Mark Hughes appreciation thread

saint lard

Personally I am very pleased the Daily Telegraph have set the record straight.

Here's me thinking our recruitment has been an absolute sack of sh it for four consecutive transfer windows but turns out that our transfer record is a masterful work of genius. Well done Les and the team.

Here's me thinking our recruitment has been an absolute sack of sh it for four consecutive transfer windows but turns out that our transfer record is a masterful work of genius. Well done Les and the team.

Fine line between genius and insanity...

Southampton believe that their sure-footedness in the market had not eluded them. They feel the £5.4 million paid for defender Jan Bednarek from Lech Poznan in the summer was a sound investment, and so too the £14.8 million paid to Lazio for Wesley Hoedt,

£14.8 million paid to Lazio for Wesley Hoedt,

Yes, definitely a signing to be bragging about.

Whilst not forgetting what Hughes has done for us this season, we should also be mindful of what he achieved at Stoke.... Hughes is a safeish pick but represents a mid table ambition from Saints. Like it or not we have tried to roll the dive on managers in the hope of finding another Poch - unsuccessfully as it turns out. If you put what happened at Stoke down to other factors, not just him, the Hughes for me is a safe roll of a 3 - you'll survive but not break into the top six.

May be that s what the board will choose to do on the basis of stabilisation.

Personally I'd try Marco Silva but suspect he a) might be tarnished goods and b) might be looking for a bigger fish.

Yes, definitely a signing to be bragging about.

I’m not convinced Hoedt is as bad as most make out.

For me, he needs a solid senior CB next to him. As did Lovren when he played next to Fonte. Easy to forget he’s a young lad (same age as Stephens).

Hoedt and Lemina IMO will come good they have shown enough this season as two young-ish players in their first season in the Premier League that they are good players, remember some Premier League greats had difficult first seasons, Robert Pires springs to mind. Plus these guys were playing for Lazio and Juventus, there is clear pedigree there.

Bednerak is a pleasant surprise, but the question has to be asked why he had no involvement at any point earlier in the season.

The big issues are Boufal has been a complete failure, he was supposed to be our wonderkid creator and seems to have turned into a moody sulker, he was badly used by Pellegrino, maybe that has turned his attitude sour, but then so was Gabbiadini and he has been praised for his work ethic and professionalism despite the lack of game time.

And then Carrillo, who yet might come good but seems to be a bit of a white elephant and it seems pretty damning that he hasn't been near the squad since Hughes arrived so is looking like £19 million down the drain.

Too many misses than hits by the recruitment team over the last two years for them to be patting themselves on the back though.

I expect they have learnt a lot. Do you really expect them to publicly announce the Board has been bad and the players have been very bad and the management even worse? Who in any walk of life does that as a PR exercise?

Exactly. I expect a lot has been said behind closed doors that won't reach the light of day. The important thing is not playing the blame game but making sure that the same mistakes are not made again. I dont know how close we came to signing Wimmer, but look how poor that signing turned out to be for Hughes. Who knows, perhaps Reed decided against him and got that one right? Still, instead of being chuffed that we are staying up focussing on the positives rather than the negatives and looking forward to another campaign in the top flight, let's just get the pitch forks out again. I wonder if anyone on their deathbeds wishes they spent more of their lives slagging off Board members, managers or players of football clubs on internet football forums?

Quite, now awaiting the Nordic/Glasgow posse putting the record straight ;)

Someone made a point in another thread that I think is key. Mark Hughes may not be the absolute best managerial option we could attract, but he is here, he has (almost certainly) kept us up, he has the players playing for him, and the last thing we need right now is a third consecutive summer of p!ssing around trying to get a manager in place and ballsing up our player recruitment.

Offering him a longer term contract is a complete no-brainer IMO.

I think everyone who slated him for the Leicester draw should probably issue a grovelling on their knees apology.

As was said at the time.... A vital point that will keep us in the league, from a game we were not going to win and would have lost if we tried.

Delighted with how Hughes has turned out so far.

The only frustrating thing about staying up is we are still hamstrung by the same inept (at best) board. But one small step at a time.

In the Times article it uses Alex as a benchmark signing for 4.5 million to show how good our transfer policy is and that he has replaced Forster. Well as a transfer yes it was a good buy, but you cannot use the argument of him replacing a keeper that cost over twice as much and was just given a new super contract as that really highlights how poor the other half of the scenario is.

I've been impressed by the way Mark Hughes has come in and picked us off the floor. Make no mistake without the change we were sleepwalking to relegation. His fixture list was a nightmare and everybody has said we really could only expect to get the points we needed from four games. Newcastle and WHU were aberrations, Arsenal and Chelsea were decent performances exposing our naivety and and lack of defensive concentration. Since then there has been match by match an improvement and if Bertrand had found row Z against Everton in the 96th minute we would have won three and drawn one of the four, however eight points including winning at Swansea has put us in a good position. I'd like to think we are developing a degree of cynicism and professionalism to close out games.

I watched his three interviews yesterday and he impressed the hell out of me with his common sense and focus on getting the job done. With Bertrand's comments on SSN about the situation at the club and his praise for Hughes, together with him picking up a basket case, his complimentary remarks about the club and how they had been caught out and maybe that was a necessary wake up call. the need to appoint someone quickly to sort the staff situation although the bulk of the squad were good and a few in and out was required. I think he is ideal for us and a breath of fresh air.

I've been impressed by the way Mark Hughes has come in and picked us off the floor. Make no mistake without the change we were sleepwalking to relegation. His fixture list was a nightmare and everybody has said we really could only expect to get the points we needed from four games. Newcastle and WHU were aberrations, Arsenal and Chelsea were decent performances exposing our naivety and and lack of defensive concentration. Since then there has been match by match an improvement and if Bertrand had found row Z against Everton in the 96th minute we would have won three and drawn one of the four, however eight points including winning at Swansea has put us in a good position. I'd like to think we are developing a degree of cynicism and professionalism to close out games.

I watched his three interviews yesterday and he impressed the hell out of me with his common sense and focus on getting the job done. With Bertrand's comments on SSN about the situation at the club and his praise for Hughes, together with him picking up a basket case, his complimentary remarks about the club and how they had been caught out and maybe that was a necessary wake up call. the need to appoint someone quickly to sort the staff situation although the bulk of the squad were good and a few in and out was required. I think he is ideal for us and a breath of fresh air.

100% agree with you

If his name was Marcelo Huelio and we wore a trench coat and had designer stubble, people would be on board. I, for one, would like to see Sparky given the chance to see what he can do next season. Stoke are a toilet club, he worked wonders for the majority of his time there. Let us not forget that Mauricio Pochettino was sacked as manager of Espanyol with them bottom of the league or the fact that Koeman slumped at (and was sacked from) Ajax, Valencia and Everton and yet people rave about how much they would want these managers back. Mark Hughes has earnt the opportunity to show what he can do with Saints and their infrastructure and scouting network. Sign him up.

Good post.

Where can I find these interviews?

Absolutely !!.

I don't care a jot what Stoke fans and players think of him, he has definitely worked for us, whether its being an ex saints player or whatever the reason, the improvements and his passion for Sfc have been plain to see. I have not been left confused by his team selection or set up as I have been with the last couple of managers and it is really refreshing to have a manager who I can understand and relate too.

I was against his appointment but am really pleased to be won over even if the unbelievable happens tommorow.

This. In a summer with an early transfer window finish, we already have a decent manager in place. I don't think he's the best we could attract, but he's far from the worst and has done a miracle job in his short time here. Stoke may hate him but he wouldn't be solely in charge of transfers here which was what they're blaming him for. I'm on board with Hughsey.

Good manager, but i'd worry about some of "his" previous signings. Some of them at Stoke were plain odd, and Man City he thought he was playing Football Manager.

I had an interesting discussion with a Stoke supporter yesterday. He repeated the view I've heard from several on the radio etc, that Hughes was fantastic for them for the first two three years, but it stagnated, and in truth they should have parted company at the end of last season before it turned really sour.

Interesting though about who is responsible for signings at Stoke, and who/how they are worked, by the manager, DoF, board or combination of them. This is one of the issues their supporters are up in arms about. There is no real understanding of this (same for us really). Berahino they believe rests with the board,and CEO. Wimmer they think is Hughes choice, yet they also signed Zouma on loan.

Hughes transfer record is a source for concern, as is his record of falling out with players (although understand this with Boufal, but wonder what the history was with Arnautovic). Wonder why we appeared so much more attractive to Cedric, and Lemina than Stoke.(apart from nicer part of the country perhaps!), didn't one of them sign for us after visiting the Stoke training ground ?

Someone made a point in another thread that I think is key. Mark Hughes may not be the absolute best managerial option we could attract, but he is here, he has (almost certainly) kept us up, he has the players playing for him, and the last thing we need right now is a third consecutive summer of p!ssing around trying to get a manager in place and ballsing up our player recruitment.

Offering him a longer term contract is a complete no-brainer IMO.

Who would be on this shortlist then ?

Safely rule out the bold capture of a Tuchel (who has already rejected our approach)or similar, and Emery as unrealistic, I wonder who is left.

I’d be disappointed and surprised if he’s not our manager next year. The main reason stoke fans seem to dislike him is because of his signings. As our managers supposedly don’t have as much influence on them here it shouldn’t be as much of a problem. Plus he should learn from his mistakes as it would do his reputation no good to mess up transfers in that way again. I think he’ll be with us for a few years and for once we might be settled in the manager department.

My concern is that whilst he's been allowed to change the formation in order to keep us up, when Koeman did that to stop a run of 9 games without a win his parting gift on leaving was a "not bought into the club philosophy" from the club - I question whether Hughes is the kind of manager who'll take a job where he's being told what formation to play and what he can and can't do regarding how the team plays.

Whilst I'm not sure Reed should go as the structure has been successful previously and we can progress and improve within the existing framework, the overall philosophy and tactics have been overtaken in recent years by clubs spending more on their players and far more teams' tactics moving to 3-4-3, and we've stood still tactically and become incredibly easy to defend against. Part of our recent resilience has been clubs not knowing how to play against our new formation having prepared for something else.

But not only do we need a manager who is allowed to challenge that, we need an overhaul of what we do - more money for player recruitment to match that by the other 13 non big 6 teams, and addressing the key areas of weakness that have been identified in both the system and its execution on-pitch.

I’d be disappointed and surprised if he’s not our manager next year. The main reason stoke fans seem to dislike him is because of his signings. As our managers supposedly don’t have as much influence on them here it shouldn’t be as much of a problem. Plus he should learn from his mistakes as it would do his reputation no good to mess up transfers in that way again. I think he’ll be with us for a few years and for once we might be settled in the manager department.

Carillo ?

The mess at Stoke was wholly avoidable but Hughes certainly does deserve to take some of the blame, as do those who sign the cheques. A senior member of their team said a major mistake was they believed they could stop being Stoke and lost their soul/heart and focus.

For various work related reasons I spend quite a bit of time at the ground and training complex and there has clearly been issues for a while which have proved to be the perfect storm this season.

Could Hughes prove to be the solution for Saints? If he wasn't allowed free rein in terms of transfers then maybe as I still feel the collegiate approach to be the best moving forwards and as The9 has alluded to, how would he react to the straightjacket of tactics that perhaps the previous two managers were subjected to?

What we can't afford is a repeat of the total BS of the last couple of appointments so I'd sooner get Hughes in now than another 4th rate nobody in August as I simply don't trust to board to appoint anyone better.

Perhaps we don't need a coach, as the last two were hailed, but a manager as Koeman was.

Just my 2p worth.

My concern is that whilst he's been allowed to change the formation in order to keep us up, when Koeman did that to stop a run of 9 games without a win his parting gift on leaving was a "not bought into the club philosophy" from the club - I question whether Hughes is the kind of manager who'll take a job where he's being told what formation to play and what he can and can't do regarding how the team plays.

Whilst I'm not sure Reed should go as the structure has been successful previously and we can progress and improve within the existing framework, the overall philosophy and tactics have been overtaken in recent years by clubs spending more on their players and far more teams' tactics moving to 3-4-3, and we've stood still tactically and become incredibly easy to defend against. Part of our recent resilience has been clubs not knowing how to play against our new formation having prepared for something else.

But not only do we need a manager who is allowed to challenge that, we need an overhaul of what we do - more money for player recruitment to match that by the other 13 non big 6 teams, and addressing the key areas of weakness that have been identified in both the system and its execution on-pitch.

I totally agree with your analysis, and VFFTs. Both posters also have the same impression I have that Puel and Pellegrino were merely vessels for Les Reed’s outmoded ideas. What tactics are deployed should be none of Reed’s business and at the discretion of the manager. Reed’s job is to recruit the players Hughes or the manager asks for, within reason of course, and to ensure our infrastructure, including the academy, is at its very best. About time we as fans turned on Les very significantly if there is any further signs of trying to dictate tactically. Let the manager manage. Reed is an executive level administrator, figures like Hughes or Koeman are football people. They have to be working in collaboration.

One thing I like about Hughes is that unlike MP, he looked at our players and built a plan around them (not the opposite). He made a system that fit, he didn't ask the players to fit into a system. It only took him a match or so and he had us going three at the back, was playing Long more at outside mid/attacker than upfront, stuck Hojbjerg in the middle, starting bringing Gabbi in alongside Austin (they are a good pair in my opinion), etc.

I'm not being funny but everywhere he's gone he's implemented a very defensive version of something like 5-4-1 to begin with, right from his first appointment with Wales, and that's exactly what he did here. He has literally asked the players to fit into a system he's used multiple times before. The fact it was "anything different" has helped us a lot, as our predictability was a big part of the problem.

Exactly. Hoj has had a few decent games but like most of the squad has been average to poor this season. Romeu has had a dire season compared to last year. Bednarak has had a grand total of 5 games for us. Lemina started off well but gradually got ****ter and ****ter. Its like they have instantly forgot we are (not 100% safe yet) in a relegation battle. That is down to a mixture of poor managers and really **** players. Highlighting the recruitment and trying to spin it as a positive is quite frankly mental. Didn't take long for the club to start talking about how awesome they are again did it. Seems they have learnt nothing.

Bednarek looks like the player they think Stephens is to me, best centre back we've had in the team since January. Romeu's problem has mostly been not having a fixed defensive partner (and what was wrong with Ward-Prowse who grew into the shuttling role so well last season?) - but you're right that selling top 6 players and replacing them with unknowns has not worked as well as it did in 2014 - mainly because there are 10+ other teams sitting in the same recruitment pockets that we are now, and we're in a much worse position to recruit than we were then too.

I'm not being funny but everywhere he's gone he's implemented a very defensive version of something like 5-4-1 to begin with, right from his first appointment with Wales, and that's exactly what he did here. He has literally asked the players to fit into a system he's used multiple times before. The fact it was "anything different" has helped us a lot, as our predictability was a big part of the problem.

Wrong that's not what he did here. He initially went with a pretty attacking 4-4-2 in reaction to MP's system and only reverted to 3 CBs after the horrorshow against West Ham.

Whilst not forgetting what Hughes has done for us this season, we should also be mindful of what he achieved at Stoke.... Hughes is a safeish pick but represents a mid table ambition from Saints.

Three ninths and a 13th before this season with a team that hadn't finished that high since the early 70s... everything's relative.

Wrong that's not what he did here. He initially went with a pretty attacking 4-4-2 in reaction to MP's system and only reverted to 3 CBs after the horrorshow against West Ham.

I think that's splitting hairs to be honest. Wigan was about seeing if Gabbiadini could play in the hole, West Ham was seeing if we could play 2 up top (didn't need the Proof of Concept if you ask me), but neither worked very well so he basically reverted to type for the next 7 games.

Considering how much we bang on about player and manager loyalty, I think it’d be pretty embarrassing if we didn’t give Hughes the job next season. Before this season I would’ve never wanted him as our manager, but he’s completely transformed us in the 8 weeks he’s been here and saved us from disaster. The least he deserves is a crack at it next year.

The mess at Stoke was wholly avoidable but Hughes certainly does deserve to take some of the blame, as do those who sign the cheques. A senior member of their team said a major mistake was they believed they could stop being Stoke and lost their soul/heart and focus.

For various work related reasons I spend quite a bit of time at the ground and training complex and there has clearly been issues for a while which have proved to be the perfect storm this season.

Could Hughes prove to be the solution for Saints? If he wasn't allowed free rein in terms of transfers then maybe as I still feel the collegiate approach to be the best moving forwards and as The9 has alluded to, how would he react to the straightjacket of tactics that perhaps the previous two managers were subjected to?

What we can't afford is a repeat of the total BS of the last couple of appointments so I'd sooner get Hughes in now than another 4th rate nobody in August as I simply don't trust to board to appoint anyone better.

Perhaps we don't need a coach, as the last two were hailed, but a manager as Koeman was.

Just my 2p worth.

Thing is he has probably learnt something signing all these European finalist fancy dans. Sure he isn’t going to be looking for likes of Bojan for us. Do you know why does Arnautovic hates him so much?

Hughes has done enough to warrant having a chance as our manager next season, because in our position when he came in, I don't think that many would have expected almost any available manager to be capable of turning us around. On paper we have a squad that shouldn't have been fighting to avoid relegation, but poor management by the clown had leached us points from poor tactics and inability to motivate the players into believing in themselves and their abilities.

Hughes wouldn't be my first choice starting with a clean slate at the beginning of the new season (barring the most major last day upset in PL history today) but based on what he has achieved in such a short time, he must be given the opportunity to show what he can achieve for us given a summer of recruitment of some new blood and a full pre-season of training and match preparation. In all departments there have been noticeable improvements in the team and the squad. Players who were seen to be lacking in desire and effort have suddenly turned in honest performances and praised Hughes for the way that he has changed attitudes in the dressing room. Tactically we have become less predictable and have appeared to be capable of employing the best strategy to get a result from the team we are playing. Matches under his management have become more entertaining than the boring negative dross served up to us by Puel and the clown.

Sometimes it happens that a particular manager whose career has taken a dip elsewhere, suddenly finds that they are a good fit at another club; the right man at the right place and the right time. We have had that here several times in the past couple of decades. Having been disappointed initially for us to have appointed the manager of the club immediately below us in the relegation zone, I am starting to think that Hughes might be another Southampton manager in that mould.

This

Considering how much we bang on about player and manager loyalty, I think it’d be pretty embarrassing if we didn’t give Hughes the job next season. Before this season I would’ve never wanted him as our manager, but he’s completely transformed us in the 8 weeks he’s been here and saved us from disaster. The least he deserves is a crack at it next year.

Agree with this.:thumbup:

I think that's splitting hairs to be honest. Wigan was about seeing if Gabbiadini could play in the hole, West Ham was seeing if we could play 2 up top (didn't need the Proof of Concept if you ask me), but neither worked very well so he basically reverted to type for the next 7 games.

Don't think Gabbiadini played in the hole against Wigan. He was the main one running in behind the defence for balls over the top. Admittedly that might be because Carrillo was so bad, because Gabbiadini was also the one going up for headers...

Sometimes it happens that a particular manager whose career has taken a dip elsewhere, suddenly finds that they are a good fit at another club; Having been disappointed initially for us to have appointed the manager of the club immediately below us in the relegation zone, I am starting to think that Hughes might be another Southampton manager in that mould.

To some extent I agree Koeman found that out at Sevilla and yet was a good fit at both Feyenoord and Saints, Everton obviously less so!