Great Escapes - past and present ... is this the best ?

manina-pub

No. The others were great escapes. This was just a great mistake. With the players we have we should never have been in this position and they should have escaped. The great escapes came when we had inferior squads, massive mountains to climb and we got results against the odds.

nah. We were always within a couple of good results of dragging ourselves out of this one, and had we gone down, we all would have agreed that it was so avoidable.

In the great escape years during the 90's, we were dead and buried. Blackburn at home, Newcastle at home, but never gave in. We also had some pretty mediocre players that wouldn't get into any other side in the top division, so staying up felt like an over-achievement.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really good feeling last night, but as escape routes go, this wasn't the best.

nah. We were always within a couple of good results of dragging ourselves out of this one, and had we gone down, we all would have agreed that it was so avoidable.

In the great escape years during the 90's, we were dead and buried. Blackburn at home, Newcastle at home, but never gave in. We also had some pretty mediocre players that wouldn't get into any other side in the top division, so staying up felt like an over-achievement.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really good feeling last night, but as escape routes go, this wasn't the best.

Agree.

Yeah, it's a very odd feeling. The team has done brilliantly to dig itself out of trouble, but I just wonder how many of the established players who have upped their game in recent weeks will still be in a Saints shirt next season.

Nevertheless it has to rank up there with some of the best escapes as I think most fans were resigned to relegation after the Chelsea game. You just couldn't see how we were going to win after that collapse.

Agree its not. However I do think this will be one of those moments that people will be recalling 20 years from now. Between the Marriott cancellation, the cops not showing up to guide the bus, the Swansea staff trying to make the team wait on the bus for 1/2 hour (and Hughes marching the team off the bus anyway), and then of course the 1-0 victory, I bet people will be recalling the time the Saints (and their supporters) beat all of Wales back to stay in the PL.

Over the course of the whole season, we didn't spend a great deal of time in the bottom 3, never dropped as low as 20th, and we're effectively safe with 1 game left to play. Contrast that with some of the "classic" escapes of the 90's when we spent most of the season in the bottom 3 or propping up the table, and had to get a result in the final game and hope other results went in our favour - those were true "great escapes".

If, however, we somehow capitulate against Man City and Swansea and Huddersfield both pull off freakish results, that could go down as the "greatest escape from Premier League survival"!:scared:

Agree its not. However I do think this will be one of those moments that people will be recalling 20 years from now. Between the Marriott cancellation, the cops not showing up to guide the bus, the Swansea staff trying to make the team wait on the bus for 1/2 hour (and Hughes marching the team off the bus anyway), and then of course the 1-0 victory, I bet people will be recalling the time the Saints (and their supporters) beat all of Wales back to stay in the PL.

LOVE IT! The Welshman marching into Wales to see us safe!

The older ones were better but this was pretty good too.

But I'll never forget going to the City ground and watching saints climb off bottom spot after beating Stuart Pearce and Nottm Forest 3-1. The chanting of "Saints are staying up" outside the ground while all the Forest fans glumly accepted their fate will never leave me.

The older ones were better but this was pretty good too.

But I'll never forget going to the City ground and watching saints climb off bottom spot after beating Stuart Pearce and Nottm Forest 3-1. The chanting of "Saints are staying up" outside the ground while all the Forest fans glumly accepted their fate will never leave me.

Was that with a Micky Evans brace?

I was too young to remember the ones in the nineties.

The first time I remember us flirting with relegation was in 2005 and we all know how that ended. Then we survived on the last day in 2008 and that was a great feeling.

This one is a great escape though, after the Chelsea game many people thought we were goners. Add to that that we've relegated Stoke, the team with the worst set of fans in the league, West Brom, who relegated us in 2005, and (possibly) Swansea, who tried every dirty trick in the book (not necessarily the club, but certainly the city).

I will let those older than me judge whether or not this is the best ever or not.

We've had better.

Avoiding bottom at Christmas on goal difference (back when it was an unbroken curse), before going on to avoid relegation on the last day (I think) comes to mind.

These last few games and results have given us a bloody good escape this time though.

Over the course of the whole season, we didn't spend a great deal of time in the bottom 3, never dropped as low as 20th, and we're effectively safe with 1 game left to play. Contrast that with some of the "classic" escapes of the 90's when we spent most of the season in the bottom 3 or propping up the table, and had to get a result in the final game and hope other results went in our favour - those were true "great escapes".

If, however, we somehow capitulate against Man City and Swansea and Huddersfield both pull off freakish results, that could go down as the "greatest escape from Premier League survival"!:scared:

Did we ever stay up when it wasn't in our own hands? I always seem to remember we held our destiny in our own hands each time we survived (we may have relied on results elsewhere, but we never needed to if we did our bit)

For me, last night was the 2nd best due to the goings on over the last few games. The thrashing at Newcastle and then the Chelsea defeat. I had totally given up until the Bournemouth win, it's the hope that kills you!

I felt terrible all of yesterday as the game got closer. I felt physically sick in the first half when we were under the kosh. The game last night was as tense and exciting a game as you'll ever see followed of course by the right result. I cannot contemplate how I would feel now if we'd lost.

The best of all time? Surely the fez day at Wimbledon?

Not really much of an Escape, let alone a Great Escape. Great Escapes come when you are a long way behind and you get out, not when you are just bumbling along, drifting into relegation as we were this season. We weren't even in the relegation zone when Hughes arrived. West Brom nearly achieved a great escape this season.

Not for me.

The past great escapes were because we didn’t have a squad of players that were easily capable of a comfortable mid or higher table finish.

They were inspiring to watch and be part of as a fan because everyone throughout the club put the effort in.

This ‘great escape’ was brought on by bad management on many levels in the club over the past few seasons. We (probably) have got enough in the bag now thanks to MH and the players upping their games. But it really was (probably) just about enough, just in time.

I’m ecstatic we are (probably) safe and it was as tense as I would like it. However, I don’t want to go through that again; I’m too old for that!

I Just hope there are changes, appointments, departures and some leadership from our new owner from now on.

I’ll be there on Sunday for (hopefully) celebrations; don’t let us down Saints!

There was 1996. We were 0-0 with Wimbledon at home and City were up against Liverpool and it was 2-2 (they'd fought back from 2-0 down). The last 10 minutes whereby a goal for Wimbledon or City would relegate us was absolute torture.

If I recall. City thought 2-2 was enough and were celebrating (due to the dramatic comeback) only to discover they'd gone down on goal difference.

Not for me. I’d say this was a lucky escape, Swansea have hit the buffers at exactly the right time. We’re extremely lucky to have got out of this, because we’ve been pretty woeful really. Previous escapes were made with one of the worst sides in the league, players playing above themselves, giving it their all, and one genius. This season, we have under achieved terribly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was 1996. We were 0-0 with Wimbledon at home and City were up against Liverpool and it was 2-2 (they'd fought back from 2-0 down). The last 10 minutes whereby a goal for Wimbledon or City would relegate us was absolute torture.

If I recall. City thought 2-2 was enough and were celebrating (due to the dramatic comeback) only to discover they'd gone down on goal difference.

Yes that's the most memorable one for me as well. It was the season that Dave Merrington was in charge and he turned up for that final game against Wimbledon even though his wife was seriously ill.

As I recall it, Coventry, Saints and Man City were level on points for the final relegation spot, we were all playing at home and we all ended up drawing which meant City went down as they had the worst goal difference. Legend has it that someone told Alan Ball (City's manager at the time) that we were losing so he told his players to just play out for the draw when it was 2-2.

Yep. Alan Ball was in charge of them at the time, May 1996

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-mci-liv-matches/five-memorable-man-city-vs-liverpool-matches-idUKKBN16O1FL

Of course it is 95% of this forum said we were down a month ago in the old days we always newcwe would get out of it

I agree. The Chelsea turnaround was such a low point. The most physical shock I have felt watching Saints over more than 20 years. I think a few games ago we were five points adrift! The pleasure derived in this has been the shear surprise that we have actually stayed up. Really great.

For me, last night was the 2nd best due to the goings on over the last few games. The thrashing at Newcastle and then the Chelsea defeat. I had totally given up until the Bournemouth win, it's the hope that kills you!

I felt terrible all of yesterday as the game got closer. I felt physically sick in the first half when we were under the kosh. The game last night was as tense and exciting a game as you'll ever see followed of course by the right result. I cannot contemplate how I would feel now if we'd lost.

The best of all time? Surely the fez day at Wimbledon?

I share the feelings of nervousness equating almost to physical sickness last night.

I also agree with the Wimbledon match being fantastic, when we took what? 40 coaches up and took over South Norwood. Great atmosphere. But nothing quite beat sitting at the Dell on the last day of the season listening to the radio for the scores in other matches that could send you down. Another good memory was against Newcastle 0-1 down almost into injury time, our supporters flooding out, only to miss goals by Le Tiss, Flash Gordon and Shipperley in a three or four minute spell. If I remember correctly, it ruined Newcastle's chances at the top and just about kept us alive at the bottom. Also the Norwich match away when the scores went up for both teams and we won in injury time 4-5 having been 3-1 down. The hat-trick by Le Tiss and the Monkou winner with virtually the last action of the match

I agree. The Chelsea turnaround was such a low point. The most physical shock I have felt watching Saints over more than 20 years. I think a few games ago we were five points adrift! The pleasure derived in this has been the shear surprise that we have actually stayed up. Really great.

Sounds like you weren't at St Mary's 3-0 against Leeds with 20 mins to go...

I share the feelings of nervousness equating almost to physical sickness last night.

I also agree with the Wimbledon match being fantastic, when we took what? 40 coaches up and took over South Norwood. Great atmosphere. But nothing quite beat sitting at the Dell on the last day of the season listening to the radio for the scores in other matches that could send you down. Another good memory was against Newcastle 0-1 down almost into injury time, our supporters flooding out, only to miss goals by Le Tiss, Flash Gordon and Shipperley in a three or four minute spell. If I remember correctly, it ruined Newcastle's chances at the top and just about kept us alive at the bottom. Also the Norwich match away when the scores went up for both teams and we won in injury time 4-5 having been 3-1 down. The hat-trick by Le Tiss and the Monkou winner with virtually the last action of the match

I recall a trip to the last season at Roker Park on a Tuesday night. Egil scored in the 18th minute and we held on.

Agreed. It wasn't an escape as such, just a squad not being where they should be thanks to f**king poor leadership for 2 years.

98/99 for me was the "best" - we were properly sh*t and I think had 0 points for ages - that run at the end was ridiculous.

Agreed. It wasn't an escape as such, just a squad not being where they should be thanks to f**king poor leadership for 2 years.

98/99 for me was the "best" - we were properly sh*t and I think had 0 points for ages - that run at the end was ridiculous.

I think the joke by the end of October was what is the difference between Southampton and a tooth pick - a tooth pick as got two points

Les will be claiming he did it deliberately just to break the monotony of finishing in the hop 8. Best escape was Dellhurst Park season which probably was 88/89 but I can’t be arsed to check. TBF last night had the same do or die feeling and ultimately result, plus it still wasn’t definitely over just as it isn’t now.

As much as anything it feels like other teams around us have slipped up/taken their foot off the gas to allow us to sneak out. As much as Hughes has transformed the whole atmosphere around the club, we’ve still only beaten Bournemouth and Swansea. Definitely thought we were down, but there have been far greater escapes.

As much as anything it feels like other teams around us have slipped up/taken their foot off the gas to allow us to sneak out. As much as Hughes has transformed the whole atmosphere around the club, we’ve still only beaten Bournemouth and Swansea. Definitely thought we were down, but there have been far greater escapes.

Absolutely... Swansea have imploded.

The Swansea game was originally scheduled for March 17th. At that time, Swansea had 31 points (from 30 games), and were in reasonably decent form. Whereas we had just been badly tonked by Newcastle.

Thanks to the FA cup fixtures (for both sides), it got rescheduled... Swansea managed only 2 further points in the intervening 6 games before playing us last night.

I guess that's the bit of luck we've been missing.

98/99 was my favourite, when the legend of Pahars was born. We still had some very good players in that team they were just massively under performing, much like this season.

i wouldn’t say this season was a great escape as such, more luck that despite our horrendous form we never quite fell away from the pack.

I agree with the majority here saying that this was an underachieving team always a few results from pulling away.

I wrote a blog post about how lucky the board were that the late gamble with Hughes paid off here if you're interested:

missedtrees.wordpress.com/2018/05/09/saints-board-fortunate-that-hughes-sparks-a-revival-to-save-top-flight-status

I think the Swansea match was as tense as I remember. Here are my few memories -

The Wimbledon one where we finished and Man City were still playing - I was listening to my tranny in the east stand. I’m not sure they even had commentary of City?

Losing 1 0 at Villa (Dryden own goal). In the home end but keeping a low profile ( or so we thought - radios pressed to ears) very loud brummies behind is congratulated us on staying up.

The dellhurst Park year. Lost my fez with first goal. Thought we were then safe but amazingly everyone else won - did Charlton win 5-4? We knew we’d win the remaining home game tho - we never went down.

West Ham away in Bally’s first season was the best for me. Matt was sublime that day, their twts ran on the pitch and game was delayed in the added time they equalised but it didn’t matter, we were safe anyway. That spell when Bally first took charge was magical. Some great goals, and performances. Defo my favourite escape.

West Ham away in Bally’s first season was the best for me. Matt was sublime that day, their twts ran on the pitch and game was delayed in the added time they equalised but it didn’t matter, we were safe anyway. That spell when Bally first took charge was magical. Some great goals, and performances. Defo my favourite

That was a great day. The equaliser that we scored for them after the stopage was planned and agreed between the teams, allegedly. Back off the pitch we knew that we were safe with a draw and the first chance we get Monkou (?) plants a great heady right inside the foot of our post. Cue all the players and officials belting for the tunnel and another picth invasion.

Did we ever stay up when it wasn't in our own hands? I always seem to remember we held our destiny in our own hands each time we survived (we may have relied on results elsewhere, but we never needed to if we did our bit)

The memory's a bit hazy but for some reason Wimbledon away and Richard Dryden seem to spring to mind (did he score an o.g. but we still managed to get a result?) Of course, I may be barking up completely the wrong tree.

An of course there was the classic 5-4 match against Norwich, where we never lead until Ken Monkou scored with virtually the last kick (header!) of the match. I know that wasn't on the final day of the season, but without those 2 extra points we would have been relegated that season.

Some great seasons back then, when we were consistently punching above out weight due to the financial constraints of playing at The Dell.

1998/99 for me as well. We were a long way adrift at the turn of the year and just kept on winning home games. 3-1 down at home to Blackburn and got it back to 3-3 (and nearly nicked it). Coming from behind v Leicester, and then Dellhurst and the final game home in Everton. In the bottom 3 all season until the Leicester win. Spirit in the team that season was amazing, which made up for their limitations.

This season is more about managerial ineptitude getting us into a mess. We have the players for a mid-table team. Just beggars belief why MoPe was appointed and why he was allowed to stay so long. Would have been a completely avoidable relegation.

West Ham away in Bally’s first season was the best for me. Matt was sublime that day, their twts ran on the pitch and game was delayed in the added time they equalised but it didn’t matter, we were safe anyway. That spell when Bally first took charge was magical. Some great goals, and performances. Defo my favourite escape.

That was my favourite too, those Liverpool, Newcastle and Villa victories were great with MLT in amazing post Branfoot form and two legends in charge.

Although if we are talking purely about the greatest escape per se I’d have to go for 98/99 - also featuring Mark Hughes. A season on a par with this one for grimness, first win not for 10 games which was Coventry home and didn’t get out of the bottom 3 until Leicester with 3 games to go. Home form kept us alive, first away win was the memorable Dellhurst although did also got to Derby and see us pick up a useful point. At Selhurst, media said we had 10k fans but I was there and it was far more than that, gate was 24k iirc and Wimbledon 8-9k tops. Then Pahars double v Everton - would love to have a player if his pace and directness now, made all the difference late on. Not bad in the air either.

Mind you, relegation battles were different in the 90s - stuck in a 15k stadium and we were real underdogs. Not sure what this excuse is for this season!