Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

I don’t see it happening in a million years but i’d be over the ****ing moon if Danny Welbeck was wearing a Saints shirt at the end of this week.

Yep. He's got pace and can finish. We've not got another forward with both qualities. Would be a good addition.

I would be disappointed if Wellbeck turns out to be Reed and Wilson's answer to our goal scoring problems.

He just a younger version of Long - has great pace and energy, but a bad first touch and not a great football brain. He's only highly rated by some as he came through the ranks at Man Utd and then never played for Arsenal. He'd never have played for England if he'd come through at a lesser club. His stats are actually pretty bad. And at his age he is not really going to get any better - probably worse as he gets slower.

If he really is on £100K plus a week we are only going to get stuck with another highly paid player that just not good enough. Lets hope its just season long loan at worst.

The only advantage as I see it is he is one of those cr*p strikers that always seem to score against us.

I'd prefer we took a risk on a player like Moussa Dembele at Celtic - who at 22 has a lot of potential to get better.

In terms of profile of striker that we need - someone who can hold the ball up or work the channels - I can’t think of many better than Welbeck, in terms of realistic signings. Getting Welbeck in would turn a half-decent window into a very good one IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of profile of striker that we need - someone who can hold the ball up or work the channels - I can’t think of many better than Welbeck, in terms of realistic signings. Getting Welbeck in would turn a half-decent window into a very good one IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for me. Not enough quality at the back or up front.

As I said before would rather we gambled on an up and coming talent, rather than an injury prone, doesn't score regularly and is soon to be 28 Wellbeck.

Moussa Dembele at Celtic, Maxi Gomez at Celta or Santi Mina at Valencia.

Not sure why everyone would be ‘delighted’ with a striker who since joining Arsenal has scored 5, 2, 4 and 4 PL goals in a season.

I guess expectations are just that low these days.

In terms of minutes on the pitch last season (league and Europa League), he averaged a goal or assist just over every other game. No idea what that’s like in comparison to our strikers though.

Not sure why everyone would be ‘delighted’ with a striker who since joining Arsenal has scored 5, 2, 4 and 4 PL goals in a season.

I guess expectations are just that low these days.

A current England striker isn't good enough for Saints? Seriously? Your expectations are certainly high...

I say Welbeck would be a good signing. Also can play cf, and off the cf as part of a 4-3-3. Decent player. If we get him, good squad? Well like someone above says, if we play 3 cbs then we are short on decent cb's. Hopefully can play Bertrand as one of the cb's though, alongside Yoshida and Vestegaard.

Fine up front for me if we sign Welbeck. Not sure centre mid. Not a Lemina fan at all. Hoijberg, Romeu and Ward-Prowse competing for 2 positions? Not ideal, but could work.

Should be fine this season if we sign Welbeck.

Some guy on Not606 saying that JWP is unhappy and wants the move so we shouldn't be surprised if he goes. Let's see. Can't imagine we'd let him go without using the proceeds elsewhere before the window closes.

Yes please to Welbeck, he started out as a striker but now offers something across all the attacking positions, a bit like Gabbiadini. I do feel we need an out and out striker long term, but right now I would take any attacking player that has some kind of pedigree as I feel it is a position we are weakest in, and Welbeck is pretty good overall, if not exactly known for his goalscoring exploits.

For a season-long loan with an option to buy, this would be a no-brainer. For a permanent transfer, for the right money of course, I wouldn't be against it.

In reality though, despite being linked with a number of attacking players this summer, I don't think anyone else will be brought in. A mistake perhaps, but at least one we can resolve in January, if the powers-that-be have learned from their lessons of last January.

A current England striker isn't good enough for Saints? Seriously? Your expectations are certainly high...

He's only a 'current England striker' because beyond Kane, Rashford and Vardy there is very little else, Glen Murray, Rooney and our own Austin outscored Wellbeck last year.

I mean Sterling got played ahead of him, out of position and hasn't scored for England for like 30 games and I think only the spare goalkeepers got less gametime at the world cup than Wellbeck.

Anyone know what happened with Promes? Was it all a load of rubbish, or did we burn our bridges to do the deal in the summer? Or did his club just want too much money in the end?

Promes was linked when MoPe was manager. I wonder if Hughes didn't think he'd suit his 5-3-2 system? Or maybe we steered clear after his alleged off field 'issue'.

Not happening if that is the case. Club's PR mouthpiece dulling fan expectations once again.

Jeremy Wilson suggests that any move away from Arsenal regarding welbeck is a fair way off as it stands (did not suggest any destinations)