Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Although Long is sometimes played as a lone front man, he isn't really a striker in the centre forward mold. Because the squad only has Gabbiadini and Austin for that role, would be why the club is expected to buy a striker. Can't see them selling one which would rule out Gabbiadini leaving, especially with three years still to go on his contract.

In an ideal world we should have shipped out Long, Austin, Carillo and Gallagher this summer and had a complete revamp forward wise.

Will settle for getting rid of Long in addition to Carillo and Gallagher, which would allow for some change, although Carillo will probably need loaning out for three years whilst we pay his transfer off which shows what a cluster**** of a signing it was.

Need to sign one high class striker though as Gabbi is flaky as **** and Austin an unfit carthorse.

Gabbi is by far our highest quality forward. So disappointing if he goes without even getting a run recently. He only had a couple of months in a vaguely attacking side here and did very well. I'd rather lose Austin than him, and Long needs to go.

Guess getting Alcacer would make up for it though.

Alacer certainly has pedigree, but at 5'7" I do worry how suited he is to our game.

No idea if Alcacer is any good or worth a try. Suppose he fit's the Les prototype of "not quite having made it at a mega club".

Similarly, the Man from Atalanta, Andrea Petagna, mentioned on here, would be a gamble. His goal record isn't great,so is that likely to change with us, or is he a target man that someone like Gabbiadini can play off?

Personally, I can't believe we'll start the season relying on Long, Austin,or an injury prone Ings.

About a month to go, funny window so far, have sold our best and most reliable creator but appear to have made two solid signings, albeit unproven at PL level with a third on the way, which looks promising. Nice to see early business as well.

Still need:

1 x GK (if we manage to move Forster on)

1 x RB

1 x CB (seemingly Vestergaard)

1 x Wide Attacker (if Boufal goes)

1 x Striker (to start. Long and Austin aren't good enough if we want to get back to top 10)

About a month to go, funny window so far, have sold our best and most reliable creator but appear to have made two solid signings, albeit unproven at PL level with a third on the way, which looks promising. Nice to see early business as well.

Still need:

1 x RB

1 x Striker (to start. Long and Austin aren't good enough if we want to get back to top 10)

Assuming Gunn costs £15m... Vestergaard is £18m... plus add a winger & striker.

I'm assuming we're going to have to sell more than Boufal to pay for it?

Still need:

1 x RB

Once Vestergaard signs I think this will be pretty much it as far as incoming transfers go for this window. If we can foist FF on someone, I'd expect us to bring another keeper in, and we may bring in some cheapo backup player as a right back, but that'll be that.

Once Vestergaard signs I think this will be pretty much it as far as incoming transfers go for this window. If we can foist FF on someone, I'd expect us to bring another keeper in, and we may bring in some cheapo backup player as a right back, but that'll be that.

We're still looking for a striker apparently, that will likley be our last addition.

From BBC reporter Simon Stone on Twitter...

“Angus Gunn close to joining @SouthamptonFC from Man City. Would be permanent deal. Other clubs interested but Saints head the queue. Very highly-rated keeper.”

Bye-bye Forster? Would be surprised if Gunn would be happy to be back-up to McCarthy given his potential.

“Angus Gunn close to joining @SouthamptonFC from Man City. Would be permanent deal. Other clubs interested but Saints head the queue. Very highly-rated keeper.”

Bye-bye Forster? Would be surprised if Gunn would be happy to be back-up to McCarthy given his potential.

Simon Stone is pretty clued-in about the Manchester clubs.

He adds...

@sistoney67: This is one of those tough situations. Everyone at City - and many other places - know this lad is going to be very good and potential England keeper one day. But Ederson number one. Bravo on big money and Grimshaw just signed new deal. He can go somewhere good and play.

I really don't get this Gunn move for both parties. Why would Gunn come sit on our bench rather than getting first team football elsewhere? Why would we drop McCarthy to second choice after being our POTS? I don't understand how it works.
Goalkeepers get injured and more chance to play cup games for us than at City?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I really don't get this Gunn move for both parties. Why would Gunn come sit on our bench rather than getting first team football elsewhere? Why would we drop McCarthy to second choice after being our POTS? I don't understand how it works.

It looks like he is fourth choice at City. Assuming that FF goes he would be second choice here or challenging for a starting place I suppose.

It is an unusual move. But I love us signing up highly rated young talent.

Where the hell is Forster going to go?!

If McCarthy loses form or heaven forbid gets injured do you really want Forster or the U21s keeper between the sticks ?

McCarthy has issues with injuries has done all his career and FF isn’t good enough

I also think it is really important, in the keeper's position especially, to have genuine competition. For a few years Forster had none whatsoever and it showed in his performances. I think Gunn would be an excellent signing and if he is as good as people say, he'll be genuinely challenging McCarthy for the spot very soon. For me it is exciting. An exceptional goalkeeper makes a significant difference to a defence. Paul Jones was always a decent keeper but when Antti replaced him, he transformed a good defence into one of our best ever defensive units.

It is odd on the face of it - I think Gunn might even be a better keeper than McCarthy already, despite his age.

Perhaps McCarthy would only sign his new contract if there was a Les Reed special "gentleman's agreement" that he'd get a transfer after one more season, so we want to bed his replacement in. Or maybe he's got a release clause that would leave us powerless if anybody did make a move for him at the last minute.

I think Gunn's a massive talent. So perhaps the simplest answer is - after years of giving our keeper an easy ride - we're actually signing serious competition to push hard for the starting jersey. Long term, Gunn's going to win that battle, I'd imagine.

Still doesn't explain why he'd give up another season's experience playing every week in the Championship for probably only a handful of games - but maybe he's confident that he'll force his way in sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm all for signing quality youngsters rather than aging journeyman to back up and push for a place in every position.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't we want two competent 'keepers challenging for a place in the team?

Did I miss the vote/award of player of the season? I don't remember one happening. Who won the YPOTS?

I also think it is really important, in the keeper's position especially, to have genuine competition. For a few years Forster had none whatsoever and it showed in his performances. I think Gunn would be an excellent signing and if he is as good as people say, he'll be genuinely challenging McCarthy for the spot very soon. For me it is exciting. An exceptional goalkeeper makes a significant difference to a defence. Paul Jones was always a decent keeper but when Antti replaced him, he transformed a good defence into one of our best ever defensive units.

This!

Been crying out for some proper competition in this area for ages.

I'm not sure it's that odd really. We want proper competition for places and he's a young English talent which we pride ourselves on being interested in.

He will look at us as a club which continually improves young players. He'll look at Hughes and what he did for Butland. He'll back himself to get in the team and stay there when given a chance but in the meantime he'll improve more here as a player than under a Championship team development.

Will we get in another keeper to be third choice? In the Stuart Taylor, Richard Wright, Kevin Miller mould or will Jack Rose now be 3rd choice.

I suppose one of either Jack Rose or Harry Lewis would be No.3 GK.

(One of them will be loaned out, I'd guess).

I'm not sure it's that odd really. We want proper competition for places and he's a young English talent which we pride ourselves on being interested in.

He will look at us as a club which continually improves young players. He'll look at Hughes and what he did for Butland. He'll back himself to get in the team and stay there when given a chance but in the meantime he'll improve more here as a player than under a Championship team development.

Not a smart move imo.. why not use the money to upgrade on Redmond or on another central defender as well as vestergaard Forster seems fine as a number two as long as he's happy to stay and fight for it

Not a smart move imo.. why not use the money to upgrade on Redmond or on another central defender as well as vestergaard Forster seems fine as a number two as long as he's happy to stay and fight for it
Are you being serious you think if McCarthy gets injured you want Forster in goal???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk