Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

I think the issue many have was that our forwards were utterly appalling last season. It was our biggest (and most obvious) failing.

It got that bad, we paid a club record fee for a donkey. Said Donkey has now gone out on loan to a very small club and we are in the exact same position as we were in Jan (when we needed to act big)

Hopefully, hughes will bring out a performance in Gabbi and Austin will stay fit for a long run of consecutive games.

Long.....errr

I think the issue many have was that our forwards were utterly appalling last season. It was our biggest (and most obvious) failing.

It got that bad, we paid a club record fee for a donkey. Said Donkey has now gone out on loan to a very small club and we are in the exact same position as we were in Jan (when we needed to act big)

Hopefully, hughes will bring out a performance in Gabbi and Austin will stay fit for a long run of consecutive games.

Long.....errr

No we aren't 'in the exact same position as we were in Jan'. We have a different manager who will play with a different set-up and approach to matches. We are also starting on exactly the same amount of points as every other team; not trailing behind most of them. Austin was out injured in Jan; hopefully he will be fit to start the season. Gallagher was out on a season's long loan (i.e. we were unable to recall him); currently he is still at Saints. So, far from being 'in the exact same position as we were in Jan'.

Oh, and the transfer window hasn't closed yet.

I do understand that you like to use 'sensational diatribe' in your continual slagging of SFC (i.e. the circa 100k thing you keep peddling, despite knowing full well it is below 100k; why not use circa 90k or circa 80k? - answer because it is better to use circa 100k when trying to bash the club). Obvious troll is obvious. And it's a shame because you do, at times, write some decent posts on here.

No we aren't 'in the exact same position as we were in Jan'. We have a different manager who will play with a different set-up and approach to matches. We are also starting on exactly the same amount of points as every other team; not trailing behind most of them. Austin was out injured in Jan; hopefully he will be fit to start the season. Gallagher was out on a season's long loan (i.e. we were unable to recall him); currently he is still at Saints. So, far from being 'in the exact same position as we were in Jan'.

Oh, and the transfer window hasn't closed yet.

I do understand that you like to use 'sensational diatribe' in your continual slagging of SFC (i.e. the circa 100k thing you keep peddling, despite knowing full well it is below 100k; why not use circa 90k or circa 80k? - answer because it is better to use circa 100k when trying to bash the club). Obvious troll is obvious. And it's a shame because you do, at times, write some decent posts on here.

But Batman is right on the Transfer Window as it shows we are going to be a lower middle PL team at the best I don't think we have ever paid in excess of £20m for a player

We have good players but not any really good players I would have thought so expectations of any success are going to be low

Glass half empty view, or possibly completely empty

Or on the flip side, a player with champs league experience who scored 17 in his first season with celtic and whos second season was marred by injury; a promising centreback who also has champs league experience was a consistent performer in the bundesliga; a young backup GK who was excellent in the championship last year and is being touted as a future england international; and an exciting winger who made his mark with some very good performances in the champs league

Out -Tadic, great servant but for large parts of the last two seasons was ineffective. Boufal - exciting talent ruined by a selfish attitude, not to mention spends more time on the deck than on his feet

My attitude too

Exactly right but a little lower than average I would have thought unless we get a couple of top class players in or the squad performs better than in the two recent seasons

What's a good striker?

People are going to be disappointed. Unless we can be the one club to unearth someone unexpectedly brilliant, it's huge money for average forwards who don't score much. Wish that wasn't the case. But Carrillo, Mitrovic, Origi, all huge prices and limited use.

People bang on about not rating Gallagher or not giving him a chance, but the bar is so low. If Gallagher was someone else's, one good championship season and we couldn't afford him. That's how insane the market is now. We will struggle to get better than the misfiring strikers we've got, so try one of our own.

I think we're more in need of another creator as we're heavily reliant on Redmond and Mo now. I rate JWP highly but not sure Hughes does. Excited for the season but really hope it's not a third manager in a row to set up negatively each game.

Great post & agree with all of it.

I’m a 6/10. The new signings are ok but nothing groundbreaking and nothing has changed in attack at this moment. We still have the same front line who huffed and puffed all last season despite having plenty of opportunities.

The likes of Ings being linked does not inspire me, we need another budding Mane type player who is quick and tricky to open up defences.

All the evidence you need to see that Darlek is a visionary.

Southampton. Average position - 17th :lol:

In my mind, that table also shows that we are the 11th biggest club in England.

I've been encouraged by the signings we have made, they are certainly inkeeping with the types of players I feel we should be going for, and at the same time seeking to address obvious problem areas.

I do think we need another attacker though, and at this stage I would take either another CF or a wide attacking midfielder. I share the concern with others that Austin, Gabbiadini & Long might not be sufficient, but equally they all have their strengths and for what we can afford we're not likely to be able to get anyone better than a squad rotation player. However, getting rid of Tadic and Boufal and only replacing them with Elyounoussi is a bit of a risk. Elyounoussi strikes me as more of a 'dribbler', which means we will be lacking a player with a bit of guile and creativity. If I'm wrong about Elyounoussi and he is a better Tadic replacement, then we are thus still missing a player who can influence games with the ball at his feet.

I can still hope Redmond shows a big improvement, but after the past couple of seasons I don't want us to be reliant on that, certainly if he continues to play on the left.

I like the players that we have actually signed - all have the potential to be good signings in key positions.

The main question I would have is, given the current situation of needing to sell to buy another player (a much needed attacker), why were we so keen to spend £12-15m on a backup GK in Gunn?

Whilst he is clearly a high potential player we have signed McCarthy to a long deal and also have another extremely high paid player who is now an even bigger problem as you simply cannot have a third choice GK on that kind of cash. Clearly when we signed Gunn there wasnt a done deal for Forster to leave.

I imagine they really wanted Gunn and knew if we didnt move now he would go elsewhere. But given the current situation, that cash could have been put towards a forward, and maybe Gunn could have been signed later in the window depending on who we could shift?

Also....we had an offer in excess of £20m accepted for Maddison. I wonder if we had signed him how that woukd have impacted our other signings, as we ended up signing Armstrong in that position for significantly less? Shows how fluid the window is I guess.

Newcastle, Southampton and Everton among the side tracking Toulouse centre-back Christopher Jullien, according to local sources. #NUFC #SaintsFC

From a verified French sports writer this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was the manager then I would cash in Lemina and get this decent centre back plus with the spare change get a decent striker like Sisto or Das Bost.

Why is there such a demand to sell Lemina?? If he reproduces performances like at Wembley, fair enough, but.....

It all depends if Hughes can get the best out of him.

When he first started games for us he looked class but then his form declined and he looked miserable on the putch and a bit disinterested.

News-now gets loaded with articles like that. It's normally something like 'Southampton could solve their attacking problems by this signing this Manchester United forward' and I'm normally thinking "they must have some young reserve kid I've never heard of" and it turns out it's Rashford they are talking about, FFS.

News-now gets loaded with articles like that. It's normally something like 'Southampton could solve their attacking problems by this signing this Manchester United forward' and I'm normally thinking "they must have some young reserve kid I've never heard of" and it turns out it's Rashford they are talking about, FFS.

Agreed - I used to use newsnow to pick up all the gossip across the papers but it is pointless these days. Wish you could just turn off alerts from sources such as transfertavern etc full of sensationalist headlines!

Judging by Leitch in the Echo, I think we are done.

Considering we got the VVD money in Jan and have also sold Tadic, its clear they won't spend any more than what is generated by sales.

Across Jan and this summer I still make us up net spend wise, so with the TV cash untouched for transfers the club must be in an extremely healthy financial position versus other clubs.

Considering we got the VVD money in Jan and have also sold Tadic, its clear they won't spend any more than what is generated by sales.

Across Jan and this summer I still make us up net spend wise, so with the TV cash untouched for transfers the club must be in an extremely healthy financial position versus other clubs.

I think we have a huge wage bill when you look at the size of the squad and fact players like Stephens and Targett on on 40-50k a week. I think we sink revenue from transfer fees into the wage bill as well as transfer fees for incoming players.

Agreed - I used to use newsnow to pick up all the gossip across the papers but it is pointless these days. Wish you could just turn off alerts from sources such as transfertavern etc full of sensationalist headlines!

Actually you can filter out the sources you don’t like - just click on the publication name under the headline and select hide publication

Glad it wasn't just me, mate!

Actually you can filter out the sources you don’t like - just click on the publication name under the headline and select hide publication

Mind. Blown. (Cheers for posting that!)

He said on Total Saints Podcast he thinks we want one more.

Wages cost so much though. We are still likely carrying big chunks of Boufal / Carillo / Clasie wages. Plus a keeper we don't want at 90k a week.

I think if we had the cash, we'd spend it.

Its almost like there are no other costs associated with running a football club other than buying and selling players..

Its almost like there are no other costs associated with running a football club other than buying and selling players..

same for everyone though. We are not the only side to pay wages, agents, fees.

we appear to be the only side in the prem that requires to sell before buying. Net spend champions year after year

we appear to be the only side in the prem that requires to sell before buying. Net spend champions year after year

We were quite high up in the net spend table for this season I thought?

Some teams like Burnley and Newcastle aren't doing much at all.

How many times have we seen this line trotted out to "defend" the club over the years?

At first it was to due to corteses over spending, we had to be frugal because of that, which I got. The last two or three years really it's incredible that year after year we make a profit from the transfer market, we have glaring holes in our squad and people put the line out "yeah but there are wages, contracts, agents fees, bonuses....." Like we are the only club that has to pay these things out. We aren't, every other club has these too but no other club has consistently sold so many players and made so much profit from transfers. Don't we even pride ourselves on keeping agents fees low? I've certainly seen a lot of backslapping in the past about how great it is we don't let agents take the p*ss.

the long and short of it is we are back to being run exactly the same way as were when we were Southampton Leisure Holdings PLC. Can only spend in transfers what we bring In, selling off quality and replacing them with cheaper alternatives leaving us and buying in "ones for the future/squad" with a bloated squad full of average players where you cant pick a best eleven, because there aren't any players apart from one or two that stand out.

How many times have we seen this line trotted out to "defend" the club over the years?

At first it was to due to corteses over spending, we had to be frugal because of that, which I got. The last two or three years really it's incredible that year after year we make a profit from the transfer market, we have glaring holes in our squad and people put the line out "yeah but there are wages, contracts, agents fees, bonuses....." Like we are the only club that has to pay these things out. We aren't, every other club has these too but no other club has consistently sold so many players and made so much profit from transfers. Don't we even pride ourselves on keeping agents fees low? I've certainly seen a lot of backslapping in the past about how great it is we don't let agents take the p*ss.

the long and short of it is we are back to being run exactly the same way as were when we were Southampton Leisure Holdings PLC. Can only spend in transfers what we bring In, selling off quality and replacing them with cheaper alternatives leaving us and buying in "ones for the future/squad" with a bloated squad full of average players where you cant pick a best eleven, because there aren't any players apart from one or two that stand out.

Someone posted a comprehensive summary of the financial accounts for Cortese's final months. Showed the first profit excluding player trades since administration or something? Regardless, we were all told the club was buggered financially and seemingly continue to be despite year kn year record player sales and TV revenues... I suppose, we were also told that no players would be sold that summer and we all know what happened when the season ticket deadline expired don't we...

Haven’t quoted one of yours in a good few years Turk.

But in the end of the day, we all want what’s best for our club and you’re on the money here.

Cul de sac.