Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

We are happy to sell our players early. Norwich also happy to do deals (with leicester)

WHU have already signed a few, Arsenal too

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents **** Poor Performance

Well, as I said in my post above, Proper Planning and Preparation does not necessarily mean buying early. The fine balance that Ross Wilson and Les Reed have to find is the decision between, say, settling for Ben Gibson now or holding out to the end of the window for the opportunity to sign another Toby. Their job is to give the manager the best possible team for the season, NOT just to get bodies in to start pre-season. Put simply, if we had the choice between signing all of our 2nd choices today, or all our 1st choices on August 8th, it is a total no-brainer for me. No amount of pre-seasons will turn, say, Jack Stephens into Virgil Van Dijk.

Of the players signed by other (similar) clubs to us, which would improve us? Is Issa Diop definitely better than Lemina? Ryan Fredericks vs Cedric? Rui Patrizio or Fabianski vs Alex McCarthy?

Well, as I said in my post above, Proper Planning and Preparation does not necessarily mean buying early. The fine balance that Ross Wilson and Les Reed have to find is the decision between, say, settling for Ben Gibson now or holding out to the end of the window for the opportunity to sign another Toby. Their job is to give the manager the best possible team for the season, NOT just to get bodies in to start pre-season. Put simply, if we had the choice between signing all of our 2nd choices today, or all our 1st choices on August 8th, it is a total no-brainer for me. No amount of pre-seasons will turn, say, Jack Stephens into Virgil Van Dijk.

Of the players signed by other (similar) clubs to us, which would improve us? Is Issa Diop definitely better than Lemina? Ryan Fredericks vs Cedric? Rui Patrizio or Fabianski vs Alex McCarthy?

[emoji122]

I get the feeling that the usual moaners on here would be all over the management if we bought early with, "why spunk our money on the first available player, why not wait a bit to see if there are better options, we have all summer".

Moaning about the club just for the sake of it or to wind people up. Why some of these even bother to support Saints is beyond me.

Buying early doesn't mean you've signed your 2nd choice.

You're confusing decisiveness with indecision

Club spoke about its ambition to get business done early. They've failed

Why have you concluded it is indecision? That is jumping to conclusions on no evidence.

It is 20th June, the players go to China for the start of pre-season in 10 days time. If a player signed today he wouldn't have training tomorrow. It is still early now.

Read my original post. It is very close to impossible for a club like us to buy our first choices early. We are in a market where there will be competition for every player we approach, which plays into the hands of the selling club and the player, who have very little motivation to get things done early. We can be as decisive as we like but it won't make a jot of difference if either the selling club or the player want to hold on and see what other opportunities come along. You cannot be indecisive if the decision is not yours to make.

Based on the rumours we are hearing, we have made concrete offers for at least Maddison and Gibson, and possibly others. That doesn't seem like indecision to me. If we were still weighing up whether to make an offer for Maddison or Wilshere or Haidara while each of them moved elsewhere then that would be indecision. But that has very evidently not happened here.

He's a massive upgrade on Hojbjerg, JWP and Davis, fitness issues notwithstanding.

But you cant compare an advanced playmaker like Wilshire to a DM in Hojberg and Davis and a RM / central mid in JWP, but if we are comparing, ill wager JWP scores more goals and spends far less time on the medical bench than Wilshire will next season...

0 goals scored last season.

15 In his entire time at gunners and you think he is better than what we already have? i reckon JWP will have a lot more than 15 when he is 26 years old....

Read my original post. It is very close to impossible for a club like us to buy our first choices early. We are in a market where there will be competition for every player we approach, which plays into the hands of the selling club and the player, who have very little motivation to get things done early. We can be as decisive as we like but it won't make a jot of difference if either the selling club or the player want to hold on and see what other opportunities come along. You cannot be indecisive if the decision is not yours to make.

Based on the rumours we are hearing, we have made concrete offers for at least Maddison and Gibson, and possibly others. That doesn't seem like indecision to me. If we were still weighing up whether to make an offer for Maddison or Wilshere or Haidara while each of them moved elsewhere then that would be indecision. But that has very evidently not happened here.

Everything you say is right mate but a word of advice don`t try and reason with Heisenberg, he doesn`t understand how things actually work

That Salzburg player sounds like Mane Mk.2, hope that one is true.

Also would be happy with Wilshere, would definitely improve our team, injuries is a worry but had a much better season last year.

But I suspect the likes West Ham and Everton will throw money at him and he'll get the £130k a week he wants which we won't offer.

Also would be happy with Wilshere, would definitely improve our team, injuries is a worry but had a much better season last year.

But I suspect the likes West Ham and Everton will throw money at him and he'll get the £130k a week he wants which we won't offer.

He's a central midfielder - definitely not another Mane. His highlights reel isn't up to much either compared to SM either, though he's only had one full season.

That Salzburg player sounds like Mane Mk.2

Not really, he has seemingly spent the majority of his time as a central midfielder, where as Mane was in the attacking positions.

Record for both at Salzburg...

Amadou Haidara = 36 games & 4 goals = 0.1 goals per game

Sadio Mane = 87 games & 45 goals = 0.5 goals per game

Mane is an attacking midfielder/winger/striker and a goalscorer, Haidara is not.

Not really that similar, although he is what I'd call an attacking midfielder type. The other lad we were linked with (according to an ITK) is a lot more Mane-esque - Moses Simon.

This is interesting on Haidara:

https://janrihaplateau.wordpress.com/2017/11/05/amadou-haidara-destined-for-the-top/

But he isn't similar to Maddison at all so assume we still want a player of that profile i.e a no10.

Haidara seems like a Lemina or JWP competitor.

As an aside, I wonder if, after the articles from Wilson and Wallace bigging up our plans for January after selling VVD, the club have decided to be a lot more low key.

There have been no articles of that type, nothing in the Echo, nor via Blackmore which is probably better, despite the crave for information.

Where Reed and Willo are concerned, actions need to speak louder than words.

There's an enormous amount of speculation being touted at the moment and I am not of the opinion that all of it has any substance at all.In the past,as now,I await the official confirmation of players signing/leaving because various posters pretend they are ITK when they are just as speculative as the Journos who spread the rumours in the first place.There are many players I would like to join /leave us but that doesn't mean they will.

https://janrihaplateau.wordpress.com/2017/11/05/amadou-haidara-destined-for-the-top/

But he isn't similar to Maddison at all so assume we still want a player of that profile i.e a no10.

As an aside, I wonder if, after the articles from Wilson and Wallace bigging up our plans for January after selling VVD, the club have decided to be a lot more low key.

There have been no articles of that type, nothing in the Echo, nor via Blackmore which is probably better, despite the crave for information.

I predicted we'd get one after Maddison was confirmed at Leicester, so lets see if I'm right.

Not really that similar, although he is what I'd call an attacking midfielder type. The other lad we were linked with (according to an ITK) is a lot more Mane-esque - Moses Simon.

Yeah, & the other fella from Iran who plays in Holland. Were they credible ITK's? I can't remember who posted them now.

Yeah, & the other fella from Iran who plays in Holland. Were they credible ITK's? I can't remember who posted them now.

Crab Lungs posted them. Although side note, he doesn’t start for Iran tonight. Thought he was their standout player. Must have a knock.

Very worrying how little it looks like we're willing to spend this Summer, despite the glaring holes in our squad.

This seems to be the way life is going to be under Gao.

I'm more concerned about lack of progress, window shuts before the season starts this year but we seemingly have made no progress on any targets.

I'm more concerned about lack of progress, window shuts before the season starts this year but we seemingly have made no progress on any targets.

Maybe we are waiting for the ‘what’s left over.’

It’s like eating a KFC bucket and getting to the last two and thinking ‘fuxk these don’t look so good now.’

Very worrying how little it looks like we're willing to spend this Summer

Why have you jumped to that conclusion on 21st June? How do you know what will happen in the rest of the window?

It appears Saints made a huge bid for Maddison, so how is that not showing a willingness to spend?

Why have you jumped to that conclusion on 21st June? How do you know what will happen in the rest of the window?

It appears Saints made a huge bid for Maddison, so how is that not showing a willingness to spend?

Agree it’s not an issue about an unwillingness to spend money.

For me it’s purely a competency issue. Do we trust lazy Les and work-shy Wilson to overhaul the squad in time for the start of the PL season? We need 3-4 new players minimum and then good replacements for every key player that leaves.

Only 7 weeks to go and it looks like we are about to sell our only consistently creative player, with only Gibson on the horizon as an incoming.

Poor start to the window, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, he has seemingly spent the majority of his time as a central midfielder, where as Mane was in the attacking positions.

Record for both at Salzburg...

Amadou Haidara = 36 games & 4 goals = 0.1 goals per game

Sadio Mane = 87 games & 45 goals = 0.5 goals per game

Mane is an attacking midfielder/winger/striker and a goalscorer, Haidara is not.

Fair enough, different sort of player by the sounds of it, but promising sounding none the less. That Moses Simon seems to be linked to Liverpool.

He sounds similar to descriptions I have heard about Luan, who I have thought is a player we should get for years, we need someone with that sort of playmaker quality.

It's also why I'd like Wilshere, he's one of those players who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and really influence a game, especially in those turgid games where it all goes a bit slow and not much happens.

Not sure we have that, aside maybe Lemina our midfielders are all quite safe and predictable sort of players, all very tidy and technical but not much creativity or goals there.

Yeah, I'm not so sure we did or had an intention to buy anyway. Same as Promes in Jan.

Yeah, I'm not so sure we did or had an intention to buy anyway. Same as Promes in Jan.

You're skeptical! We bid the asking price and matched leicesters fee.

We were confident and relaxed.... Until JM said he wasn't prepared to take a pay cut from norwich and we saw him holding the leicester shirt aloft.

We were serious buyers, just leicester were more serious

We were confident and relaxed.... Until JM said he wasn't prepared to take a pay cut from norwich and we saw him holding the leicester shirt aloft.

I must have missed that quote, can you provide a link for that. I'm not accusing you of making that up, I'm just amazed that he would be on wages that high at a Championship club that outstrip a new 5 year contract at a settled to half Premier League side.

I must have missed that quote, can you provide a link for that. I'm not accusing you of making that up, I'm just amazed that he would be on wages that high at a Championship club that outstrip a new 5 year contract at a settled to half Premier League side.

I am.

I'm confident you haven't got a shred of evidence for that. Southampton's wage budget dwarfs Norwich's. If Saints were offering £25m for a player, he'd be offered a huge wage far in excess of what Norwich pay him.

I'm confident you haven't got a shred of evidence for that. Southampton's wage budget dwarfs Norwich's. If Saints were offering £25m for a player, he'd be offered a huge wage far in excess of what Norwich pay him.
He doesn't need evidence....he has an opinion on everything that is always right...anyone that disagrees is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So if Tadic leaves, Boufal leaves and either Cedric or Bertrand forces through a move this summer, with the existing weaknesses in the squad the club will need to make a minimum of 5-6 significant transfers just to stay competitive. I just can't see that happening.