Mark Hughes appreciation thread

saint lard

What a difference he has made.

Keep him on please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has done really well and I hope we keep him on, he deserves it. **** me this season has been awful, just no need for it we'd have been fine if ****features had been relieved of his duties a few weeks earlier.

He's done well and won over the fans, which is really important when you look at the relationship with the last two. Happy for him to stay and think he should, with that in mind, but I'm not fawning over him yet.

Edited by DuncanRG

Great to see his emotion after the final whistle today, he has really put heart and soul into these last couple of months.

He wouldn't have been first choice for many Saints fans had we not been desparate, but I think the timing is right for him to make a real impression at the club. It's clear for all to say that he has made a great impact with the players, at least those that matter.

The club should act quickly to get him signed up, as we shouldn't automatically assume that he won't have potential other offers if we do our usual dithering thing!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The alternative is to let Hughes go, then dither about for three or four weeks, get ourselves linked with an unrealistic top level European manager, which then inevitably falls through and then pi ss about some more then recruit our fourth choice manager sometime early July.

Give Hughes the job now and have done with it.

IMHO he is a middle of the table style of manager.

Not the most attractive to watch BUT he has turned us around.

We were 100% going down until Hughes came along and I’m totally grateful for him.

Would I want him next season?

Much better out there but are we a big club anymore?

8 pts in the final 4 matches, 3 were away. Plus strong efforts vs Chelsea and Arsenal before that. Plus he rips the Everton refs, he rips the Swansea Marriott, and he marches his team off the bus pushing Stewards out the of the way. Plus the team played a game full of passion and effort, and won solely on heart and desire. The guy deserves the job.

Refreshing to listen to someone you actually understand what he is on about !

I’m sure that the players see it the same way and know what is required of them, especially compared to both Puel and Pellegrino who turned gibberish into a fine art :)

Really makes a bit of a mockery of those few people on here wailing because we appointed him and then entirely unable to name some better alternatives.

I wasn't one of said wailers, but there's no shame in not knowing who's out there in the world. I wouldn't expect most fans to know who we should sign, as manager or players. That's what the scouts and data bods are for.

The sooner our board start realising we should not be a stepping stone to the top six for players and managers, and develop our identity as a 7th -12th team the better. No more stupid unrealistic promises / 5 year plans.

That and a few more good cup runs is where we are at. That's as good as we can be and after this scare even the over zealous must realise this.

For a side already starved of confidence, it would have been very easy to throw in the towel after the West Ham rout, conceding late goals at Arsenal and Everton and collapsing against Chelsea in less than ten minutes.

That he helped the side ride out those emotional rollercoasters while having his hands tied to a large extent underscores the top job he has done.

I wasn't one of said wailers, but there's no shame in not knowing who's out there in the world. I wouldn't expect most fans to know who we should sign, as manager or players. That's what the scouts and data bods are for.
There is shame in preferring relegation over appointing Hughes like mulletsaint, or the other posters who backed sacking pellegrino but were grumbling at the thought of Hughes in March in the dire situation we were in. Hughes was obviously the best choice available at the time we appointed him and I'm incredibly glad that he has almost certainly kept us up and made a few people look incredibly silly in the process.

Seven points from our last three games, after the Chelsea game we were down and out. Remarkable turn around in form, so yes he has done very well. Also, credit to the players, who I have criticised and rightly so, but they stepped up their efforts too, so fair play to them.

Popular with players, but not convinced yet. 2 wins. Yes we'll stay up, but who'd have thought it would only take 2 wins.

We still put in some appalling performances and his Stoke signings worry me.

If he does get a chance, fine. Grateful just to have a premier league season next year now.

All fair enough. It was pointed out when he signed that he doesn't usually hit the ground running in new jobs but does well in time.

There is shame in preferring relegation over appointing Hughes like mulletsaint, or the other posters who backed sacking pellegrino but were grumbling at the thought of Hughes in March in the dire situation we were in. Hughes was obviously the best choice available at the time we appointed him and I'm incredibly glad that he has almost certainly kept us up and made a few people look incredibly silly in the process.

Yep, fair enough. We'll never know if Hughes was the best choice but he did the job.

Let's be honest, any half decent manager would have this squad performing. He is a half decent manager, so that's why we're performing.

No reason not to keep him on. Everyone seems to have bought into him, and for the first time in 2 years there are chants for a manager at our games.

We were 100% going down until Hughes came along and I’m totally grateful for him.

We've never been a "big club", have we?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Let's be honest, any half decent manager would have this squad performing. He is a half decent manager, so that's why we're performing.

No reason not to keep him on. Everyone seems to have bought into him, and for the first time in 2 years there are chants for a manager at our games.

This isn't a bottom three squad but unless revamped it is a squad that will struggle again next season. We've been pretty dire all season - management certainly explains some of it but not all of it. I would shed any tears if the vast majority of players who featured tonight weren't at the club next season.

This isn't a bottom three squad but unless revamped it is a squad that will struggle again next season. We've been pretty dire all season - management certainly explains some of it but not all of it. I would shed any tears if the vast majority of players who featured tonight weren't at the club next season.

No doubts there. We're not any worse than Watford or Brighton though, so we should have been a tad more comfortable. We have some decent quality in certain areas, but need a big overhaul though for sure.

Popular with players, but not convinced yet. 2 wins. Yes we'll stay up, but who'd have thought it would only take 2 wins.

If he does get a chance, fine. Grateful just to have a premier league season next year now.

His signings at stoke? From all accounts he was in for half of the players we signed - more to do with the way stoke are run than Mark Hughes

I 100% believed we were gone..the lack of passion, the lack of fight, the lack of any sort of backbone but he galvanised the team. He threw out those who weren't on board and even when we repeatedly threw away chances to drag ourselves away from the bottom three, he still got them to turn up next game and have another go. It would have been so easy to give up and to think our chance had gone.

Whether he gets the job or not, we owe him a debt of gratitude!

No doubts there. We're not any worse than Watford or Brighton though, so we should have been a tad more comfortable. We have some decent quality in certain areas, but need a big overhaul though for sure.

We’re better than Brighton - not so sure about Watford who have some decent players but seem a mess behind the scenes. Note both those sides have beaten the top sides which we’ve singularly failed to do now for two seasons.

Where should we be targetting for Saints though ? After this seasons 'drama' and flirting with the drop zone perhaps a year or so to see ourselves as a safe middle of the table club should not be overlooked. I deally I'd like the ambition to be safely in the top 10 seeking Europa League etc, but taht may take a bit of investment and building to getr back there.

As for "much better out there" - who do you have in mind as a shortlist ? Not sure we should allow Reed the time to indulge himself in a Unai Emery type of fantasy until July.

Are we big club anymore, and do we have the ambition ? We have to await the new owners plans.

Like you, I'm not completely convinced by MH although he has (almost) done the job he came for, and many of us thought would be beyond him or anyone else.

Not sure you can lay the blame for Stoke's signings entirely at his door though, as 'recruitment' involves many others at a club, no longer just the managers selection. That said there was clearly something wrong with the team spirit and attitude of players at Stoke, was that due to bringing in players with the wrong attitude, or an abrasive approach by the management team?

"Any half decent manager"? In my opinion this is the kind of complacent, believe our own hype Les Reed thinking that got us into this mess. Mark Hughes is a manager with a much better than average record as a premier league manager. Yes, he messed up in the end at Stoke, but that can happen for many reasons. He clearly tried to change the playing style at Stoke and bring in better quality players, it worked for a while but the recruitment went bad and affected team spirit. At Saints, he has only been here a short while, but it shouldn't be underestimated the task he has faced in reversing the damage that has been done to confidence and spirit here.

I think if the last couple of years should have taught the club anything, it's that they should be pretty glad to have a manager with the qualities of Mark Hughes. Sign him up!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

At the stage he arrived he had an enormous task whipping this team of underachievers into a hard working tight knit group. I don’t think Marco Silva would have been able to get that togetheress. Hughesie must have torn them apart after West Ham.

To top it off by walking the squad into battle tonight when the Swans stewards wouldn’t let the bus in makes him a ****ing legend in my books.

Give the man a contract. From where we have come to where we are now, is nothing short of amazing.

He is a great fit for the club, and to see the passion and unity which had so evidently deserted the club, back with such a resounding turn is testament to his top flight experience and man management, so clearly lacking with our previous 2 disastrous appointments.

Sign him up!

Only one I can remember, West Ham, his first league match, finding his feet, and us still recovering from the clown hangover. Decent against Arsenal, unlucky against Chelsea who should've been down to 10 men, hard fought (priceless) point away to Leicester, robbed against Everton (but another priceless point), the crucial Bournemouth win, and of course today.

A manager doesn't have the vast premier league experience he has without being decent at his job. If he was at a Mourinho level he wouldn't be an option for a club our size. Offer him a contract.

But QPR QPR QPR QPR.

Are we run much better than QPR of that time?

Taking QPR off of his CV, and his record is pretty impressive. Not sure why everyone is so anti him.

Edited by angelman

Give the man a contract. From where we have come to where we are now, is nothing short of amazing.

He is a great fit for the club, and to see the passion and unity which had so evidently deserted the club, back with such a resounding turn is testament to his top flight experience and man management, so clearly lacking with our previous 2 disastrous appointments.

Sign him up!

My thoughts exactly but I am concerned Reed will conspire another major heads gone moment.

Lawrie Mac predicted that we'd be ok and survive under Hughes.

His reasoning ... Hughes is a manager not a coach. And boy has he managed The Club and Individuals back into believing in themselves and encouraged them to be positive,

and stopped all this poxy tedious passing the ball along the halfway way then hoofing it to their defenders. Whenever anybody got the ball their first intention was to go forwards .... at long last!!

A warrior both on and off the pitch. I would love to have seen the players faces as he led them up to the ground by foot, rather than sheepishly sit in the coach for 25 mins awaiting the ok to continue.

That one action probably had a huge impact on the players, seeing their boss lead from the front.

8 pts in the final 4 matches, 3 were away. Plus strong efforts vs Chelsea and Arsenal before that. Plus he rips the Everton refs, he rips the Swansea Marriott, and he marches his team off the bus pushing Stewards out the of the way. Plus the team played a game full of passion and effort, and won solely on heart and desire. The guy deserves the job.

Spot on, agree with all of that

For me its his if he wants it. What a breath of fresh air and transformation hes made. Puel and Mope can only dream of having big hanging balls like him.

Nevertheless, while Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker skulk in the back office, I fear another "clever" principle/phillosophical appointment will be made.

For me its his if he wants it. What a breath of fresh air and transformation hes made. Puel and Mope can only dream of having big hanging balls like him.

Nevertheless, while Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker skulk in the back office, I fear another "clever" principle/phillosophical appointment will be made.

:lol: at Dr Bunsen and beaker !!

As for Sparky, this is the first time in well over 18 months I can recall us settled, enthusiastic and have some direction and that is down to him.

I would get him signed up in a heartbeat.