Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Anybody know many of the 19 other PL clubs are yet to sign a player?

PL teams without a 1st team signing so far this summer, 10 days before pre-season training starts...

Burnley

Everton

Chelsea

Spurs

Fulham

Bournemouth

Saints

So 7 teams (eight if you include Newcastle who have only signed players they had on loan last season). Some others only have 1 or 2 new players.

Those other clubs didn't survive by the skin of their teeth, nor are they about to sell their most creative player as. Frankly I don't care whether other clubs have/haven't signed anyone yet. We have a lot of work to do just to survive especially if Tadic is going so I would suggest we need to get on with it. Or we could amble arrogantly into another season with a very average squad.

PL teams without a 1st team signing so far this summer, 10 days before pre-season training starts...

Burnley

Everton

Chelsea

Spurs

Fulham

Bournemouth

Saints

So 7 teams (eight if you include Newcastle who have only signed players they had on loan last season). Some others only have 1 or 2 new players.

Not really the point, we were utter sh!t last season and only going in one direction without some serious improvements in players. Plus they're not about to sell their best player either...

We need some quality in the side, and there are very little rumours to suggest thats on the way...

I must have missed that quote, can you provide a link for that. I'm not accusing you of making that up, I'm just amazed that he would be on wages that high at a Championship club that outstrip a new 5 year contract at a settled to half Premier League side.

No. It called hypothesising.

So if Tadic leaves, Boufal leaves and either Cedric or Bertrand forces through a move this summer, with the existing weaknesses in the squad the club will need to make a minimum of 5-6 significant transfers just to stay competitive. I just can't see that happening.

Exactly, yet the ridiculousness of our ticket pricing remains. Les, Ross and Gao taking us for utter mugs.

Anybody know many of the 19 other PL clubs are yet to sign a player?

Burnley

Everton

Chelsea

Spurs

Fulham

Bournemouth

Saints

Not really the point

He asked a question how many of the other PL teams have not signed a player and I answered his question with a list of those teams. So how is it not the point? :?

Both Saints and Everton are after Mooy, according to this SI article, which is based on an HITC article, which is based on a Sun article...

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/21/everton-and-southampton-target-ps18m-huddersfield-star-premier-league-transfer-battle

**** me is their anyone Everton aren't interested in? Seems like every transfer story will name check Everton as interested.

Would take Mooy as a Davis replacement. The worry then though is that we still haven’t plugged the 3 holes we have within the team at centre back, out wide and up top, plus likely replacing Boufal and Tadic alongside Pied (& potentially others).... can’t see us signing a min 7 players in the next 6-7 weeks

Would take Mooy as a Davis replacement. The worry then though is that we still haven’t plugged the 3 holes we have within the team at centre back, out wide and up top, plus likely replacing Boufal and Tadic alongside Pied (& potentially others).... can’t see us signing a min 7 players in the next 6-7 weeks

Yeah, Mooy is OK but way down the list of priority positions for a signing.

It's because it's phase two of the 'paying off Gao's debts by buying a football club' plan. Keep fans happy by pretending to splash cash. Then don't. And sell Tadic. Bertrand will be next. Or Lemina. Go on, club, prove all this wrong. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les on getting business done early and the type of squad to play at the top of the PL.

#happiertimes

If you even look back to that window though....we signed Juanmi, Caulker, Martina, Clasie. Terrible additions. 3 decent signings from that window in Virgil, Cedric and Romeu. That's when the **** started to hit the fan for me.

If you even look back to that window though....we signed Juanmi, Caulker, Martina, Clasie. Terrible additions. 3 decent signings from that window in Virgil, Cedric and Romeu. That's when the **** started to hit the fan for me.

Agree.

Mooy...good player, not a player we need...

CB, RB, AM, RW, ST minimum needed IMO...

GK, 2nd CB, LW nice to have....

Thats 8 players, we also could easily move 10 on. I just don't understand how this summer has gone so far.

No way are we buying 8 new players and shipping out 10 never going to happen.

Yeah, Mooy is OK but way down the list of priority positions for a signing.

We seem to being linked with a lot of centre-mids though (wilshere, armstrong, haidara, mooy), that article suggests Mooy is an alternative to Maddison, so a no.10 type player but I'd more say he as was more of deeper lying playmaker type.

Similar in fact to Wilshere.

And Haidara by the descriptions of how he plays.

Seems we are looking for a centre-mid playmaker type player.

Mooy...good player, not a player we need...

CB, RB, AM, RW, ST minimum needed IMO...

GK, 2nd CB, LW nice to have....

Thats 8 players, we also could easily move 10 on. I just don't understand how this summer has gone so far.

We don't need a RB, Pied played 6 games for us in two years. Stephens can play right back, Yoshida can fill there and I'd rather have a youngster on the bench to fill in than spending money on a guy who is going to be back up.

We also have only been linked with one striker, Keinan Davis from Villa, all the other links have been for attacking mids, centre mids, centre-backs and wide players.

We are also not going to bring in 8 players, unless several go.

I reckon they are realistically looking to get in a CB, CM/AM and wide player, + maybe another wide player if both Boufal and Tadic leave.

4 in I reckon.

No team has a 100% hit rate on transfers, you've got to cut them a bit of slack.

But Martina did a job as a squad while Cedric was bedding in.

Caulker had mental health issues so didn't get back to the form we hoped he'd regain, was a bit unfortunate

No team has a 100% hit rate on transfers, you've got to cut them a bit of slack.

Caulker had mental health issues so didn't get back to the form we hoped he'd regain, was a bit unfortunate

I absolutely agree with that, impossible for teams to get success on all their transfers and I'm not expecting the club to get 100% on this. The issue I have is that the percentage for us has swung since that season, and a higher percentage of our deals are now not really cutting it.

Hoedt, Carrillo, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Redmond - our main and biggest signings over the last couple of windows, and they have all been relatively crap in terms of return.

Compare that to the days when we signed Mane, Tadic, Toby, Pelle, Bertrand, Long - yes, we signed a couple of duds in that window in Gardos and Taider (if he counts), but the good certainly outweighed the bad. Similar the season before - Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo....obviously Osvaldo flopped, but the other two were mainstays.

I want to see us getting back to that – I don’t expect us to never sign a dud again, but the return on successful additions needs to be much greater, otherwise we’ll just continue to throw money down the pan.

We won't be in for a striker unless we sell - we already have Gabbi / Austin / Long / Carrillo and Gallagher. We've spent £50m+ on that lot and they must be on a combined salary of £350k a week - so that's another £18m a year liability. Meantime we only have one striker birth. Frankly unless we can get rid of two of those strikers there is no chance of us buying another hence why we are not linked with any forwards. Think it is pretty clear that Gao will cap salary and start transfers at £0 so he can start servicing debt - so we need to sell before we buy.

Given our high wage bill and bloated squad this actually isn't the end of the world (in regards the ambition to be a mid-table Prem club with some good cup runs). However - it does mean we need to be strong in negotiations and smart with contracts - something we clearly haven't been over the past few years (ref: Fraser / Carrillo / Boufal / Hoet and if true the wages of Gallagher/Stephens/Targett etc). Problem is those who have made those decisions are still making them....

I read the other day that only 40% of Premiership transfers are deemed "successful." I say only but I guess as nothing is certain in life, perhaps that is a good percentage? Certainly for the bigger clubs who can take the hit both financially and within their squads. Not so good for clubs of our size though.

I find it hard to believe we wouldn't bring in a striker. Lb if Bertrand leaves, cb, am, wide player and attacker.

We won't be in for a striker unless we sell - we already have Gabbi / Austin / Long / Carrillo and Gallagher. We've spent £50m+ on that lot and they must be on a combined salary of £350k a week - so that's another £18m a year liability. Meantime we only have one striker birth. Frankly unless we can get rid of two of those strikers there is no chance of us buying another hence why we are not linked with any forwards. Think it is pretty clear that Gao will cap salary and start transfers at £0 so he can start servicing debt - so we need to sell before we buy.

Given our high wage bill and bloated squad this actually isn't the end of the world (in regards the ambition to be a mid-table Prem club with some good cup runs). However - it does mean we need to be strong in negotiations and smart with contracts - something we clearly haven't been over the past few years (ref: Fraser / Carrillo / Boufal / Hoet and if true the wages of Gallagher/Stephens/Targett etc). Problem is those who have made those decisions are still making them....

My thinking is the same as Hodgey.

No way will be buy another striker after just spending the best part of £20m on Carillo. Whether we rate him or not, unless he is moved on for the fee we paid (no way) or we sell another one (or two) strikers, we won't be bringing another one in. In fact, we may well sell Gallagher and still not bring another one in.

I think we will bring in 2 attacking players (AM/winger types), and they will replace Tadic and Boufal.

I think we also bring in a CB (Gibson) and possibly a CM if Classie and Reed are sold. I also have a sneaky feeling Steve Davis may move on.

Unless Cedric goes we will not sign a new RB. Can see one of Bertrand/Targett/McQueen being sold.

We will not sign another 'keeper unless either Forster or McCarthy go (can't see either happening).

So, by reckoning, 7 or 8 out with 3 or 4 coming in.

I absolutely agree with that, impossible for teams to get success on all their transfers and I'm not expecting the club to get 100% on this. The issue I have is that the percentage for us has swung since that season, and a higher percentage of our deals are now not really cutting it.

Hoedt, Carrillo, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Redmond - our main and biggest signings over the last couple of windows, and they have all been relatively crap in terms of return.

Compare that to the days when we signed Mane, Tadic, Toby, Pelle, Bertrand, Long - yes, we signed a couple of duds in that window in Gardos and Taider (if he counts), but the good certainly outweighed the bad. Similar the season before - Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo....obviously Osvaldo flopped, but the other two were mainstays.

I want to see us getting back to that – I don’t expect us to never sign a dud again, but the return on successful additions needs to be much greater, otherwise we’ll just continue to throw money down the pan.

I don't know if we could expect things to keep going as well as they did for that couple of seasons, but something has definitely gone wrong with our transfer policy, I agree. I'm just hoping that the club can learn from its mistakes.

Maddison was a promising start to the window, it just didn't work out. We have to wait and see now what comes through and then judge

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

A bit harsh.

Martina was a back-up right back and did fine, he was cheap and never a liability when called upon. Certainly wouldn't say he was any worse than Targett.

Clasie wasn't really suited to the Premier League but was far from hopeless and worked hard in a squad competing in 4 competitions.

Caulker was a loan brought in as back-up. With Gardos injured and the VVD transfer getting dragged out, he was a short term plug. Not a good one admittedly but a cheap one.

Juanmi was relatively cheap and worth a punt, a bit like Mayuka. Could have been the next Michu but wasn't and we got a reasonable chunk of money back.

I don't see why them leaving would require a replacement, last season they were not in the first team squad so don't need to be replaced.

I didn't say they would need replacing. What I meant was we wouldn't bring another CM in if either were to remain on our books/in our squad for this coming season (as they would take up that space/spaces). To be honest, I think we are well stocked at CM (even without Classie and Reed) but we do seem to have been linked with a few.

All the rumours/linked players seem to suggest our priorities are a centre-back and playmaker mid at the moment.

Happy with that myself. It is easy to come up with loads of players needed to improve the squad but we are never going to bring 8 or so new players in one summer. I don't think we can undo the issues built up in the squad, the last couple of seasons, in one transfer window. A dominant CB and a good quality 10 would certainly improve us and be a good start for next season.

Stuart Armstrong coming in apparently, a championship level player at best. Starting to believe our board think we got relegated with the Tadic deal as well. If this is our level of signings now we’re going down.

Stuart Armstrong coming in apparently, a championship level player at best. Starting to believe our board think we got relegated with the Tadic deal as well. If this is our level of signings now we’re going down.

Would be ok as a squad signing, but Lord knows we need more than that, so in context pretty uninspiring. It stinks of a Wilson signing...

Southampton are keen to beat*Leicester City in the race for FC Basel winger Mohamed Elyounoussi.

Going head to head with Leicester again [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

All the same teams watch and are interested in the same players.

Tough job to persuade anyone to join us ahead of Leicester, Everton or WHam though.

Elyounoussi would be a great signing but a few days ago Leicester were strongly linked:

http://www.espn.in/football/soccer-transfers/story/3536780/leicester-city-plan-summer-move-for-basels-mohamed-elyounoussi-sources

All the same teams watch and are interested in the same players.

Tough job to persuade anyone to join us ahead of Leicester, Everton or WHam though.

Elyounoussi would be a great signing but a few days ago Leicester were strongly linked:

http://www.espn.in/football/soccer-transfers/story/3536780/leicester-city-plan-summer-move-for-basels-mohamed-elyounoussi-sources

Yeah, not much chance of landing him if Leicester have the prospective Mahrez cash.

Transfermarkt have his best position listed as an AMC rather than winger, which is interesting.

Yes please. Terrific prospect. Never going to get a chance at City with two international keepers ahead of him, but he's good enough to be out there at the WC with England - and would be if he was playing in the Premier League.

Great investment. Unless it's a loan, of course.

Guess tha means we're cashing in on McCarthy.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

People really do drive themselves insane in the close season don't they. Quite fun just how far an absence of info can drive the conspiracies.

I especially like to see the tight/broke club narrative with the £19m on Carrillo shoehorned in. It's great stuff, keep it up.

It will always be this way. Personally I’m heartened to see the club still trying to do things their way; find value in the market and back the manager and coaches to improve them. It worked brilliantly with the likes of Mane, vvd, Wanyama, Bertrand, Cedric, Clyne etc, and I’m convinced it will work with Hojbjerg, Lemina, maybe even Hoedt. If it weren’t for poor coaches, it wouldn’t surprise me if we were fending off offers for Lemina and Hojbjerg now. But that will have to wait for another year. The same could apply for Armstrong, Gunn, Gibson, whoever we sign. The problem recently hasn’t been our recruitment; we have brought in good players who I’m convinced will prove themselves under the right manager. The issue has been the inability of Pellegrino and Puel to improve them and get the best out of them. Get the manager right, and all the other good stuff the club do will also come to the fore.