! Hopefully the money recouped from that and possibly some player sales we don't want (Bertrand / Cedric), the leftovers from the VVD cash and some money from Gao / TV money will be enough to conduct some surgery.

But as you say, and as mentioned in my original post, I'm not keen on Les / Ross spending it.